Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

anti Islam rally

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭Wurzelbert

Saipanne wrote: »
    Is being anti Islam = anti Muslim?

funny question. a muslim is someone who believes in the religion of islam. so, logically, if you object to or hate islam, you would have to sort of hate or maybe pity every muslim...

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

crazygeryy wrote: »
    The way things are going,it seems that loads of evil and wrong doings can be attributed to the islamic muslim way of life.

Looks like you've an awful lot of catching up to do. Because murder in the name of religion has been happening since the dawn of religion. Fanatics have always manipulated and warped religious teachings to suit their own hate filled agendas. And this phenomena is not and never has been exclusive to those who claim to be Muslims.

There is something far worse than radical Islam. That's Fundamentalist Christianity

though it’s been a while since fundamental christians last killed 100+ children or anything like it...and then the boko haram guys come to mind as well...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Magico Gonzalez

o1s1n wrote: »
    People really need to stop confusing the terms 'racism' and 'xenophobia'.

People should remember the definition of Sectarianism.

Germany doesn't exactly have a reputation for religious tolerance does it now? I should think it's time they got back in their box. They seem to have forgotten the war.

Well, yes, they do in the post war period. They have a reputation for exactly that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭NoMore MrNiceGuy

mackerski wrote: »
    In Ireland or Germany? About as many as in Muslim-inspired ones, in an average year. Back in the day, in NI, it was, of course, much higher.

Whereas many of the problems that actually affect me in this country relate to the position of privilege that a Christian church enjoys.

So whom should I be protesting again?

The northern irish issue wasn't in the most part religious based. It was a matter of colonialism, ethnic supremacism and to a certain extent sectarianism.

Germany doesn't exactly have a reputation for religious tolerance does it now? I should think it's time they got back in their box. They seem to have forgotten the war.

don’t be ridiculous

• Registered Users Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭conorhal

Either that, or the current generation of Germans have shrugged off the collective guilt of previous generations and recognised that Germany's actions in WW2 effectively poisoned the immigration debate and made the questioning of mass migration a verboten subject in Germany and subsequently Europe for a generation, but they are now asking why the sins of the fathers requires them to ruin their country?

• Registered Users Posts: 978 ✭✭✭Palmach

Looks like you've an awful lot of catching up to do. Because murder in the name of religion has been happening since the dawn of religion. Fanatics have always manipulated and warped religious teachings to suit their own hate filled agendas. And this phenomena is not and never has been exclusive to those who claim to be Muslims.

While true it doesn't take away from the fact that Islam has particular problem with fanaticism now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

Wurzelbert wrote: »
    funny question. a muslim is someone who believes in the religion of islam. so, logically, if you object to or hate islam, you would have to sort of hate or maybe pity every muslim...

How do you feel about proponents of communism, capitalism, etc?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,647 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Palmach wrote: »
    While true it doesn't take away from the fact that Islam has particular problem with fanaticism now.

Right now, in the present condition the world is in.

Go back in history and you'll see other religions engaging in such practices. They're all as bad as each other.

The main source of this fanaticism is the political events of the time. At the moment there are huge issues in the middle east. The main religion in the region is Islam - therefore more Muslims are affected, which breeds fanaticism.

Islam does have some pretty abhorrent teachings, but no more than most other major world religions. It literally just does come down to politics.

Saipanne wrote: »
    How do you feel about proponents of communism, capitalism, etc?

well, if you truly hate communism, ardent communists would be unlikely to be your best friends...or at least you would try to convert or “help” them...methinks so anyway...

well, if you truly hate communism, ardent communists would be unlikely to be your best friends...or at least you would try to convert or “help” them...methinks so anyway...

No, I don't agree with you. I have met many Muslims, I visited the mosque in Clonskeagh, very warm welcoming people.

I just think their religion is something I strongly disagree with. I don't hate it or any Muslim.

crazygeryy wrote: »

funny enough, i was asking myself that same question a couple of days ago...and i think i would go down to check it out and see what’s really happening and who the people are and all...media coverage on anything like that is to be taken with more than just a pinch of salt nowadays...

• Registered Users Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

It is all pie in the sky rubbish and yes the problem is that it has more of a hold over 3rd world countries than anywhere else but you won't see Christian extremists flying planes into buildings or blowing themselves up as human bombs on buses. I am a lot more worried about Muslim extremists and the havoc they can cause in first world countries than any Christian ultra faith nut job.

like Blair or Bush

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

The northern irish issue wasn't in the most part religious based. It was a matter of colonialism, ethnic supremacism and to a certain extent sectarianism.

But the strange thing is, when it comes to the north people are somehow able to separate the political and the religious. If a group of protestants attack a catholic family's home we dont start looking for apologies from the protestants in Mayo. If someone said to me I had to apologise for the actions of the IRA or I was supporting them I would think they are a prick and tell them to **** off. Why is it then we need a muslim in mayo to come out and say ISIS or the taliban or wrong?

Islam is like Christianity anyway, there are different groups, the catholics in Ireland are in no way connected to the westboro baptist church or the people telling Africans contraception is bad so AIDs can spread.
    greendom wrote: »
    like Blair or Bush

Didnt Bush claim he was doing god's work or talking to him?

[...]I am a lot more worried about Muslim extremists and the havoc they can cause in first world countries than any Christian ultra faith nut job.

me too

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Throughout history, when a group of people move into a new area it has always had SOME impact on the existing population.

Europeans moving to the Americas.
    Vikings moving into Ireland.
    Moors moving into Spain.
    Romans moving into Germania
    Visigoths moving into the Roman Empire.
    Ottomans moving into Eastern Europe.
    Jews moving into the holy lands.

Now while these examples obviously began as planned hostile takeovers and therefore have no direct correlation to muslim immigration into modern European, the fact remains that ordinary people had to learn to live with their new neighbours and were undoubtedly discommoded from time to time. We now live in an allegedly enlightened age but the fact is we are only ten centuries past the crusades and 7 decades past the jewish holocaust...our fears and instincts are deeply imprinted...we are fairly primitive in many ways. You need to bring people with you, take time to talk with them. The people in that rally are no more all facist than all musilm immigrants are terrorists. Rallys like this are an inevitable consequence of a "new" population moving into an area, I don't even think it's really about terrorism.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

don’t be ridiculous

You think the Holocaust was an example of religious tolerance:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,268 ✭✭✭IsMiseMyself

Being a Muslim and being a terrorist and not mutually inclusive.

• Advertisement

Being a Muslim and being a terrorist and not mutually inclusive.

Mind. Blown.

Throughout history, when a group of people move into a new area it has always had SOME impact on the existing population.

Europeans moving to the Americas.
    Vikings moving into Ireland.
    Moors moving into Spain.
    Romans moving into Germania
    Visigoths moving into the Roman Empire.
    Ottomans moving into Eastern Europe.
    Jews moving into the holy lands.

Now while these examples obviously began as planned hostile takeovers and therefore have no direct correlation to muslim immigration into modern European, the fact remains that ordinary people had to learn to live with their new neighbours and were undoubtedly discommoded from time to time. We now live in an allegedly enlightened age but the fact is we are only ten centuries past the crusades and 7 decades past the jewish holocaust...our fears and instincts are deeply imprinted...we are fairly primitive in many ways. You need to bring people with you, take time to talk with them. The people in that rally are no more all facist than all musilm immigrants are terrorists. Rallys like this are an inevitable consequence of a "new" population moving into an area, I don't even think it's really about terrorism.

true, yet that does not mean immigration has to be accepted by an indigenous population in any way or that it would by default be a good thing somehow...

You think the Holocaust was an example of religious tolerance:confused:

of course not...but maybe you need to stop seeing germany as “nazi germany” - hollywood and discovery channel style - and see the big picture...though i know that is beyond most and requires some serious understanding of history and all...off topic around here anyway...

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Bundy89

Saddens me to see the tabloid mentality taking hold in Ireland. Judging modern Germany by the acts of a dictater 70 years ago, calling for sectarian marches even though we have never had one single hint of a problem with the Irish muslim community.

I would have hoped for better, but it seems we are as prone to tabloid nonsense as the rest.

More people in the UK (we can't even use Ireland as an example as the figure is zero!) have been killed by drunk drivers than Islamic extremists.

Naturally we should be aware the IS or ISIS is horrible brand of Sunni extremism, I wonder how many knee jerkers would even know which countries are Sunni and which are Shia and how the real conflict in the region is a sectarian problem within Islam itself exacerbated by western intervention over the centuries and the chaos left behind in Iraq.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 862 ✭✭✭Grand Moff Tarkin

greendom wrote: »
    like Blair or Bush

I do not think George or Tony promised 72 virgins waiting in the afterlife for anyone will to become a maryter for the cause.

New name for the thread:

Non sequitur, ad nauseam.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭yipeeeee

The simple fact is we're just different.

Culturally, religiously, rights etc.

When people don't understand different they feel threatened.

It's the way of the world unfortunately.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Stones n glasshouses

Wasn't their anti Irish marches in the UK during the 80s because of the actions of a very smally section of the community (IRA)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement