Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Open 2015 at Royal County Down

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭Old diesel

sky88 wrote: »
    id have to disagree as there's bad weather in america last week for example and its just the luck of the draw with the weather especially in Ireland and Britian

You often see play being suspended in other countries due to rain - so not just an Irish thing.

Especially bearing in mind play HAS been able to continue

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭John Divney

I played this morning in same or worse, it's not even a bad golf day. It's just the course itself is impossible on a good day.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

It all looks stunning on the telly, whatever the weather. Gutted Rory is gone though.

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭John Divney

Why can the Nuacht happen after the 6.01? For f*cks sake

• Registered Users Posts: 17,867 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Sad day when the world number one cannot make the cut in his own country 3 years running.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,876 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Agree, Rory powers through courses but RCD powered him down these last two days.
    I really enjoyed Ricky and Luke's golfing so far.

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

Inspite of his difficult finish today - Harrington is still close to the leader(s)

Was just a shot behind they said on the Telly but that may have changed.

Inspite of his difficult finish today - Harrington is still close to the leader(s)

Was just a shot behind they said on the Telly but that may have changed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Old diesel wrote: »
    You often see play being suspended in other countries due to rain - so not just an Irish thing.

Yes but due to thunderstorms because its so bloody hot - the fans muffled up like its November is the worst part, from the advertising point of view.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,127 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Some round of 66 from Tyrell Hatton, new or joint course record on a tough day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Laughable stuff from RTE today foaming at the mouth over McIllroy. Dont think I ever seen a player at +9 get so much coverage. Embarrassing.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,867 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Gringo180 wrote: »
    Laughable stuff from RTE today foaming at the mouth over McIllroy. Dont think I ever seen a player at +9 get so much coverage. Embarrassing.

Well he's the best player in the world who happens to be from this tiny island, in form, on a course he knows well in an event which his foundation is sponsoring. I think the coverage was to be expected tbh.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Well he's the best player in the world who happens to be from this tiny island, in form, on a course he knows well in an event which his foundation is sponsoring. I think the coverage was to be expected tbh.

It was way over the top to be fair. We Irish love to slate the English when they blow up there own sports stars when we are every bit as bad or even worse :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

sky88 wrote: »
    id have to disagree as there's bad weather in america last week for example and its just the luck of the draw with the weather especially in Ireland and Britian

Ah to be fair this tournament has been blighted by bad weather which is a shame given the sold out crowds for the event. 8 degrees with driving rain and winds is ridiculous weather for late May.

On the positive side the field is pretty stacked tight for the weekend and a good share of the top ranked players have made it through to the weekend.

Fowler and Wood would be my selections to come out top.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭Golfgraffix

I don't think RTE have much control over the coverage, I sm pretty much sure they take the picture feed from European Tour Productions.

J

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,876 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Love to see Donald do it, couple of nice luuuuuuuuukkkkeeeees today

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

I don't think RTE have much control over the coverage, I sm pretty much sure they take the picture feed from European Tour Productions.

J

Yes - it all looks like generic footage being used by a number of channels rather then footage specifically from RTE.

Obviously the bits with Joanne and John Mc Henry are RTE specific - but I get the impression the guys commentating away from that are from a different channel.

Funny thing is - when Harrington was at a hole yesterday - Joanne was doing the commentary at that hole. Not sure if that was deliberate or accidental - just seemed to be the way the picture feed was coming through - at a time when I suspect we were supposed to go to Joanne and John at their table.

Btw - the table looks like its outside - but I take it its indoors - just with LOTS of glass behind Joanne and John.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,895 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Old diesel wrote: »

Btw - the table looks like its outside - but I take it its indoors - just with LOTS of glass behind Joanne and John.

There are a couple of studio huts I overlooking the 9th (i think) green, well covered but with one wall missing if you can picture it.

Just in. Have to say, it's not a great place to be a spectator. The rain and wind weren't as bad as maybe made out on Tele. Generally just came down heavy for a few minutes and then blew off. When it rained though, it got proper freezing cold! Most of the day, the weather was grand. I even got a bit of red face!

Course doesn't really lend itself to following groups around. Great atmosphere though around the place and the town was pretty hopping!

Seve OB wrote: »
    There are a couple of studio huts I overlooking the 9th (i think) green, well covered but with one wall missing if you can picture it.

Just in. Have to say, it's not a great place to be a spectator. The rain and wind weren't as bad as maybe made out on Tele. Generally just came down heavy for a few minutes and then blew off. When it rained though, it got proper freezing cold! Most of the day, the weather was grand. I even got a bit of red face!

Course doesn't really lend itself to following groups around. Great atmosphere though around the place and the town was pretty hopping!

Yup that description of the huts makes sense - thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭OffalyMedic

Managed to get tickets for tomorrow, would love to follow padraig and luke around but have a small feeling 1/2 the spectators will want to do the same!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭Golfgraffix

I have 3 season tickets for the weekend if anyone wants them. 1st come

J

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭benny79

u'd be surprised shauna I followed harro last year for a good bit found once you let him tee off catch his group after about 4 or 5 holes as the crowd dies down a but. make sure you get a time sheet when you go in & the stewards can usually tell you were most groups are so dont be afraid to ask.

Thats my experience of opens but was never at RCD to much on this month sadly.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

J

I'd love two of these am tryingg to get the oh more involved in sports I follow and reckon he'd enjoy it

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,194 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

J

Ahh no way, I was hoping to get one day in but when I didn't have a ticket I made other plans. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭aster99

Was there yesterday, well organised and enjoyable. The showers were very heavy when they came but were quick at least. Some people were destroyed though, thankfully I've been to last 7 Irish Opens now so i've learned to come prepared at this stage in terms of waterproofs, etc.

Again i really enjoyed hanging around the range and practice chipping green. Its a good chance to see the players up close and see just how superbly they can hit the ball. To stand behind their drives and see the flight is amazing

I usually just follow the big names to see them hit a couple shots abd then go follow a couple smaller groups. Same yesterday, the crowd was huge with Rory, Padraig etc so it was an effort trying to follow it and get a good viewing

One player in a smaller grouping who i followed was Matthew Fitzpatrick. Great young player who i expect big things from in the future. Hoping he does well this weekend

For a winner my first pick would be Padraig and if he cant do it would be great to see Luke Donald back to winning ways

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭SevesThreeIron

Funny incident on way out afterwards yesterday. Rory driving down the road in his Range Rover Overfinch when Taxi man comes from nowhere on a side road and pulls out in front. McIlroy swerves and blasts him out of it with the horn and gives a few verbals. Still in the golf gear with a face like thunder. Not a good time to nearly crash into McIlroy in fairness. Taxi man of course looked delighted with himself when he realised who he nearly derailed.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Ricky saying what the fcuk am I doing in this ****house on a deleted twitter post :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭OffalyMedic

Anyone who has been up the last couple of days know a good spot on back 9 to sit and watch groups come through, ie see a drive, iron and putt maybe over two holes etc

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

Ricky saying what the fcuk am I doing in this ****house on a deleted twitter post :(

Where did you get this from?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭kirk buttercup

Is it on the box anywhere today live?

Advertisement