Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Top Gear Special on

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,866 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Dunno why they didn't just leave the cars at the hotel.

There was a compulsion to drag it on. Silly really.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

I wonder how they did those aerial shots, like over the boat. Stabilized camera on a quadcopter?

Drones. They were one of the first shows to really use them and you can see why. Cost effective alone makes them worthwhile. Helicopters are massive money per hour.
    3 presenters seem to abandon the crew for the dangerous part

Having worked in TV, there are some odds and ends attached to contracts mainly from the underwriters that insure the production. The 'stars' may not always be to blame for decisions. They are made at a higher level. I'd imagine in this instance they were flown out along with the film, the most valuable parts from the production.

Anyone else notice the Dakar truck in the support crew with number decals?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭iano.p

Anyone else notice the Dakar truck in the support crew with number decals?[/quote]

Yeah I thought I seen that but cant find any pictures of it. The cars took on a good but of damage

• Registered Users Posts: 73,429 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

ironclaw wrote: »
    Helicopters are massive money per hour.

They are handy though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

can see the big support crew that they travel with now

Exactly that, now we know how the guys can miraculously "fix" their own cars by the roadside with a hammer, vice grips and blue baling twine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭cml387

Poor episode all in all. I still cannot believe the registration number was a "coincidence".
    Also they hyped up the programme to a point where we were expecting a classic, instead we got some nice scenery, some bits they'd done better in previous adventures , and some wobbly footage of stones being thrown. Their escapades in the deep south of the USA seemed to be genuinely more scary. That's not to say it wasn't frightening for the crew, but I was not impressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

Top gear/the bbc should have issued an apology at the end of that
    For what?

Hey, I find that licence plate offensive, we should stone and hurt them :confused:
    It wasn't exactly a civil reaction from the Argentinians.

Does anyone remember the Love Ulster parade?

It wasn't exactly a civil reaction from the Argentinians.

The BBC were playing grab the cactus imo.......

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭EB_2013

I wonder will this affect the other stunts they pull when they do these road trip episodes in foreign countries in future series.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

I thought the "born in the usa" stunt was to far , hopefully after this there will be no more bull sh1t by them , I enjoyed episode tho.

I can't see how they wouldn't have noticed number plate and knew it would wind them up.

They were pretty lucky to have escaped unhurt .

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭Shane Fitz

Exactly that, now we know how the guys can miraculously "fix" their own cars by the roadside with a hammer, vice grips and blue baling twine.

Dr fuzz,
    You're awefully fond of that blue bailing twine.!😠I think I've seen you mention it in 3 different threads this week.

I thought the "born in the usa" stunt was to far , hopefully after this there will be no more bull sh1t by them , I enjoyed episode tho.

I thought that was particularly insensitive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭iano.p

Shane Fitz wrote: »
    Dr fuzz,
    You're awefully fond of that blue bailing twine.!😠I think I've seen you mention it in 3 different threads this week.

If it can't be fixed with bailing twine and wd 40 it's not worth fixing. My grand dad favourite saying.

For what?

For deliberately offending a nation for the sake of entertainment

• Registered Users Posts: 1,358 ✭✭✭Aineoil

For deliberately offending a nation for the sake of entertainment

And he gets paid for it:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

The license plate was taken off the front of the porsche for a lot of scenes so i imagine they seen the reaction online while over there which makes me wonder why they didnt just take them off the back too but thats logic and they were trying to and have, created, some controversey.

You can see in the first episode when the number plate fell off on a bumpy track.

Also, the car had a private plate on it for a while when the last owner had it. This plate seemed to have been underneath the rear one all along with the offensive one velcro'd on...

ZoDAuzVR.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Argentina claims....my arse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

A mate of mine is over there for the year. She's from NI and at the moment she travels with a Irish passport and claims she's from here. A random fellow said "ohhh you're from Ireland, we can be friends, we both hate england yes?"

They recently passed a law that any form of public transport must display a pro "las malvinas" slogan on the side of it. They're mad. Whenever the economy is in trouble over there, the handy way of distracting the public is to stir up anti british sentiment. It's mostly young people she's saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,853 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Enjoyed it all until the last 15 mins or so, what the hell were they expectinting it was always going to go Pete Tong in Argentina, was like Willie Frazer wanting to do an orange tractor display on O'Connell Street Dublin.

Shane Fitz wrote: »
    Dr fuzz,

It is great stuff! :D
    In Grand Torino Clint Eastwood says that all you need is WD40, vice grips and duct tape. Really it should be a large screwdriver, a big, rusty hammer and blue baling twine. That's a proper farmer's toolbox.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 438 ✭✭Crumbs868

GavRedKing wrote: »
    The license plate was taken off the front of the porsche for a lot of scenes so i imagine they seen the reaction online while over there which makes me wonder why they didnt just take them off the back too but thats logic and they were trying to and have, created, some controversey.

The licence plate fell off the car in one of the scenes where they were off road and broke up under the car. May dodo mentioned about no trouble up to that point.

From the outset their goal was to belittle Argentina in a similar way small minded arrogant clarkson treats other countries (Google what he has said about ireland). The video ended up being Argentina is okay but chile is amazing etc. He took swings at the beautiful town of bariloche and their past neglecting to mention that argentina itself has a huge Jew population. Digging that Argentina was in dispute with chile over land effectively saying it was a one sided dispute. There is a rare border in South smerica which is not disputed due to the way the Spanish conquered and retreated.

The area in question is close to the Falkland Islands and the war was only 30yrs ago and lots of local people lost their lives what was he expecting?

I would expect the same reaction from a section of the poles if some Russians were pulling a similar stunt / Indians in Pakistan / falls road etc etc. Respect the country you are visiting!

Simple as, he has been poking a nest for a very long time and finally got a reaction

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭Breffnigolfer

It was a great programme to show the natural beauty of the region but, as TG programmes go, it was stupid, ridiculous and pathetic. Why, for example, would anyone try to drive such cars off-road? Why cross a bridge with a dead end at the end of it?
    Clarkson is a gob-sh1te of the highest order. Hammond is pathetic, unfunny and brings nothing to the show. May is a punch bag for Clarkson.

If they were serious about such a road trip through that region they'd have done it in Range Rovers or something like.

The format is tired. The programme delights in offending.

What I don't like about the Top Gear specials is that they always seem to find a river or a field or a bit of forest through which they then have to drive.
    They must almost drive along, find a rough patch and say "let's set up a few cameras and drive our cars around in the mud a bit". I think it ads very little and is a desperate attempt to make a very long and boring roadtrip look interesting. I presume they have to do what they can to make the program interesting, otherwise we would just be looking at three middle-aged men driving old cars through some nice scenery.
    I do like the specials, with Bolivia and Vietnam my favorites, but maybe they should give it a rest now. As a viewer, I will watch TG as long as it's on, I can picture Clarkson at 90 still going and being obnoxious. Wouldn't mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

kneemos wrote: »
    Seem to be completely devoid of any new ideas.Driving cars around a field and up dirt tracks isn't really compelling television.
    All had sump guards fitted as well I notice.

Hahahaha,

Do you even know what a sump guard actually looks like......

To be fair though how long have the falklands been part of Britian? All of the falklanders want to be part of Britain also. Argentina have very little claim to them and barked up the wrong tree 30 years ago. At the same time though, the BBC should have known better.

I see mto remember the BBC being barred out of Iran also in another show that top gear done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,420 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Hahahaha,

Do you even know what a sump guard actually looks like......

I do,exactly what they had fitted to their cars . presumably they didn't come as standard?

Advertisement