Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Formula 1 2015: General Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

GarIT wrote: »
    With better reliability (which they should have in 2015) Rosberg would have lost by much more than he did. I only expect Hamilton to be further ahead this year. It would take about 10:1 for me to put money on Rosberg.
    Will you give me 9/1 on Rosberg?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,652 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Be interesting to see if the bring back the old livery!

Probably not IMO.
    ^ That'd be cool! But aren't they Marlboro colours?

They sure are :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

christy c wrote: »
    Unless I am forgetting something, was a long year

I wouldn't mind seeing a breakdown of things myself, but 4 wins to 11 & after the final race? Doesn't sound all that equal really.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,035 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Nice V10s, good season for Honda & Button

• Moderators Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

10847488_685253791590750_3000307384352292904_o.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭christy c

Myrddin wrote: »
    I wouldn't mind seeing a breakdown of things myself, but 4 wins to 11 & after the final race? Doesn't sound all that equal really.

I'm not sure what point you're making, I was replying to someone who said the margin would be bigger if they had better reliability

Edit: what I remember is Rosberg had 3 retirements- Britain, Singapore and UAE was as good as a retirement.

Hamilton had three also, Australia, Canada and Spa. But he also had brake failure in Germany qualifing and the fire in Hungary. So I think with the extra 25 points in Abu Dhabi versus zero for Rosberg, it balanced out and the final margin was fair and reliability wouldn't make much difference

• Registered Users Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭greedygoblin

OSI wrote: »
    I've grown rather fond of the silver, black and red. Was a shame to lose the red this year. All depends on who their main sponsor is going to be next year I reckon.

I'd imagine Santander are a contender. Wherever Fernando goes they are bound to follow.

christy c wrote: »
    I'm not sure what point you're making, I was replying to someone who said the margin would be bigger if they had better reliability

Edit: what I remember is Rosberg had 3 retirements- Britain, Singapore and UAE was as good as a retirement.

Hamilton had three also, Australia, Canada and Spa. But he also had brake failure in Germany qualifing and the fire in Hungary. So I think with the extra 25 points in Abu Dhabi versus zero for Rosberg, it balanced out and the final margin was fair and reliability wouldn't make much difference
    Rosberg had the brake failure in Canada as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭Gillespy

His brakes were fine I think, Hamilton lost his brakes, he was down 160hp though with no electric power. Similar to what happened to him in Abu Dhabi I guess. At any rate, it was a stroke of luck he gathered 18 points that day.

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭MortGoldman

Hamilton's mechanical problems happened more in qualifying, Rosberg's during the race.

This is said off the top of my head and without looking through season data, but in general, I think this is roughly accurate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,087 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

Myrddin wrote: »

Rosberg won 5 races just FYI.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭christy c

Hamilton's mechanical problems happened more in qualifying, Rosberg's during the race.

This is said off the top of my head and without looking through season data, but in general, I think this is roughly accurate.

Three each in races,Hamilton had 2 issues in qualifying V's zero for Rosberg.

But Hamilton also had problems of his own making in qualifing, spinning on Austria and not going for the final timed lap in Britain

Rosberg won 5 races just FYI.

Yep, apologies, he did indeed. I maintain that pound for pound, & removing reliability out of the equation, there's a big gap between the pair. Nico's pole to win conversion rate was pretty dire, he was beaten wheel to wheel in every encounter with Lewis (Spa aside, but taking your opponent out doesn't count), & to win only five races of 19 in that car is not great when being compared to Lewis' 11 wins. It say a lot.

On the flip side, I thought his post race interview & conduct in Abu Dhabi were flawless, & I really warmed to him when I seen him go to the podium room to chat with Lewis, & he had such high praise for Lewis during his interview; something not at all easy when you've just lost a championship. It showed great character. I think he had a hard time of it during the year, & will come out the better for it.

F1 team boses vote Lewis Hamilton best driver of 2014. Article here.

:cool::cool::cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Cant wait to see the new McLaren car, strange that magnussen agreed to be back up driver, I wouldn't be surprised to see him step in at some point during the year, hopefully Button drives for every race. Surprised he was kept on, the interviews made it sound like even he thought his time was up! Hope he outperforms Alonso next year now :P

https://twitter.com/MercedesAMGF1/status/544269059408535552
    I'm surprised he won by such a margin or won at all for that matter. Well deserved and it's also good for the sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭cadaliac

OSI wrote: »
    I'm surprised Rory "what country do I represent again?" McIlroy got as many votes as he did to be honest.

With his victory at the Open Championship in July, McIlroy became the first European to win three different majors, and joined Jack Nicklaus and Tiger Woods as one of three to win three majors by the age of 25. Three weeks later, he won his second PGA Championship for his fourth major title.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,490 ✭✭✭Killinator

Check out @ScuderiaFerrari's Tweet: https://twitter.com/ScuderiaFerrari/status/544505102124724224?s=09

Esteban Gutierrez joins Ferrari as test/reserve driver

It's a public vote so no one was robbed.

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    He was robbed, he should have won by a long way. Sure Lewis did well but a one armed blind clown could have won the WDC in that car.

Not a ringing endorsement of Rosberg really :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

Gillespy wrote: »
    It's a public vote so no one was robbed.

Yeah... just a lot of stupid people voting.:D

HighLine wrote: »
    Yeah... just a lot of stupid people voting.:D
    Instead of being butthurt about it today, the golfers should have voted then. Their reaction isn't making them look too bright. Belittling his achievements and the sport itself.

They gave McIlroy the best chance by putting him on last and milking the Ryder Cup for all its worth in the interval. He was closer to third than winning it. Hamilton's popularity isn't in question.

From seeing your posts on here, It's fairly obvious that nothing I could say will convince you that Lewis shouldn't have won. As a massive fan of both sports for over 20 years, I can tell you, Rory was robbed. His achievements this year far outweigh what Lewis has achieved in beating 1 other driver.

Good article here by James Corrigan http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/sports-personality-of-the-year/11294032/Sports-Personality-Rory-McIlroy-snub-is-a-travesty-he-should-not-bother-turning-up-again.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

McIlroy won about 2-3 events of significance, Hamilton won 11 and a World Championship. Hamilton clearly deserved SPOTY

• Registered Users Posts: 3,710 ✭✭✭Joeseph Balls

I wonder would McIlroy got more votes if he hadn't declared himself for Team Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭wobbles

Rorys achievements were done in a different country, away from the casual viewers. F1 has been all over TV this year. Had Rorys acheivements happened in England he woud have won hands down. But it happened away from the causal TV viewer majority had no idea about what he did (me incuded)

Did Rory deserve to win it? No. Sure he had a good year, but its quite clear the British public thought Hamilton had a better one

HighLine wrote: »

Such a spiteful article. A real fan of both sports wouldn't consider that a good article. It's so ignorant of how F1 works and what it takes for what both Hamilton and Mercedes have done.

Gillespy wrote: »
    Such a spiteful article. A real fan of both sports wouldn't consider that a good article. It's so ignorant of how F1 works and what it takes for what both Hamilton and Mercedes have done.

Didn't consider that you would ever take your Lewis blinkers off for this after seeing most of your posts throughout the season. Again... when you have watched every F1 race of the season along with every PGA Tour event, come back to me when you're in a good position to judge. Lewis beating one other driver in an all dominating car doesn't compare with Rory's year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    He was robbed, he should have won by a long way. Sure Lewis did well but a one armed blind clown could have won the WDC in that car.
    Fast cars and pit girls will always trump pink golf jumpers and a bag of balls.

Advertisement