Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Arcade and Retro Chat - Insert Coin -

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭sundodger5

For all the pinballl fans. If in London Brewdog shepherds Bush..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Last time I was there they only had AC/DC and a broken getaway.

Must take another trip over next time im in London. Some serious beer selection. Me and 4 of mates went over for a weekend last time I was in there.......if we ever have a 18+ thread I tell ye what happened after we left the pub that night

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭sundodger5

Now i feel like i missed something. All the machines i played played ok. Flipper strength etc. Some minor bugs on Batman which code be software based. Nothibg to compare it to though. Liked Star Trek although the sound was odd which takes from the fun of it.
    The machines seemed to be supplied by londonpinball.co.uk so with them in business we may see more machines popping up.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Though I'm not normally a fan of commodore 64 brown, this is a sight to behold.

https://twitter.com/BadDogDesigns_/status/1022861619863408640?s=20

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Can't remember if I've asked this already but has anyone here imported a console outside the EU over €150? Just wondering what the customs tariff/rate would be. The website is a ball ache to navigate.

I'm not sure if it's even worth getting stuff from Japan. 23% VAT, possible customs charge and another €10-15 "Admin" fee from AnPost etc.

I've been hit on everything I've gotten from the US and Australia.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭Burzum

DaveyDave wrote: »
    Can't remember if I've asked this already but has anyone here imported a console outside the EU over €150? Just wondering what the customs tariff/rate would be. The website is a ball ache to navigate.

I'm not sure if it's even worth getting stuff from Japan. 23% VAT, possible customs charge and another €10-15 "Admin" fee from AnPost etc.

I've been hit on everything I've gotten from the US and Australia.

It's very hit and miss to be honest, I buy alot from Japan and only get caught 20-30% of the time for vat, I think its luck of the draw that's how I have found it anyways.

If you are still getting it cheaper with vat and postage included than you would have buying over here then ya might aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,950 ✭✭✭Doge

Here's an in-depth review of the Vega+.

The management had the cheek to call the packaging "ethical" in response to all the criticism.

The review is pretty painful to watch!

Jaysus the Dreamcast VMU has feck all memory on it. Had to delete a 20 block Crazy Taxi save because Shenmue needed 80. MSR is 70 odd also. I think the 4x Memory was Japanese only for Phantasy Star Online? Might just pick-up a second VMU if it's possible to run 2.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Jaysus the Dreamcast VMU has feck all memory on it. Had to delete a 20 block Crazy Taxi save because Shenmue needed 80. MSR is 70 odd also. I think the 4x Memory was Japanese only for Phantasy Star Online? Might just pick-up a second VMU if it's possible to run 2.

You can use four, one in each attached controller.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,993 ✭✭✭Nerdkiller1991

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    You can use four, one in each attached controller.
    But there's two slots in each Dreamcast controller. Surely you meant to say 8?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

I've been thinking about the inevitable next gen of consoles and feeling a bit jaded by it. I'm lucky enough to have a PS4, Xbox One and Switch so will probably just stick with them when the new consoles come out and pick up games on the cheap.

Instead of new consoles i have been thinking of building/buying a modestly speeches mini PC that could be put under or beside the TV and use a wireless keyboard, mouse and controller. Instead of using it to play the latest PC games, use it to catch up on all the classic PC games I have missed as I've always always been a console gamer. I'm targeting specs that would allow me play PC games up to about the launch of the PS4/Xbox One (so 2012 or 13) and maybe emulators up to Dolphin.

Be great to grab classic older games from GOG or other sources and add good quality of life and graphical mods to them.

I could go for older parts and build a PC from a certain time but a more modern PC might offer better flexibility.

Any thoughts and has anyone put together a PC solely for the older games?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

But there's two slots in each Dreamcast controller. Surely you meant to say 8?

:eek:

I am sorry...

A fool I have been...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭Inviere

You'd get away with very little really. Something like a Z170, i5 6600, & 8GB of ram would likely see you from ancient dosbox stuff right up to todays stuff (at medium settings for todays stuff). If going this route, buy second hand parts and it shouldn't come in too dear at all. If buying new, go Ryzen, better value for your needs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

PC gaming is so cheap these days I can't imagine going back to consoles.

You still miss out on a certain amount of exclusives but the trend at the moment is a lot of stuff is getting ported to PC. The Japanese ports are still a bit hit and miss but people often mod them to fix problems if they're not too obscure.

You never know though maybe the next gen will be more innovative than the last couple. Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo all know that making quasi PC type consoles isn't very cost effective and a big idea could sell a lot more units than a conservative choice.

So the Dreamcast is randomly restarting on me. Load times seem a bit fecked too. There was a long pause between stages on House of the Dead and it restarted on Shenmue before I saved it. Marvel Vs Capcom was grand though. It doesn't boot to the console menu or throw up any disc errors. Just restarts and boots the game again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,215 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

So the Dreamcast is randomly restarting on me. Load times seem a bit fecked too. There was a long pause between stages on House of the Dead and it restarted on Shenmue before I saved it...

Some simple things to check first;
    - Dreamcasts that I remember have a cooling fan to one side, beside the modem adapter. Is that moving air?
    - Have you opened it up to ensure there isn't any dust etc?
    - Do you have an SDCard type adapter installed in the place of the optical drive? I remember reading that without a plastic case/shroud those adapters, the air flow doesn't pass across the PSU so the system tends to overheat.

So the Dreamcast is randomly restarting on me. Load times seem a bit fecked too. There was a long pause between stages on House of the Dead and it restarted on Shenmue before I saved it. Marvel Vs Capcom was grand though. It doesn't boot to the console menu or throw up any disc errors. Just restarts and boots the game again.

Dodgy burned disks and the load on the laser motor as a result of it not being the format it's designed for means they break quicker.
    That said, this may be more apocryphal than true, it could be simply a moving part doing what moving parts do, wear out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭megaten

Be great to grab classic older games from GOG or other sources and add good quality of life and graphical mods to them.

I could go for older parts and build a PC from a certain time but a more modern PC might offer better flexibility.

They're a large amount of great PC games you can play regardless of whatever kind of specs you have. I know PC gaming can have this notion that its about they highest specs but in practical terms most people probably play PC games on their laptop and the biggest PC games generally have modest spec requirements.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,911 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

The most common source of this issue is the little metal pins that connect the power supply and the laser can get dusty and dirty and shorts out the system. Had this issue a couple times and was literally just a case of taking the top off the system and giving the pins a wee clean. Very easy fix and ran grand afterwards.

I had it open to clean the laser rails so maybe I moved the ribbon out of place. I'll have to crack it open again. I'll check the fan is moving air, clean up any dust and check the connections.

I believe there's a screw missing that holds the laser enclosure down so it seems I wasn't the first to open it, maybe someone adjusted the laser screw? Regarding burned discs causing the laser to crap out, maybe. I've only used utopia myself a few times unsuccessfully to try boot an NTSC disc so who knows if the previous owner was a fan of CD-Rs.

• Advertisement

Just realised the floor in the building I'm working in is packed full of meeting rooms going unused, but all with big screens and HDMI ports.
    Time to bring the Nintendo mini consoles to work!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I have some old arcade games on the PS3 which were updated, just wondering if there are any more.

R-type dimensions is great, you get rtype 1 & 2 and can change to enhanced graphics or switch back to original arcade graphics even midplay.

Final fight can change graphics to simiulate a CRT like those retroarch shaders, or smoothen the graphics. Or you can have an arcade bezel.

Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo : HD Remix can also play original graphics or updated ones.

Are there any others like this?

I was also looking for other simple arcade games or old classic computer games updated with better graphics. These might be clones with different names than the original so harder to search for, the likes of arkanoid, pipemania etc. I have retroarch but just wondering if there is a site which would show similar games easily.

Feck sake. Bidding on some juicy boxed goods on eBay but there's a load of bids going in on them now they're going for strong money. Could probably up my bids a little bit but not much more. Seems like anytime there's a bigger number of bids people jump in and start putting in silly money.

Am I better off just setting a good max bid and leaving it or waiting til the end? I think if I bid again now it gives others time to think about raising it more. They're going to be Christmas presents from the family so I can put in a strong bid but probably going to lose out due to overpriced bids. Not looking for a bargain but don't want to overpay for 4-5 items...

• Registered Users Posts: 34,430 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Never bid before the last 10 seconds of an auction, you're just over inflating the price.

Throw down your max bid at the very end, I usually try 3 seconds if I'm on a good connection. Then let ebay's proxy bidding do the rest for you if someone also throws in a 3 second bid.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,811 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Always be sniping.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,430 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Sure the adrenaline rush is half the fun :D

Anyone know the normal price for a psp go? I'm thinking of another playtrough of persona 3 portable in the near future. I have a psp 1000 but its kind of ****e.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,811 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Hard to believe people used to praise the psp 1000 screen. It ghosts like crazy. 2D games in particular are really bad,

I'd say just go with a Vita!

I already have a vita put the sticks make me nervous of putting it loose in a bag and I was thinking of just getting a cheap psp go so I wouldn't have to worry about it breaking.
    Just after reading psp slims can be charged via USB? I might just get one of those if I can't get a psp go cheap.

• Advertisement

EmuParadise has ceased distributing roms.
    I know theres a million other places to get such files but EP was one of the best in its field:o

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement