Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

August 2015 Babies Club

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Ms Tootsie

Hi guys, firstly congrats to everyone:-) I've been hovering over the thread for a few weeks now and ready to join you!
    We got bfp a few weeks ago- was so nervous after missed miscarriage in the summer so booked a private early scan for yesterday. Am so relieved as we heard strong heartbeat and good measurements!
    Due 19 August and so excited- not sure I'll last till 12 weeks to announce though. Here's to a happy and healthy few months ahead!

Congratulations!

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Dobbit

Congrats channelcarrie!!

Ladies, I'm so annoyed today. I wasn't drinking at a family do and one of my aunts cornered me and asked me outright if I am pregnant. I denied it because it's still too early but I'm annoyed with her for even asking. She's had two kids so she really should know better than to ask. If I am ready to tell her I'll tell her :( I've had such an easy time the past few weeks symptoms wise it's made me worry if everything is ok (I know I shouldn't really be complaining about that...) and her asking just makes me even more anxious, also I hate lying to her because generally we are quite close.

I think I'm going to cancel going to anything else between now and my scan in 2 weeks to avoid any more awkward questions or whispers.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭chakademus

Hi guys, firstly congrats to everyone:-) I've been hovering over the thread for a few weeks now and ready to join you!
    We got bfp a few weeks ago- was so nervous after missed miscarriage in the summer so booked a private early scan for yesterday. Am so relieved as we heard strong heartbeat and good measurements!
    Due 19 August and so excited- not sure I'll last till 12 weeks to announce though. Here's to a happy and healthy few months ahead!

Channelcarrie, huge congratulations!! We also have the exact same due date.:):)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭VandC

Going to show my dumbness here.... :-)

what's bfp?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭spottybananas

VandC wrote: »

what's bfp?

Big Fat Positive - Positive pregnancy test.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭cb7

Did anyone get dates yet for scans?

cb7 wrote: »
    Did anyone get dates yet for scans?

I got mine. I'm due at the very end of August but I got a scan for the day I hit the 12 week mark. Seems ages away.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 channelcarrie

chakademus that's fantastic, congrats too! Hopefully the time until August will fly by!
    Have the first official scan on 2nd Feb- its just shy of 12 weeks but booked and had a private scan last Tuesday- couldn't wait!

anybody using any good apps?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭heldel00

VandC wrote: »

what's bfp?

Oh god thank god you asked. I've been wondering that but was afraid to ask!

• Advertisement

heldel00 wrote:
    Oh god thank god you asked. I've been wondering that but was afraid to ask!

lol :-D I had to! would do my head in not knowing, and besides there's never a silly question...and if there is I'm used to making a show of myself ha ha :-D

If you google pregnancy/ttc abbreviations you'll probably get a list of them, abbreviations aren't generally allowed on boards but some sneak in :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 mylittlebean

Hi channelcarrie, I'm due the 16th and am also thinking of getting an early scan done myself as my hospital scan is not til the middle of February. I'm just wondering was it a vaginal scan or an abdominal scan you had??

• Registered Users Posts: 34 channelcarrie

Hi channelcarrie, I'm due the 16th and am also thinking of getting an early scan done myself as my hospital scan is not til the middle of February. I'm just wondering was it a vaginal scan or an abdominal scan you had??

Hey mylittlebean, congratulations:-) I was told that the chances of hearing anything by abdominal scan was low so to expect a vaginal and even then there was a good chance of not hearing heartbeat (as was getting scan before 7 weeks). Was glad though as they were able to hear strong heart and get measurements by abdominal! When booking the scan I made sure they had the facilities to do vaginal if need be. It definitely put my mind at ease:-)
    Otherwise if you called the hospital you're with and ask for an earlier date, they might be able to help.
    I know for me I couldn't hack waiting for the first scan though- can be nervewrecking!

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭chakademus

Ladies, hoping you can clear something up for me. I got a letter for my first antenatal appointment for the 12 week mark but just assumed that visit didn't include a scan and just a general medical exam and a detailed history. Anyone know if thats the case? p.s I'm going public not private.

chakademus wrote: »
    Ladies, hoping you can clear something up for me. I got a letter for my first antenatal appointment for the 12 week mark but just assumed that visit didn't include a scan and just a general medical exam and a detailed history. Anyone know if thats the case? p.s I'm going public not private.

12 week booking appt includes history, bloodwork, scan and weight/height check. It'd have to include a scan or else they couldnt confirm viability and position (ie not ectopic etc).

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭WittyName1

chakademus wrote: »

My 12 week booking appointment didn't include a scan. A separate letter was sent with a separate appointment for my 12 week scan. It turns out they both happened on the same day but my midwife booking appointment was at 9am while my scan was at 4pm. Two separate appointments with a separate appointment letter sent for each.
    I think it's different in each hospital.

I am with the Coombe and I got one appointment letter for the booking appointment but the scan is right after it. So my booking appointment is at 9 and my scan is at 10. If it's unclear just call the appointments office at your hospital and they will be able to clear up any confusion over times, that's what I did :) I am new to this so I find it all a bit confusing

• Registered Users Posts: 35 clara98

I think it depends on what hospital you are attending. My booking in letter didn't explain anything that was going to happen however when i attended a scan was part of it. I'm attending WUH. I would assume most hospitals would so that they can give you an estimated due date.

Yeah my letter didn't explain it either, only found out what happens when I got there, I just knew there was a scan and much peeing in containers :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

Actually probably not a bad idea to bring a sample with you, I could barely produce a dribble, I was mortified!

Actually probably not a bad idea to bring a sample with you, I could barely produce a dribble, I was mortified!

I brought one like a good organised girl (and was advised/warned to bring one for every appt) and had to give another anyway for strep b testing, which I wasn't aware of until asked. So I was told to have a full bladder for the scan, but then was asked for a sample an hour into my 3 hour wait for the scan, not sure their planning is the best....

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

Just under 10 weeks in and my jeans are already starting to feel a bit tight - and not just on my stomach. Anyone have any good tips on maternity clothes for the office?

I'm dreading going back to work tomorrow.

Macha wrote: »
    Just under 10 weeks in and my jeans are already starting to feel a bit tight - and not just on my stomach. Anyone have any good tips on maternity clothes for the office?

I'm dreading going back to work tomorrow.

I bought a few flowy type tops that are forgiving on the stomach to hide the bump for a couple more weeks. Zara and HM had some good stuff for cheap in the sales. Also layering helps too.

I'm back in today and it's horrid. Friday week I finally have my scan and we can start breaking the news to everyone. Can't come quick enough.

Dobbit wrote: »

I'm back in today and it's horrid. Friday week I finally have my scan and we can start breaking the news to everyone. Can't come quick enough.

Oh it will be great to finally start being able to tell everyone. You must be so excited Dobbit?

I have a question ladies, when do you have to tell work? I will be seven weeks tomorrow and I was hoping to hold off for a good bit but then what happens when I need time off for my scan?

Ms Tootsie wrote: »
    Oh it will be great to finally start being able to tell everyone. You must be so excited Dobbit?

I have a question ladies, when do you have to tell work? I will be seven weeks tomorrow and I was hoping to hold off for a good bit but then what happens when I need time off for my scan?

I am BURSTING to tell people! I told my dentist this morning, he didn't seem bothered, lol.

A bit nervous for the scan itself though, just hope all is well in there!

According to Citizens Information you only have to legally give 4 weeks notice before you take your maternity leave! You don't have to tell work anything at all until you're ready. For my scan next week I just told them I have a hospital appointment, which is true, it's none of their business why I'm at the hospital. My manager is lovely though, he was just like "yeah grand, take as much time as you need". I'm only going to tell work after my 12 weeks are up.

Thanks for the advice Dobbit! I think I will do that :)

I told a random pharmacist in a chemist about 3 hours from where I live. She said congratulations lol. I had to get bands for my 'morning' sickness. Felt really weird saying it out loud.

Ms Tootsie wrote: »
    Thanks for the advice Dobbit! I think I will do that :)

I told a random pharmacist in a chemist about 3 hours from where I live. She said congratulations lol. I had to get bands for my 'morning' sickness. Felt really weird saying it out loud.

I got those too! Absolute lifesavers.

That was nice of her. About a year ago I went into a chemist to buy a pregnancy test. I had just started a new job so it wouldn't have been the best time in the world but welcome none the less. The chemist said to me "what result are you hoping for?". Such a weird question to ask of someone you don't know!

The bands have been a god send! They dont clear up the nausea completely but they really take the edge off. I really struggled when it hit me.

Em ok that is such a weird and inappropriate question to ask someone - especially a complete stranger!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭irishgirl19

Hi guys jumping over from the due September thread since I found out at an early pregnancy scan that I am actually 8 weeks (which is very welcome news!)
    I am due 15th of August. How's everyone. I dont have any symptoms at all. No sore boobs or nothing.
    Is there anyone else like me?

Advertisement