Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

26 yrs old and not driving.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,381 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Caliden wrote: »
    I don't mind people not having cars/licences but I just wish some had a bit of a clue when it comes to getting a lift or picking them up.

They seem to be oblivious to traffic and the effort it takes to go the opposite direction of the destination in order to pick them up. Others don't seem to realise the cost of a car, eg. offers to split the cost of a trip to Derry if you drive instead of both taking the bus, then proceeds to hand over 5 euro...

Now I'm not tight but you could at least make an effort, afterall the initial plan was to take the bus because Galway to Derry is a **** drive.

I've had a few instances where I offered a lift home to people on Friday only for them to ask could I pick them up in the city centre at 5pm. Needless to say, they were told make your way to me or get the bus.

+1 to this.

I was listening to "call my way tomorrow", and it was taken for granted that diesel cost nothing.

Or I would be waiting outside and no sign of him coming out of the house.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭evo2000

IrishExpat wrote: »
    Thread title says it all. All 26 years of me and I haven't bothered to sort out this driving license yet.

In my defence I've been living in cities where the public transport usually runs well, so there's been no real pressure for work or social.

I probably should have just had it out of the way a few years back when it was cheaper/handier, and did have the provisional but then let it run out.

Now I'm seeing a lot of positions where they state a driving license is advantageous and can see the benefits if I want to head for a weekend away well away from trains, bus routes ... but I'm not 100% sold on it.

+ must have saved a small fortune over the years with no car to maintain ...

Have at it AH. Any other late-bloomers with this whole driving scene?

Rejoyce in the knowledge that uve saved thousands in the scam that is tax and insurance!! driving isnt all its cracked up to be nor is it a necessity the new and shiny factor quickly wears off driving !

With that said, you 26 not 56 u could learn to drive in about in a few weeks if u really wanted to

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,756 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Public transport is so good hear that there's next to no reason to own a car save for living in a rural area. I'm thinking of learning over the next year or so as it is a very useful skill to have for holidays and moving house.

I have one question though. If I did get a full licence and waited a few years to buy a car, would I need to learn again or is it akin to riding a bicycle?

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Edgedinblue

26 and don't drive either. Done the test once, failed then wasn't able to afford to continue driving lessons and another test. That was nearly 5 years ago and I'm not bothered to learn. I anger very very quickly so will more then likely just kill everyone in my way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭Venus In Furs

I moved to Dublin to go to college and sold the car beforehand. Never needed a car in Dublin - I can understand how people can get by without one until relatively late in life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Going Strong

I'm 49 and a half and am a "Can't drive/won't drive" person. I had one lesson aged 17 and decided there and then that it wasn't for me. I had the same issue when trying to learn to ride a motorbike, I couldn't kickstart it, couldn't ride in a straight line and couldn't change gear so gave up after a few lessons. The thought of being in command (or not) of something that can kill or maim myself and others is enough to make me never want to learn. My spatial awareness is utter cack as well so I'm better off sticking to walking and public transport.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

I'm 49 and a half and am a "Can't drive/won't drive" person. I had one lesson aged 17 and decided there and then that it wasn't for me. I had the same issue when trying to learn to ride a motorbike, I couldn't kickstart it, couldn't ride in a straight line and couldn't change gear so gave up after a few lessons. The thought of being in command (or not) of something that can kill or maim myself and others is enough to make me never want to learn. My spatial awareness is utter cack as well so I'm better off sticking to walking and public transport.

Dunno if its any comfort or not but that is absolutely nothing unusual, Id say pretty much everybody has similar experience when first driving a car and especially a motorbike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭Wolf Club

I'm 26 as well and am in the process of sorting it out now. Don't want a car, just the license, and really wish I had done in when I was in school as it would have been a lot cheaper and handier then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭Chairman Meow

People saying "ah the public transport is great, i dont need a car" makes me laugh. Cause i used to think like that too, as i only learnt to drive in the last 3 years. And now i realize how much i was missing out on. Want to go for a coffee with the wife? 5 minute drive, vs probably 30 minute bus trip. Need to get to the doctors? 10 minutes by car, vs a 40 minute overall trek to the docs.
    Damn, were out of milk. 5 mins to go get to the shops by car, vs almost 40 mins walk there and back. Seriously, youre kidding yourself if you think you dont need a car. Especially at this age. Grown me who cant drive, its just weird.
    Wolf Club wrote:
    I'm 26 as well and am in the process of sorting it out now. Don't want a car, just the license, and really wish I had done in when I was in school as it would have been a lot cheaper and handier then.

Get a car. Even a ****box banger. Youll learn faster, and better if you have something to practice in daily, as opposed to once a week for lessons. Case in point, my Bro failed his test like 6 times when he was taking lessons once a week with no car of his own. Once he got his own car, he passed the next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,845 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

39 and failed first test a few weeks ago- wasn't fully prepared but it was that or lose e85.

Agree with the public transport, I get the train into Dublin everyday but one day wanted to get from Maynooth to Dunboyne and it took 3 hours from I left house between walking down and waiting around for trains - so decided it was time

• Advertisement

People saying "ah the public transport is great, i dont need a car" makes me laugh.
    I genuinely found that to be the case when I lived in Dublin (close to the city centre) for two years - and I had been driving for over seven years before I moved there (selling the car beforehand). I've no doubt I wouldn't have felt the same if I were living in Lucan or somewhere though. Although the idea of sitting in that traffic...
    Cause i used to think like that too, as i only learnt to drive in the last 3 years. And now i realize how much i was missing out on. Want to go for a coffee with the wife? 5 minute drive, vs probably 30 minute bus trip. Need to get to the doctors? 10 minutes by car, vs a 40 minute overall trek to the docs.
    Damn, were out of milk. 5 mins to go get to the shops by car, vs almost 40 mins walk there and back. Seriously, youre kidding yourself if you think you dont need a car. Especially at this age. Grown me who cant drive, its just weird.
    Who are you aiming the above at? Yourself who only started driving in the last three years?

I don't think a person living in a city really needs to drive until they have children.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭DeadHand

Not everyone needs to own a car but I believe everyone should know how to drive.

It'll be an essential skill in the upcoming Zombie Apocalypse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

I started driving at 31, it's incredibly useful. I never bothered with those stupid manual cars though. Automatic is a lot handier.
    So you haven't learned to drive then!

Automatic is grand but means you can only drive your own car. I'd regularly have cause to drive other people's cars. Rare enough that that would be an auto.

Takes about a week to get used to driving a manual realistically. Valuable life skill.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Arbiter of Good Taste

People saying "ah the public transport is great, i dont need a car" makes me laugh. Cause i used to think like that too, as i only learnt to drive in the last 3 years. And now i realize how much i was missing out on. Want to go for a coffee with the wife? 5 minute drive, vs probably 30 minute bus trip. Need to get to the doctors? 10 minutes by car, vs a 40 minute overall trek to the docs.

I'm with you. I have a friend who has had to ring friends at 2am to ask them to drive her down the country because of an ailing parent. Not cool

I'm with you. I have a friend who has had to ring friends at 2am to ask them to drive her down the country because of an ailing parent. Not cool
    Yeh, circumstances do dictate. In the countryside, or having family living in the countryside... I think the person should learn to drive.
    It's less of a pressing concern in the city though IMO and I don't understand why people are getting so hung-up on age (I started driving at 21 btw).

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Guess you were living in the wrong area. Coffee, I go down stairs. Doctor, across the street. Hospital, around the corner. Supermarkets, around the other corner. Pub, down stairs. Airport, 15 mins from downstairs to the terminal gate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

People saying "ah the public transport is great, i dont need a car" makes me laugh. Cause i used to think like that too, as i only learnt to drive in the last 3 years. And now i realize how much i was missing out on. Want to go for a coffee with the wife? 5 minute drive, vs probably 30 minute bus trip.

Less than 5 min walk.
    Need to get to the doctors? 10 minutes by car, vs a 40 minute overall trek to the docs.

Again, less than 5 min walk.
    Damn, were out of milk. 5 mins to go get to the shops by car, vs almost 40 mins walk there and back.

The last place I lived in was upstairs from a shop. Now its you guessed it, 5 mins away.
    Seriously, youre kidding yourself if you think you dont need a car. Especially at this age. Grown me who cant drive, its just weird.

How do I need a car? But women cant be expected to drive eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,544 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Everything is relative.

Didn't start learn till 23. License at 25. Area with decent Public Transport and well able use 2 legs.

Then i got lazy (and richer).

If money (and traffic) were no object, I'm fairly sure everyone would like to own a car for one-off situations.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

I learned to drive in my late 30s, as we had moved to an area where public transport is less frequent or accessible.

But I have to say, I use the car mostly for my communte to work. Most other things, like going out, going to town, library, etc. I still prefer to walk or hop on the train.
    And yes, a car is a black hole when it comes to money. Insurance, tax, petrol, repairs - I would be much better off on public transport, if it didn't add 2 hours a day to commute.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭zcorpian88

I'm 26 myself, got my learners permit late last year, did the 12 lessons and 6 extra ones for good measure during the summer.

Would love a car and I actually have a keen interest in cars but I like having the few bob in my pocket more. Could get myself insured on my fathers car but knowing my Dad he'll always have his hand out for money for it and blame me for any thing that goes wrong with the car. So that's out as well, plus his car is a hefty 1.6.

The father bugs me a lot too because I'm not driving, throws all this shyte at me saying "Why don't you drive? In my day I didn't get tax or insurance and I didn't have a license for a long time, I just got in the car anyway, near a guard on the road either to enforce it" etc

Where I'm like "Yeah Dad that was then and this is now, there are actually plenty of random checkpoints popping up everywhere now and you don't even take the car out often enough to notice it" Plus in his day you could take any backroad to get where you're going and never get stopped, where now a lot of backroads are getting built over by newer roads and motorways.

Plan to get my full license and N plates soon but getting a car will end up on the long finger, they are as bad as a mortgage in my mind.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

Damn, were out of milk. 5 mins to go get to the shops by car, vs almost 40 mins walk there and back. Seriously, youre kidding yourself if you think you dont need a car. Especially at this age. Grown men who cant drive, its just weird.

Perhaps "grown men" ought to choose a better place to live? Or get a bike?

Mind you, as a car owner myself I'd be hypocritical to deny it's a convenient form of transport. But we should not be designing our urban areas, or organising our lives, based on the availability of private transport propelled by energy-wasting heat engines. That just creates car dependence, which is unsustainable.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭Hokuto

28 and learnt to drive last year and been wanting to take the test next year. I'm a very nervous driver but fcuk it I have to drive out of necessity and hated public transport (social anxiety)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭Stavro Mueller

This is totally unscientific of course but I know a couple of people who started driving in their 40s and they were nervous drivers for a long longer than you'd think they should've been. Perhaps as time goes on you get more neurotic?

I think everyone should learn how to drive. It does not mean everyone should own a car. Far from it. I reckon if I lived and worked in Dublin and had access to good public transport, I'd do very nicely without a car. Having a full licence, it'd be no trouble to hire a car if I needed one. I've hired cars and driven in the UK which can be very useful as well.

By not being able to drive, you are limiting your options. It's all well and good if you're living 5 minutes from Tesco, a stone's throw away from work etc. What if the option of a better job comes up and you can't take it because you can't get there? Or in work, there's a need to travel as part of the job? Your friends move down the country and into an area ill-served by public transport? I think you get the point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 750 ✭✭✭playedalive

At least I don't feel as awkward here than I do in real life on this subject :o. I'm 23 and I just can't afford to drive. I did get the learner permit and did lessons, but I just couldn't afford to get the insurance (Under 25 males get screwed over, imo, when it comes to insurance). I was a poor student at the time so couldn't keep it up. Had public transport in Dublin which was fine.

But now I live in France and it's so cool how everybody my age can drive. I'm in a rural town so it would be so handy to take drives out to different places. If I stay put, I might try to learn to drive on the wrong side of the road and car. We'll see:p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

Same here. My car is 26 years old and I went out this morning and it is not driving :mad::mad:

I think the warranty is out and something is wrong with the phone number too as the I know I have the right dial code for East Germany.

Still, on the upside, if you were 26 years old and not riding, it could be a more serious matter to remedy. I mean, you could take all the lessons you want, but no one might let you ride their bike. Bikes are special.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

I lived in the middle of nowhere so I started driving when I was seventeen. I don't think it's weird at all for people not to drive if they have no need to though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

OldNotWIse wrote: »
    I started driving at 27

You must be miles away by now :D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,381 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

jester77 wrote: »
    Guess you were living in the wrong area. Coffee, I go down stairs. Doctor, across the street. Hospital, around the corner. Supermarkets, around the other corner. Pub, down stairs. Airport, 15 mins from downstairs to the terminal gate.

Big difference between the public transport system in Germany and here.

I lived in London for 2 years, had I stayed there I would never have needed a car either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭Smartguy

Not everyone needs a car for day to day living but everyone should learn how to drive. It opens up a whole new world in terms of seeing different places when you go abroad for example.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,170 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Driving is essential for some of the things that I want to do in life e.g. I wanted to travel up the Pacific Coast Highway and stop at the major beaches along the way. When I was on the East Coast of America, I managed to see most of the states there thanks to driving the rental car around in the evenings.

Driving costs a lot but it gives much more freedom than cycling or using public transport. The best things to see everywhere, tend to be those that are off the beaten track

Advertisement