Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Arcade and Retro Chat - Insert Coin -

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,950 ✭✭✭Doge

This is the part I threw in the towel on a couple months back. The inabilty to fast forward time was too much for me. I have to give it another go though, what with everyone getting the remaster

Were you afraid of what might happen when you finally found the sailors? ;)

This young man's pioneering efforts will be imperative for the resistance in their upcoming war against Skynet!

https://www.facebook.com/motherboardtv/videos/536124160155120/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I'm in Edinburgh and the local Game here has Rodea the Sky Soldier for £35, about €40 in proper money.
    It comes with the Wii game, is it worth it?

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I'm in Edinburgh and the local Game here has Rodea the Sky Soldier for £35, about €40 in proper money.

The WiiU version goes for about 25 euro online.

It got 45% on metacritic.

German version here with Wii game for less than 30 quid:

https://www.ebay.ie/itm/142858285937

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,430 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Walked passed a second hand shop today and they had a 9 inch PVM in a flight case in the window :eek:

90 quid though, which is more than it's worth...but still, real 'WTF?!' moment.

IMG_20180821_180701019.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,196 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Been meaning to post this up for a few weeks.

Was in England for a few days at the start of the month and swung by Heart of Gaming in Croydon for a few hours.

Place is really cool, bunch of arcade machines and consoles. It's £10 entry for the whole day and all arcade machines are on freeplay.

Dumped a few pictures that I took in here:

https://imgur.com/a/GymE2kX

They have a few consoles set up in Naomi EX Delux cabs as well as a myriad of different machines.

Definitely recommend checking it out if you're ever in the area.

It's on the way to Gatwick from Central London so if you're ever flying to / from London via Gatwick I definitely recommend getting off the train at Croydon for a few hours to check it out.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

o1s1n wrote: »
    Walked passed a second hand shop today and they had a 9 inch PVM in a flight case in the window :eek:

90 quid though, which is more than it's worth...but still, real 'WTF?!' moment.

Long was from us getting them for €30 each!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

MrVestek wrote: »
    What do you mean?

You get both games as part of the bundle.

Yeah I know, I meant I'll see if I enjoy the second one enough to pick it up for the Dreamcast. I bought the original while window shopping.

Master of the Universe

Long was from us getting them for €30 each!

Hah, remember that! That little monitor is still chugging along nicely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,196 ✭✭✭MrVestek

DaveyDave wrote: »
    Yeah I know, I meant I'll see if I enjoy the second one enough to pick it up for the Dreamcast. I bought the original while window shopping.

Ohh I see what you mean. :)

Heres a Kickstarter for animated pixel art backpacks called Pix that can be controlled from your smart phone:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/pixbackpack/pix-the-first-smart-animative-backpack?ref=91.go2.fund&utm_medium=referral&utm_source=91.go2.fund

iTscys3.png

Theyre pretty expensive at 172 euro, and thats just the initial backers price.

There will probably be cheaper clones of them coming out in the future I would predict.

Thats just awful

Thats just awful

I actually like the idea but I don't like the shape of the bag itself.

Would be cool to have one of these displays on the wall of your games room that you can control from your smart phone instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,717 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Oh its far too hipster poxy for my liking... the use I can think for it is to hack it to display 'kick me' or some such message

Master of the Universe

I hate everyone in that video. :pac:

I would imagine a pi zero and an array of LEDs would.do the same kind of thing

• Registered Users Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Back on the topic of stepdown converters, can't seem to find any that are 100v. All seem to be 110-120v. Saw someone online mention a 10% increase is ok for short term use, could I use a 110v just to test a console? No plans for long term use without a quality solution.

Back on the topic of stepdown converters, can't seem to find any that are 100v. All seem to be 110-120v. Saw someone online mention a 10% increase is ok for short term use, could I use a 110v just to test a console? No plans for long term use without a quality solution.

Id imagine most users here are using the standard 110-120V converters.

The power supplies in Japanese consoles should be able to handle it , the voltage regulators inside will ensure that the current secondary voltage powers the rest of the circuit e.g. 9 or 12 volts.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong though.

I would imagine a pi zero and an array of LEDs would.do the same kind of thing

You're right on the money!

I just discovered this project on the Tested channel with happens to be my favourite channel for VR hardware news and reviews.

Didn't know Jeremy Williams was into this sort of thing.

They look absolutely stunning. Would be better if you could adjust the brightness though.

• Advertisement

Looks like Jeremy launched a successful Kickstarter for these and made his own product called Game Frame.

He was also cool enough to make it open source so you can build your own.

You can buy them from the eBoy site in Germany for €295. I want to have a craic at diying them.

Might have to coax SteveX2 into 3d printing the matrix outline or laser cutting it.

Master of the Universe

I've always used 110v ones with my Japanese consoles.

I've a fancy 500watt Japanese airlink 100v step down to run my two cabs but that's only to be extra safe as they were so expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,848 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Doge wrote: »
    Looks like Jeremy launched a successful Kickstarter for these and made his own product called Game Frame.

He was also cool enough to make it open source so you can build your own.

You can buy them from the eBoy site in Germany for €295. I want to have a craic at diying them.

Might have to coax SteveX2 into 3d printing the matrix outline or laser cutting it.

That's definitely a job for a laser cutter. Once you have the proper material to cut its a 5 min job, whereas your talking a good few hours on a 3D printer.

Steve X2 wrote: »
    That's definitely a job for a laser cutter. Once you have the proper material to cut its a 5 min job, whereas your talking a good few hours on a 3D printer.

Theres a smaller matrix thats 16cm x 16cm.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/16-16-Pixel-WS2812B-LED-Digital-Flexible-Panel-WS2811-Individually-Color-DC5V/1666100743.html?aff_platform=data-feeds&cpt=1535125826938&sk=uvrVJEu&aff_trace_key=545b913f3142425082bb8d34fac0e102-1535125826938-09408-uvrVJEu&terminal_id=d5ddb52721ba490a865c8608a49a7af5

I found a 3d model for the grid for that one and the quote was 15 euro on your website.

I just need to post on their forum and ask exactly whats need, hes cool with people building it themselves so i should be able to make a BOM no problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭Jack burton

o1s1n wrote: »
    I hate everyone in that video. :pac:

Quote of the year right there.

I agree too

Doge wrote: »

I just need to post on their forum and ask exactly whats need, hes cool with people building it themselves so i should be able to make a BOM no problem.

Okay Steve Manage to find a BOM in case you're interested in having a go at one of these yourself (minus the Photon Wifi module and adapter board which is assembled and sold on www.ledseq.com (where the game frame is sold in the states)

https://imgur.com/a/Wp1VR

Theres a few extras in there like an IR receiver, 2 momentary buttons, and a DS1307 module for storing the time.

Has anyone ever come across Famicom game sleeves for loose carts? Something like the ones for the NES games, just shorter.
    I'm looking for a few of them and thought someone would be making them(etsy, ebay etc).

NES sleeve
    s-l300.jpg

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 15,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Steve X2 wrote: »
    Has anyone ever come across Famicom game sleeves for loose carts? Something like the ones for the NES games, just shorter.
    I'm looking for a few of them and thought someone would be making them(etsy, ebay etc).

NES sleeve
    s-l300.jpg

I found these on eBay but I'm not sure if it's quite what you're looking for

I found these on eBay but I'm not sure if it's quite what you're looking for

Thanks, but that's not really what I'm after. I have those sorts of ones for different games, and they're great. But I just want a mini version of the NES sleeve for a few famicom carts. I really thought someone would have made something like that fo an Etsy shop or something.
    The search goes on :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Just talking to one of the lads I know who's a big retro gamer in the pub last night, he was asking me about a new mega drive game, thought it was Paprium by watermelon.

Went on to their site and seen a load of stuff about PayPal locking them out and Paprium being delayed. Anybody know what happened with them?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement