Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Top Gear Special on

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,395 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Andy Wilman on top gear website last October

Knowing this could be a problem, our office spoke to the local authorities in Ushuaia, the town where the war issue was most sensitive, and where we would end our trip in ten days’ time with a massive game of car football. We agreed with those authorities that the plates would be removed before we entered the town, and it was at this point – not before we left London – that we decided to get the BE11 END plates made for Jeremy’s car for the football match in the town.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭mattser

It was a great programme to show the natural beauty of the region but, as TG programmes go, it was stupid, ridiculous and pathetic. Why, for example, would anyone try to drive such cars off-road? Why cross a bridge with a dead end at the end of it?
    Clarkson is a gob-sh1te of the highest order. Hammond is pathetic, unfunny and brings nothing to the show. May is a punch bag for Clarkson.

If they were serious about such a road trip through that region they'd have done it in Range Rovers or something like.

The format is tired. The programme delights in offending.

I agree entirely. The only plus was Chile...I'd say their tourist numbers will be impressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭JC01

I was away for the weekend and forgot to record this. Anybody know where I can watch the two episodes/repeats? BBC Iplayer only works in the UK :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Hahahaha,

Do you even know what a sump guard actually looks like......

Cars were in no way stock and had under / sump guards fitted. Its been widely reported and noted on the various forums. Just look at the support crew if you want some proof of the seriousness of the preparation.

For anyone that thinks what happens on TG is on the fly, unscripted then I'd highly doubt your intelligence and ability to question what you are being shown. Nothing on TV is without a script. You should see the planning / scripting behind the likes of Monkey Garage, Fat N' Furious etc. I actually had the pleasure of being in the vicinity of some of the Top Gear roads for the past challenges and sections, and for the most part the 'funny-we're-stuck-only-way' bits are actually a good deal off the beaten, normally perfectly paved, road.

The only thing interesting about this show was some of the facts they cropped up about the localities and the scenery.

Part 2 is on the 5th January (next Monday) at 7 on BBC2

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

JC01 wrote: »
    I was away for the weekend and forgot to record this. Anybody know where I can watch the two episodes/repeats? BBC Iplayer only works in the UK :(

Check out UK proxy servers and some very helpful people have recorded the program and very kindly made it available online, you just need to know where to look...
    I utterly disagree with the iPlayer not working in this country, we get the service, what is the bloody problem? I'm sure they get a bit of money shoveled their way and we can watch and record the programs, why not make it work? But the BBC and other stations in the UK seem to be drowning in red tape, I have seen a football match on ITV, but the +1 channel said "due to legal restrictions, blah, blah, blah...", and BBC HD seems to show a screen most of the time "we cannot show you the current program due to legal bullsh*t..."
    That's what happens if your business is run by solicitors and accountants, their motto is "do you want me to check it, or should I just say No now?"
    Can you imagine a world without lawyers?

3763629208_c741d0f9bb.jpg

BBC iPlayer has always worked for me in Ireland, never had an issue. In fact I was watching it last night with my proxy set to Mexico and it still worked. Some DNS servers in Ireland are facilitated by German / European server farms, could be causing the issue for some perhaps.

ironclaw wrote: »
    BBC iPlayer has always worked for me in Ireland, never had an issue. In fact I was watching it last night with my proxy set to Mexico and it still worked. Some DNS servers in Ireland are facilitated by German / European server farms, could be causing the issue for some perhaps.

If it works, there's something wrong. They check your IP to see where you're coming from and if it's not mainland UK, it won't work, hence using a proxy based there to watch iPlayer. In your case, say nothing and enjoy...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Always wanted to visit down there.
    This programme has increased that

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    Always wanted to visit down there.
    This programme has increased that

Pan-American Highway has been on the cards myself for a long time. I've completed most of the northern route (US side) but between Mexico and Chile (i.e. Colombia, Ecuador, Peru and Bolivia) its pretty much a no-go unless you are in a reasonably big convoy by the sounds of it, the main issues being security and corruption. Would love to rock down the route in a Bowler in Dakar kit.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

ironclaw wrote: »
    Pan-American Highway has been on the cards myself for a long time. I've completed most of the northern route (US side) but between Mexico and Chile (i.e. Colombia, Ecuador, Peru and Bolivia) its pretty much a no-go unless you are in a reasonably big convoy by the sounds of it, the main issues being security and corruption. Would love to rock down the route in a Bowler in Dakar kit.

I know a couple of guys who done it a few years ago. As long as you have all of your papers in order and are prepared to buy the odd cop off now and then you will be safe enough.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭Jesus.

Crumbs868 wrote: »
    From the outset their goal was to belittle Argentina in a similar way small minded arrogant clarkson treats other countries (Google what he has said about ireland).

I have done and can't find anything!

To be fair though how long have the falklands been part of Britian?

How about Never?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

GavRedKing wrote: »
    The license plate was taken off the front of the porsche for a lot of scenes so i imagine they seen the reaction online while over there which makes me wonder why they didnt just take them off the back too but thats logic and they were trying to and have, created, some controversey.

It had fallen off from the front after a crash in the first episode. You see it dangling from the bumper then sliding under the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,282 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

It was a great programme to show the natural beauty of the region but, as TG programmes go, it was stupid, ridiculous and pathetic. Why, for example, would anyone try to drive such cars off-road? Why cross a bridge with a dead end at the end of it?
    Clarkson is a gob-sh1te of the highest order. Hammond is pathetic, unfunny and brings nothing to the show. May is a punch bag for Clarkson.

If they were serious about such a road trip through that region they'd have done it in Range Rovers or something like.

The format is tired. The programme delights in offending.

The show is kind of hitting a slump, they have gone out of the way to find new and shocking things.

I remember the races they used to do across Europe and they were fun. Now they just get thrown into bangers and sent to a remote part of the world.

There was one part where Hammond brought a cow back on his car and i was like "They've done all this before". I only watched it so i could see the end.

I think its time for some new blood, or go back to actually testing cars...

Have to say I enjoy top gear specials for what they are. A total p*ss take. Scripted? Of course it is. A team full of highly trained mechanics? Of course. Harmless fun? Of course. If people don't want to watch it they dont have to. The scenes at the end were shocking it has to be said and that wasn't scripted.

To be fair to the Argentinians it seemed to be just young louts out throwing rocks with nothing better to be doing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

So about 1765?

The Falklands have never been part of Britain mate. Claimed and owned by her, yes. But part of? No :)

• Advertisement

Jesus. wrote: »
    The Falklands have never been part of Britain mate. Claimed and owned by her, yes. But part of? No :)

Part of, owned by, same thing.

'fraid not. Britain is an island. The Falklands are different islands on the other side of the World.

But we're getting into semantics here

The Falklands is:
    A British overseas territory, the Falklands have internal self-governance, with the United Kingdom taking responsibility for their defence and foreign affairs. The islands' capital is Stanley on East Falkland.

Defined as:
    The fourteen British Overseas Territories (BOT) are territories under the jurisdiction and sovereignty of the United Kingdom; they do not, however, form part of it. Instead, they are those parts of the former British Empire that have not chosen independence or have voted to remain British territories. While each has its own internal leadership, most being self-governing, they share the British monarch (Queen Elizabeth II) as head of state.

Can we talk about Top Gear now?

Yeh yeh, you guys knew what I meant to be fair. Obviously it's not physically part of it but economically and politically it is.

Anyways I always enjoy the top gear specials. There have been better than this one but it was still good.

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭guttenberg

Not a bad episode for what it is. If you rewatch it and pause the aerial shots of the ferry, you can see there's at least 12 support vehicles, including one pick up to simply pull two portaloos.:pac: Anyone any idea what kind of budget these Christmas specials usually have?

Yeah, like Ireland, it was British for 700 years, surely that would constitute a legitimate claim?

Yeah, like Ireland, it was British for 700 years, surely that would constitute a legitimate claim?

Correct and right.

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Cartel Mike

Didn't watch it

If I do watch top gear these days the same question stays in my head for the entire duration

Which actor is the least hammy of the three and by default the least embarrassing ?

The hammy-ness has been ramped up to such a level in recent years that Made in Chelsea is gritty in comparison.

The overall ratings must be sliding back down to reflect this . Nobody I know in the flesh watches it anymore but there must still be a loyal following

• Registered Users Posts: 65,001 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Looking forward to the 2015 Top Gear Christmas special - Gibraltar!

• Advertisement

Didn't watch it

If I do watch top gear these days the same question stays in my head for the entire duration

Which actor is the least hammy of the three and by default the least embarrassing ?

The hammy-ness has been ramped up to such a level in recent years that Made in Chelsea is gritty in comparison.

The overall ratings must be sliding back down to reflect this . Nobody I know in the flesh watches it anymore but there must still be a loyal following

Even though I know it's totally scripted I still love it. Great show, great specials and 3 of the best presenters on light tv entertainment there is.

Keep up the good work top gear.

Advertisement