Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

anti Islam rally

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

Anti-Islam - no.
    Anti-Islamism - yes.

Waaaaay too technical for AH.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 423 ✭✭The Bould Rabbit

Saipanne wrote: »
    Yeah, its a personal belief. Like believing in communism or capitalism.

Interesting, but I'm not so sure about that.

Capitalism and communism are ideals that people choose, or are forced to live their lives by. There is no compulsion to worship either model.

People of faith however, believe their religion is something that will be with them for all eternity. And worship of a God or Gods is compulsory.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

Is being anti Islam = anti Muslim?

No

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭dirtyden

crazygeryy wrote: »
    http://news.sky.com/story/1396532/anti-islam-rally-attracts-17000-in-germany

Would you attend one? The way things are going,it seems that loads of evil and wrong doings can be attributed to the islamic muslim way of life.
    In certain parts of Manchester it's Muslim only, practically a no go area and in western suburbs of Sydney it's the same.there are talks in certain quarters of Australia about stopping muslim migrants coming into the country.
    Personally i think if you have migrated somewhere you obey their laws or get deported.simple as that.

Which Sydney suburbs and which Manchester suburbs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

Interesting, but I'm not so sure about that.

Capitalism and communism are ideals that people choose, or are forced to live their lives by. There is no compulsion to worship either model.

People of faith however, believe their religion is something that will be with them for all eternity. And worship of a God or Gods is compulsory.

There's your problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

dirtyden wrote: »
    Which Sydney suburbs ?

The "western" ones, like Lakemba

Giddy up

There's your problem.

But I don't have a problem with that.

But I don't have a problem with that.

You should, because it demonstrates that its a choice.

Being anti religious is not racist. To even have to exclaim that is ridiculous, it should be self evident.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

I can't understand why everyone from a Muslim country is branded as conservative and unable to integrate into society. Muslims from Pakistan, turkey and Iran( the people are surprising liberal outside of their own country. Go to Germany or la, usa and they party hard) are pretty liberal.

But it's all about education. There is no issues with Irish living in the UK. As we are no longer seen as terrorist and because we are educated workers. If you were a sheep farmer in Morocco, with no education. Your chances of succeeding in western Europe are very slim. You will use extremist religion to feel comfort and fit in

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 2,152 Mod ✭✭✭✭Oink

Is being anti Islam = anti Muslim?

Sweet suffering jehoshaphat...

*sobs*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,557 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

People really need to stop confusing the terms 'racism' and 'xenophobia'.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,732 ✭✭✭DeadHand

mackerski wrote: »
    I'd prefer to address the bigger problem. Them Christians is everywhere, impacting our way of life so they are. Let's protest against something that's actually there.

How many innocents murdered this year in Christianity inspired acts of terrorism?

Contrast that number with the fact that hardly a week goes by without multiple poor sods being butchered or crippled in the name of Islam, often in some Western state that provided those doing the killing and/or their immediate forebearers an alternative to the hell they oringinated from and accomodated and pandered to them and their primitive beliefs to nonsensical levels on a different planet compared to the treatment of ethnic and religious minorities in their own, failed societies.

Europe is heading for a long, bitter period of bloodshed not between states but between sections of it's own populations.The far right is rising as a reaction to the rapid growth and radicalisation of the Muslim population in Europe. The "rivers of blood" are coming.

I wouldn't personally attend one of these rallies as I know they would attract many unsavoury, idiotic characters. But I do understand the reasoning behind them, namely ordinary people are becoming irate at the constant assaults on Western values by Islamic extremism.

If I am (God forbid) forced to take sides some day whichever side treats women as something between a child and livestock, stones adulterers and hangs homosexuals from cranes... I'll be on the opposite side.

Being anti religious is not racist. To even have to exclaim that is ridiculous, it should be self evident.

I never said it was though. I just don't think you can compare believing in a God to a concept like capitalism or communism.

Belief in one does not equate to belief in another.

There are millions who are forced to live under communist or capitalist models. It doesn't mean they believe in them.

I never said it was though. I just don't think you can compare believing in a God to a concept like capitalism or communism.

Belief in one does not equate to belief in another.

There are millions who are forced to live under communist or capitalist models. It doesn't mean they believe in them.

See the above graphic.

Master of the Universe

DeadHand wrote: »
    How many innocents murdered this year in Christianity inspired acts of terrorism?

It's amazing how big of a void Africa is on the Christian global conscience.

http://thelede.blogs.nytimes.com/2014/02/12/report-details-atrocities-in-central-african-republic/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 862 ✭✭✭Grand Moff Tarkin

o1s1n wrote: »
    It's amazing how big of a void Africa is on the Christian global conscience.

http://thelede.blogs.nytimes.com/2014/02/12/report-details-atrocities-in-central-african-republic/

You had to go back to the start of the year for that one link.

Isis are involved in acts which are worse on a daily bais.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Splendour

Would you attend one?[/QUOTE]

And march against this girl's beliefs? http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-24379018

No I wouldn't. I would attend an anti terrorist march though.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,927 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Its not self evident at all and completely misunderstands racism. To say muslim or islam is not a race therefore being anti islam is not racist is not true at all.

Today almost nobody subscribes to the old traditional idea of there being such a thing as a race. The vast majority of people acknowledge there is one human race.

However racism is very much used to mean open prejudice and hostility and institutional oppression to all members of a group which may not be scientifically defined as a “race” but which has shared group characteristics — often skin colour, but also sometimes other characteristics such as language or religion.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

DeadHand wrote: »
    This is the perfect example of why these types of demonstrations are dangerous. The inability to differentiate between those who are Muslim and those who are extremist terrorists.

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

You had to go back to the start of the year for that one link.

Isis are involved in acts which are worse on a daily bais.

Ah I see, so it doesn't matter if Christians commit atrocities, only the religion that commits the most atrocities deserves our scorn - gotcha.

Here's a more recent article by the way, October 2014.

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/friendlyatheist/2014/10/15/african-factions-of-muslims-and-christians-commit-horrific-atrocities-father-bernard-tries-to-staunch-the-violence/

Perhaps the issue here is that, you know, we're talking about 3rd world countries where people are ill educated and religion tends to fill that hole. Doesn't matter which religion, they all lead to death. Just happens to be Islam in the middle east.

Its not self evident at all and completely misunderstands racism. To say muslim or islam is not a race therefore being anti islam is not racist is not true......

Sorry, but your extreme PC ism scares me. Now you can't be against a belief system without being branded a racist.

What a truly sad state of affairs.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

humanji wrote: »
    The inability to differentiate between those who are Muslim and those who are extremist terrorists.

While moderate Islam seems unwilling or unable to deal with fundamentalism within its ranks, that inability to differentiate will grow.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,432 ✭✭✭✭Alun

So this is my chance to kick up a fuss against the thousands of innocent hard working Muslims who are just as appalled by the atrocities carried out in their name as the rest of us.
    Perhaps all the innocent, hard working Muslims should protest about the violence themselves then, and work harder to rid the extremists of their power and influence, both in Europe and in their own countries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

humanji wrote: »
    This is the perfect example of why these types of demonstrations are dangerous. The inability to differentiate between those who are Muslim and those who are extremist terrorists.

If only all protests could end like the EDL Scarborough protest at the mosque in York last year...BBC report (widely covered elsewhere as well):
    A mosque has been praised for serving tea and biscuits to English Defence League supporters after the far-right group arranged a demonstration there.

About six people turned up to protest at the mosque in Bull Lane, York, on Sunday and were invited inside to play football with worshippers

Master of the Universe

Sorry, but your extreme PC ism scares me. Now you can't be against a belief system without being branded a racist.

It's not PC-ism though, just a complete misunderstanding of the word 'racist'.

You know what word 'racist' is built on? I'll give you a hint, it starts with the letter 'R'...
    (and no, it's not 'religion')

You know what word 'racist' is built on? I'll give you a hint, it starts with the letter 'R'...

Rate?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭W123-80's

Muslim Schmuslim

See the above graphic.

I don't think you have a point.

Targeting an entire specific group of people based solely on what they believe in due to the actions of a minority who claim to represent them is a truly sad state of affairs.

It may not be racism in the strictest definition of the word but it equally dangerous and disgusting and not something I would be proud to be any part of.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,927 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

(and no, it's not 'religion')

Race and there is only one human race

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement