Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

anti Islam rally

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 862 ✭✭✭Grand Moff Tarkin

o1s1n wrote: »
    Ah I see, so it doesn't matter if Christians commit atrocities, only the religion that commits the most atrocities deserves our scorn - gotcha.

Here's a more recent article by the way, October 2014.

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/friendlyatheist/2014/10/15/african-factions-of-muslims-and-christians-commit-horrific-atrocities-father-bernard-tries-to-staunch-the-violence/

Perhaps the issue here is that, you know, we're talking about 3rd world countries countries where people are ill educated and religion tends to fill that hole. Doesn't matter which religion.
    It is all pie in the sky rubbish and yes the problem is that it has more of a hold over 3rd world countries than anywhere else but you won't see Christian extremists flying planes into buildings or blowing themselves up as human bombs on buses. I am a lot more worried about Muslim extremists and the havoc they can cause in first world countries than any Christian ultra faith nut job.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,690 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

A qualified no.
    In that I'd not regard such marches as the proper mechanism, and would instead seek am debate & discussion (without any ideological baggage) on perceived issues by other channels.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

While moderate Islam seems unwilling or unable to deal with fundamentalism within its ranks, that inability to differentiate will grow.

Moderate Islam has been condemning the extremists from the start. Funny how that's always ignored. They're also unable to deal with fundamentalism because they're not connected to the extremists at all. In much the same way as Irish Catholics can't do much about the Westboro Baptists or the extremists African Christian groups mentioned in the links above.

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Vomit

Sure, a huge angry mob shouting and chanting against a minority religious/ethnic group... the world needs more of that..for sure.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 423 ✭✭The Bould Rabbit

Alun wrote: »
    Perhaps all the innocent, hard working Muslims should protest about the violence themselves then, and work harder to rid the extremists of their power and influence, both in Europe and in their own countries.

I wouldn't argue with that. I fully agree.

I think one of the main problems here lies in there not being any singular voice representing all of Islam but a fragmented leadership of differing opinions of where to draw the line in terms of condoning and condemning the actions of IS and others.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,736 ✭✭✭lertsnim

I'd attend an anti Catholicism march

• Registered Users Posts: 41,044 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

lertsnim wrote: »

Maybe join Willie Frazer

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭NoMore MrNiceGuy

Every 12th July a drive away. Bring some drums and a few bunable tricolours and polish flags.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

humanji wrote: »
    Moderate Islam has been condemning the extremists from the start. Funny how that's always ignored.
    Not ignored, but words are cheap.
    They're also unable to deal with fundamentalism because they're not connected to the extremists at all.
    same faith, same places of worship, same community.
    In much the same way as Irish Catholics can't do much about the Westboro Baptists
    Not the same faith, so not compatible.

What else should they do? Because:

same faith,
    No (by your below definition)
    same places of worship,
    No
    same community.
    No

Different denominations of the same faith, just like the various denominations of Islam.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,673 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

same faith, same places of worship, same community.

Yes, all those brown people are all the same and believe the same thing, don't they?

Oh wait

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islamic_schools_and_branches

• Registered Users Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭RollieFingers

What do you call a Muslim with bacon on his head?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

What do you call a Muslim with bacon on his head?

Another shocking example of police brutality against peaceful protestors?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,736 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Maybe join Willie Frazer
    Every 12th July a drive away. Bring some drums and a few bunable tricolours and polish flags.

So being against what the catholic church has done in this country equates somebody to a neanderthal like Willie Frazier or the Orange Order. A slow clap for you boys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

You can't do that you militant atheist. Don't you know you can only be against the Muslims and Jews!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

humanji wrote: »
    What else should they do?

That's for moderate Muslims & their acolytes to decide.

You say moderate Muslims don't profess the same faith, live in the same community & don't worship in the same mosques as extremists?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/terrorism-in-the-uk/10518792/Lee-Rigby-killers-had-links-to-Lewisham-mosque-that-attracts-radicals.html
    The killers of Drummer Lee Rigby are believed to have worshipped at a mosque whose imam was once recorded apparently urging British university students to wage jihad in Palestine.

....The mosque’s imam, Shakeel Begg, was caught on tape by the Sunday Times in 2006 apparently telling Kingston University students to “take some money and go to Palestine and fight, fight the terrorists, fight the Zionists”.

However, its open to the public & used by the Islamic community...
    A senior Whitehall source insisted the centre had a large number of worshippers that were of no concern to the authorities.

the Centre is a public place open to all like any other mosque or place of worship and it does not exclude any member of the public from entering therein.

A spokesman for the mosque said......
    "It is therefore feasible that the individuals may have attended the Centre as they were also likely to have done with many mosques in and around London."

Strange, You say extremists have no contact with moderates?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

the_monkey wrote: »
    Anti Islam IS NOT RACISM !!!!

Islam is not a race!!!

I chuckled. I loved the part where you tried to avoid being regarded as a rotten person by using a technicality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

I don't think you have a point.

Targeting an entire specific group of people based solely on what they believe in due to the actions of a minority who claim to represent them is a truly sad state of affairs.

It may not be racism in the strictest definition of the word but it equally dangerous and disgusting and not something I would be proud to be any part of.

Sorry, but the graphic comes back here.

If I don't like Islam because of what the Quran says, that doesn't mean I hate Muslims.

You really need to think about that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

No.

Governments are trying to make us afraid of things so they can justify further incursions into our rights and freedoms - a march like this would be a gift to them.

Better not to attend because there's nothing inherently 'wrong' with Islam that isn't inherently wrong with other religions and to show the organisers what a ridiculous minority they actually are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

The best thing about Islam is it pushes Christians towards secularism, they don't like the idea of them not being in charge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭mackerski

Why would flags need to be polished?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭Dublin Red Devil

There is something far worse than radical Islam. That's Fundamentalist Christianity

That's for moderate Muslims & their acolytes to decide.
    So you don't know or care. It's someone else's problem. Grand.
    You say moderate Muslims don't profess the same faith, live in the same community & don't worship in the same mosques as extremists?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/terrorism-in-the-uk/10518792/Lee-Rigby-killers-had-links-to-Lewisham-mosque-that-attracts-radicals.html

However, its open to the public & used by the Islamic community...

Strange, You say extremists have no contact with moderates?
    One example? Well that certainly speaks for every Muslim on earth, doesn't it.

You want all moderates to do something about fanatical groups. And when they do the only thing they can, it's not enough for you. You see where the problem lies?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

There is something far worse than radical Islam. That's Fundamentalist Christianity

Opposite sides of the same coin if you ask me.

iDave wrote: »
    Opposite sides of the same coin if you ask me.

Yep. Both are apocalyptic death cults.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭mackerski

DeadHand wrote: »
    How many innocents murdered this year in Christianity inspired acts of terrorism?

In Ireland or Germany? About as many as in Muslim-inspired ones, in an average year. Back in the day, in NI, it was, of course, much higher.

Whereas many of the problems that actually affect me in this country relate to the position of privilege that a Christian church enjoys.

So whom should I be protesting again?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 423 ✭✭The Bould Rabbit

Saipanne wrote: »
    Sorry, but the graphic comes back here.

If I don't like Islam because of what the Quran says, that doesn't mean I hate Muslims.

You really need to think about that.

You keep telling me I've missed the point.

This was the point as expressed by the OP.
    crazygeryy wrote: »

Would you attend one? The way things are going,it seems that loads of evil and wrong doings can be attributed to the islamic muslim way of life.

I responded to that quite adequately I think.

You are the one who keeps confusing the point by bringing race into it.

Race wasn't the point here at all. You're missing the point.

You keep telling me I've missed the point.

This was the point as expressed by the OP.

I responded to that quite adequately I think.

You are the one who keeps confusing the point by bringing race into it.

Race wasn't the point here at all. You're missing the point.

You see, the thing is, after I read the op, I went on to read the rest of the thread. I think that's where you went wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,496 ✭✭✭bb1234567

I would feel like a disgusting human being if i attended one of those rallies. Just try to imagine how german muslims must feel right now, how german muslims with young children attending school must feel. Seeing literally thousands of fellow germans taking time out of their day to voice their hatred for your kind, its so sad that extremists have been able to damage the reputation of millions of muslims in the west when they comprise such a small number of the muslim population.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

Germany doesn't exactly have a reputation for religious tolerance does it now? I should think it's time they got back in their box. They seem to have forgotten the war.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement