Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

26 yrs old and not driving.

Options
  • 03-12-2014 8:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭

Thread title says it all. All 26 years of me and I haven't bothered to sort out this driving license yet.

In my defence I've been living in cities where the public transport usually runs well, so there's been no real pressure for work or social.

I probably should have just had it out of the way a few years back when it was cheaper/handier, and did have the provisional but then let it run out.

Now I'm seeing a lot of positions where they state a driving license is advantageous and can see the benefits if I want to head for a weekend away well away from trains, bus routes ... but I'm not 100% sold on it.

+ must have saved a small fortune over the years with no car to maintain ...

Have at it AH. Any other late-bloomers with this whole driving scene?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭Afroshack

IrishExpat wrote: »
    Thread title says it all. All 26 years of me and I haven't bothered to sort out this driving license yet.

In my defence I've been living in cities where the public transport usually runs well, so there's been no real pressure for work or social.

I probably should have just had it out of the way a few years back when it was cheaper/handier, and did have the provisional but then let it run out.

Now I'm seeing a lot of positions where they state a driving license is advantageous and can see the benefits if I want to head for a weekend away well away from trains, bus routes ... but I'm not 100% sold on it.

Same age, same situation. I never needed it in Dublin and I need one even less now I'm in London.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

Learned at 30, loads of people I know still haven't learned. I was led to believe I was the only one by friends as well. :) Listened to an interview with Cillian Murphy about Peaky Blinders, only started learning to drive. Seems common enough with rich and famous as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

I'm 33, and have never driven. I don't need one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭sitstill

I started learning at 28 and passed my test at 29. Never had an interest before but now I wouldn't be without the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

Buddy is 30 lives at home, doesn't drive. Has to get a lift to work every day. And home again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Thread title says it all. All 26 years of me and I haven't bothered to sort out this driving license yet

All 26years? Sure you can't drive till 17 anyway so realistically it's all 9 years of being legally able to drive that ya havint learned

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Only learn when you need to.

A car is a f*cking black hole when it comes to money.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭biomed32

27 and still not driving, I walk, cycle and use public transport to get anywhere although I agree with you, a lot of positions seem to want people with drivers licences but getting your licence and a car have become unbelievably prohibitive

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

My granny is 89. She's never driven a car in her life either.

She knows how to bake good soda farrells though op.

Chin up, every cloud and all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,094 ✭✭✭wretcheddomain

Ha, that should be the least of your problems.

I know of a "man" in his mid-30s who gets his weekly shopping done for him by his elderly parents - and he lives and works near several shops.

I also know of another "adult child" who, also in his mid-thirties, asks his mother to make & wrap sandwiches for him the night before he goes to work.

So not knowing how to drive is perfectly normal when you compare it to the real extremes I've just outlined. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭toastedpickles

I'm 23 and have two cars

I'm great :pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,074 ✭✭✭relax carry on

Started learning at 29, passed at 30. Only learned because I needed to get about in a town with poor public transport. Always lived in areas before that with good public transport. It's no big deal really.

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Ice Storm

I got my licence in my early 20s but didn't get my first car until I was 30 (a couple of months ago).

I didn't need a car because I used public transport. I don't really need one now tbh but it's nice to have the freedom.

I'm glad I learned to drive when I was younger though because it would be a pain in the ass to start off now. Lots of people do it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭dutopia

I got mine at 29, which is still consider late by social standards. I got it in South Korea where the whole procedure was easier - I then exchanged my license when I returned to Ireland. I'm so glad I'm driving now and can't imagine not having a car. I think the main reason is because I have a young baby... I could never rely on any other form of transport if she was sick or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭IrishExpat

Any perspective from the wimmin? Guy 1) we can go the the cinema ... meet you there or we'll take the bus. Guy 2) sure I'll collect you at 8. Can see a slight head-start with option 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

I'm 29 and still not driving, I'm ten minutes away from work on the bus and have an aldi and super value within ten minutes walk. Saving for a car alright but I'm in no rush.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Didn't learn until I was about 32. Had no need to before then so wasn't bothered.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

I started driving at 31, it's incredibly useful. I never bothered with those stupid manual cars though. Automatic is a lot handier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭Tail Docker

My old lad never drove a car, didn't like them or want one. I started driving at 17. Driving is an essential in the countryside, in the city, not so much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭obezyana

Started driving at 28 as i never needed it before but now the car would be the last thing id want to give up. There is a nice of freedom in owning a car, you can just get in it and off you go to where ever :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Copa Mundial

Started learning to drive when I could reach the tractor pedals, got the full license when I was 17. I've got growing up on a farm and living in a rural area to thank for it.

Different strokes, of course. I spent a small while in Dublin last year and found that having a decent public transport network nearby was really, really great. A car would have been a complete waste of money and effort for those few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭LoganRice

never too late to learn :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭kwestfan08

Passed the test at 23. Felt like a late bloomer tbh as I was one of the last of my friends to get the license. Bit different from ye as I'm in the country so car is essential but even so it never hurts to know how to drive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭obezyana

queasy_f wrote: »
    Kind of pathetic not being able to drive at your age to be honest. The fact that you made a thread about it here shows that you think so too. What are you scared of?

Ah here thats a bit harsh, some folks dont need cars some do, some like to have car some don't. Whatever the case i wouldn't call it pathetic

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭IrishExpat

'Pathetic', is a bit strong, no? Correct, I made the thread to gauge if I was in fact in the minority and from the responses so far, we're all pathetic not being able to drive before whichever age you've decided is the right one. I could book a theory test tonight and be driving in under 6 months, but there's no pressure/need to just yet. Thanks for the previous responses all.

edit: poster used a bit of self-moderation and deleted previous thread. Nevermind.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭Filmer Paradise

Only learn when you need to.

A car is a f*cking black hole when it comes to money.

But you don't have to buy a car the minute you learn or pass your test !

Agree with you about cars being a money pit though.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭tim3000

I can drive I just cant pass the test. I am 26 as well, deeply regret starting the whole thing. OP If you are gonna do it keep going even if you fail the test two or three times (like me).

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭GalwayGirl26

Bit younger then you, but still not driving and it's really getting to me. I'm a teacher and have to get the bus with the kids :/ So not cool.
    It's just such a massive expense for something that I suppose isn't 100% a necessity.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭LaVail

I think all people should learn to drive while young and do the driving test. It does no harm to have knowledge and understanding of the rules of the road and how to drive properly even if you have no intention of buying/owning a car.

If you are going to learn OP I suggest putting time and care into it and do it right. Too many people are complacent behind the wheel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,381 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

If you live in the city it's easy enough to manage without learning to drive IMO, but being a bogger boy like me it's impossible to manage without one.

Friend of mine never learned, the wife used to drive him everywhere, now he is divorced and can go nowhere.

Advertisement