Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tipperary GAA (Club and intercounty) Discussion thread 2015

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭evolving tipperary

Both Barrett and Cahill have been injured for a long time and are building themselves back up - O'Shea has decided not to take the risk. They're not fully fit yet

For the record while Barrett and Cahill are better corner backs - Although I think Saint is just as good on his day. I don't share the fears on the full back line - Barry's lack of game time against a strong opponent like Dowling is a worry - but for me, i wouldn't be that worried about the corners.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 843 ✭✭✭QuinDixie

For the record while Barrett and Cahill are better corner backs - Although I think Saint is just as good on his day. I don't share the fears on the full back line - Barry's lack of game time against a strong opponent like Dowling is a worry - but for me, i wouldn't be that worried about the corners.

Stapleton and OBrien have been finished since 2011.
    Two average players.
    Both players are slow and foul extensively, so at the end of a game their markers have not scored much, but they have given away a lot of frees.
    Expect Limerick to get goals on Sunday.

hahah finished since 2011 hahah gas man! What championship games have they been finished in? In particular I don't think I've ever seen the Saint or O'Brien roasted against Limerick???

hahah finished since 2011 hahah gas man! What championship games have they been finished in? In particular I don't think I've ever seen the Saint or O'Brien roasted against Limerick???

i am a tipp man, 2011 saw stapleton destroyed in the final. OBrien was dropped that year by declan Ryan.
    2012, we all remember the cats destroying us.
    2013 were very poor.
    2014 all Irelands stapleton was chronic, OBrien never played.

2 very average players, which is a shame as Staplton was class before 2011 All Ireland final.
    OBrien was always average.

• Advertisement

AVERAGE players - playing and making ALL-IRELAND finals... - O'Brien is in and out of a team that invariably makes all-irelands a lot ... and you consider him average...

2011 final - no KK forward got more than two scores from play - TWO ritchie hogan got 1-1...the rest a couple of points - no one got destroyed... - nobody went to town in 2013 either or 2014 apart from ritchie hogan - a superb player like all of the kk forwards

I said Limerick - not KK - the greatest team to play the game of any generation - and you consider saint and o'brien beaten dockets due to performances against KK- I think its widely accepted our weaknesses where in our half forward and full forward - and constant lack of possession and pressure on our backs caused them to crack on occasion.

I don't agree with your assessments. Both players are still important servants to Tipp hurling and pure quality players to call on for championship. Maybe, they faltered on occasion in ALL-Ireland or semi against teh best opposition out there - but that's it.

I think your assessment is over the top...

AVERAGE players - playing and making ALL-IRELAND finals... - O'Brien is in and out of a team that invariably makes all-irelands a lot ... and you consider him average...

2011 final - no KK forward got more than two scores from play - TWO ritchie hogan got 1-1...the rest a couple of points - no one got destroyed... - nobody went to town in 2013 either or 2014 apart from ritchie hogan - a superb player like all of the kk forwards

I said Limerick - not KK - the greatest team to play the game of any generation - and you consider saint and o'brien beaten dockets due to performances against KK- I think its widely accepted our weaknesses where in our half forward and full forward - and constant lack of possession and pressure on our backs caused them to crack on occasion.

I don't agree with your assessments. Both players are still important servants to Tipp hurling and pure quality players to call on for championship. Maybe, they faltered on occasion in ALL-Ireland or semi against teh best opposition out there - but that's it.

I think your assessment is over the top...

I go to all the games and I have a neutral but honest opinion about our hurlers.
    Stapleton was destroyed in 2011.
    2012 they were all destroyed.
    2013 kilkenny in kilkenny, stapelton was full back that day, too small.
    2014 check the scores kilkenny full forward line got that day.

He is not the only average tipp player, Mcgrath and Woodlock will be skinned Sunday as well.

But stapleton and OBrien are playing in more pressure positions and their mistakes will be heavily punished.

Limerick by +5 points.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭Rasputin11

I don't know - sure, they may start whoever they want on Lynch - and adjust accordingly thereafter. Huge Test for Ronan Maher - personally, if I was the Limerick manager I'd put Dowling or Hannon on Ronan and Breen or O'Grady on Paudie - alternate them on him. I think both Hannon or Dowling would be too strong for Ronan...- there's hay to be made there. Hope he proves me wrong - Ronan is a sumptuous hurler and massive potential - just feel this test might be a bit too early...big leap - i hope he shoves those words right down my throat though.

I'm not enamoured with the midfield selection...think Breen is unlucky.

I hope Jason Forde spends most of his time close to goal and O'Meara is asked to win ball on the half forward line...

I'm asking myself - what's new here? What's going to give us an edge this year.... - I hope I see it on Sunday...

Just saw the KK team - even with the injuries they look stronger than last year...and their bench looks immense - despite their injuries...

How can KK be stronger than last year with JJ and R Power out of the side?? As for their immense bench, I can't see anything remotely immense about it. Not one proven Championship player..nonsense talk.

The KK half backline looks amazing. The full-back line too. Midfield has no rival at this point. A real nice balance of strength, ball winners, power and skill in the forward line:
    Walter Walsh Tullogher Rosbercon
    Richie Hogan Danesfort
    T J Reid Ballyhale Shamrocks
    Ger Aylward Glenmore
    Colin Fennelly Ballyhale Shamrocks
    Eoin Larkin James Stephens

Four players of the highest quality there - Walsh has had a mixed bag so far but so was TJ Reid at Walsh's age - he'll come good. Aylward is really going to add a goal threat to them which has been missing since eddie brennan departed. A real gem underage who has been finding his feet - he looks set to take off - Not one proven championship player...wake up! John Power is on the bench? Remember him in last year's replay?!? Plus, the below, are immensely talented players and pushing hard for places:
    Matthew Ruth James Stephen
    Mark Kelly O’Loughlin Gaels
    Kevin Kelly St Patricks
    Jonjo Farrell Thomastown

Not to mention Michael Walsh.

An embarrassment of riches. They've found layers again - even with the injuries and retirements. When the injuries are sorted they'll be better again. JJ was slipping - was still better than most. Callinan got two goals off him despite JJ's last ditch block. Got out at the right time - Holden looks a fantastic talent. No nonsense here, kid!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,873 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Are the subs listed anywhere?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭Rasputin11

The KK half backline looks amazing. The full-back line too. Midfield has no rival at this point. A real nice balance of strength, ball winners, power and skill in the forward line:
    Walter Walsh Tullogher Rosbercon
    Richie Hogan Danesfort
    T J Reid Ballyhale Shamrocks
    Ger Aylward Glenmore
    Colin Fennelly Ballyhale Shamrocks
    Eoin Larkin James Stephens

Four players of the highest quality there - Walsh has had a mixed bag so far but so was TJ Reid at Walsh's age - he'll come good. Aylward is really going to add a goal threat to them which has been missing since eddie brennan departed. A real gem underage who has been finding his feet - he looks set to take off - Not one proven championship player...wake up! John Power is on the bench? Remember him in last year's replay?!? Plus, the below, are immensely talented players and pushing hard for places:
    Matthew Ruth James Stephen
    Mark Kelly O’Loughlin Gaels
    Kevin Kelly St Patricks
    Jonjo Farrell Thomastown

Not to mention Michael Walsh.

An embarrassment of riches. They've found layers again - even with the injuries and retirements. When the injuries are sorted they'll be better again. JJ was slipping - was still better than most. Callinan got two goals off him despite JJ's last ditch block. Got out at the right time - Holden looks a fantastic talent. No nonsense here, kid!

A load of gibberish. What does listing out the players clubs prove exactly? Ruth, the 2 Kellys and Farrell are average forwards at best.

1 game hardly proves John Power as a Championship player, he's a slower, less talented version of his brother. Larkin's best days are well behind him, Walter Walsh will never be anywhere near as good as TJ Reid, predictable and pretty one sided. Alyward doesn't look anything out of the ordinary, not much size and lacking in pace. Holden got roasted in the first AI Final.

SNIP

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

I'd be wary with Conor o brien. Can't fault his commitment but he's small, slow and hasn't the skill of the man he's stepping in for. He's been found out in plenty games and not just against the cats. He'll give away at least 5 frees and get booked at some stage.

Don't think I'd have similar worries about Stapleton.

Tbf eos isn't gonna risk fellas now. He's right too. A loss to Limerick would be bad but not disasterous. Also, Limerick don't have 6 star forwards. I'd guess we'd get away missing one or two backs against them.

Big day for forde. He's on the squad long enough to be a bigger player for us.

Way over the top and emotional beyond belief. Embarrassing in the lack of reality and common sense - dismissing players without logic or practical reason.

Tipp never list subs

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭buggy beag

What do you think of the forward line?

Ya id be happy with it bar maybe forde.agree with you would rather see him closer to goal starting corner forward.with o meara,maher and maher hopfully we have good ball winners in the half forward line and with seamie forde and bubbles hopfully there to finish.game could be won or lost in midfield.i think conors alright very tenacious altough he is liable to foul a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭buggy beag

Haha sum buzz give him the number 15 jersey tomorrow

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 68 ✭✭I am the Res

Intermediate team for Sunday..
    Darragh Mooney (Éire Óg Annacarty Donohill)
    Sean O'Brien (Newport) Michéal Butler (Drom & Inch) Tom Tracey (Cappawhite),
    Brian Stapleton (Templederry Kenyons) John Coghlan (Moyne Templetuohy) Willie Ryan (Clonakenny),
    Liam Ryan (Drom & Inch) Daire Quinn (Nenagh Éire Óg),
    Paudie O'Dwyer (Éire Óg Annacarty Donohill) Kieran Morris (Moycarkey-Borris), David Butler (Drom & Inch)
    Davin Flynn (Roscrea) Adrian Ryan (Templederry Kenyons) Liam McGrath (Loughmore Castleiney)

What`s the point in putting this up a second time ?

Daire Quinn has real potential. Wouldn't mind seeing him up at senior level soon enough.

How would you improve Daire Quinn ?
    What would you do to make Daire Quinn a Senior Player ?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

How would you improve Daire Quinn?
    What would you do to make Daire Quinn a Senior Player?
    Spirit, I think he would need some work on speed mainly but he is still only 22/23 so has loads of time if he is to go up a grade at inter-county level. Where would you think he would have to improve to play senior?

• Advertisement

Spirit, I think he would need some work on speed mainly but he is still only 22/23 so has loads of time if he is to go up a grade at inter-county level. Where would you think he would have to improve to play senior?

How would you improve Daire Quinns speed ?
    What would you do to make Daire Quinn a top sprinter , a Hurling Dynamo ?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,873 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Great spirit in here :)

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

How would you improve Daire Quinns speed?
    What would you do to make Daire Quinn a top sprinter, a Hurling Dynamo ?
    What do would you do?
    Send him into Denis Finnerty and Nenagh Olympic with their indoor 200m track in Tyone and get him doing a huge amount of work in there over a winter.

Great spirit in here :)

Think she`s playing with an Ouija Board while she is on here as well ! Stay away from them yokes they are dangerous !

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭Paarthurnax

Wet old morning in Limerick, hope it clears in time for the sparks to fly.
    Hon Tipp lets clear the first hurdle on the way to bringing back Liam!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

Wet old morning in Limerick, hope it clears in time for the sparks to fly.
    Hon Tipp lets clear the first hurdle on the way to bringing back Liam!

Well apparently Jason forde wouldn't be a man for the sun;)

Intermediates lost 1-23 to 2-13

Kilkenny looking awesome against Wexford...

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭Paarthurnax

Intermediates were brutal! At least the sun is beginning to shine.

How did Daire Quinn play ?
    Can Daire Quinn now concentrate on making the step up to Senior ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭PlayByTheRules

Delighted for Jason Forde, he silenced a few doubters today. Needs to back it up the next day but I think a few on this board are right, closer to goal might suit him better, seems to have the mida's touch.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement