Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

August 2015 Babies Club

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

There isn't much difference between the Dublin hospitals really. I'd go with wherever is closest to your home or workplace. I work up the road from the Rotunda so it was a no-brainer, especially towards the end when you're a lot heavier on your feet and the appointments become very frequent!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 339 ✭✭Allirog

I factored in a few things, both my sister had their babies in the coombe. And I've been attending there for smear tests and colposcopies. But the main reason for me was I knew my oh would find it no problem and my mam can drive there whereas if I was to go to the rotunda or holles St she wouldn't know how to get there so that's where my decision came from. Best of luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Ms Tootsie

I am going with the Coombe. It is handy to get to from work and home and a few of my friends have had babies in there and had no complaints. These are the only things that put it above other hospitals in Dublin when it came to making my choice.

Just on that, do we submit the forms to the Coombe or is it done by a GP? I posted them myself but I was on the website this morning and reading about their Maternity and Infant Care Scheme and it said to fill out these forms with your GP. At my GP app last week she didn't mention these forms at all, just told me to get my registration forms into the Coombe asap. Are they different things?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 mylittlebean

Hi Ladies. I've just joined I'm 6 weeks pregnant and due the 16th of August. How are ye all feeling? The only symptoms I have is sore boobs and can be a bit moody somedays that's it so far. I've been to gp and got my bloods done and had a retest of hcg done Friday so hopefully should have results of that tomorrow. So fingers crossed all is going ok x

Good luck with the blood results today MLB

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Dobbit

Morning ladies! I'm finally finished in the office for this year! Two weeks of getting slowly fatter! :D

Tomorrow we tell my sister and in-laws. Both excited and dreading it at the same time.. Sis will be grand, excited but down to earth. In-Laws however... This is a long awaited first grandchild so I wouldn't be surprised if there are tears and I am very bad at that, I'll probably do something inappropriate like laugh or roll my eyes. Getting them to keep the secret for 3.5 more weeks will also be tough, sly winks if someone asks why I'm not drinking also count so that will have to be made clear..

Dobbit wrote: »

Tomorrow we tell my sister and in-laws. Both excited and dreading it at the same time.. Sis will be grand, excited but down to earth. In-Laws however... This is a long awaited first grandchild so I wouldn't be surprised if there are tears and I am very bad at that, I'll probably do something inappropriate like laugh or roll my eyes. Getting them to keep the secret for 3.5 more weeks will also be tough, sly winks if someone asks why I'm not drinking also count so that will have to be made clear..

We are going to tell our parents over Christmas even though it is really early. If something happened we would tell them anyway. Thankfully all four are excellent at keeping secrets. Phew!

Haha it will be hard not roll your eyes or laugh! I am the same I never know what to do when people start crying around me. It's like I suddenly become socially inept. I hope they manage to keep it a secret for you guys though, sly winks are never really as sly as people think they are :D

Ms Tootsie wrote: »
    We are going to tell our parents over Christmas even though it is really early. If something happened we would tell them anyway. Thankfully all four are excellent at keeping secrets. Phew!

Haha try not to roll your eyes, although I am the same I never know what to do when people start crying around me. It's like I suddenly become socially inept. I hope they manage to keep it a secret for you guys though, sly winks are never really as sly as people think they are :D

Yeah we told my parents straight away for the same reason and because they can keep a secret!

I'm glad it's not just me, I never know what to do. My in-laws are much more emotional then my family so I'm still just not used to it.

So glad to hear other people told parents early. We were really debating about it and then we figured it would be amazing to tell them at Christmas and the reality is I would want their support if something did happen. So we picked up little chocolates to give each of them that spell out Granny and Granda and we will have them wrapped. It is the first grandchild on my parents side so I know they will be really excited.

It's funny how some families can be totally different, as you say the in-laws are a bit OTT with the whole emotion thing. Try and do it before the effects of the mulled wine set it - I can imagine that would only make it even worse :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭autumnbelle

Just brilliant news to have at Christmas time :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 bibiche

Morning sickness has just set in this week, and i just hope i can make it through dinner later today without making it too obvious that i can't eat much - otherwise the cat will be out of the bag..

Hope you all have a wonderful Christmas!

Happy Christmas everyone! Hope you all are happy a lovely day.
    bibiche wrote: »
    Morning sickness has just set in this week, and i just hope i can make it through dinner later today without making it too obvious that i can't eat much - otherwise the cat will be out of the bag..

Hope you all have a wonderful Christmas!

Oh you poor thing! I hope you were able to manage something. I haven't has any sickness yet so I made sure to enjoy everything today while I can. Probably a bit too much if I am honest! eep!

Hope everyone had a nice Christmas! I think my granny saw right through me when I told her I wasn't drinking because I'm on antibiotics, oh well.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭cowlove

I have dinner with friends Monday night. I dont know how I am going to get around the no drinking thing. I feel like they are going to see right through me. I'm thinking of telling them I drank too much over xmas and am on a detox ðŸ˜

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

cowlove wrote: »
    I have dinner with friends Monday night. I dont know how I am going to get around the no drinking thing. I feel like they are going to see right through me. I'm thinking of telling them I drank too much over xmas and am on a detox ðŸ˜
    Anyone else had any worrying symptoms like spotting? I'm going to see my gynaecologist about it tomorrow. Fingers crossed everything is OK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭greenorchard

Macha wrote: »
    Anyone else had any worrying symptoms like spotting? I'm going to see my gynaecologist about it tomorrow. Fingers crossed everything is OK.

Popping in from the July thread. I had spotting pretty much every day for around 2 weeks between about weeks 6 & 8. I got it checked out & everything was fine. What colour is your spotting? Mine was always brown, they told me to come in again if it was ever bright red but brown spotting can sometimes just happen & doesn't necessarily mean anything is wrong unless it's accompanied by bad cramps.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

Popping in from the July thread. I had spotting pretty much every day for around 2 weeks between about weeks 6 & 8. I got it checked out & everything was fine. What colour is your spotting? Mine was always brown, they told me to come in again if it was ever bright red but brown spotting can sometimes just happen & doesn't necessarily mean anything is wrong unless it's accompanied by bad cramps.

Oh thank you so much for that info. It's a light brown, sometimes pink. Never bright red. I do get a few mild cramps and twinges but I'm also aware I'm a bit of a worrier so I'm trying not to go running to Google time I feel something. The stress though is getting to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭greenorchard

Oh thank you so much for that info. It's a light brown, sometimes pink. Never bright red. I do get a few mild cramps and twinges but I'm also aware I'm a bit of a worrier so I'm trying not to go running to Google time I feel something. The stress though is getting to me.

Sounds exactly like what I had. It's hard not to worry when it happens, I feared the worst when it started but the doctor told me it's very common & not to worry unless it became bright red. I'd still get checked out tomorrow if only for peace of mind but hopefully everything's just fine :)

Macha I had some very light spotting at the start of week 5. It was also brown rather than red and I would have described it as brown tinged discharge (sorry for the tmi) that main appeared when I wiped. I was reassured by my doc that it is much more common that people think and to not worry unless it is bright red. It disappeared after 2 days. I haven't had any since.

Thanks greenorchard Ms Tootsie, that's a great help. I'll be more relaxed this fine tomorrow after my appointment but I think I'll be on edge until I get to the 12 week mark!

Best to stay away from the Internet apart from this reassuring forum as I'll be a nervous wreck if I don't stop googling symptoms.

• Advertisement

but I think I'll be on edge until I get to the 12 week mark!

Right with you Macha, until a professional shows me a picture and says "look, a healthy fetus!" I won't be able to sit still.

Just passed the 9 week mark over the weekend and I'm bursting out of my clothes already with tummy bloat. Going shopping tomorrow for some "hide the bump" clothes.

Well, I had my check up yesterday and everything is fine, although I'm actually 4 weeks further along than I thought so the new due date is 1 August! It must have been implantation bleeding when I thought it was my period - I normally have very light periods, hence the confusion.

I'll never roll me eyes again at those reality TV shows where women don't know they're pregnant until they're almost due.

Well, I had my check up yesterday and everything is fine, although I'm actually 4 weeks further along than I thought so the new due date is 1 August! It must have been implantation bleeding when I thought it was my period - I normally have very light periods, hence the confusion.

I'll never roll me eyes again at those reality TV shows where women don't know they're pregnant until they're almost due.

wow macha great news! Delighted to hear that everything is going good for bubs.

Woo! 12 weeks is not far off! Glad to hear all is well :)

haha I've made that remark too "How could those women not know they were pregnant! Liars!"

Booked in for an early scan today girls, makes it all seem very real! I will be just over eight weeks then. Also thinking of going for a nuchal scan due to my family history. Is anyone else going for this?

Ms Tootsie wrote: »
    Booked in for an early scan today girls, makes it all seem very real! I will be just over eight weeks then. Also thinking of going for a nuchal scan due to my family history. Is anyone else going for this?

Yup, we have one booked for 2 weeks from now.

Yup, we have one booked for 2 weeks from now.

Do you know what the time frame is for it?

Between 11 and 13 weeks, we are having ours 1 day shy of 12 weeks.

Between 11 and 13 weeks, we are having ours 1 day shy of 12 weeks.

Brilliant, thanks Dobbit!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 channelcarrie

Hi guys, firstly congrats to everyone:-) I've been hovering over the thread for a few weeks now and ready to join you!
    We got bfp a few weeks ago- was so nervous after missed miscarriage in the summer so booked a private early scan for yesterday. Am so relieved as we heard strong heartbeat and good measurements!
    Due 19 August and so excited- not sure I'll last till 12 weeks to announce though. Here's to a happy and healthy few months ahead!

Advertisement