Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung Galaxy S6

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

doovdela wrote: »
    Ya the release date is roughly the 10th April according to Samsung's release of S6 talk at the Mobile World Congress in Barcelona earlier in March.

For fear of repeating. It's not roughly the 10th. It IS the 10th. We're shipping to stores on the 9th and accepting orders on 10th.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Flaccus

Anyone care to hazard a guess what Three will be charging for the 64gb edge on their 55 euro unlimited tariff ?

I find it interesting in the UK it's 49 up front only!! This is on Three and Vodafone as well
    http://www.three.co.uk/Samsung/Galaxy_Edge

Vodafone on their top tariff are asking 249 euro upfront in Ireland though!! Smaller market and all that. So I'd expect Three to be the same
    http://comingsoon.vodafone.ie/register/samsung-galaxy-s6-edge

Anyone ?

Incidentally I am due an upgrade with Three since the 6th March.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Davexirl

Went up this evening, I rather the look of the Edge but think the normal S6 feels better in the hand. Great looking phone and really light, the screen is fantastic. The lad in the Samsung shop confirmed they won't be selling any Sim Free phones, but will be available on pre pay with the networks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Heisenberg1

Flaccus wrote: »
    Anyone care to hazard a guess what Three will be charging for the 64gb edge on their 55 euro unlimited tariff ?

I find it interesting in the UK it's 49 up front only!! This is on Three and Vodafone as well
    http://www.three.co.uk/Samsung/Galaxy_Edge

Vodafone on their top tariff are asking 249 euro upfront in Ireland though!! Smaller market and all that. So I'd expect Three to be the same
    http://comingsoon.vodafone.ie/register/samsung-galaxy-s6-edge

Anyone ?

Incidentally I am due an upgrade with Three since the 6th March.

I'm going to say in the €350 to €400 bracket I base this on the Edge sim free will set you back around the €1000 mark the iPhone 6 plus 64GB costs €900 sim free and Three are selling that for €379 on a 2 year plan for €55pm.

Wow. That's would be a crazy price with VF doing it for 250 and a new phone every year. Guess I will see what happens.

But I think you are right as the IP6 Plus 64gb is 369 with Three. So the Edge will be similar I think. I can't see it being worth it if the normal S comes in much cheaper.

One thing I did notice by the way having another play with the Edge today is on a light coloured screen there is a significant blue border down the edge of both sides of the screen. I found it very distracting to be honest. It looks like it's just a symptom of colour shifting that happens with amoled screens and its exaggerated by the curve.

See 2:25 on this vid
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1L3VsVZxE28

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭5star02707

Flaccus wrote: »
    Wow. That's would be a crazy price with VF doing it for 250 and a new phone every year. Guess I will see what happens.

But I think you are right as the IP6 Plus 64gb is 369 with Three. So the Edge will be similar I think. I can't see it being worth it if the normal S comes in much cheaper.

One thing I did notice by the way having another play with the Edge today is on a light coloured screen there is a significant blue border down the edge of both sides of the screen. I found it very distracting to be honest. It looks like it's just a symptom of colour shifting that happens with amoled screens and its exaggerated by the curve.

See 2:25 on this vid
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1L3VsVZxE28

Kind of distracting indeed :D will have to pass with S6 or the Edge. Will try and wait for S7 next year ahahha

• Registered Users Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭flangemeistro

Had a play with the S6 and S6 Edge last night in the Samsung store. I'm sorry I don't get it, if that is the premium build that everyone was demanding then they can have it and I'll stick with my Note 3 and wait for the Note 5 in September or the LG G4 in May.
    Both devices kept slipping out of my hands.
    I played a video named Iceland on both devices simultaneously to compare screens and the S6 pops more than the edge, it's as if there's another layer on the edge that the colour is trying to break through, maybe it's extra protection but it takes from the screen, also the curve on the edge causes a reflection from any overhead lights which I also would imagine would happen with the sun, it's a major distraction.
    I'll pass thanks.

I agree that watching multimedia could be distracting on the edge due to reflections from the curve and the colour shift that all amoleds seem to have. Will have to try this phone out some more and make up my mind.

Another concern I have is the chamfered edges. Now Samsung are saying they are using aircraft grade aluminium on the edge, but I am not so sure you won't end up with hairline scratches from just putting a case on it. This happened on my Note 4 from the official samsung protective case and to a lesser extent on the M8 with the dot view. And yeah, aluminium is soft but I don't expect it to mark so easily. This is perhaps the reason why HTC are pushing a scratch resistant coating on the M9 this year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHJ44Ypa_fE

The last deal breaker on the S6 for me will be the loudness of the headphone output as I rely on listening to music at least 4 hours a day and the Note 4 had a terrible 0.45v or so on the jack, less than half of what the M8 offered. The Z3 was even worse. And the S5 was no great shakes either.

http://www.phonearena.com/reviews/Samsung-Galaxy-S6-edge-Review_id3966/page/3
    Only 0.54v on the headphone output which absolutely sucks. Means when commuting regardless of high the db rating or low impedance you earphones are, they just aren't going to be loud enough for me (just like the note4, galaxy 5 and the even worse Xperia Z3). Some of the blame lies with the Eu who limit smartphones that are bundled with earphones to 100db, though that can be cured by rooting and changing the headphone gain. But I really would have thought Samsung would have matched the 1v+ delivered by the M8, M9 and IP6. At least they had the good sense to use a dedicated Wolfon dad this time.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/9111/samsung-galaxy-s6-and-s6-edge-preview/3
    If you read his preview you will see most of the measurements match the iPhone 6 in terms of luminance and colour accuracy. But there does seem to be that colour shifting going on with the edge which I mentioned earlier. Also the gpu performance while very good isn't as good as those early benchmarks showed.

"The only real problems I can see are color shifts with viewing angles, and white point tending to be a bit green depending upon the unit we’re looking at. There are some edge-specific issues, namely uneven luminance and odd color shifting towards green hues on white at the edge of the display."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Cotts72

Had a look at both today, the edge definitely appeals more to the eye! Great looking phones regardless...I'm sold

• Advertisement

Old new this. Bit I just read on some sites that the S6/Edge is coming with cleanmaster baked in :(

http://www.androidcentral.com/some-samsungs-galaxy-s6-software-sends-mixed-message-about-performance

Does this mean if you don't root, the best you can hope for is to disable this crap ?

Update : had a play around with an Edge in the Samsung experience store and this crapware runs under cheetah.mobile.service and can't be disabled only stopped. It starts up again afterwards. Also the icon in the app tray can't be removed it seems. It's called 'Smart Manager'. Had a look at the app and it's a slightly less cluttered version of the one you can download from the play store..it has the memory manager, battery manager etc.. but also included their own brand of anti-virus and inside that you have option to turn Knox. Was off by default. It does actually look like a Samsung app and there are no ads or nasty popups. Not the worst I have seen but would be nice to be able to uninstall it. Hard to tell how much other bloatware on there as there was a gazillion apps, demos and games installed.

Incidentally I played some music also using the note4 earphones and the apple earpods and the volume level at max was very very loud. The note 4 as expected was terrible as was the S5 which I compared for reference. So either GSMArena are incorrect about the headphone jack only outputting 0.45v on the S6 (as the earphones were much louder than the iPhone 6 which outputs over 1v) and/or Samsung have not dropped the max output db level to 100 on the demo models (as required by EU law on retails handsets which ship with earphones). The quality was pretty good though :)

I don't like the feel of the edge in my hand. Too sharp. But am sold on the looks. I checked all 4 edges in the store and the white back glass by far is not a fingerprint magnet unlike the black. So would definitely go for the white.

Unfortunately on the edge, when browsing on a webpage with a light background, you could see blue/green stripe down each side of the screen (limitation of amoled). But I think in normal use (running apps, games) it won't be too bad. This was on all 4 models I looked at.

The only other negative is the Samsung rep said 3 will only be doing 32gb non edge models for launch :(

• Registered Users Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Isn't it amazing how some IPhone users would near die for their phone.

I think the development in the phone market has slowed an awful lot. You can't bring a new phone with a slightly different look and copy some other manufacturers ideas and call it the next big thing and expect it to be the best every phone sale.

I'm slightly disappointed with the S6 as I think Samsung could have put a little more into it.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,452 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Rumours of a S6 Active in the summer aswell which will be waterproof, decisions decisions.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Mundane

I'm not one to be on the edge of my seat waiting for new phones to launch, but I've needed a new phone for a month or two and have been holding out for the Samsung S6... I'm becoming frustrated waiting for pricing information from the various carriers. Is this normal with these "launches" or is this out of the ordinary?

Mundane wrote: »
    I'm not one to be on the edge of my seat waiting for new phones to launch, but I've needed a new phone for a month or two and have been holding out for the Samsung S6... I'm becoming frustrated waiting for pricing information from the various carriers. Is this normal with these "launches" or is this out of the ordinary?

I can share your pain, been waiting since November!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,763 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Sigh. LG G4 sounding tempting now but only because I haven't heard any disadvantages to it yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭flangemeistro

Sigh. LG G4 sounding tempting now but only because I haven't heard any disadvantages to it yet.

Hey there could you send me the link of where you've read about the G4 please. All I saw was the promotional poster on the leather book for the 28th of April announcement.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,763 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Hey there could you send me the link of where you've read about the G4 please. All I saw was the promotional poster on the leather book for the 28th of April announcement.

Only going on rumoured specs myself at moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 383 ✭✭surpy

3 pre orders open
    6 edge 64gb black is 879.99 on prepay

And bill pay
    yFrq796.jpg

surpy wrote: »
    3 pre orders open
    6 edge 64gb black is 879.99 on prepay

And bill pay
    yFrq796.jpg

Any idea what the price plan for the standard s6 is in comparison ? Can't access it on the mobile site

• Advertisement

669.99 on prepay

h1iR906.png

theres no option for that is better than prepay. all i want is unlimited data and an s6 edge
    over 24 mths on prepay (comparing to the forced 24 mths contracts for AYCE data) its (average) 56a mth on prepay with 20eu left over to do what i like with (donate to charity) and on bill pay, cheapest is (average) 60 a month with flexi units that i wont use

hmmmm, decisions, decisions. will probably wait a few months and get it sim free and unbranded for less than the prepay price

surpy wrote: »
    theres no option for that is better than prepay. all i want is unlimited data and an s6 edge
    over 24 mths on prepay (comparing to the forced 24 mths contracts for AYCE data) its (average) 56a mth on prepay with 20eu left over to do what i like with (donate to charity) and on bill pay, cheapest is (average) 60 a month with flexi units that i wont use

hmmmm, decisions, decisions. will probably wait a few months and get it sim free and unbranded for less than the prepay price

I'll be sticking with 3 anyway,can't afford the prepay or sim free options! The free wireless charger is handy

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Mundane

Anybody spot prices for the 64gig S6 (non-edge)?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭grimloch

Mundane wrote: »
    Anybody spot prices for the 64gig S6 (non-edge)?

No but I'm very curious. I'd have guessed +€100 for the 64gb v the 32gb??

I quite want the Edge and I'm not certain why. I just get the feeling that if I got the S6, every time I saw the Edge I'd think "I didn't get the one that I really wanted".

Well done to the Samsung marketing machine for making me want to pay ~150 more for some cool looking curves and very situationally useful functionality that I'd likely never use.

grimloch wrote: »
    No but I'm very curious. I'd have guessed +€100 for the 64gb v the 32gb??

I quite want the Edge and I'm not certain why. I just get the feeling that if I got the S6, every time I saw the Edge I'd think "I didn't get the one that I really wanted".

Well done to the Samsung marketing machine for making me want to pay ~150 more for some cool looking curves and very situationally useful functionality that I'd likely never use.

Haha agreed! I had a look at both devices last Saturday,looked at the edge first and upon moving onto the s6 I felt underwhelmed in comparison even though it us a great phone!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭JacksonHeightsOwn

i just pre ordered the S6.

I had a go of the Edge, and although it seems a stunning piece of kit. i just think in my work (construction) it wouldnt last well.

Really looking forward to getting the new phone. Roll on April 10th :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭UnknownSpecies

Lads, any idea of handset costs with Three on the following:

24mth €40 plan
    24mth €55 plan

I can't see the S6 on their website anymore. Might go with prepay if it's costing too much. Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭grimloch

Cotts72 wrote: »
    Haha agreed! I had a look at both devices last Saturday,looked at the edge first and upon moving onto the s6 I felt underwhelmed in comparison even though it us a great phone!

I've had the s2 and I'm posting from an s4.

The edge is that bit different to the phones ive had in the past and is different to everything else out there that i could justify spending more on. I'd appreciate that every time i took it out of my pocket or put it on a table (until someone else designs something more impressive).

I'd happily pay a premium for that but i don't know if i want to pay *THAT* much of a premium. In summary this is a far tougher decision than I'd anticipated making on a wednesday.

• Advertisement

dorgasm wrote: »
    Lads, any idea of handset costs with Three on the following:

24mth €40 plan
    24mth €55 plan

I can't see the S6 on their website anymore. Might go with prepay if it's costing too much. Cheers!

got an email from them.
    the edge is 369 on 55 euro plan. same prices as iPhone 6 plus.

Advertisement