Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Arcade and Retro Chat - Insert Coin -

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,533 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

BGOllie wrote: »
    ... is it me or ... ?
    Have gamers become an undeserving pile of whiners :D:D ??

Gentlemen, I'm sure you all feel you've valid reasons to complain about something that isn't released yet and that you haven't really experienced, but this is getting ridiculous.
    We live in a time when there hasn't been more amazingly well crafted content available, most of which we get for free or cheaper than it's ever been, and yet we can't help ourselves but complain about insignificant details.
    Or is it the compulsion to always say something negative first about someone else's hard work ?

How about we let the game be released first and then judge the overall experience before resorting to unwarranted negativity

Healthy criticism is needed during the development of a game, sure it's part of the process.

Better that than saying nothing and having them release a turd! :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,860 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

o1s1n wrote: »
    Healthy criticism is needed during the development of a game, sure it's part of the process.

Honestly, even with healthy criticism, take it from your team. **** the fans. They don't know what they want and if you try to appeal to everyone you get triple A dreck. Stick to your vision and let that retr0gamer nerd give out about adobe illustrator art. Sure look at the hullabaloo over how Wind Waker looked.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭megaten

o1s1n wrote: »

By the time you see a game its probably too late to change anything significant.
    That said I don't think consumers have any obligation to give a game the benefit of the doubt.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,860 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Wish a few more publications would show a bit more cynicism to games when it comes to reviewing and coverage. Hard to do that when you've got an industry or poorly paid impressionable young people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭BGOllie

I should say that it's not a personal attack on anybody really. Everyone on this forum is super friendly and it's one of the nicest and drama free forum I've been on ... ... I think I'just had one too many of these "healthy criticisms" on my channel by folks who've never touched an instrument and this kinda sent me over the edge.
    sorry about that lads .

• Advertisement

No need to apologise.

I'm actually seen the same responses on other forums. People giving their reservations about the new SoR and then people giving out to them because they should be happy there's a new SoR. The more measured response is, I'll be happy if it comes out and it's good.

keep in mind I'm actually coming from the Ciderman school of thought on the series. It's never been my cup of tea, but this trailer got me interested in the game

keep in mind I'm actually coming from the Ciderman school of thought on the series. It's never been my cup of tea

:eek: There's another one!

I'm a final fight guy ...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,534 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

keep in mind I'm actually coming from the Ciderman school of thought on the series. It's never been my cup of tea, but this trailer got me interested in the game

tumblr_mh7crr2K6L1rty9b2o1_500.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,957 ✭✭✭Doge

So I suppose Streets Of Rage covers are out of the question then... :(

:D .... I would loooove Golden Axe game done in that style, can we still be friends cydey ?

Doge wrote: »
    So I suppose Streets Of Rage covers are out of the question then... :(

not at all. I've had a chat with Yuzo Koshiro a while back (after the Y's covers) and we talked about it... It's the kind of thing I find interesting to try and pull off on those instrument .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭megaten

I should say that it's not a personal attack on anybody really. Everyone on this forum is super friendly and it's one of the nicest and drama free forum I've been on ... ... I think I'just had one too many of these "healthy criticisms" on my channel by folks who've never touched an instrument and this kinda sent me over the edge.
    sorry about that lads .

I mean you right that in sense that saying giving criticism is an excuse when there just typing their option on the internet. Absolutely no one in the world is interested in unsolicited advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,553 ✭✭✭✭briany

Anyone ever wondered who did the voices on Street Fighter 2? Especially the guy who says things like "Fight!"? I heard somebody suggest it was computer generated, but I know that there was limited voice acting for games of that era because of Dan Forden doing the "Toasty!" sound effect in Mortal Kombat.

briany wrote: »
    Anyone ever wondered who did the voices on Street Fighter 2? Especially the guy who says things like "Fight!"? I heard somebody suggest it was computer generated, but I know that there was limited voice acting for games of that era because of Dan Forden doing the "Toasty!" sound effect in Mortal Kombat.

The original announcer would appear to still be unknown.

They're definitely not computer generated anyway otherwise he would sound a bit like Stephen Hawking.
    They're just recorded voice samples played back at a low bit rate.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,534 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

megaten wrote: »
    I mean you right that in sense that saying giving criticism is an excuse when there just typing their option on the internet. Absolutely no one in the world is interested in unsolicited advice.

But unsolicited advice is the only gig I have!

So with the new Spiderman coming I'm seeing a lot of features about how spiderman 2 the movie was some sort of modern classic.

It's funny because I remember it being a typical bland open world game. A solid 7/10. To be fair to the game the movement was exceptional. Spiderman never felt better. It was just paired with terrible uninspired missions and really annoying random missions that you end up ignoring. Seems opinion changed when yahtzee proclaimed it as one if his favourites.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

The Messenger just came out today. It's really good. Hits that same sweet spot as Shovel Knight, everything you loved about games as a kid but with some modern quality of life improvements so it isn't frustrating as hell.

I have the first two Ninja Gaiden games for the Famicom and just can't get into them.
    It makes me hesitant to buy this one

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I have the first two Ninja Gaiden games for the Famicom and just can't get into them.
    It makes me hesitant to buy this one

It plays more like a good solid platformer. Doesn't have the constantly spawning enemies of Ninja Gaiden. It gets challenging, but never feels insurmountable. I think they have the balance just right. Great boss fights so far. Haven't unlocked the 16 bit stuff yet though.

Ninja Gaiden 1 is a pain in the ass but gets good the more time you put into it but Ninja Gaiden 2, that's a stone cold classic.

As for the Messenger, I've not played it but it looks nothing like Ninja Gaiden save for the main character. Looking forward to giving it a go.

Just had a glass frame for the game frame delivered from Parcel Wizard and it only had one layer of bubble wrap around it sealed in a large envelope with no bubble wrap.

Im surprised it came in one piece.

Just a testament to how well handled their packages are by the staff and my local driver.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,851 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Doge wrote: »
    Just had a glass frame for the game frame delivered from Parcel Wizard and it only had one layer of bubble wrap around it sealed in a large envelope with no bubble wrap.

Im surprised it came in one piece.

Just a testament to how well handled their packages are by the staff and my local driver.

Parcel Wizard are great(well, DPD I guess). I use them for as much as possible.
    Handy thing as well, if you buy something online and they end up using DPD UK or Ireland the parcel automatically becomes trackable in the Parcel Wizard app. I guess they just match up the name and address, very handy indeed.

I think I'll have to give Niall who always delivers my stuff a bottle of something at Christmas as he's great and has quite the trek up the 2 hills to my house :)

• Registered Users Posts: 34,533 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Ninja Gaiden 1 is a pain in the ass but gets good the more time you put into it but Ninja Gaiden 2, that's a stone cold classic.

As for the Messenger, I've not played it but it looks nothing like Ninja Gaiden save for the main character. Looking forward to giving it a go.

I haven't actually played Ninja Garden 2 all that much, but absolutely adore the first game. A good mate had the PAL version Shadow Warriors when we were kids.

He was amazing at it. I didn't realize until years later that the Ninjan Gaiden game people were talking about was the same game.

Actually he'd get really frustrated sometimes though and throw the NES across the room. That console just kept on chuggin' away :D

Ninja Gaiden 2 is basically the first game minus the bull****. And no final boss bug either. **** the developers for leaving that in.

The Messenger is very good so far. I said I'd put it on for 5 minutes and two hours later I'm still here.

Might pick it up on the Switch...

I can't get over how cute and well animated the character in this VR waifu simulator is!

Really shows off the unreal engine lighting also.

At the same time people can be quite Pervy while playing it, I feel conflicted!

• Advertisement

I just discovered the arcade game R-type Leo from one of Steve x2's BerryCade videos for the raspberry Pi.

Unlike other FM Arcade soundtracks from that era that were particularly grating on the ears, this one has much smoother sounds to it, warm pad sounds with a House vibe.

I love finding nice soundtracks like these that I didn't know existed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement