Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Arcade and Retro Chat - Insert Coin -

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

DinoRex wrote: »
    That was Barney's.

They even had a Time Traveler cab at one point. That was the awful laser disc game that displayed holograms.
    I believe most their cabinets went up the north, I was offered a handful of them for €100each at the time but had no space.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,557 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Amalgam,
    That was a long time ago.
    How on earth did you link me and my username to me and my real world person, and over such a distance of time?
    Yup, I used to frequent Barney's on occasion, though I don't remember what I played there, aside from a spot of Tetris.
    I recall using Global Internet Cafe on O'Connell Street, I'd go there on my lunch break from Gamesworld and download Mame and ROMs for it .
    It was gas, the days when you'd be using floppies to load a few games on, then run them in Mame, and it was early days in Mame as well.
    Disk spanning in WinZip!
    Using Genecyst and having to split big games across them, stitching them back together on the stock computer in Gamesworld.
    Being caught playing Virtua Fighter in the back room of the shop on a Megadrive emulator, on said stock computer, by one of the owners of the shop and the guy who distributes Sega!
    Good timrs

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Amalgam,
    That was a long time ago.
    How on earth did you link me and my username to me and my real world person, and over such a distance of time?

If I were reincarnated, I'd be an autistic elephant.. I have a photographic memory for stuff others send to the recycle bin of the mind.. :D

I reckoned you were working close by at the time, as the visits were very, 'lunch break' in nature, turn away and you'd be gone..

I miss Mame not keeping high scores anymore, though I understand why they didn't pursue it. (snapshot saves and not the machine's 'natural behaviour')

Pity about the game, I was tempted to go in and ask, but I doubt any of the original staff are there anymore.

I stopped going to various arcades in Dublin soon after, because the vibes/threat of violence off some of the places was too high, snatch and run, needles and various other nastiness.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

Amalgam wrote: »
    I miss Mame not keeping high scores anymore, though I understand why they didn't pursue it. (snapshot saves and not the machine's 'natural behaviour')
    You can compile it yourself and add in the high score/no nag screen diff
    http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,64298.0.html?PHPSESSID=faovi96cnkbcqalq5m7l6qqqp7

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

I used to do a radio show back in the mid 90s and I'd regularly go around all the arcades in town and interview people about what they were playing. Was good fun, but the owner of the arcade that used to be on Westmoreland Street got super angry with me one time, really felt like he was trying to cover something up and didn't like me in there at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Dinorex, was that 'Playtime'?, I remember there were two branches down on O'Connell Street that were between Mcdonalds and Burger King, I think where the shoe shop is now, you could go downstairs and play Truxton, Gauntlet II, Q-Bert! and various other oldies.

I went to Barney's because they had a nice selection of Pinball Tables, I would walk away from them with a few credits won, White Water (Williams) and Star Wars (Data East) were infamous for their ease of play. The novelty wore off quickly..

The internet cafe myself and CiDeRmAn frequented, was an arcade in the 70s/80s, I remember getting change barely able to reach the counter, from a relative of the person that eventually ran the internet cafe!

I had a thing for vector games at the time, I think they had Star Castle and Gravitar.

Some of the other punters playing at the pool tables were a bit rough, you'd try not to catch their eye and just focus on your own game. I'd have never gone in there as an adult!

The cashier was encased in a thick wire cage, with a table leg or two (*cough*), within easy reach, someone keen on woodworking, no doubt.

Oh god... I wouldn't be too clear on the names of the places as they were all pretty generic titles with the word fun or play in the title. Except for the Hideout on South William St., that was a cool name.

Pretty sure the place beside McDonalds was Funland and may have only changed it's title pretty recently. Played a lot of Golden Axe in there.

The place that is now the Globe internet cafe with the doughnut stand I remember being cool for having the X-men fighting game.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,789 ✭✭✭Jack burton

I never noticed Guiles eyebrows until this

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

I never noticed Guiles eyebrows until this

I haven't checked that YouTube since the Sonic song. So funny, I absolutely love it. Still doesn't beat Sonic though.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Keithgeo = The Woody cab man.
    AKA Optimus Prime now!
    Star Lord = Damo el Diablo (I think it was).
    Star Lord = Damo el Diablo (I think it was) < and I always forget this
    I feel like my old name is becoming like Marty's brother...
    nohead.gif

*checks to make sure my head is still there*

• Advertisement

My new dino obsessed identity is so compelling it has everyone fooled!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Doctor Bob = Luas Dublin, all round sound chap, makes good videos
    Mr Vestek = Talks to Jeri Ryan, knows his Doctor Who, makes quirky but good videos
    Cidey = Buy it/Trade it/Buy it again.
    Atavan = Drink. Late night posting. Miley Cyrus.
    Nerdkiller = Talks about films in the games forum, talks about games in the film forum.
    Readyletsgo (?) = A fellow Sonic lover, but a deluded one :p
    JU = Eloquent posts, insane film knowledge, old man in cinema, Ramen.
    o1s1n (where's he gone?) = Terminator. Downton Abbey. Jeeves.
    Dino = Dinorex (I can still hear it)
    Sparks = Yar.
    Jack = Works in the sex industry.
    Retr0 = Comprehensive gaming industry knowledge, occasional cross dresser.
    Stinkyfinger = Poo and Perspex.
    Keithgeo = CEO of Athy Arcade Ltd.
    Cathal = Fixes things, reprograms things.
    Doge = So meme, such a&r.
    Steve = Lover of all things dual. Ted Dibiase. Bill Gates.
    Last Bandit = Ultimate fixer, is at one with the solder.
    Star Lord = Damo, legend
    Sera = Wife of Retr0

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 15,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

All of you guys = Great bunch of lads including sera.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

DinoRex wrote: »
    My new dino obsessed identity is so compelling it has everyone fooled!

I still think of that particular fever, involving monkeys... :D
    It still makes me laugh :D
    Can't remember if it was your good self that came up with it, or if you were just there at the time!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,995 ✭✭✭Nerdkiller1991

Is he Mr. Vestek now or someone else?

+1 Sera. :)

Or sometimes I associate someone by stuff they've said that sticks with me.

EnterNow = Because I can't pronounce new name. Soldering iron. Vettel lover. ;)
    Atavan = Pokemon.
    Nerdkiller = Writing a thesis about how cack Amazing Spiderman films are.
    Readyletsgo (?) = delusional chap who thinks Sonic is better than Mario 64.
    JU = Film dude, mentally scarred by old-man-in-cinema. Handy at shmups though.
    o1s1n (where's he gone?) = Metal Slug.
    Dino =Fedora wearing burlesque-frequenter. Fukushima cake.
    Sparks = Captain Blackbeard with his 3DS.
    Jack = Wily Wars burger man. Also strips for cash.
    Retr0 = Fubar school-girl outfit.
    Stinkyfinger = Was a candy lover. Now a Pinball addict.
    Keithgeo = The Woody cab man.
    Cathal = Woody Cab man 2 (maybe Keith's bro :D).
    Doge = Can't remember previous name. Wish he'd change his avatar. :D
    Steve = One of something isn't enough.
    Last Bandit = Jamma man.
    Star Lord = Damo el Diablo (I think it was).
    Sera = Limerick.

:o
    Thesis? I could write an entire tome on why both of those movies were bad. I'm more than glad that the series is dead a buried, because even though Marvel will never produce a movie as good as the first two Sam Raimi movies, at least we'll have decent Spidey movies again.
    Myrddin wrote: »
    Doctor Bob = Luas Dublin, all round sound chap, makes good videos
    Mr Vestek = Talks to Jeri Ryan, knows his Doctor Who, makes quirky but good videos
    Atavan = Drink. Late night posting. Miley Cyrus.
    Nerdkiller = Talks about films in the games forum, talks about games in the film forum.
    Readyletsgo (?) = A fellow Sonic lover, but a deluded one :p
    JU = Eloquent posts, insane film knowledge, old man in cinema, Ramen.
    o1s1n (where's he gone?) = Terminator. Downton Abbey. Jeeves.
    Dino = Dinorex (I can still hear it)
    Sparks = Yar.
    Jack = Works in the sex industry.
    Stinkyfinger = Poo and Perspex.
    Keithgeo = CEO of Athy Arcade Ltd.
    Cathal = Fixes things, reprograms things.
    Doge = So meme, such a&r.
    Steve = Lover of all things dual. Ted Dibiase. Bill Gates.
    Last Bandit = Ultimate fixer, is at one with the solder.
    Star Lord = Damo, legend
    Sera = Wife of Retr0
    Oh, so I don't talk about games on the games forum eh? Well then...

So...anyone have a go with the new Monster Hunter?

Naaa. I'm just gonna talk about wrestling here in place of movies.

Star Lord wrote: »
    I still think of that particular fever, involving monkeys... :D
    It still makes me laugh :D
    Can't remember if it was your good self that came up with it, or if you were just there at the time!

It was the first super power that came to my mind. Have that on video somewhere actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

Myrddin wrote: »
    Sera = Wife of Retr0
    All I can think of is
    15ocbwk.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Lol :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 15,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

bikini.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

ugh Adverts....

Currently in the middle of a messy situation with something I bought off of there. Anyone ever have to go to serious lengths to recover monies paid from someone on there? Don't want to clog up the thread with it or anything, so would appreciate PM's on people's experiences like that. It's basically I paid, seller hasn't sent scenario, and has no intention of sending.

Already contacted adverts, don't expect much from them and Paypal process is under way too. Just wondering if anyone ever went further than that with someone there.

• Advertisement

If it was paid with PayPal goods instead of gift then you should be ok with a PayPal claim. Wasn't it retr0 who went to adverts with an issue and they just told him to go to the guards. Only other option would be of you paid with a card via PayPal you could do a chargeback but you have to show the bank proof of the issue with the goods and PayPal may suspend your account for it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,044 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

If you paid with paypal then they will be the best bet to get money back. Try and get adverts to ban the user then but more than likely they will do sweet **** all.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Thanks for the replies folks. Ya I thought Paypal would be my best bet alright, Adverts reply to nothing it seems. Thankfully it was paid with using 'Goods' and it was also charged with credit card through Paypal too so maybe bit of extra protection there as well. Will let Paypal process do its work anyway and hopefully get reimbursed. Will let people know what happens anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭CosmicSmash

• Registered Users Posts: 8,869 ✭✭✭Steve X2

I was wondering who CosmicSmash was. Just seen your "I Killed Monkeykube" title :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,246 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I tend to categorise all of y'all by your level of affinity to DinoRex (the game, not the user). For example:

Ciderman: Anti-DinoRex
    Retr0gamer: Pro-DinoRex
    The user formerly known as Sera: Pro-DinoRex
    DinoRex: Pro-DinoRex
    o1s1n / Andrew76 - I always picture the two of you to be ambivalent, bordering on hostile concerning DinoRex.
    Sparks: Anti-DinoRex
    Myrddin: Street Fighter IV

And so on. If you are not on the list, you have not expressed any strong opinions on DinoRex (or at least I am not familiar with them), and therefore you are nothing to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭CosmicSmash

Steve SI wrote: »
    I was wondering who CosmicSmash was. Just seen your "I Killed Monkeykube" title :)

I only put it up this evening Steve, should have done it when I changed the name really.

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Tomo.Murphy

Always a promising sight when you do your first battery replacement. I changed the battery in the copy of Pokemon Red that I just got. Didn't want to feck up with the copies I've had since childhood, ha.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,995 ✭✭✭Nerdkiller1991

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,781 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Ah i was wondering who Cosmic Smash was too !! Jesus this is getting worse everyday.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement