Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Arcade and Retro Chat - Insert Coin -

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Are you worried that liking it might put you on "the side" of fanboys?
    Kinda not a good idea to start disliking something because it could be popular with a group you don't like.
    The trailer is nicely made, it reminds us of all the elements of the franchise that made it great in the first place, and shows us that there's new stories to tell.
    What on earth did you want from the trailer?
    What did you want to see in it?
    These tales are all ultimately simple stories, no deep complexity here.
    Aside from the sfx they are still the same tales of betrayal and redemption, white hats and black hats, going at it.
    The prequels mixed in some politics and was all the worse for it.
    If you are looking for something by an artiste then this is the wrong franchise.

You might regard Star Wars as being risky but it wasn't.
    It was an independently made film that was then distributed by one of the biggest studios in the movie business, not exactly an art house release.
    It was a swashbuckler, swinging on lines, sword fights, ships, good guys and bad guys, the young hero, the older master, nothing but tropes as far as the eye can see.....
    It was experimental in terms of sfx technology but certainly not story telling, or casting, maybe it was revolutionary in terms of marketing most of all.
    There were whole lifts, in terms of sfx shots, from 633 Squadron, the climactic trench run was a copy, including the "revolutionary" model work, much of it was in the much older film.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,993 ✭✭✭Nerdkiller1991

The latter two movies were the ones that were independently funded, but it was A New Hope that was the one that Fox paid for. That's why it's the one that Disney doesn't currently own, not unless they fork out a significant amount of cash to get it. And you might say that all that swashbuckling spectacle didn't make it risky, but when you look at it during a time where one of the highest grossing films was a rather talky gangster crime film, I fail to see as to why Star Wars wasn't a big risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭James Howlett

I stopped watching trailers for movies that I know I'm gonna go see. I find it better to enjoy the film as a whole without questioning from the back of your mind about when x and y sequence from the trailer will happen. More is left as a surprise and I find the experience all the better.

As I see it, things have gotten out of hand with trailers and information available ahead of a movies release. While I was avoiding the star wars trailer during the week I noticed a headline for "the top 5 parts of the latest star wars trailer." I feel that if you analyse something too much then you may not be able to enjoy the finished product.

Have my tickets booked for Avengers this week, for which I have viewed zero trailers, can't wait.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Yeah, but...I just want a fresh take on the series rather than simply just hanging on to the vestiges of the Original Trilogy that would only make those rabid fans go "SQUEEEE!". Which is why I'm hoping Rian Johnson's Episode VIII will finally do its own thing, much less burdened by what we would have come to expect and maybe take some unpredictable risks that will certainly irritate many fans, but actually elevate the quality of the series in the long term. Remember, back in 1977, the original Star Wars was considered a fairly risky property during an era when ambitious auteur driven works of film was considered the norm. And I feel that the series deserves to be that again. Oh sure, I'm certain VII will be a fun ride, but I also feel that it's not really gonna pull any punches. Even the possibility of, say, killing off Han Solo would feel a tad predictable, because of our own knowledge of Star Wars' background and production. So yeah...I'm not really annoyed that Star Wars is back, but I feel it deserves to be more.

I hear what you're saying, & I'd agree for the most part. I think Star Wars if it's to be any good, needs to grow and push on past what has been established. However, you can't know from two <2 teasers that EPVII won't be just that. Plus, even if it isn't, & it is a glorified nod to the original trilogy, I'd have higher hopes of VIII doing the brave thing :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

Why does everything need a fresh take, look what happened with the new superman film and zack snyders ego prompting him to re write the origin of a historic character.

After the let down of the prequel trilogy, I welcome the return of the classic characters, these two trailers have instantly taken me back to my childhood quicker than anything I've seen in years. When that theme music hits and you see the falcon, amazing.

Han and chewie at the end of the new one, love it.

Ill be first in line at the midnight opening!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

So everybody looking forward to the new Hirokazu Koreeda film? What a ****ing teaser! Those Ozu-esque camera angles make my feel like a kid again!

Why does everything need a fresh take, look what happened with the new superman film and zack snyders ego prompting him to re write the origin of a historic character.

After the let down of the prequel trilogy, I welcome the return of the classic characters, these two trailers have instantly taken me back to my childhood quicker than anything I've seen in years. When that theme music hits and you see the falcon, amazing.

Han and chewie at the end of the new one, love it.

Ill be first in line at the midnight opening!
    I'm not looking for that kind of change (in MoS's case, it seemed to approach the series as if it was fundamentally broken and needed their help of a repair that was never needed). I'm just looking for a bit of a shift from the regular norm that we've been so used to for almost 40 years now. Not some Man of Steel-esque revision where it missed the point of the character. This might be strawmanning a bit, but I, for one, am shocked at the amount of fans that simply don't want the series to move forward beyond the Original Series and let someone who is capable of delivering a fresh take with the same tone. Man of Steel was bad and the dreary visual style was one of them. A hopeful character turned unhopeful. We don't need that kind of change. Just with what this universe is capable of.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Seeing as we are now an extension of the film forum....
    I saw Mortdecai this evening.
    I may never recover.
    You'd imagine after The Tourist I'd have had more sense.
    And after Transcendence I should have washed my hands of him.
    But, no, I succumbed to another performance of him with a stupid accent.
    Actually, he sounds exactly like a Fast Show character, which has extra irony seeing as Paul Whitehouse has a role in the film.
    You'd actually imagine that, with a much smaller budget, the movie would've been better with Whitehouse as the lead!
    Paul Bettany is pretty good though!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I saw Mortdecai this evening

Why?!

Watched Tokyo Tribe last night. Definitely the best Japanese kung-fu gangster rap opera I've seen in the last six months, like Spring Breakers crossed with Scarface, The Warriors and Breakin' 2: Electric Boogaloo.

Why?!

Watched Tokyo Tribe last night. Definitely the best Japanese kung-fu gangster rap opera I've seen in the last six months, like Spring Breakers crossed with Scarface, The Warriors and Breakin' 2: Electric Boogaloo.

I don't know.
    Maybe I did something wrong in a previous life and was attempting to atone.
    Actually though, while it wasn't a fantastic movie I don't think it quite deserved the grilling it received from critics.
    And Bettany is brilliant in it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Seeing as we are now an extension of the film forum....
    I saw Mortdecai this evening.
    I may never recover.
    You'd imagine after The Tourist I'd have had more sense.
    And after Transcendence I should have washed my hands of him.
    But, no, I succumbed to another performance of him with a stupid accent.
    Actually, he sounds exactly like a Fast Show character, which has extra irony seeing as Paul Whitehouse has a role in the film.
    You'd actually imagine that, with a much smaller budget, the movie would've been better with Whitehouse as the lead!
    Paul Bettany is pretty good though!

I'm always amazed how good actors can end up in so many awful films. Do they not read the scripts or is it that hard to tell how bad it will turn out? Not like he's strapped for cash either. Oh, and you went to see The Tourist? :pac:

No, I think no one went to see the Tourist.
    I watched a DL of it and hung in there watching it, as one would watch a train crash.
    Two charismatic actors looking like a pair of planks.

Ah well.

Avengers AoU this week coming.
    That'll make up for it.

Avengers AoU this week coming.
    That'll make up for it.

Been way too long since the last mediocre Marvel film alright :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭CosmicSmash

Thought this looked impressive, Snatcher demo running on Virtual Boy.

Anyone know how to get a start in Dungeons and Dragons?
    I have notion that myself and the young master here might get a kick out of it but have no idea how to get started or if there are any groups in the area.
    I haven't played anything like it in 25 years.
    Any advice would be gratefully received!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

Anyone know how to get a start in Dungeons and Dragons?
    I have notion that myself and the young master here might get a kick out of it but have no idea how to get started or if there are any groups in the area.
    I haven't played anything like it in 25 years.
    Any advice would be gratefully received!
    After all the slagging, could have used Retr0 here for that lol jkjk. Dino should be able to help out afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

Yep. D&D 5th edition just came out so there's probably not a better time to jump aboard.

The starter set is just €20 and that comes with the basic rules, pre-made characters and a rather good campaign. (Also all the dice you need).

The Players Handbook, Monster Manual and Dungeon Masters Guide are all pretty pricey though, but they're absolutely beautiful books.

If you're ever about on a Monday evening you should come along and check out the campaign I'm currently running. I haven't played since I was a teenager but I'm having lots of fun with it. Last week I changed the entire political structure of the hub town based on the actions of the characters.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

How does in compare to 3rd edition. The guys I played with wouldn't touch fourth edition since it was very much dumbed down and kind of first each character to become one of maybe 3 or 4 archetypes. We used to just play games that licensed 3rd edition and built on it like Pathfinder which was absolutely amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭Jack burton

I have Space Crusade, always wanted to give it a good bash but I have nobody to play with haha

Still weary of D&D though...I mean did you see what it did to Tom Hanks

• Advertisement

DinoRex wrote: »
    Yep. D&D 5th edition just came out so there's probably not a better time to jump aboard.

The starter set is just €20 and that comes with the basic rules, pre-made characters and a rather good campaign. (Also all the dice you need).

The Players Handbook, Monster Manual and Dungeon Masters Guide are all pretty pricey though, but they're absolutely beautiful books.

If you're ever about on a Monday evening you should come along and check out the campaign I'm currently running. I haven't played since I was a teenager but I'm having lots of fun with it. Last week I changed the entire political structure of the hub town based on the actions of the characters.

Bear in mind my son has never played D&D and I might as well have never played the game!
    Plus, he's nearly 12, perhaps too young for the group?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    How does in compare to 3rd edition. The guys I played with wouldn't touch fourth edition since it was very much dumbed down and kind of first each character to become one of maybe 3 or 4 archetypes. We used to just play games that licensed 3rd edition and built on it like Pathfinder which was absolutely amazing.

Yeah. 4th Edition looked like they were trying to turn it into a table top board game. 5th seems to have a much better emphasis on story telling. The whole thing is very flexible so the players can do pretty much anything they can think of.
    Bear in mind my son has never played D&D and I might as well have never played the game!
    Plus, he's nearly 12, perhaps too young for the group?

Oh I meant just to pop along yourself some time and see what you think before investing anything into it.

The basic rules are up on the website for free by the way:

https://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/basicrules

DinoRex wrote: »

Oh I meant just to pop along yourself some time and see what you think before investing anything into it.

The basic rules are up on the website for free by the way:

https://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/basicrules

I might just pop along one of these evenings.
    Thanks.

I should mention, yesterday was the 20th anniversary of Father Ted airing its first episode.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

I should mention, yesterday was the 20th anniversary of Father Ted airing its first episode.

That'd be today, Ted!
    http://fatherted.wikia.com/wiki/Good_Luck,_Father_Ted

Star Lord wrote: »

A lot of that was filmed around the corner from where I work, in Portrane. Funland and the post office that Tom didn't have time to fill out the forms for are right there.
    No tunnel of goats though :(

A lot of that was filmed around the corner from where I work, in Portrane. Funland and the post office that Tom didn't have time to fill out the forms for are right there.
    No tunnel of goats though :(

Any spider babies?

Speaking of D&D...

Actually, more appropriate for here, 26 years ago today in Japan, Nintendo launched a little item that they called the "GameBoy"

• Registered Users Posts: 34,431 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Stop making me feel old :(

• Advertisement

My prediction is that in ten years time, not a day will go by without some notable piece of pop culture or technology enjoying a significant anniversary. Western civilisation will grow so consumed with nostalgia and feeling old that it will ultimately consume itself. So it goes.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement