Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung Galaxy S6

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭Keith186

I got a small update, 18mb, with the June security patch date.
    I've noticed it was changed back to slow charging in the settings but even after changing it back to fast charge it always does slow charge when I plug in the cable first but if I unplug and plug it back in it will fast charge.

This happen to anyone else?
    I used to have this bug a few updates ago too but it was fixed at some stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Testament1

Keith186 wrote: »
    I got a small update, 18mb, with the June security patch date.
    I've noticed it was changed back to slow charging in the settings but even after changing it back to fast charge it always does slow charge when I plug in the cable first but if I unplug and plug it back in it will fast charge.

This happen to anyone else?
    I used to have this bug a few updates ago too but it was fixed at some stage.

Yea slow charging here too, have to keep plugging in and out till it eventually goes for fast charge. But slow charge for my phone at least is glacial. Been caught out a couple of times where it's been plugged in for hours and barely charged any bit at all.

Bizarrely in my car I have a lead I bought in Aldi and a cigarette lighter plug I bought in a local Mace and the phone always charges quickly on that! Think I might want to consider replacing the Samsung one I have at home. Any recommendations for a decent fast charger?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭CailinGaillimh

@Testament1 I got one from my network provider as a replacement when I went in complaining for a 3rd time about that issue. It's just a generic one. Fast charging is solved, phone still over heating!

Wondering if anyone has had this problem - was waiting for an appointment yesterday and next thing I knew my phone screen had corrupted. The colours were similar to that on teletext, the home screen had split into three (two small ones at the top of my screen where date and time normally are, showing my home screen on both & the bottom showing the bottom of my actual homescreen). Tried to power off using the small screens available to me but no avail! It was like that for about 10 minutes and then it self corrected! It was a hairy 10 minutes of panic!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,953 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Wondering if anyone has had this problem - was waiting for an appointment yesterday and next thing I knew my phone screen had corrupted. The colours were similar to that on teletext, the home screen had split into three (two small ones at the top of my screen where date and time normally are, showing my home screen on both & the bottom showing the bottom of my actual homescreen). Tried to power off using the small screens available to me but no avail! It was like that for about 10 minutes and then it self corrected! It was a hairy 10 minutes of panic!

I had this last week! Or something very similar. Vibrant colours, and you could just about see the icons in all the corrupted mess, but nothing would work, even the home button.

I wound up taking the SIM out, and when I rebooted it was back to normal.

Was a panicky few minutes alright :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭UnknownEntity

HeidiHeidi wrote:
    I had this last week! Or something very similar. Vibrant colours, and you could just about see the icons in all the corrupted mess, but nothing would work, even the home button.

This also happened to me a while ago but it kinda just fixed itself and I haven't had the problem since.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,041 ✭✭✭BKtje

I haven't gone through the whole thread so apologies if it's covered but am having a weird issue lately. Whenever I switch to from portrait to landscape view (with all apps) it pauses a half second after turning 45degrees before continuing. This a known bug? Haven't been able to find it through Google.

Also anyone know when the marshmallow update will arrive for carrier free phones?

Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,981 ✭✭✭G1032

Does the S6 suffer from lag like the old Samsungs did? I owned the S1, S2 and S3 and had to install custom roms on all because of lag.
    Haven't used a Samsung in 2 years but considering getting this

Just reading back through this thread
    Is that Android System battery drain still an issue? Do Samsung never learn?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭TBi

G1032 wrote: »
    Does the S6 suffer from lag like the old Samsungs did? I owned the S1, S2 and S3 and had to install custom roms on all because of lag.
    Haven't used a Samsung in 2 years but considering getting this

Yes it does. It's very fast but the lag does start to creep in over time. Drove me back to the iPhone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,559 ✭✭✭dubrov

TBi wrote:
    Yes it does. It's very fast but the lag does start to creep in over time. Drove me back to the iPhone.

Never had any sort of lag myself. The big problem is the battery but otherwise the phone runs perfectly

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

I agree with dubrov no problems with lag it was just the stupid battery drain but it's perfect since I installed a s7 based rom I'll easily get a day out of it

jayo26 wrote: »
    I agree with dubrov no problems with lag it was just the stupid battery drain but it's perfect since I installed a s7 based rom I'll easily get a day out of it

As said in earlier post, the last Samsung I had was the S3. I rooted all Samsungs up to and including that. I remember reading about it being more problematic to root the S4. Something about Knox? Can I root the S6 and still keep it under warranty in the event I'd need to send it for repair?

dubrov wrote: »
    Never had any sort of lag myself. The big problem is the battery but otherwise the phone runs perfectly

How bad is the battery? I don't play games on my Z4 but would have 4G turned on 24/7. Moderate daily use I guess. Depending on the day I could have Spotify or podcasts playing for over 2 hours a day. All I need is to get a day out of the battery. Any problems getting the charge to last a day?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I've hassle with the usb port in mine, it seems to think that there's a VT headset being connected or something, I sent it back to be repaired with no joy, I got a process killer app though and killed all the bloatware, going to bed last night I still had 47% battery and now I've 55%. I was on it fairly heavily today at lunch, I'd say about 3 hours 3G usage (stupid Tesco Mobile) and about 2 hours of phone calls.

G1032 wrote: »
    As said in earlier post, the last Samsung I had was the S3. I rooted all Samsungs up to and including that. I remember reading about it being more problematic to root the S4. Something about Knox? Can I root the S6 and still keep it under warranty in the event I'd need to send it for repair?

No sorry mate you loose your warranty its always been same on any Samsung I root from s2 onwards. I've never had a problem rooting them tho always been straight forward but seems to be less Roms available for the s6 then any other Samsung I've had.

No sorry mate you loose your warranty its always been same on any Samsung I root from s2 onwards. I've never had a problem rooting them tho always been straight forward but seems to be less Roms available for the s6 then any other Samsung I've had.

Cheers. I use to use Triangle Away by Chainfire on the S2 and S3 to reset the flash counter but it seems that ship has sailed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,559 ✭✭✭dubrov

Not true. You are still covered by your warranty and even more importantly by EU consumer law.

If you root your phone and that is the cause of some damage (e.g. it runs some component beyond safe levels) then yes your warranty is voided.

Most manufacturers will automatically reject repair when they see rooted firmware. A quick note explaining that it could not have been the cause of the damage and a threat of small claims court usually resolves the issue quickly.

Just a quick question for those with root. I rooted yesterday with Chainfires CF Auto Root. Reading through the TWRP thread it seems that I would need a custom kernel to install it due to DM Verity on Marshmallow.

Now I haven't rooted a Samsung since the S2, (switched to HTC for a while), but I thought that CF Auto Root was a custom kernel? Or am I incorrect? Just wondering really if I'm free to go ahead with installing TWRP without ending up in a bootloop due to this DM Verity craic.

dubrov wrote: »
    Not true. You are still covered by your warranty and even more importantly by EU consumer law.

If you root your phone and that is the cause of some damage (e.g. it runs some component beyond safe levels) then yes your warranty is voided.

Most manufacturers will automatically reject repair when they see rooted firmware. A quick note explaining that it could not have been the cause of the damage and a threat of small claims court usually resolves the issue quickly.

Ok i wasn't aware of the legal side of it I just always assumed it was a known rule if you root your warranty is void and it's something I've accepted over the years but haven't needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Zipppy

battery life muck on my 4 month old S6....options?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,523 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Folks ,what ye reckon is a decent price for a unlocked S6 ?Bought it September 2015 and its in perfect condition.
    Thinking about selling mine and wanna look for a fairly quick sale.

Zipppy wrote: »
    battery life muck on my 4 month old S6....options?

Android System has been a big battery hog for me lately.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭TBi

Testament1 wrote: »
    Android System has been a big battery hog for me lately.

Clear app cache in settings. It fixed a battery drain for me. Still moved back to iPhone though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Zipppy

TBi wrote:
    Clear app cache in settings. It fixed a battery drain for me. Still moved back to iPhone though.

will try n see what happens...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭Duff

Lads, would it be possible for a repair company to swap screens on an S6 edge? My current edge has a broken screen and I have an old one that got water damaged but with the screen still working.

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭Redriddick

Are people still having problems with the WiFi???

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭mimimcmc

Redriddick wrote: »
    Are people still having problems with the WiFi???

Yup! Wifi and mobile data!
    Had another update about a week or so ago and still no improvement :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭Keith186

No problem with wi-fi here.

Still on July security update which I got about 4th or 5th of the month but can't get the August one yet. Supposed to reverse the Open With changes so you can pick just once or Always again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Updates were refusing to pick up the wifi here on my phone for 10 days or so saying no wifi available even though I was using wifi for internet access while in the house. Then today it accepted it:confused:

The eldest has the same problem now but not on a Galaxy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭Redriddick

I think that the WiFi problem is related to the quality of the connection.In work we have fibre which roughly 70mb download but at home my broadband is ****e and this is where I have problems.
    The phone connects to the WiFi fine but refuses to load Web pages or anything else,it just times out!!!

Advertisement