Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung Galaxy S6

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,013 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

legrand wrote: »
    ok need to fess up here. Above may be true but it turns out that the screen rotation is off by default (or so it seems). I simply flicked it on and its okay now. Duh! Would have thought it was on by default. Of course I might have turned it off in error earlier.

It's often the simplest explanation!

Haven't had a single issue since I got the phone, great device

• Registered Users Posts: 16,986 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Totally agree. Upgraded from an s4. This is the best phone I ever had

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Mundane

Has anybody bought one of these from Pixmania? I noticed that the price is about the same as buying pre-pay.

If anybody has, would I be correct in assuming that the phones would be unlocked and not full of network (ie Three, Vodafone) bloatware and ugly logos.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

Mundane wrote: »
    Has anybody bought one of these from Pixmania? I noticed that the price is about the same as buying pre-pay.

If anybody has, would I be correct in assuming that the phones would be unlocked and not full of network (ie Three, Vodafone) bloatware and ugly logos.

Yeah the phone would be unlocked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

Same here i have it a week now and its really a great phone couldn't be happier with it,the only issue i have is with the battery but the fast charge makes up for it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭Johnny Bitte

Yup, sounds like your average Vodafone rep.

Well the phone and sim came at least.

Called Vodafone and they have no record of me calling or a request to port my number over.

Andrea assured me she would call me right back after speaking with her colleagues.

That was Friday ha ha ha.

Phone is amazing though. Fast light and so cool. The edge is completely worth the extra.

Only small bug I noticed so far was scolding in chrome was choppy.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Luke92

Cheapest I can get it bill pay is 180 with Vodafone.

Been a meteor customer all my life and bill the last 5 years and they want 380 for a 32gb flat model! Absolute rubbish prices.

Might switch to Vodafone or go PAYG.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭WayneEnterprise

so guys due my upgrade in a month.should i get this phone or not

Just upgraded from an iPhone 5s to the S6. It's unreal, best phone I have ever had. Wouldn't hesitate to get it if I were you.

Screen is amazing, it's super-fast and I actually like the improvements Samsung have made to stock Android with TouchWiz. Camera is also miles better than what I had.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Flaccus

Do vodafone tend to charge a huge deposit on the edge if its a new number. Might be moving on from my m9 and fancy a clean start. Whats the gold version like ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,737 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Flaccus wrote: »
    Do vodafone tend to charge a huge deposit on the edge if its a new number. Might be moving on from my m9 and fancy a clean start. Whats the gold version like ?

Gold is good, but not nearly as good as the blue one. The white one is definitely the most powerful though...

• Advertisement

Vodafone want a 600e deposit plus 369 down and 55e a month for 24 months. Wow. Never been asked for that kind of cash before.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

Vodafone want a 600e deposit plus 369 down and 55e a month for 24 months. Wow. Never been asked for that kind of cash before.

Mother of Christ :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭moggser

And your first born while at it.... had to be a mistake sure how do you get that money back??? Apart from them using it off your phone bill and who wants to pay their bill up front for 2 years

Could pretty much buy it sim free at those prices :eek:

You get it back after 6 months I assume or is that only Meteor. Probably revenge for me and 2 family members cancelling with them early last year and not returning their customer service calls when they were trying to poach us back from meteor. LOL.

I do like the S6 more than my M9. The only minus was I thought the icons/colours were a bit cartoony. Not sure if that's touchwiz or just the amoled. However I suppose I will have to soldier on with the M9 which while a good phone is just not as snazzy as the edge and still gives me the odd unpredictable crap camera shot.

The only other phone I had considered was the nexus 6. A larger screen right now would be better for me, but the chance of screen retention/lag was a risk I was not willing to take. Then again I here this can happen on any amoled screen.

Would you not try a different network?

Indeed I will.

Do tesco mobile ask for a deposit if not a customer? No 4g I assume

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Mundane

Indeed I will.

Do tesco mobile ask for a deposit if not a customer? No 4g I assume

Tesco Mobile seem the best value of the lot, never used them so can't comment on coverage though.

I read through their tariffs and t&c's. Its basically 400euro for the edge Inc 50e up front first month and unlimited everything. They take it from your card and could ask for a deposit on top and if u cancel its up to 30 days to get money back. Do they have stores that actually sell the edge I wonder ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

I traded in my SG5 from the guy I bought it from for the SG6, got 270e for it so had to part with 400e.
    One thing about SG is that they don't hold resale value like Apples.
    Oh I also got a free ss and cover too (Chinese guy at the Ilac Moore st doors entrance)

• Advertisement

Ok after messing with it all night I can safely say that it is far smother and faster than the 5 or any other phone I've used. The camera is superb and unlike the sg5 the flash doesn't blind you, I love the voice command for the camera and the fingerprint lock is great too.... A very happy bunny so far, I even ordered the wireless charger from amazon that someone recommended earlier in the thread.
    Games like Subway surfer also load faster too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭UnknownSpecies

Ok after messing with it all night I can safely say that it is far smother and faster than the 5 or any other phone I've used. The camera is superb and unlike the sg5 the flash doesn't blind you, I love the voice command for the camera and the fingerprint lock is great too.... A very happy bunny so far, I even ordered the wireless charger from amazon that someone recommended earlier in the thread.
    Games like Subway surfer also load faster too.

I bought that wireless charger after the recommendation here too. It's been great so far.

Is Flipboard a pain in the ass. I have read it's laggy. Can it be uninstalled ?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,986 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Flaccus wrote:
    Is Flipboard a pain in the ass. I have read it's laggy. Can it be uninstalled ?

You can hide it but not remove it. Long press a blank spot on the home screen. Swipe sideways till you have flipboard. There is a tick box. Untick it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    You can hide it but not remove it. Long press a blank spot on the home screen. Swipe sideways till you have flipboard. There is a tick box. Untick it.

Thanks!

That was really bugging me

I use the Swipe keyboard and as good as it is it is even faster and smoother on the S6 compared to the S5, I can post emails and comments so frickin' fast now.
    Have to add again the Camera really is amazing on this compared to the 5 (and Z3 for that matter)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭thirtythirty

Does anyone have an issue with the radio apps intermittently cutting out, like they haven't buffered or something? Happens on both wifi and 4g.

Specifically the Today FM app does it all the time, and then "irish radio" doesn't seem to work much better so I'm thinking it might be the phone and how it handles streams??

Does anyone have an issue with the radio apps intermittently cutting out, like they haven't buffered or something? Happens on both wifi and 4g.

Specifically the Today FM app does it all the time, and then "irish radio" doesn't seem to work much better so I'm thinking it might be the phone and how it handles streams??

Haven't had any problems using tunein radio. Download it and see if it resolves the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭UnknownSpecies

Is this this Irish Radio one you mean? On 4G I've had no problem with them. UPC in my house on the other hand....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭thirtythirty

dorgasm wrote: »
    Is this this Irish Radio one you mean? On 4G I've had no problem with them. UPC in my house on the other hand....

Yep that's the one. Starting to wonder if its the way the S6 handles streaming data... I'll try tunein and see how that goes.

Advertisement