Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tipperary GAA (Club and intercounty) Discussion thread 2015

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭Blondie919

12th July I think

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Rasputin11 wrote: »
    He picked hurling ahead of football this year before going back in with the footballers recently. He has another year left in the Cistercian College so that'll mean another Leinster Schools campaign and little hurling time. I'm not sure has he got the size to make the grade in professional rugby. I read an interview with Brian O Driscoll a few weeks back and he said Gordon Darcy and him would have been deemed too small to make it if they were entering an academy nowadays. It would be great to see him commit to the hurling because he has massive potential.
    If good enough he would be picked for academy. If he has another year in school he is also likely to be playing provincial rugby in September and looking to make Irish squad for next April..
    Would vary on his ability in relation to size. O Driscoll/Darcy would have made it regardless of size in any era due to ability.
    Lads what date is the final?
    July 12th

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

Yeah, POTENTIALLY - you left out a key word there. The performance of that half back line gave them the platform to win last year's All-Ireland in the replay - it was the key line. They cleaned us out.... If they keep that standard of performance up for eight years I would say yeah, they would be. - Buckley, Joyce, Padraig Walsh - it's such a strong line. They compliment each other very well. You don't think so?

Well the fact that KK had a half back line only a few years ago that was the greatest half back line to ever play the game, claiming that the current one has the potential to be better is completley OTT. Padraig Walsh isnt a patch on his older brother, has struggled to nail down his place and was actually pretty soundly beaten last Sunday by his direct opponent, Joyce lacks positional sense and is not a natural centre back. 2 out of the 3 were not on the starting 15 two championship matches ago but you reckon they have the potential to be better than JJ, Hogan and Tommy???

• Registered Users Posts: 4,070 ✭✭✭Xenophile

Following the announcement of Jimmy Doyle's passing the Munster MHC semi-final between Tipperary and Clare, scheduled for Wednesday evening in Semple Stadium, is postponed for 24 hours.

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭Rasputin11

Bonner was very harshly penalised for charging on Sunday yet the Limerick keeper ploughed straight through Callanan and there was no free awarded. Callanan lost 3 teeth in the same incident.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭GerB40

Bonner was very harshly penalised for charging on Sunday yet the Limerick keeper ploughed straight through Callanan and there was no free awarded. Callanan lost 3 teeth in the same incident.

Two words. Brian Gavin.... He's consistently inconsistent.

GerB40 wrote: »

Consistently overweight too.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,787 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Those two decisions were wrong but apart from that I didn't think he was too bad. Allows alot which makes for a good game.

Anyone see what paddy Stapleton got carded for?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Charlie69

GerB40 wrote: »
    Not to open an old sore but it was like Brian Hogan's alleged charge into P.Maher last Sept. Another Ref could have given the free the other way and some ref's would have waved play on, as you say .. no consistency .

ScummyMan wrote: »
    I had assumed Waterford would insist on a neutral venue, ie the Gaelic Grounds.

Waterford are happy so long as they get a bigger slice of the gate. To be honest I'd say the fans would prefer thurles too and the team are well used to it. Allocation will probably be the same too and Waterford will travel in numbers

• Advertisement

Xenophile wrote: »
    I hope they are more committed to the Senior Footballers as long as we are the competition! I think it was a mistake by Bill Maher, Kilsheelan not to commit to the footballers this year!

Bill is a workman like hurler and a top top class footballer. If I were him personally I wouldn't let that talent go to waste and opt for the footballers. Genuinely think Seamus Kennedy has more to offer to the hurlers though

Consistently overweight too.

And consistently shambolic. Sunday was his most outrageous performance to date

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭evolving tipperary

I don't think it is completely OTT... - I don't Brian Hogan was beyond criticism.

Yeah, Padraig Walsh got slaughtered...all those scores...his marker got...all that damage... http://31.media.tumblr.com/5d24fdfda513e7a3b6c5047511a5c818/tumblr_mz1mlbaNDw1qcm0m3o1_500.gif
    Padraig Walsh is 23 - I think he demonstrated fantastic ability last year. I would say he has the potential to be a phenomenal player - minus Tommy's indiscipline. Buckley is younger again and a fantastic talent.

Joyce has a number of ALl-Irelands - I don't see the weakness you see. He was fantastic in the reply last year - when it matters he delivers. They all do.

I don't see the issue with pace - with Hogan, or indiscipline with Tommy that was evident with those players. Who were amazing players - as good as it gets. But, I see the current line with the same potential... Being dismissive of Walsh and Joyce is something I can't see the reason to...

- if anyone wants to beat KK they must be able to break their midfield and half back-line. People go on about the full back position and Henry and JJ going... a mere side issue. Their gig was up...

Mick Fennelly, Fogarty, Buckley, Walsh, and Joyce run that show with running, precision passing, tenacious tackling, and never say die attitude - anyone who beats KK will have to break and run through those lines to get at the aging Tyrell and Holden. If you can stop Mick Fennelly running from midfield through the half-back line you would go along way to shoring up KK's most dangerous attacks... Hogan and reid continually receive balls from Fennelly from his runs as they tuck back into the pocket

• Site Banned Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Spirit of 67

Bill is a workman like hurler and a top top class footballer. If I were him personally I wouldn't let that talent go to waste and opt for the footballers. Genuinely think Seamus Kennedy has more to offer to the hurlers though

Why does he not want to be part of the Football Panel do you know ? Does he hope to get a call up from EoS ? I don`t know anything about his Hurley talent , but has a lot of Football played this year and would be great to have on the bench , something we are lacking now !

He came on for the hurlers on sunday

• Site Banned Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Spirit of 67

He came on for the hurlers on sunday

Sound , didn`t see it .

Anyone want to take a guess at how our U21 team might line up this year?

It is a pity if the players concerned are blinded by the sparkle of Celtic Cross medals. I have no evidence of Kennedy playing well for the Hurlers. I have seen him play consistently well for the footballers all through the year.............. so far.
    Keep in mind that he comes from a football club and has done for many years i.e Clonmel Commercials.

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

Bill Maher has more football talent than hurling, he was dropped from the hurling panel earlier this year! Being realistic he has less competition when it comes to getting on the Football team and he is a mighty good footballer.

Just hope he does not get caught between two stools and ends up not playing for any Senior team!

• Advertisement

It is a pity if the players concerned are blinded by the sparkle of Celtic Cross medals. I have no evidence of Kennedy playing well for the Hurlers. I have seen him play consistently well for the footballers all through the year.............. so far.
    Keep in mind that he comes from a football club and has done for many years i.e Clonmel Commercials.

John Leahy once came from a football club too. Moyle Rovers a traditional football stronghold won the county minor hurling last year.

Kennedy was excellent against Clare u21s last year. The manager bizarelly took him off and Colm Galvin barnstormed into the game.

Bill Maher has more football talent than hurling, he was dropped from the hurling panel earlier this year! Being realistic he has less competition when it comes to getting on the Football team and he is a mighty good footballer.

Just hope he does not get caught between two stools and ends up not playing for any Senior team!

This I completely agree with

Think Jimmy's funeral is tomorrow night.

Why does he not want to be part of the Football Panel do you know ? Does he hope to get a call up from EoS ? I don`t know anything about his Hurley talent , but has a lot of Football played this year and would be great to have on the bench , something we are lacking now !

Id imagine his reasons are very similar to another South man Sean Carey who was a very talented footballer but opted for the hurlers. Carey very good at under 21 and for the intermediates tbf but never made the breakthrough. Had a nightmare against Wexford in the league in 2011 where nothing went over the bar for him despite his efforts.

Bill like Carey probably prefers hurling as a sport. I think he could return to senior football at some stage though. In fairness i would doubt the Tipp Football manager will turn him down whether its Creedon or someone else in charge at the time if he was to return and id say same for Carey.

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Dayor Knight

Charlie69 wrote: »
    Not to open an old sore but it was like Brian Hogan's alleged charge into P.Maher last Sept. Another Ref could have given the free the other way and some ref's would have waved play on, as you say .. no consistency .

Surely you mean Brian Hogan's actual charge? Ah enough of that there now, lads......

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

A free was awarded alright,a free out for Limerick.Gavin is some ref:(

Babs Keating told a wonderful story on Today with Sean O'Rourke on RTE Radio One which proved the admiration Doyle had for Ring was mutual.
    "In my working career, Christy and myself covered the same territory for two-and-a-half-years, we were both in the oil business. I used to have lunch with Christy once a fortnight," he said.
    "This particular day in Mallow, a few people came over to talk about hurling. They threw a question at me, 'who is the best hurler ever in your opinion?'.
    I wouldn't answer in Christy's presence but we were walking out afterwards to the car and Christy walked beside me, shrugged his shoulders and said: 'Do ya know Babs, if Jimmy Doyle was as strong as you and I... no one would ever ask who was the greatest hurler'.
    "Probably the greatest the compliment that was ever paid to any hurler."

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭MilfordBud

Anyone want to take a guess at how our U21 team might line up this year?

Well here's my guess.....

I think Brian Hogan could push Paul Maher for goals but would assume Maher will start. I think Tom Fox might be tried out in the full back line as we’ve a lot of cover in half back/midfield but not as much in the full back line. They could also choose to put Breen back here but he’s a colossus at half back or midfield. Tossy Hamill has started the last two years but it’s hard to know if he’ll make this team.

Something like:
    Paul Maher – Moyne
    Ger Fennelly - Ballingarry
    Tom Fox - Annacarty
    Jack Peters – Kilruane
    Mikey Breen - Ballina
    Ronan Maher - Sars
    Barry Heffernan - Nenagh
    Bill Maher - Kilsheelan
    Billy McCarthy - Sars
    John McGrath - Loughmore
    Colin O’Riordan – Brackens
    Stephen O’Brien - Ballina
    Stephen Cahill – Sars (drift out as 3rd midfielder)
    Josh Keane - Golden
    Sean Maher – Clonoulty

A lot of interchangeable players there in the half backs, midfield and half forwards and I’m still leaving off Tossy Hamill (Moyne), Jack Shelly (Mullinahone), Tadhg Gallagher, David Sweeney, Willie Connors (all Kildangan), Jason Ryan , Mark McCarthy (both Toome), Sean Ryan Rogers (Treacy’s), Tom Kirwan (Ballybacon) and surely more that I’m not thinking of.

What's Mark McCarthy's form with Toome like?

• Advertisement

What's Mark McCarthy's form with Toome like?

Very poor, I seen them play a few times this year and he's only came on as a sub and made little impact.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement