Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tipperary GAA (Club and intercounty) Discussion thread 2015

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭OAOB

Delighted with the performance today but i think Limerick were pretty poor. Was good to see the team on the pitch managed to stop the Limerick momentum and the management trusted them to do it and didn't make changes immediately. That experience will be needed later in the year.

Backs were solid today but Conor O'Brien got caught out a few times. Good debut by Ronan Maher, solid if not spectacular.
    Midfield were great in the first half but not as visible in the second.
    Forwards were great, Bubbles was terrific from play, he's an absolute pleasure to watch.
    Thought with 15mins to go we could have thrown another sub or two on.

Just a point on Jason Forde, thought he was great today and I really rate him as a hurler. My fear for him has always been his speed at this level. Todays type of game suited him and I really hope this is the launch of his intercounty career.

Well done to all the lads, i hope the beers they have this year taste better than the ones they had after the Limerick game last year.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭igorbiscan

Well done tipp, great performance from forde,delighted for him,seemed to need a shot of confidence, and well done EOS for sticking with him..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

Think we needed that win today more than Limerick. Fair play to the team they did the business. Plus we've some cracking players to return. Tbf we've to consider the opposition. Usually the red rag that is a tipp Jersey brings the best from Limerick. You'd wonder what was wrong with them today..it's the first time under tj that Limerick haven't delivered their best. It's easy say it now, but they lack that bit of class to push on for an all Ireland like at least 4 other counties.

You'd still be a bit worried regarding the start of the 2nd half. Though the fact we weathered the storm and pushed on is a great sign. That's some score given we'd a barren 14 mins in the second half. Maybe it was a bit harsh on Limerick ?

Don't think those of us who berated them after going on the lash after last years Limerick defeat - I include myself amongst them- would begrudge then a party tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,841 ✭✭✭Charlie69

Tipperary were very impressive today lads, Callinan and Dwyer were sublime again today, both close to unplayable at the moment . This team looks like its maturing into a real force.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

Some win for Tipp today,great to hammer them after losing to them the last couple of years,some saves by Gleeson he was unreal today.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭evolving tipperary

He's miles away from senior...

Superb performance today.

Forde was immense and to be honest i too had my doubts about whether he could emerge as a vital player for us. Too many games previous were passing him by. Today it was as if he decided he was filling the gap that Noel has left.

Ill admit that 15 min gap without scoring gave me cause for some concern. However to be fair to the lads once we composed ourselves at all it was plain sailing. Limerick by contrast will be very disappointed. Too many lads like McCarthy, James Ryan and David Breen never imposed themselves on the game as they can do, but this game may help them to refocus.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,954 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

might not get away with the poor start to the second half as easy the next day against waterford , but none the less a very good win and the gauntlet well and truly set by the big 2 today bar a momentum building run from one of the qualifiers it is already looking ominous of a tipperary/kilkenny final

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭Triboro

So what will be the story for Munster final tickets,will they go on general sale for all and any ideas when that might be?

Yesterday's dismissal in the Waterford club championship won’t interfere with Austin Gleeson’s inter-county commitments next month as he’ll be involved in Waterford’s Munster senior final against Tipperary on 12 July and Waterford’s Munster U21 semi-final against Clare on 16 July.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8V_TFjW9HOQ

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭Paarthurnax

Triboro wrote: »
    So what will be the story for Munster final tickets,will they go on general sale for all and any ideas when that might be?
    Season ticket holders will get the option of buying them (Cant see any season ticket holder not going unless they have some bigger occasion:rolleyes:) Tickets .ie should have them on sale this week or next. Not sure about supervalue. The actual venue for the Munster Final has to be decided tomorrow evening.

QuinDixie wrote: »
    Stapleton and OBrien have been finished since 2011.
    Two average players.
    Both players are slow and foul extensively, so at the end of a game their markers have not scored much, but they have given away a lot of frees.
    Expect Limerick to get goals on Sunday.

Well, this turned out to be completely inaccurate...

Both corners were very good. It's easy to pick on individuals - the games Tipp lost where both these guys played in the past was due to collective failure - particularly an inability to win ball in the forwards which led to ball after ball after ball down on the tipp backs - something similar happened yesterday after half-time for a short spell. These guys are quality operators who have struggled against the best of the best at times - it doesn't make them average players. Duignan referred to them both as top class yesterday - tip's four corner backs on the panel - and he's right.

QuinDixie wrote: »
    I go to all the games and I have a neutral but honest opinion about our hurlers.
    Stapleton was destroyed in 2011.
    2012 they were all destroyed.
    2013 kilkenny in kilkenny, stapelton was full back that day, too small.
    2014 check the scores kilkenny full forward line got that day.

He is not the only average tipp player, Mcgrath and Woodlock will be skinned Sunday as well.

But stapleton and OBrien are playing in more pressure positions and their mistakes will be heavily punished.

Limerick by +5 points.

Completely inaccurate also. McGrath and Woodlock were fantastic as we're the corners. They only team to give these players trouble are Kilkenny who trouble everybody - yet,I've no doubt that KK would acknowledge these lads as some of their toughest opponents if not the toughest.

Great win anyway can go back to work in Limerick with full bragging rights restored. Forde came of age, gritty performance from NOM even though he only scored one hes not afraid to get stuck in. Bubbles score in the first half was epic from where I was sitting I looked liked it would go about 20 foot wide but it gradually just curled and curled. Best point I've witnessed at intercounty. Rest of the team have been aptly praised in previous posts. Great to see attacking hurling, its whats made Tipp successful down through the years.

Yeah? Still think the same...

Kilkenny have potentially their best every half back line - Holden is a fine player. Alyward has massive potential as do the Kelly's and others on the bench... no nonsense either

Oh yeah I forgot to say that "Brian Gavin" is some dick!!!!!

Rasputin11 wrote: »
    A load of gibberish. What does listing out the players clubs prove exactly? Ruth, the 2 Kellys and Farrell are average forwards at best.

1 game hardly proves John Power as a Championship player, he's a slower, less talented version of his brother. Larkin's best days are well behind him, Walter Walsh will never be anywhere near as good as TJ Reid, predictable and pretty one sided. Alyward doesn't look anything out of the ordinary, not much size and lacking in pace. Holden got roasted in the first AI Final.

After reading through all your rubbish I'd wonder whether you're from Tipp at all, sycophantic stuff really.

Another comment based on spite rather than logic - all this proved inaccurate. Fantastic display by KK and those players - particularly Alyward.

Dosen't mater where a supporter is from - analysis should be base don common sense and objective analysis. That's the only thing that will lead to some intelligent insights.

KK are the best team out there at the moment - but, I've a sneaky feeling that the Galway forwards have plenty to give them a lot of trouble...The Galway backs that's another story...

Spirit, I think he would need some work on speed mainly but he is still only 22/23 so has loads of time if he is to go up a grade at inter-county level. Where would you think he would have to improve to play senior?

He's still under 21 methinks?

digzy wrote: »
    Think we needed that win today more than Limerick. Fair play to the team they did the business. Plus we've some cracking players to return. Tbf we've to consider the opposition. Usually the red rag that is a tipp Jersey brings the best from Limerick. You'd wonder what was wrong with them today..it's the first time under tj that Limerick haven't delivered their best. It's easy say it now, but they lack that bit of class to push on for an all Ireland like at least 4 other counties.

You'd still be a bit worried regarding the start of the 2nd half. Though the fact we weathered the storm and pushed on is a great sign. That's some score given we'd a barren 14 mins in the second half. Maybe it was a bit harsh on Limerick ?

Don't think those of us who berated them after going on the lash after last years Limerick defeat - I include myself amongst them- would begrudge then a party tonight.

I think you must credit to Tipp for keeping the head and believing the breaks/goals would come - before when Limerick got on rolls like that, the previous two years, they went on to win - not this time...

We were better prepared this time around - Brendan dropping deep and helping out the backs worked...maybe a fit noelie might not get back in...I certainly think that Jason Forde is faster than Noelie...

We were a force before the game! Just need to put this one to bed and another one to come....

• Advertisement

Superb performance today.

Forde was immense and to be honest i too had my doubts about whether he could emerge as a vital player for us. Too many games previous were passing him by. Today it was as if he decided he was filling the gap that Noel has left.

Ill admit that 15 min gap without scoring gave me cause for some concern. However to be fair to the lads once we composed ourselves at all it was plain sailing. Limerick by contrast will be very disappointed. Too many lads like McCarthy, James Ryan and David Breen never imposed themselves on the game as they can do, but this game may help them to refocus.

You have to remember that Forde is 21 years old... - some players mature differently. He's been our best underage product for a long time ... I wouldn't doubt anything about him

• Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭Rasputin11

Forde isn't U21 this year.

No, but he is 21. Daire Quinn is who the comment refers to, another poster's comment,... but Quinn was a minor in 2010 so he is probably older than that

The tactics employed by the tipp intermediate management beggared belief...at various points there was one inside tipp forward surrounded by two to three limerick backs...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

What do ye make of the puck outs?

We used a lot of short puck outs, especially against the wind in the first half. I'm not a fan of them. We fumbled a few of them and a better team would have taken advantage. Second half we went longer, but Limerick won them all at the start of second half which helped them back into the game. Half forward line still struggles to win high ball, maybe short puck outs are the way to go?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

What do ye make of the puck outs?

We used a lot of short puck outs, especially against the wind in the first half. I'm not a fan of them. We fumbled a few of them and a better team would have taken advantage. Second half we went longer, but Limerick won them all at the start of second half which helped them back into the game. Half forward line still struggles to win high ball, maybe short puck outs are the way to go?

That was due to the huge wind - need to keep it low - as the wind was holding everything up in the first half. Going long - I'd imagine the hope was it would put direct pressure on the limerick full back line - but it suited limerick as they crowded the area in the first 15. The third goal meant they had to come on to us which left them open...

Also, it was our first game - passing, and ball control will get better as we go on. But, every team needs to have the ability to long or short - otherwise it's too easy for a team to prepare for you

The tactics employed by the tipp intermediate management beggared belief...at various points there was one inside tipp forward surrounded by two to three limerick backs...

Fethards Michael Ryan who won back to back intermediates and had them playing a beautiful brand of hurling was very unfairlly overlooked for the minor or u21 job if you ask me. The current shambles just goes to show the fine job he done.

Does anyone know if O'Riordan and O'Brien are committed to the under 21 hurlers this year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

Yeah? Still think the same...

Kilkenny have potentially their best every half back line - Holden is a fine player. Alyward has massive potential as do the Kelly's and others on the bench... no nonsense either

Seriously? Their best half back line ever??

• Advertisement

Does anyone know if O'Riordan and O'Brien are committed to the under 21 hurlers this year?

Id imagine they will. We have a real good team this year although Waterford have a good team too tbf to them.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement