Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GW17 Captain?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭JR6

Giroud away to Liverpool
    RVP or Sanchez :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭sanket

Bony or Austin

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

RVP awat to Villa
    MrMac84 wrote: »
    Risky move... I'd save things like that for the end of the season

Really that big a punt? He's probably the best captain option this week outside of the Man City players he's 6/4 to score any time which is only a small bit bigger than Yaya and he is leading the poll. These weeks with no clear pick are always more interesting trying to find where the points are going to come from! Not convinced on Eriksen for this week but no convinced on anyone right now!

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Karma25

Sanchez away to Liverpool
    Taking a punt on Sterling there will be goals in that game and I think he will atone for his bad game against Utd. Hopefully Brendan keeps playing him up front.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Rooney away to Villa
    Trilla wrote: »
    I know what you're saying, I'm challenging it.

Take RVP for example, who seems to be hitting form.

He scored a hattrick the year they won the league. If he didn't score the previous 3 games before that, would that hypothetical poor form alter your decision making?

Oooh goody, I love a challenge :pac:

That hypothetical poor form against them would show up in his record. I didn't just ask how he performed in one game against them. I asked if anyone knew his record against them.

If he played four games and only scored once against them (even if it was three goals), then yes, I am less likely to captain Van Persie than if you have a player like say Aguero playing Spurs that weekend as he always scores a truckload against them. I'd rate 3 goals in 4 different games against someone over a hat trick in one game.

As I said, different players have good records against particular teams. It may be the way they play, it may be tactics, it may be the opponent's weaknesses, hell, it may even be positive visualisation because they've performed well against that team before, what it is I don't know but there's certainly plenty of evidence of it.

I read a lot of football books and you'll often hear players talk about their favourite opposition and games. Gary Neville vs Liverpool for example. Fergie actually used to tell him to calm it down. Roy Keane about Fergie saying the only team talk they needed vs Tottenham was "lads, its Spurs".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

RVP awat to Villa
    crazy8 wrote: »
    Pozo. Gamble gamble

No...

Gamble gamble gamble gamble gamble gamble gamble gamble gamble gamble gamble gamble gamble gamble gamble gamble gamble gamble gamble gamble gamble gamble gamble gamble gamble gamble gamble gamble gamble gamble gamble gamble gamble gamble gamble gamble gamble...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,746 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

Other
    Just looked in this thread for the first time, can't believe that Yaya is leading the poll, surprised 21% of us even own him, never mind captaining him.

I'm thinking of giving it to Costa (partly because MNF is usually the only peaceful watching I ever get done), Austin is tempting but I'll probably stick with Costa. If I had either Rooney or RVP I'd probably give it to either.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,230 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Yaya or Austin for me right now. Leaning slightly towards Austin. However, I could easily bring in RVP or Downing who are also super choices.

Will decide tomorrow night sometime.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭Deco99

Rooney away to Villa
    Silva anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,271 ✭✭✭✭FHFC

Rooney away to Villa
    Deco99 wrote: »
    Silva anyone?

Don't know where he'll play, how fit he is or who will be up front to score chances created.

Could be great if he ends up being up front, but could be a disaster.

High risk.

• Advertisement

RVP awat to Villa
    Deco99 wrote: »
    Silva anyone?

Looking at him myself. Hopefully playing number 10 type roll. Hard to know what will happen with City goals wise but could pay off.

Rooney away to Villa
    I have to make my captaincy decision by 17.30 tomorrow as the broadband in my house has packed in. Eircom sending a man out to check it but will take 3 working days probably.

At the moment its between Austin or Yaya if I bring him in. I had planned RVP in and captain him but I want to keep my front line of Austin, Bony and Costa.

Rooney away to Villa
    Lemlin wrote: »
    I have to make my captaincy decision by 17.30 tomorrow as the broadband in my house has packed in. Eircom sending a man out to check it but will take 3 working days probably.

At the moment its between Austin or Yaya if I bring him in. I had planned RVP in and captain him but I want to keep my front line of Austin, Bony and Costa.

Who would to go for out of Sanchez and RVP?

I think I'd go Austin over Yaya. City's attack remains an unknown quantity really, and I can see them playing more conservatively and games being lower scoring with such fundamental players missing. 1 or 2 nils.

Austin has scored in each of his last 4 at home. On the other hand WBA have only conceded 7 away.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,083 ✭✭✭Chesty08

RVP awat to Villa
    Curveball captain --- Gael Clichy!!!

City keep a clean sheet he always seems get to get the bonus .. add to that an assist or goal (maybe)?

Really looks like the week to throw out a curveball captain!!!

RVP awat to Villa

Do you not have a phone you can do it on? Probably for the best that way you can't decide to make a captain punt at 11.25am!

Rooney away to Villa
    FHFC wrote: »
    Who would to go for out of Sanchez and RVP?

I think I'd go Austin over Yaya. City's attack remains an unknown quantity really, and I can see them playing more conservatively and games being lower scoring with such fundamental players missing. 1 or 2 nils.

Austin has scored in each of his last 4 at home. On the other hand WBA have only conceded 7 away.

That's my quandry re Austin. WBA are good away from home.

At this moment in time I don't really know what way to go. I could still go Bony to RVP and just captain him but, despite having three of his next four away, Bony is due a big score.

Yaya I feel I have to get in given the amount that have him and are captaing him. At least if I have him and don't captain him I'll get half any potential score.

City may not score alot but you just know that bugger will get the one goal they do score. For a mid, one goal, clean sheet and 3 bonus = 11 points. City could easily get that.
    jimmii wrote: »
    Do you not have a phone you can do it on? Probably for the best that way you can't decide to make a captain punt at 11.25am!

I'm in the middle of nowhere (just the way I like it) so 3G is poor. I'm also out tomorrow night from work and don't trust myself to be up.

Rooney away to Villa
    Chesty08 wrote: »

City keep a clean sheet he always seems get to get the bonus .. add to that an assist or goal (maybe)?

I predict Kolarov will play this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Sterling home to Arsenal

Make sure you pick a strong vc as kolorav could start

• Registered Users Posts: 16,305 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

Rooney away to Villa
    If we could all not bring in or captain Yaya that'd be great :)

Other
    FHFC wrote: »
    I predict Kolarov will play this week.

I'd say it's almost a certainty. I'd imagine city will go back to last years formula which will involve Kolarov playing about 6 out of 10, Clichy may have done well in FPL and picked up bonus points quite frequently but that means nothing in the real world. Kolarov is a better player.

• Advertisement

Torn between Eriksen (just cant face another 2 point), Clichy (might not play), Costa (the 5 point wonder with goal and yellow as per usual when I captain him) or Hazard (away form meh).

Hate the marginal decisions, much easier when it's clear cut Agueroooooooooooo

Rooney away to Villa
    I'd say it's almost a certainty. I'd imagine city will go back to last years formula which will involve Kolarov playing about 6 out of 10, Clichy may have done well in FPL and picked up bonus points quite frequently but that means nothing in the real world. Kolarov is a better player.

I think Pellegrini generally plays them exactly the way he should. Kolarov is the better at attacking so he plays against weaker teams. Clichy is the better defender so he plays against the better teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Sterling home to Arsenal

I can imagine that phone call you made to eircom. You don't understand there are 4 gw's in 10 days you need to get someone to my house ASAP I have to have my broadband it's the most important fantasy football time of the year.

Other
    I think Pellegrini generally plays them exactly the way he should. Kolarov is the better at attacking so he plays against weaker teams. Clichy is the better defender so he plays against the better teams.

Agreed, but 6 times out of ten they play weaker teams:p

I've seen a few people this week talk about transferring Clichy in, I wouldn't think it's a good idea at the moment.

Rooney away to Villa
    I can imagine that phone call you made to eircom. You don't understand there are 4 gw's in 10 days you need to get someone to my house ASAP I have to have my broadband it's the most important fantasy football time of the year.

Problem is it's probably the line from the house to Eircom's line so I'll need to get the digger out :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,083 ✭✭✭Chesty08

RVP awat to Villa
    Agreed, but 6 times out of ten they play weaker teams:p

I've seen a few people this week talk about transferring Clichy in, I wouldn't think it's a good idea at the moment.

As a huge Kolarov FPL fan ..... Clichy is ahead of Kolarov in the pecking order and generally plays more FPL games than Kolarov

I can see both of them playing. Kolarov playing left wing!! (Don't disrupt teh defence when so many attacking options are out)

Other
    As a huge Kolarov FPL fan ..... Clichy is ahead of Kolarov in the pecking order and generally plays more FPL games than Kolarov

I can see both of them playing. Kolarov playing left wing!! (Don't disrupt teh defence when so many attacking options are out)

Sorry mate but I think you might be deluding yourself:P

Pellegrini gave Kolarov far more time last year and I could well be wrong but I can't remember Clichy being injured. Why would they need to play a full back in Midfield, it's Man City, they aren't short of options.

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭langer91

Other
    Easy one for me, giving Sanchez the captaincy. Can see him single-handedly ripping Loserpool apart.

RVP awat to Villa
    langer91 wrote: »
    Easy one for me, giving Sanchez the captaincy. Can see him single-handedly ripping Loserpool apart.

Think I might go to him too seems to just keep racking up the points.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Between RVP and Sanchez for me, it's a toughie

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

Advertisement