Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tipperary GAA (Club and intercounty) Discussion thread 2015

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,070 ✭✭✭Xenophile

glued wrote: »
    EOS will be in big trouble if we lose on Sunday. So many voices have been against this camp. Injuries and fatigue being the main causes of concern.

I don't think so, the back door is now a great way of getting to the business end of the season.

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

Good to report that Alan O'Riordan was given a clean bill of health after that sickening collision yesterday.

It's only a few weeks ago that his young brother Colin was in the wars at the same venue Vs Sligo

Xenophile wrote: »
    I don't think so, the back door is now a great way of getting to the business end of the season.

We need to win Sunday if anything to gain some psychological edge for down the line

We need to win Sunday if anything to gain some psychological edge for down the line

As many pundits have raised Tipperary's expectations. Maybe this year, would be a good year to come in under the radar. Psychological advantage can be built up over time. And the slower the build up the more effective it can be.

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭OAOB

I think Tipp have to win this weekend so that the media don't start talking bull**** about Limerick being there bogey team in Munster.
    Also the backlash from the fans last year after the loss was ridiculous, people calling for lads to be dropped and EOS to be fired. In the end I think it brought the team closer together.

It'll be very interesting to see the team named for Sunday as there is a lot of uncertainty around the fitness of a number of marquee players. We have strength in depth but that will be challenged this weekend.
    Our hurling will be good enough but Limericks attitude for the fight cost us the last 2 years, if our heads are right we'll win it.
    I'd like to see us put down a statement by trouncing them but a gutsy come from behind win might be more beneficial long term

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

OAOB wrote: »
    I think Tipp have to win this weekend so that the media don't start talking bull**** about Limerick being there bogey team in Munster.
    Also the backlash from the fans last year after the loss was ridiculous, people calling for lads to be dropped and EOS to be fired. In the end I think it brought the team closer together.

It'll be very interesting to see the team named for Sunday as there is a lot of uncertainty around the fitness of a number of marquee players. We have strength in depth but that will be challenged this weekend.
    Our hurling will be good enough but Limericks attitude for the fight cost us the last 2 years, if our heads are right we'll win it.
    I'd like to see us put down a statement by trouncing them but a gutsy come from behind win might be more beneficial long term

TBF the galway game last year was a major turning point. If we'd lost that I doubt EOS would still be there. Up to when things turned around in that game we were a team in serious trouble. The fans expect the team to be in the top 2 or 3 every year. The way we lost to limerick was sickening last year. We'd the better players but they seemed to have greater desire. The stories of the lads on the lash afterwards rubbed salt into the wounds.

Xenophile wrote: »
    Loughnane is right, the Tipperary camp must be very unsettled after the nature of Paul Curran's going.

Where are all these psychologists who could not pull him aside and tell say to him " thanks Paul but I do not think you are going to make it this year" rather than have him come out the day after he was dropped from the panel and announce his own retirement.

Prove me wrong but the hurlers are in for a short season.

I'm looking fwd to regurgitating this auld nugget over the summer;)

I'd be inclined to agree with you. A victory Sunday would be better that winning against Waterford in the bigger scheme of things.

If we do lose Sunday hopefully it won't be because we're lacking the 'bottle' and we wont have to hear that willie o connor crowing again:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭evolving tipperary

Tipperary boss Eamon O'Shea will run the rule over his walking wounded at training this evening and insists that only defender John Meagher is definitely ruled out of Sunday's Munster SHC semi-final against Limerick at this point.
    GO TO
    It is understood that All-Star forward John 'Bubbles' O'Dwyer sustained an ankle injury on a weekend training camp, while O'Shea is also monitoring the progress of 2014 Young Hurler of the Year Cathal Barrett, Lar Corbett and John McGrath.
    Denis Maher and Michael Cahill are both on the comeback trail from injury and O'Shea accepts that some players may be undercooked as they prepare to meet a Limerick team with a championship win under their belts.
    Speaking to Tipp FM last night, O'Shea said: "We'll know more about the injuries tomorrow night - at the moment John Meagher is the only one ruled out. At this stage, it will probably be the middle of the week before we'll know for sure.
    "Cathal hasn't done a lot of hurling, Bubbles is hurling away and has had bits and pieces. Larry Corbett and John McGrath, we'll know for sure during the middle of the week.
    "Denis Maher is making really good progress. He had a serious injury (dislocated shoulder) and was out for a serious length of time but the last few weeks have seen him come on a lot. I'd be optimistic in terms of our injury problems," the manager said.
    O'Shea indicated that he will trust his instinct when making the call on key players, adding: "You're trying to make judgment calls all the time about players and where they're at.
    "We've had our fair share of injuries but all counties have injury worries. It's the first round of the Munster Championship and preparing properly, you're bound to pick up injuries. We've had long-term ones but it's about making a judgment all the time on how far along people are and how they're training."
    O'Shea believes that Limerick are at a "slight advantage" having scored a quarter-final victory over Clare, but he added: "All of that won't matter much on Sunday once the ball is thrown in. I've huge confidence in our team and our squad."

TJ Ryan could wait until less than 48-hours before Sunday’s Munster SHC semi final to confirm his starting team in order to give his injured stars every chance to prove their fitness.

Ahead of Sunday’s Gaelic Grounds clash with Tipperary, Limerick have a number of injuries and while all are hopeful of proving their fitness management may be forced to wait until Friday evening to announce their starting line-up.

Gavin O’Mahony and Paul Browne have been the main concerns for the past two weeks, while others like Richie McCarthy, Seamus Hickey and Graeme Mulcahy have seen off their respective knocks.

Come Sunday afternoon, Limerick are expected to be able to call upon all of their 30-man panel, except the suspended Seanie Tobin and injured goalkeeper Nickie Quaid, with Barry Hennessy again taking his the role between the posts.

But TJ Ryan and selectors have options available if they wish to make changes from the Clare win, with Wayne McNamara pushing for a return to defence and fit again duo David Breen and Kevin Downes options in attack.

Breen was expected to miss the Tipperary game but his recovery is ahead of schedule after a foot injury.

Tipperary, meanwhile, have injury worries over John O’Dwyer, Cathal Barrett, Kieran Bergin, Michael Cahill and Lar Corbett.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

Definitely need beat Limerick on Sunday,can't have them beating us three games in a row,I would like to see us win Munster this year to give the team a boost and a taste of winning a trophy.

tippspur wrote: »
    Definitely need beat Limerick on Sunday,can't have them beating us three games in a row,I would like to see us win Munster this year to give the team a boost and a taste of winning a trophy.

We need to start proving we can grind out wins over the teams who keep it tight. Failure to do so would suggest we're going nowhere fast anytime soon at least not under O'Shea and certainly not under Mick Ryan if he shares the same ideology as EOS

Sportsfile portraits of our two top class teams :)

Hurlers

Footballers

ednesday, June 17, 2015By Denis Hurley
    Sunday’s clash with Limerick in the Gaelic Grounds will be the start of Michael Ryan’s last Munster SHC campaign as a Tipperary selector.

In October of last year, it was decided that Ryan will take over as manager from Eamon O’Shea from the beginning of the 2016 campaign, but the Upperchurch native insists that it makes no difference to how this season is approached.

“It’s as we were, business as usual,” he says.

“It’s an unusual step, I suppose a pioneering step in GAA circles. It was done for purposes of certainty and continuity, it ties in with what I wanted to achieve but that’s 2016. I worked with Eamon during Liam Sheedy’s term, then we were out for two years and he brought me back in with him.
    READ NEXT: GAA is lifetime’s passion for this 86-year-old reporter

“I’ve an excellent working relationship with Eamon, and being honest, that was the reason I came back. I wasn’t looking to come back in at that time but when he came and asked me, the answer was always going to be yes, such was the positive relationship.

“Next year won’t be a distraction, in any way, shape or form.”

Ryan’s two years away from the scene when Declan Ryan took over as manager allowed him to get involved at committee level with his club Upperchurch-Drombane, but beyond that he kept his powder dry.

“It’s a big commitment and there are so many other things that get left undone when you are involved, be it career-wise or family-wise, more importantly.

“Those couple of years were valuable from that perspective but then, we are who we are, we jump straight back in. “You come back a bit fresher and you’re a year or two older and wiser.” Tipp come into the 2015 season wiser after losing the All-Ireland final against Kilkenny. Coming so close after taking the Cats to a replay doesn’t necessarily make it easier or harder to regroup.

“It’s the same regardless, everybody has to start again,” Ryan says.

“You’ll have gained a bit of confidence but the fitness won’t hold, you need to get your body ready for competition again. In terms of your mind, I think it comes down to desire – do you really want this thing?

“You ask yourself some very hard questions in terms of commitment, what it means to you and what you’re going to do differently. I take my energy from watching these young fellas and what it means to them.”

Despite last year’s near-heroics, O’Shea is still looking for a first win in the Munster championship, with defeats to Limerick in 2013 and ’14. By contrast, Declan Ryan never lost a provincial game but his two-year term isn’t viewed as much of a success.

Nevertheless, his namesake wouldn’t prefer to take the scenic route.

“You’re in the results business, and results are funny,” he says.

“What might be deemed success today mightn’t have looked like success in the past. It all depends on what context you’re viewing things in.

“On July 12, there’s a Munster championship on offer for Waterford and either ourselves or Limerick. We want that as much as anyone else.

“It always meant a lot to me as a player because, when I was growing up, Tipp weren’t winning anything, they weren’t even in Munster finals, let alone to dream about All-Irelands.

“I grew up listening to folklore about my dad cycling to Munster finals in Limerick. They mean a lot where I’m from and I think they mean a lot to Tipperary always.”

This season is the first where Tipp haven’t had Eoin Kelly since 1999. Coming a year after Brendan Cummins’ retirement, it means that the county are without two players who were leaders for more than a decade, but Ryan believes that there are plenty of suitable replacements.

“It creates a vacuum but, with that, it creates an opportunity, it depends on what colour glasses you’re looking at it with,” he says.

“Brendan Maher came in a few years ago and has really grown and then you’ve someone like Pádraic Maher, who’s just a tremendous player. He’s a phenomenal trainer, it’s not an accident that he’s as strong or as fit as he is.

“If you were talking to a group of young fellas about role models, you’d pick out Pádraic and say, ‘Watch this guy, look at how he addresses the ball and what he tries to do’.

“There’s no secret. It’s the same as in business or anything else, they’re trying to improve all the time.”

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭PlayByTheRules

So who is going to play as full-back for ye? Barry? Would be wise to play an extra back to cancel out Dowling as Clare did but can't see it happening with EOS.

Is Padraic Maher fully fit?

Who is going to mark the spritely Cian Lynch?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Intermediate team for Sunday named. Thoughts? Daire Quinn has real potential. Wouldn't mind seeing him up at senior level soon enough.

Darragh Mooney (Éire Óg Annacarty Donohill), Sean O'Brien (Newport), Michéal Butler (Drom & Inch), Tom Tracey (Cappawhite), Brian Stapleton (Templederry Kenyons), John Coghlan (Moyne-Templetuohy, Capt), Willie Ryan (Clonakenny), Liam Ryan (Drom & Inch), Daire Quinn (Nenagh Éire Óg), Paudie O'Dwyer (Éire Óg Annacarty), Kieran Morris (Moycarkey-Borris), David Butler (Drom & Inch), Davin Flynn (Roscrea), Adrian Ryan (Templederry Kenyons), Liam McGrath (Loughmore/Castleiney).

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭buggy beag

Just in super valu apparently no clare end terrace tickets left

How do supporters know what terrace their own county fans will be on next Sunday?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,978 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

buggy beag wrote: »
    Just in super valu apparently no clare end terrace tickets left

Same here, luckily I was planning on heading to the city end anyway! That's all that left anyway.

Same here, luckily I was planning on heading to the city end anyway! That's all that left anyway.

Ya was thinking for a minute would i but the thoughts of being in the limerick end put me off haha knew it was going to be packed didnt think the terrace would have sold out by thursday though

• Advertisement

Xenophile wrote:
    How do supporters know what terrace their own county fans will be on next Sunday?

It was on the tipperary gaa website

Lad in supervalu rang me this morning said more tickets now on sale for the clare road end

The Tipperary Senior Hurling team to play Limerick on Sunday has been announced as follows –

Darren Gleeson; Paddy Stapleton, James Barry, Conor O’Brien; Kieran Bergin, Padraic Maher, Ronan Maher; James Woodlock, Shane McGrath; Jason Forde, Brendan Maher (Captain), Patrick Maher; John O’Dwyer, Seamus Callanan, Niall O’Meara

1. Barry Hennessy (Kilmallock), 2. Stephen Walsh (Glenroe), 3. Richie McCarthy (Blackrock), 4. Seamus Hickey (Murroe Boher), 5. Seanie O Brien (Patrickswell), 6. Gavin O Mahony (Kilmallock), 7. Tom Condon (Knockaderry), 8. James Ryan (Garryspillane), 9. Paudie O Brien (Kilmallock), 10. Donal O Grady (Granagh Ballingarry)(Captain), 11. Declan Hannon (Adare), 12. David Been (Na Piarsaigh), 13. Graeme Mulcahy (Kilmallock), 14. Shane Dowling (Na Piarsaigh) 15. Cian Lynch (Patrickswell).

Darren Gleeson; Paddy Stapleton, James Barry, Conor O’Brien; Kieran Bergin, Padraic Maher, Ronan Maher; James Woodlock, Shane McGrath; Jason Forde, Brendan Maher (Captain), Patrick Maher; John O’Dwyer, Seamus Callanan, Niall O’Meara

Well e.t. what ya reckon of the team?think id rather see conor o brien on young lynch than saint

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Intermediate team for Sunday..
    Darragh Mooney (Éire Óg Annacarty Donohill)
    Sean O'Brien (Newport) Michéal Butler (Drom & Inch) Tom Tracey (Cappawhite),
    Brian Stapleton (Templederry Kenyons) John Coghlan (Moyne Templetuohy) Willie Ryan (Clonakenny),
    Liam Ryan (Drom & Inch) Daire Quinn (Nenagh Éire Óg),
    Paudie O'Dwyer (Éire Óg Annacarty Donohill) Kieran Morris (Moycarkey-Borris), David Butler (Drom & Inch)
    Davin Flynn (Roscrea) Adrian Ryan (Templederry Kenyons) Liam McGrath (Loughmore Castleiney)

I don't know - sure, they may start whoever they want on Lynch - and adjust accordingly thereafter. Huge Test for Ronan Maher - personally, if I was the Limerick manager I'd put Dowling or Hannon on Ronan and Breen or O'Grady on Paudie - alternate them on him. I think both Hannon or Dowling would be too strong for Ronan...- there's hay to be made there. Hope he proves me wrong - Ronan is a sumptuous hurler and massive potential - just feel this test might be a bit too early...big leap - i hope he shoves those words right down my throat though.

I'm not enamoured with the midfield selection...think Breen is unlucky.

I hope Jason Forde spends most of his time close to goal and O'Meara is asked to win ball on the half forward line...

I'm asking myself - what's new here? What's going to give us an edge this year.... - I hope I see it on Sunday...

Just saw the KK team - even with the injuries they look stronger than last year...and their bench looks immense - despite their injuries...

What do you think of the forward line?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

I have to say I'm a little disappointed with the starting team,No Cahill,Barrett or Breen.the full back line is far from our best,we really need Niall O Meara and Forde to make a mark on this game or we'll heading for the back door again.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,872 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

I'd be very worried about that full back line.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 843 ✭✭✭QuinDixie

Expect Limerick to target the full back line.
    Barry no game time, OBrien and Stapleton will probably give away about 10 frees.
    This game is a more of a test for Limericks All Ireland credentials, the Tipp full back line is that poor.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement