Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung Galaxy S6

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,108 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Phoenix wrote: »
    Comparing it to my current phone nexus 5 is it worth the switch over in comparison to the nexus 6 or Iphone 6?

I also have the nexus 5 and I have used the iPhone 5s for a week. If the iPhone 6 is anything like the iPhone 5s, it would nearly be considered stupidity to choose that phone over the S6 or Nexus 6.The iPhone 5s had the power of a €200 phone with a slightly luxurious touch. It had the focus on all the wrong areas. Who wants a 64bit processor with fukall RAM?

Anyway, Id have a good look at the Nexus 6, Samsung Galaxy S6 and the HTC ONE M9 before choosing. IMO they all could be better, but they are the best phones soon to be on the Irish market.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭dan786

S6 Edge up for pre-order on Ebay Uk. All being shipped from UK and Uk sim free models.

Starting from as low as 499 sterling for the 64GB S6 Edge. Seems like a good price for a sim free one considering they will be around €950 when they launch here.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

Messing around with an Edge this morning. I'm sold. I haven't had a phone contract in years. I'd be willing to sign up to a 24 monther for this. Can't justify the guts of a grand on a net free phone but am willing to spend a couple of hundred up front for a locked one.

The screen. The bloody screen. It's amazing. Not the curves, although they are too. The clarity. The definition. The colours. I haven't seen a screen so nice, other than the Note 4. 2K+ screen is exceptionally impressive.

Demo units rolling out to store next week. Enjoy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

RangeR wrote: »
    Messing around with an Edge this morning.

Where / how? You work for one of the networks?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Cotts72

I'm really looking forward to it now, been out of contract since November with a faulty iPhone waiting to switch! Apparently Uk networks are taking preorders as of tomo so we could hear something soon hopefully

J o e wrote: »
    Where / how? You work for one of the networks?

Distributor.
    Actual live S6 and Edge due here next week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

Any word on Irish contract prices yet?

J o e wrote: »
    Any word on Irish contract prices yet?

No official word yet but I would imagine in the region of €200 to €500 depending on tariff and memory size of phone [32GB, 64GB, 128GB, Flat vs Edge].

They certainly won't be cheap, especially the Edge. You will be looking close to a grand for a 64GB Edge, Net Free, going by the buy in price.

EDIT
    Sort on the money

Voda prices are out already for Edge 64GB
    RED Essentials/RED Essentials Extra €499.99
    RED/RED Extra €379.99
    RED Super/RED Super Extra €249.99

And for the S6 Flat 32GB
    RED Essentials/RED Essentials Extra €299.99
    RED/RED Extra €179.99
    RED Super/RED Super Extra €49.99

• Registered Users Posts: 5,751 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Distributor.
    Actual live S6 and Edge due here next week.

Samsung staff were showing off both models in PC World Jervis today as well.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

No official word yet but I would imagine in the region of €200 to €500 depending on tariff and memory size of phone [32GB, 64GB, 128GB, Flat vs Edge].

They certainly won't be cheap, especially the Edge. You will be looking close to a grand for a 64GB Edge, Net Free, going by the buy in price.

EDIT
    Sort on the money

Voda prices are out already for Edge 64GB
    RED Essentials/RED Essentials Extra €499.99
    RED/RED Extra €379.99
    RED Super/RED Super Extra €249.99

And for the S6 Flat 32GB
    RED Essentials/RED Essentials Extra €299.99
    RED/RED Extra €179.99
    RED Super/RED Super Extra €49.99
    Thanks for the info

I assume they're 24 month contracts?

I wonder if 3 will differ much in that respect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Heisenberg1

Samsung have the 64GB Edge on their UK website for pre order for a whopping £760 converted using XE is €1049 :eek: I think I will pass at that price.

Samsung have the 64GB Edge on their UK website for pre order for a whopping £760 converted using XE is €1049 :eek: I think I will pass at that price.

Yeah, they are going to be expensive. They also don't take SD Cards of any kind. What you get, you're stuck with, as far as storage is concerned. 32GB doesn't really cut it for me.

byte wrote: »
    Thanks for the info

I assume they're 24 month contracts?

I wonder if 3 will differ much in that respect.

Hopefully 3 will differ, Vodafone have always been a rip off network! 3's highest tariff is €55 which I'd have no qualm jumping on for 24 months if it means getting the phone upfront for a 1/4 of what it costs sim free

Yeah, they are going to be expensive. They also don't take SD Cards of any kind. What you get, you're stuck with, as far as storage is concerned. 32GB doesn't really cut it for me.

You can't order a 32GB edge maybe Samsung won't make them it seems to be 64 and 128 for the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,929 ✭✭✭G1032

My wife is looking for a new phone. She currently has the Z1 and is interested in the S6

I had each of the Galaxy S1, S2 and S3 and gave up on Samsung after the S3 because of the awful lag. No amount of flashing custom ROMs could properly fix it either.

So do any of you who own the S5 get the infamous Samsung Lag?? Have they solved that issue??

G1032 wrote: »
    My wife is looking for a new phone. She currently has the Z1 and is interested in the S6

I had each of the Galaxy S1, S2 and S3 and gave up on Samsung after the S3 because of the awful lag. No amount of flashing custom ROMs could properly fix it either.

So do any of you who own the S5 get the infamous Samsung Lag?? Have they solved that issue??

I have never owed a Samsung but some of the reviews I have read say that the lag is no more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

I'm on an S5 and it was fine until the Lollipop update. It's laggy as hell now. Want to smash the phone sometimes.

I have read that factory resetting the phone can help but I shouldn't have to or want to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

I'm on an S5 and it was fine until the Lollipop update. It's laggy as hell now. Want to smash the phone sometimes.

I have read that factory resetting the phone can help but I shouldn't have to or want to do it.

To be fair, the need to do a factory reset after upgrading from 4.4 to 5.0 seems to be common to most devices. It's down to some fairly fundamental changes at a code level in Android, rather than Samsung or any other manufacturer. The reset made a massive difference to my wife's Moto G.

Still a pain in the Swiss, though!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,239 ✭✭✭Elessar

Just an FYI, the Samsung store in the pavillions shopping center swords has a whole table with the S6 and S6 edge on display :D (first and only one currently in ireland I believe)

Just had a good hands on with the edge there and it is one VERY impressive piece of kit. The screen is super crisp, it's lightening fast and a beauty to hold. No prices yet but I am seriously considering moving from iphone for this beast!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,552 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

The s5 is much better. Not 100%, but it's individual apps more than the system itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Elessar wrote: »
    Just an FYI, the Samsung store in the pavillions shopping center swords has a whole table with the S6 and S6 edge on display :D (first and only one currently in ireland I believe)

Just had a good hands on with the edge there and it is one VERY impressive piece of kit. The screen is super crisp, it's lightening fast and a beauty to hold. No prices yet but I am seriously considering moving from iphone for this beast!

Thanks will pop in and have a look.

Hopefully somewhere In Cork will be holding demo sessions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭thierry14

Z1 is still a pretty good phone, I would wait till summer/later in the year when 4k smartphones arrive.

That will be the screen standard for years.

I think the S6/M9/G4 generation are going to have a shorter than normal lifespan at the top.

Feels like we hit a plateau between S4 to S6, Z1 to Z3 generation, but coming out of it now with new memory tech

• Registered Users Posts: 4,955 ✭✭✭Liamalone

thierry14 wrote: »
    Z1 is still a pretty good phone, I would wait till summer/later in the year when 4k smartphones arrive.

Has battery capacity moved on enough to cope with 4k screens though?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

I think the S6/M9/G4 generation are going to have a shorter than normal lifespan at the top.

Feels like we hit a plateau between S4 to S6, Z1 to Z3 generation, but coming out of it now with new memory tech

The majority of smartphones struggle to reach a one day battery life on a 1080p screen. There isn't a chance we will have 4K until the battery technology improves, or we can make other components small enough so that bigger batteries fit.

4K is atleast a few years away from being commonplace but also usable IMO.

As well as being an expensive gimmick..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭thierry14

The majority of smartphones struggle to reach a one day battery life on a 1080p screen. There isn't a chance we will have 4K until the battery technology improves, or we can make other components small enough so that bigger batteries fit.

4K is atleast a few years away from being commonplace but also usable IMO.

As well as being an expensive gimmick..

Can't argue with any of that, but I am sure we will see 4k displays by year end in flagships, even if battery life isn't great.

It's a big selling point.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭hazbot

Cotts72 wrote: »
    Hopefully somewhere In Cork will be holding demo sessions

Samsung store in Mahon Point has a bunch of S6 models set up, was in there yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Can't argue with any of that, but I am sure we will see 4k displays by year end in flagships, even if battery life isn't great.

It's a big selling point.

I agree that we will see them soon enough, but no one wants a phone with a 4 hour battery life. Once the Chinese manufacturers jump on the 4K ship we might see 1 or 2 worth having, but even they won't appeal to most of the market anyways.

It will be very expensive too, a broken 4K LCD could easily cost upwards of €3-400 judging by the current repair climate.

Can you imagine forking out €300 for a shiny new screen for your €1200 Galaxy 4K so you can use it for another 4 hours?

*edit* I could probably go on but I'll let the thread get back on track :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Flaccus

Erica Griffin always does very good hands on reviews and here she is comparing the S6 against the Edge version.
    This is the 1st review I have seen where someone picked up on the colour shifting inherent in amoled displays and exaggerated by the curve.
    A pity as I like the Edge but I would find the colour shifting distracting when browsing. The curve is also distracting when watching media it seems.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1L3VsVZxE28

Advertisement