Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung Galaxy S6

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,319 ✭✭✭Chet T16

Had a play with an S6 edge in Dundrum today, totally sold on them now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭Cotts72

Carphonewarehouse have opened up pre orders on s6 32gb and edge 64gb, only available in black and white tho so gonna hold off until networks kick off

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Cotts72 wrote: »
    Carphonewarehouse have opened up pre orders on s6 32gb and edge 64gb, only available in black and white tho so gonna hold off until networks kick off
    Weird, was just gonna post about same. €50 deposit and a free case. God knows what sort of case would be included.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,107 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

What are the bets Vodafone will have their €75 plan and still charge a few quid for the S6?

byte wrote: »
    Weird, was just gonna post about same. €50 deposit and a free case. God knows what sort of case would be included.

Free wireless charger with the edge preorder! Spent 2 years with Vodafone which was torture so I'll more than likely stick with 3, hopefully they'll have a good deal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,022 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

My Samsung S Plus has started receiving old texts for a couple of days on and off regularly (as two examples I've got the same two messages from a contact probably every hour since the weekend, and in any conversation through text I have received duplicates of every text twice/three times over). My battery randomly died before Christmas and Vodafone (my network obviously) told me it was to do with the warranty expiring or something and that I should send it off to Samsung. But as I basically need my phone for work/training teams I was reluctant to do so*. Then this texting bug has developed in the new year and it's extremely irritating as I'm even more busy on the phone.

*re-installed all my previous apps instead, and the phone had memorised all conversations/contacts/matches etc.

If anyone can either a) direct me to the right forum or b) enlighten me with a solution to the problem that would be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

I notice it's bill pay only. Bit odd they won't take a preorder for prepay, I know they push bill pay but hardly much point in limiting potential customers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 383 ✭✭surpy

Anyone want to make a guess at 3 prepay prices?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

surpy wrote: »

Exceptionally close to NETFREE retail pricing. It's gonna hurt.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭5star02707

surpy wrote: »

rough guess 650/750eu starting price (32gb) then add couple of hundreds (100eu or 200eu) depending on the size.

• Advertisement

How long do we reckon before networks open pre-orders?

Cotts72 wrote: »
    How long do we reckon before networks open pre-orders?

three.ie already has it on pre order ;) not sure about the other networks,

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

5star02707 wrote: »
    three.ie already has it on pre order ;) not sure about the other networks,
    They do?

I only see an otpion to pre-register, not pre-order (like with the HTC M9)

byte wrote: »
    They do?

I only see an otpion to pre-register, not pre-order (like with the HTC M9)

oops then my bad, yea they haven't released a pre order link atm. jsut pre-register

They'll be in shops, I believe, around April 8/9

• Registered Users Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

April 11th the guy in the Samsung shop in Swords told me today. Very nice looking devices, the edge doesn't really add much functionally imho, but it looks awesome, would be tempted, the plain S6 is also a fabulous looking device, hand over fist the best Samsungs ever, they have built on what they started with the premium build of the Note 4 and by losing waterproofing and the replaceable battery built a device that easily rivals the iPhone 6 in the design and build stakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,552 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

I wasn't impressed by the iPhone 6 in any respect, certainly not design or build quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Flaccus

I wasn't impressed by the iPhone 6 in any respect, certainly not design or build quality.

I take it you are being sarcastic.
    The IP6 has amazing build quality and I have had an M8, Note 4 and Z3 and I believe the 6 is miles ahead. For one, Apple are very careful with their manufacturing process on the 6 when it comes to aluminium. The M8 I found easily scratched/chipped more so than the 6 on the back. The camera on the M8 was a disaster due to the plastic protective lense which had a crappy coating that scratched up. No such problems on the IP6 with the saphire lense. The M8 also had those awful rocker buttons, and as for the Note 4, it was lousy. Using the official samsung protective case scratched the chrome finished bezel edges and certain headphone plugs would erode the painted finish around the headphone jack. Not the only one who has these issues. I liked the Z3 though, but I had issues with what looked like glue under the bottom left panel edge which causes light leakage :( The only minus I can think of on the IP6 is the potential to scratch the so called 'ion-stenghtened' glass easily (or at least the coating), though I never had that issue.

However I am willing to give the S6 edge a go as I believe from holding it in the hand it matches the IP6 in terms of build quality. The design is nicer than the IP6 too but I think that's subjective. To each his own.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,552 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

No, I'm not. In design terms it's another oblong slab with slightly rounder corners than some other ones. Hardly thrilling or inventive.

In build quality, it's perfectly fine but it's no savile row suit. Whether it's subjectively better than some other phone doesn't change that basic fact.

No, I'm not. In design terms it's another oblong slab with slightly rounder corners than some other ones. Hardly thrilling or inventive.

In build quality, it's perfectly fine but it's no savile row suit. Whether it's subjectively better than some other phone doesn't change that basic fact.

Change what basic fact ? That's it's not a suit ?
    Name 1 phone which has better build quality at the moment than the IP6 ? Perhaps the M8/M9 but again I don't think the aluminium on these HTC phones matches the 6 for quality going by imperfections and nicks in the finish or propensity for picking up marks. Maybe the Z3 I think. I definitely thought it was close to the IP6, perhaps a match. But again none of these phones are 'savile row' suits either and definitely not as svelte as the IP6. The Note 4 is just average build quality in my view. Of course I'm only speaking from personal experience having owned most flag ship phones over the last few years. I haven't taken the thing apart of had a materials scientist look at it :)

As I said design is a subjective thing. I know a couple of people who don't like the Edge and others who hate the glass back. I love the design. As regards the IP6, I think the bezels could be smaller for sure. But most phones today are definitely slab like. I think perhaps the IP5s looked nicer than the 6 design wise.

Personally I will be moving from the IP6 to the S6 Edge if three do decent upgrade prices as I am now due one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

Thread is about the GALAXY S6 lads, Samsung device?!

sentient_6 wrote: »
    Thread is about the GALAXY S6 lads, Samsung device?!

Indeed, I will shutup about the 6 now. I just found it odd someone commented on the 6's build quality considering it is highly regarded for that regardless of what you think about the design.

I'm looking forward to the edge myself and just ordered this today
    http://ie.mobilefun.com/52190-official-samsung-galaxy-s6-edge-protective-cover-case-blue-black.htm

Don't like the clear cases as they scratch up to easily. Think this one is a good compromise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭magentis

All very well Flaccus.But its not much good when apple forgot to put some ram in the ip6.

magentis wrote: »
    All very well Flaccus.But its not much good when apple forgot to put some ram in the ip6.

Do you have an iPhone 6, know how iOS works or have developed iOS apps ? It's highly optimised. 1 gig does just fine. Very snappy. Ask anyone who has moved from Android to iOS. Android on the other hand generally requires more memory, one big reason is due to garbage collection. Hence one of the reasons why some Android phones even with 3gb ram can lag. The IP6 does not lag. Of course I do realise you can run out of memory if you happen to have a lot of browser pages open and they will reload. But I don't use my phone in that manner.

In any case, I won't say anymore on the IP6. I will likely move back to Android for the S6 Edge. I am anticipating the lag caused by the touchwiz UI has been eliminated. I'm already sold on the look and feel and build quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Davexirl

I'm heading up to Dundrum tonight to have a look at both phones. I am finally making the switch to an Android phone after only ever owning Apple iPhone 4 and 5, the battery life on the iPhone's is the main reason I'm switching.

I now have to decide between Samsung or the HTC M9, the M9 isn't getting great reviews so it's looking like I'll be going with Samsung.

Will the carphone warehouse be selling the phones sim free?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

Davexirl wrote: »
    I'm heading up to Dundrum tonight to have a look at both phones. I am finally making the switch to an Android phone after only ever owning Apple iPhone 4 and 5, the battery life on the iPhone's is the main reason I'm switching.

I now have to decide between Samsung or the HTC M9, the M9 isn't getting great reviews so it's looking like I'll be going with Samsung.

I doubt it though they have been known to sell their first batch of phones unlocked though it's not advertised. I know people got m8s last year which were unlocked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Heisenberg1

Davexirl wrote: »

If battery reason is the reason for moving I would consider your options the S6 with its QHD display and smaller battery than other S models you may find that battery life will be worse with the S6.

Inquitus wrote: »
    April 11th the guy in the Samsung shop in Swords told me today

April 10th to be sure, in a lot of stores for a particular network.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,334 ✭✭✭✭starlit

Ya the release date is roughly the 10th April according to Samsung's release of S6 talk at the Mobile World Congress in Barcelona earlier in March.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,010 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

Once I get this I will have to get the new Gear VR

Just for the laughs

Advertisement