Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung Galaxy S6

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭dan786

Hi,

Anyone have a link to Three preorders page ?

Can't find anything on their site and no email either although I registered my interest

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Mundane

dan786 wrote: »
    Hi,

Anyone have a link to Three preorders page ?

Can't find anything on their site and no email either although I registered my interest

three.ie/web/samsung-galaxy-s6/

three.ie/web/samsung-galaxy-s6-edge/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

Are three the only ones to release their bill plans so far?

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Jason2379

Is the Edge available in 32GB? I'm only seeing prices for the 64GB models.

Also, I'd like to preorder but black seems to be the only colour that you can choose...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Flaccus

I was onto them earlier and you can preorder black or white according to chap I spoke with.
    But only 64gb. The regular version is available in 32gb but didn't go into prices.

Was playing with the idea of cancelling my M9 order but it was too far along.
    They wanted 369 for the edge and delivery in 10-12 days.
    If I want I can refuse delivery of the M9 and order the Edge once they have verified the M9 is returned to them, but the M9 was less 120 euro, so 369 is hard pill to swallow.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Cotts72 wrote: »
    I'll be sticking with 3 anyway,can't afford the prepay or sim free options! The free wireless charger is handy
    3 emailed me about the S6 being available for pre-order but no mention of a free wireless charger?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

byte wrote: »
    3 emailed me about the S6 being available for pre-order but no mention of a free wireless charger?

I ordered mine this evening. No mention of a free wireless charger with it, but I thought I read somewhere that if you preordered it you got one. Just have to find a decent case now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

It's only for the edge. Any idea what stock is going to be like? Birthday is the 22nd and pay day the 23rd so would like to pick one up on prepay around then, presumably I shouldn't have much difficulty?

I got an email about the s6 edge, it mentions there that it comes with it when preordered. I wonder is it the same for the normal s6.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

I for one will not be buying one of these and I will defo not be buying something before its been about in the general public for a bit again. I preordered an Alpha and its turned out to be utterly sh1t. It has totally turned me off Samsung and I am even considering not sticking with Android as I have had to use an iphone ( my first ) while my Alpha was being fixed and I kinda like it !
    I am disgusted any company could produce something as awful at its basic job ( taking and making calls ) and get away with it.
    The guy in the Samsung shop told me to offload it to someone on Donedeal !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭UnknownSpecies

RobAMerc wrote: »
    I for one will not be buying one of these and I will defo not be buying something before its been about in the general public for a bit again. I preordered an Alpha and its turned out to be utterly sh1t. It has totally turned me off Samsung and I am even considering not sticking with Android as I have had to use an iphone ( my first ) while my Alpha was being fixed and I kinda like it !
    I am disgusted any company could produce something as awful at its basic job ( taking and making calls ) and get away with it.
    The guy in the Samsung shop told me to offload it to someone on Donedeal !

I've had nothing but Samsung phones and they've all served me well. Yours is just one experience. For me, iPhone can't do half of what I am used to doing with Android, but your mileage may vary. Wouldn't base Samsungs reputation on the Alpha either...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

dorgasm wrote: »
    I've had nothing but Samsung phones and they've all served me well. Yours is just one experience. For me, iPhone can't do half of what I am used to doing with Android, but your mileage may vary. Wouldn't base Samsungs reputation on the Alpha either...
    I have had all Galaxy S' from 1 through 4 and now the Alpha, I have enjoyed them all up to this point but I have found the Alpha so bad ( I missed 10 calls one morning alone ) that I cannot face buying another.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭UnknownSpecies

RobAMerc wrote: »
    I have had all Galaxy S' from 1 through 4 and now the Alpha, I have enjoyed them all up to this point but I have found the Alpha so bad ( I missed 10 calls one morning alone ) that I cannot face buying another.

That's fair enough then. It's just that I've seen people say the same as you, but they've only ever had a crappy Galaxy Ace or worse. The reviews of the S6 have gotten me very excited though, I think it could be worth your while giving it another chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,010 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

Where is the preorder page on the three website ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,717 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Has anyone actually used the S6? The design may be flashier, but it still feels like a cheap peice of plastic... The gorilla glass covers are actually acrylic, and it feels nasty to hold. It is incredibly light weight, in a bad way. I went from holding a HTC M9 to holding the S6 and the difference in quality was truly shocking, try pick up both in the shop...

Also, while the curved screen on the edge is a novelty, it actually causes more problems than it fixes, particularly in my big hands. I found it awkward to hold and was constantly pressing the screen when I didn't want to.

I'm amazed that the reviews don't mention any of this, but then most of the reviews have a very similar tone for some reason...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 383 ✭✭surpy

Where is the preorder page on the three website ?

http://www.three.ie/web/samsung-galaxy-s6/
    http://www.three.ie/web/samsung-galaxy-s6-edge/

read the small print
    Pre-Order from Three Ireland to ... make sure you get your phone after the general release date, 10th April*.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭beardo81

Bluefoam wrote: »
    Has anyone actually used the S6? The design may be flashier, but it still feels like a cheap peice of plastic... The gorilla glass covers are actually acrylic, and it feels nasty to hold. It is incredibly light weight, in a bad way. I went from holding a HTC M9 to holding the S6 and the difference in quality was truly shocking, try pick up both in the shop...

Also, while the curved screen on the edge is a novelty, it actually causes more problems than it fixes, particularly in my big hands. I found it awkward to hold and was constantly pressing the screen when I didn't want to.

I'm amazed that the reviews don't mention any of this, but then most of the reviews have a very similar tone for some reason...

Acrylic, its not glass like say an iPhone 4? Thought the premium glass finish was the big deal?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Cotts72

surpy wrote: »

Oh balls, I never read that :( that will curb my excitement for few more days! Where's a decent spot to get a cover for the edge?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,010 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

surpy wrote: »

Grand, I ordered it form Vodafone on an upgrade anyway so all good

Cheers !

Cotts72 wrote: »
    Oh balls, I never read that :( that will curb my excitement for few more days! Where's a decent spot to get a cover for the edge?

I ordered mine from 3 last night. The girl on the phone said the courier will receive it on Thursday and I will have it on Friday.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 59 ✭✭thomqs

Is the 26 edge only available in black from three?

Is the s6 edge only available in black from three?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Cotts72

thomqs wrote: »
    Is the s6 edge only available in black from three?

That was the only option given, someone posted earlier that you can get white also

I searched but only found black, also since it will work on o2 and three, will it likely be unlocked if you buy from them, like the note 4?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭paddydriver

Went into the Samsung shop in Dundrum this evening and had a good play with both the S6 and Edge. Not sure I am convinced.. The regular S6 seems like an S5 with metal case and no waterproofing, has a very protruding camera and looks like it will be a balls to repair if any issues. No access screws so it will have to come apart with force if anything breaks. The finish too is not fully up to scratch, still that slight dust gathering gap between screen and frame.

The Edge is nice but the wrap around screen cannot give many benefits as it really only goes about 1.5mm around the side and it is not "Edge" as there is still a big 1mm bezel at the "Edge". Compared it to the Note 4 Edge and its screen wraps around much more, though it is a deeper phone.

Can see micro scratches on the back of both of them, and that's just from being on display in the shops so cannot see the back being very resilient in day to day real life, many will put a cover on it and that will take away from the whole point of putting the glass back on it.

Don't have an issue with no SD card as I do feel they affect Android performance, especially on the photo apps on the Galaxy's, whilst on the battery front, I don't expect to be using the phone for long enough to get to the stage that battery performance starts to degrade.

On the plus side, cannot believe how light they have got the phone - you end up wondering is there a battery in it at all or is it just running off USB. The screen on both of them is very nice and performance feels nippy, but would have seen that on any display model of a phone - its when it goes into use and apps get installed etc. that the real test is.

Now.. before all ye Samsung defenders jump on, Me has gone through every iteration SGS > S5 with Note 3 and Note 4 too, latter being my current handset. I personally will look forward to the Note 5 Edge as I hope any issues with the S6 will be ironed out and I really hope Note 5 Edge is a winner.

My tuppence worth..:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

Good to have a few different opinions, I need to have a play with one myself before I bite the bullet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

This on display in Galway or Limerick?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Flaccus

Bluefoam wrote: »
    The gorilla glass covers are actually acrylic, and it feels nasty to hold.

Interesting, so have they put acrylic covers (which scratch easily) over gorilla glass 4 front and back. ?

According to this it's corning gorilla glass 4 on both sides.
    http://www.corninggorillaglass.com/en/products-with-gorilla/samsung/samsung-galaxy-s6-edge

Putting acrylic over this would make no sense at all. Sony did something similar though and put some kind of plastic protective coating on the Z2 front glass, which I believe wasn't made by Corning. So maybe Samsung have done the same. But it definitely felt like glass to me in the shop. I could see the marks on the back allright but they just looked like usual smudges and not micro scratches. The only way I can imaging it would get scratches is from sand or grit.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Mundane

For anybody hoping for variety from 3....

Welcome to Live Chat.
    Someone will start chatting with you soon.
    You're through to xxxxx.
    xxxxx: Hello,My name is xxxxx. Welcome to Three Sales Support.
    xxxxx: How may I help you today ?
    You: Hi, I'm trying to pre-order the Samsung Galaxy S6 but can't seem to find how to change from 32gig to 64gig model.
    xxxxx: I'll be glad to assist with your query.
    xxxxx: Samsung galaxy s6 is only available with 32GB and samsung galaxy s6 edge is available with 64GB.
    xxxxx: Which phone would you prefer?
    You: I wan't the regular S6 but 32gig is too small. I know Samsung have a 64 gig and 128 gig version, will Three not be stocking these?
    xxxxx: At the moment we only have these two versions,Keep an eye on our website for further detail information.
    You: Ok, thank you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭starlit

Have they decided on a planned budget yet for it all I've come across is I think roughly 400-500euro?

Advertisement