Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Open 2015 at Royal County Down

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,876 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

yawnnnn.....

They played it one of the best links in the world and still people are giving out :roll eyes:

Don't think any major negatives about the course in fairness, it was the weather.
    Can we change the weather, no, can we move the event to a time with a better chance of WARMTH most certainly yes

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭dar_cool

In a time when the european tour is pretty weak, spanish open was bad, field in the bmw last week was bad, The Irish open is probably the best event in europe this season bar the british open, Great to see it being played on a good links again, fota and carton just dont showcase what we have to offer.
    Be great to see it being played in a links gem again next year like portmarnock or somewhere like that

• Registered Users Posts: 48,742 ✭✭✭✭Wichita Lineman

Very surprised by the negativity on this thread. I've been to the last 3 Irish Opens and enjoyed each one for different reasons. The players struggled on a tough course in tough conditions but I reckon a lot of them will come again.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Very surprised by the negativity on this thread. I've been to the last 3 Irish Opens and enjoyed each one for different reasons. The players struggled on a tough course in tough conditions but I reckon a lot of them will come again.

I don't see it as negativity. We have an awful lot going for us, with McIlroy able to attract some headline players (boosting ranking points and sponsorship) and great courses. With all that, every effort should be made to maximise it and dates that offer the best chance of decent weather is part of that.

Telling the players to suck it up is all very well but doesn't contribute to the objective of making it a bigger event and (potentially) getting the slot a week before the Open.

I don't suggest we tell the players to suck it up. That's ridiculous. But so is demanding guaranteed good weather in Ireland.

If weather was the criteria then perhaps we should consider doing something really radical - Irish Open July 2016, venue - Miami, Florida!! Then the yanks will play for sure. ;-)

• Advertisement

I don't suggest we tell the players to suck it up. That's ridiculous. But so is demanding guaranteed good weather in Ireland.

If weather was the criteria then perhaps we should consider doing something really radical - Irish Open July 2016, venue - Miami, Florida!! Then the yanks will play for sure. ;-)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,876 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

I think that would be as best as we could manage!

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

There are references to "pansies" and ridiculing the use of handwarmers. Nobody is talking about "guaranteed" good weather - just improving the chances. That would also brings it closer to the Open and if it is on a links, that ticks another box.

The issue here is how to attract more top players - European and otherwise. If you are happy with it as a mid-table European Tour event, play it whenever you want. Someone will turn up.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭leonards

Does RCD have many members? I was up on Sunday and the course looked unplayable for the average golfer... Not sure I'd fancy playing it every weekend....

It was pretty remote so if it does have large number of playing members where do they come from? It's a long drive from Belfast.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Pdoghue

First Up wrote: »
    There are references to "pansies" and ridiculing the use of handwarmers. Nobody is talking about "guaranteed" good weather - just improving the chances. That would also brings it closer to the Open and if it is on a links, that ticks another box.

The issue here is how to attract more top players - European and otherwise. If you are happy with it as a mid-table European Tour event, play it whenever you want. Someone will turn up.

It's a difficult one no doubt. Bringing it closer to the Open and holding it on a links would certainly help.

The nature of pro golf has changed. It's a worldwide tour now effectively and much more player mobility. So there is more travelling alright. A generation ago, the purses on the USPGA tour were higher than they are on the European Tour, as they are now. But the majority of the top European players who were also the top players in the world, played all the big events on the European Tour. There was probably more loyalty to the European Tour then.

Look at the last two weeks in Europe. Stenson, Poulter and Garcia among others didn't play at the PGA. Poulter proferred the excuse that his playing record at Wentworth was poor. Bad form if you ask me from a guy who has made his name from being a Ryder Cup wildcard.

And even this week at the Irish Open, Rory arrived having played the previous 4 weeks. He added the Wells Fargo to his schedule in the middle of that swing. By the end of the first round of the PGA he was complaining about the onset of fatigue. So not surprising that he wasn't at his best at RCD. But you'd kind of like to think that he would arrange his schedule a bit better so as to arrive at his home country's open fresh and not golfed out.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Pdoghue wrote: »
    Poulter proferred the excuse that his playing record at Wentworth was poor. Bad form if you ask me from a guy who has made his name from being a Ryder Cup wildcard.

Actually he's won 2 world golf championships, won 10 other tournaments and made 20 million.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

I was there on the for the Friday and the Saturday and thoroughly enjoyed it. It was a brilliant set up with the food and drink tents out around the 4/6/7/13 holes. The weather wasn't too bad a bit cold on the Saturday but it's what we all play in week in week out so no big deal.

The only criticism I would have is on some holes there was areas roped off that could have been opened up to the spectators, but I suppose they were trying to minimise damage to the course from all the traffic. I will be going next year regardless of where or when it is.

Also was anyone from here there from Meath with there uncle on the Saturday at the 15th hole when Harrington was coming through? Was chatting to a bloke there.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Pdoghue

Actually he's won 2 world golf championships, won 10 other tournaments and made 20 million.

True. But the PGA is the flagship event on the European Tour, which jointly runs the Ryder Cup.

Pdoghue wrote: »
    It's a difficult one no doubt. Bringing it closer to the Open and holding it on a links would certainly help.

The nature of pro golf has changed. It's a worldwide tour now effectively and much more player mobility. So there is more travelling alright. A generation ago, the purses on the USPGA tour were higher than they are on the European Tour, as they are now. But the majority of the top European players who were also the top players in the world, played all the big events on the European Tour. There was probably more loyalty to the European Tour then.

Look at the last two weeks in Europe. Stenson, Poulter and Garcia among others didn't play at the PGA. Poulter proferred the excuse that his playing record at Wentworth was poor. Bad form if you ask me from a guy who has made his name from being a Ryder Cup wildcard.

And even this week at the Irish Open, Rory arrived having played the previous 4 weeks. He added the Wells Fargo to his schedule in the middle of that swing. By the end of the first round of the PGA he was complaining about the onset of fatigue. So not surprising that he wasn't at his best at RCD. But you'd kind of like to think that he would arrange his schedule a bit better so as to arrive at his home country's open fresh and not golfed out.

Rory also had a whole corporate schmooze thing going with high rollers from the US supporting his Foundation. Golf and other events for them all week. Between that and showing hospitality to the likes of Fowler, Els etc., its no wonder his game suffered.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭thewobbler

I reckon if an Irish player or one of the celeb players had have won, then there'd be no complaints from anyone.

Also thinking fhat some people just didn't find the final day interesting enough, not because of the weather, but instead as they had nobody to cheer on or get emotionally involved with.

Each to their own I suppose.

One thing the yanks worked out years ago is that big, flat stadium courses play into the hands of the best players. A double bogey or two doesn't matter as these fellas can knock in 5 eagles and 15 birdies over the week... which the next group of players can only do once in a blue moon.

So much so that they probably secretly hate the U.S. Open and its tendency to reward form rather than class.

Again, each to their own. Personally I love to watch the best players play golf on courses that genuinely penalise them; where bogeys actually matter, where risk and reward is not about a single water hazard but an entire scorecard. It makes them normal again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭hawkelady

Just heard that next years Irish open will be held at the k club...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭aster99

There is also talk of paying Tigers appearance fee to get him there as it will be 10th anniversary of the hosting of Ryder Cup and a big celebration is being planned

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭sydneybound

aster99 wrote: »
    There is also talk of paying Tigers appearance fee to get him there as it will be 10th anniversary of the hosting of Ryder Cup and a big celebration is being planned

I'd prefer if they added that $2 million to the overall prize fund and make it a mega European tour event. We'll have the world no. 1 at the event no matter what plus if Rory is still involved with the Irish open could bring some, not all, of the stars from this year. 10th year anniversary is fitting given the K-Club was such a major European venue before the Ryder cup.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

Where does the Irish Open rank on attendance levels? It always look to be one of the best, half of the European Tour events have no crowd at all.

I'd prefer if they added that $2 million to the overall prize fund and make it a mega European tour event. We'll have the world no. 1 at the event no matter what plus if Rory is still involved with the Irish open could bring some, not all, of the stars from this year. 10th year anniversary is fitting given the K-Club was such a major European venue before the Ryder cup.

Echo that about the prize fund but not sure the K Club adds much to it. It can handle the crowds and logistics but it won't entice anyone looking to prep for the Open, especially if bloody Tiger is getting more than half the pot.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

If Rory plays in Tiger's event in November/December then there will be no appearance fees for Tiger at the K-Club.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭Old diesel

thewobbler wrote: »
    I reckon if an Irish player or one of the celeb players had have won, then there'd be no complaints from anyone.

Also thinking fhat some people just didn't find the final day interesting enough, not because of the weather, but instead as they had nobody to cheer on or get emotionally involved with.

Each to their own I suppose.

One thing the yanks worked out years ago is that big, flat stadium courses play into the hands of the best players. A double bogey or two doesn't matter as these fellas can knock in 5 eagles and 15 birdies over the week... which the next group of players can only do once in a blue moon.

So much so that they probably secretly hate the U.S. Open and its tendency to reward form rather than class.

Again, each to their own. Personally I love to watch the best players play golf on courses that genuinely penalise them; where bogeys actually matter, where risk and reward is not about a single water hazard but an entire scorecard. It makes them normal again.

personally - id love the kind of event where the world no 1 misses the cut but the world no 303 goes on to win it - makes it far more interesting imo.

But people like to see the big names battling it out at the top end of the field.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭Old diesel

I think on TWO consecutive weeks this year - the person at 297 in the world for the week won. One of them was Harrington - but it was either the week before or the week after - the person at 297 won as well.

Oliver Wilson won the Dunhill links last year from something like 725 in the world - and tbh - its great to see something like that happen - what can make a sport - ANY sport - more interesting is for someone you wouldn't expect to see winning actually winning - just the possibility of it is interesting

Old diesel wrote: »
    I think on TWO consecutive weeks this year - the person at 297 in the world for the week won. One of them was Harrington - but it was either the week before or the week after - the person at 297 won as well.

Oliver Wilson won the Dunhill links last year from something like 725 in the world - and tbh - its great to see something like that happen - what can make a sport - ANY sport - more interesting is for someone you wouldn't expect to see winning actually winning - just the possibility of it is interesting

Absolutely agree. I find it more interesting to watch players dealing with the pressure of chasing a career changing win than seeing a multi millionaire try to add yet another title. The final round and play-off on Sunday were really absorbing, even without any of the "big" names.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Bernd Wiesberger would be under the radar for the casual Irish golf fan. Top 50 in the world for a few months now and has jumped upto 37 since his play off defeat on Sunday. Probably still wouldn't has been a big enough winner for some if he'd have won. Delighted for Kjeldsen though, great performance in tough conditions with foundations built on hitting fairways.

HighLine wrote: »
    If Rory plays in Tiger's event in November/December then there will be no appearance fees for Tiger at the K-Club.

I very much doubt that would be the case. Rory turning up for Tiger would be more to do with their respective contracts with Nike than anything personal. Tiger would be under absolutely no pressure or obligation to reciprocate by coming here. He would come for the money - nothing else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

First Up wrote: »
    I very much doubt that would be the case. Rory turning up for Tiger would be more to do with their respective contracts with Nike than anything personal. Tiger would be under absolutely no pressure or obligation to reciprocate by coming here. He would come for the money - nothing else.

Nothing to do with Nike contracts. Rory didn't play Tiger's event last year. There will be no hello money paid if Tiger is to come.

HighLine wrote: »
    Nothing to do with Nike contracts. Rory didn't play Tiger's event last year. There will be no hello money paid if Tiger is to come.

Says who?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,194 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

aster99 wrote: »

Where did you hear this?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,194 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Lads, if you are going to making claims that this lad is getting "X" to appear and that "Y" has it next year, please back them up with factual quotes. We're not going to be responsible for spreading rumours about players / events etc. Thanks.

Advertisement