Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

26 yrs old and not driving.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭d.pop

Driving licence and learning to swim. Technically you don't need either but what's the harm in having both these "life skills" espically if you need either, one day...
    I was relatively late getting my licence and until I got it I didn't think it had affected my life one bit. After getting the licence and thinking back over the previous years it actually had held me back quite a big professionally and personnally.

Thats only if you own a car, those of us who are just getting a licence for the sake of having one magically become non novices by doing nothing :P

NAIL ON THE HEAD. Stupid N plates. Another idiotic move from the RSA

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

I was about 31/32 when I learnt, didn't really need it before then, looming redundancy gave me the push. Eventually had my full license 7-8 months after getting my provisional. Wouldn't be without the car now, even if I dont drive for a day or two, knowing its in the driveway if I need it is peace of mind.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

You'll be sorry when your head explodes and your legs fall off because you didn't learn to drive and you'll say WHY DIDN'T I LEARN TO DRIVE WHYYYYYYYY

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

It's very handy though, opens up loads of stuff like taking off for a weekend or a night and not having to worry about bus times. But if you don't want to you could learn and just not buy a car

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,342 ✭✭✭✭starlit

Only learn when you need to.

Defo agree with that. Only learn when you need to and want to learn to drive. Sometimes circumstances will motivate you to learn or not.

I was a little later than usual for those to start, I was 23 when I started to learn but officially was 26 before I properly learnt but took me a bit of time to learn but guess I didn't pass till I was truly ready to go off driving on my own at about 27.

I was coming to a stage in my life I needed to pass the test was now or never and I lived in an area that I had no choice but to learn bar when I lived in cities didn't matter but living in the countryside, its very hard not to learn when depending on others to drive you places even to drop you to public transport! I've never looked back and its a great sense of independence and responsibility! Often wonder why I didn't learn sooner but guess I had no need or incentive before mid 20's!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

Ya I know a few that learn to drive so that they had their licence whether or not they had a car or went off to buy one sometimes they waited till they needed a car it was just handy they had their licence and had it when they needed a car.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭Filmer Paradise

doovdela wrote: »
    Ya I know a few that learn to drive so that they had their licence whether or not they had a car or went off to buy one sometimes they waited till they needed a car it was just handy they had their licence and had it when they needed a car.

Also, your first insurance quote is likely to be lower if you've held a full licence for a few years.

Ya I think its when you over 25 and over 30 again depends.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Keithmc40

I'm 41 and still never learned to drive ,cycle to work

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

I am (almost) a senior citizen. Learned to drive in my 30's and passed my test after a couple of tries. Didn't bother getting a car until I applied for a job in my fifties, which I got, and employer said I had to have my own transport, and the business wasn't on a direct bus route, so I bought my first car then. Don't know how I lived without a car before that. I love to drive. However, the (adult) kiddies aren't really interested, but I've given one a course of driving lessons as a present, and now have to work on kiddie number two. It's a life skill, you never know the day or hour you will be speeding to a hospital, and yes, I've had to do that as well, was delighted to be able to drive that day I can tell you!

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭liz lemoncello

You're missing my point altogether.

I'm not saying everyone should own a car.

I'm saying that everyone should learn early & try for their licence as soon as they can.

Someone I knew described the ability to drive as "a life skill". I agree, although it's not one I've ever mastered. I've not needed a car but now I am beginning to feel too dependent on my sister and her OH whenever we visit the other siblings who live out of town.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭Filmer Paradise

Someone I knew described the ability to drive as "a life skill". I agree, although it's not one I've ever mastered. I've not needed a car but now I am beginning to feel too dependent on my sister and her OH whenever we visit the other siblings who live out of town.

Yeah, I'd hate to be dependant on anybody for something as basic as that. Imagine you had an argument with them. Then you'd be stranded.

Personally,I'm long past the stage where driving's a novelty & I avoid it wherever possible. Luckily Mrs Paradise is a nervous passenger & takes the wheel when we venture out.

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭IrishExpat

Currently a Spanish resident, but home often enough.

I need to weigh up if it´s cheaper/handier to get the license here or at home as I have seen a LOT of changes from how it was cerca 2010. What happened to the old L plate?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

IrishExpat wrote: »
    Currently a Spanish resident, but home often enough.

I need to weigh up if it´s cheaper/handier to get the license here or at home as I have seen a LOT of changes from how it was cerca 2010. What happened to the old L plate?

Its still there. Once you do the theory test you have to do some amount of lessons and display a L plate.

Once you do the needed number of lessons (dont know how many, I did my theory before that came in) you can sit the test and if you pass you have to use N plates for 2 years. Its probably to warn other more experienced drivers that you may indicate when turning.

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭gnf_ireland

I only got around to getting mine in my mid-30's and the trigger point was my wife was expecting and knew I would have to drive her to the hospital in the middle of the night !

Like yourself, lived abroad for years and never needed it

That said, I still don't drive a massive amount (take public transport to work), but still delighted I have it and offers massive freedom

My advice - make it a new years resolution and just do it !

I never needed a car until this year when I got a new job a bit out of the way. I really do wish I had the freedom to head out in a car when my bus stands me up or I need to pop somewhere last minute. So I'd love to know how to drive and have a licence.

BUT

1. I don't have anyone who'd support me learning to drive, e.g. come out driving with me, show me the ropes etc, and I doubt I could pass the test with nothing other than the required amount of lessons.

2. I couldn't really afford the lessons.

3. I wouldn't currently have the time to do the lessons. I'm working full time (leave the house at 7.30 and get home as late as 7) and studying in my spare time, plus having to fulfill little obligations like sleeping, eating, buying groceries, doing laundry and showering.

4. I have no car, not even a lend of one for driving practice.

5. I can't afford insurance.

If anyone sees fit to look down on me because I can't afford a car, or because I don't have the kind of parents who'd support me in getting a licence, then really it's more of a reflection of their ignorance rather than my laziness/immaturity. The people that would say "I can't understand how anyone wouldn't get a licence", obviously had good opportunities to learn. As of yet I haven't. I'm sure I'll probably make the time and save the money in the future, but for the moment I certainly wont be feeling worried about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

I never needed a car until this year when I got a new job a bit out of the way. I really do wish I had the freedom to head out in a car when my bus stands me up or I need to pop somewhere last minute. So I'd love to know how to drive and have a licence.

BUT

1. I don't have anyone who'd support me learning to drive, e.g. come out driving with me, show me the ropes etc, and I doubt I could pass the test with nothing other than the required amount of lessons.

2. I couldn't really afford the lessons.

3. I wouldn't currently have the time to do the lessons. I'm working full time (leave the house at 7.30 and get home as late as 7) and studying in my spare time, plus having to fulfill little obligations like sleeping, eating, buying groceries, doing laundry and showering.

4. I have no car, not even a lend of one for driving practice.

5. I can't afford insurance.

If anyone sees fit to look down on me because I can't afford a car, or because I don't have the kind of parents who'd support me in getting a licence, then really it's more of a reflection of their ignorance rather than my laziness/immaturity. The people that would say "I can't understand how anyone wouldn't get a licence", obviously had good opportunities to learn. As of yet I haven't. I'm sure I'll probably make the time and save the money in the future, but for the moment I certainly wont be feeling worried about it.

This is a problem I have too. Any driving I do needs to be with an instructor. Someone who is looking for 40 euro for an hour of driving. Luckily I managed to get some practice when I lived at home as my mum got me to drive whenever we were going to the shops or to grandparents but now Im over 3 hours away.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

As soon as I could get one I got a motorcycle to get to school, I've never switched to cars, although doctors orders may change that in the near future. Despite everyone telling me four wheelers are much easier to drive, I think I'm going to have trouble getting my head around not being in the middle of the vehicle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭fergus1001

24, driving since 17

Still on provisional own my own car

Can't get all my eggs in a row to go do a test as of yet

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

Started to learn how to drive at 21, after I lost a coop posistion because I didn't have a full licence and spend four months learning how to format word and HR in one of UL coop offices lovely alternative coop experiences.

Never realised how much I needed it. Public transport from Laios to Limerick is sh1t at the best of times and illegal most of the times. Public transport is also terrible around Castletroy. Depending on your location it could cost you two fairs to travel four/five stops.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

IrishExpat wrote: »
    Any perspective from the wimmin? Guy 1) we can go the the cinema ... meet you there or we'll take the bus. Guy 2) sure I'll collect you at 8. Can see a slight head-start with option 2.

ye...

omg I'm also 26 and can't drive, wow we have so much in common :P

I could never afford to learn to drive, although I did do my provisional and was driving around at home years ago. Still couldn't afford to but also have no inclination to, never found it necessary, hardly a basic need or anything. Of course I've thought it would be nice/make things easier, there would have been times in Ireland I would have loved to visit somewhere but just working out the logistics of getting there without a car wasn't worth it. Carrying shopping is another thing that you just have to get used to :( First world problems though in fairness! But then I moved to Amsterdam, transportation cost of about €60 for a bicycle and....that's it. Why would I want a car?? It was -2 today though, so I kinda want a ski mask now :P

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

24 and can't drive at all. I do live in the country, enjoy cycling to work and the shops and whatever else. Can't really afford a car right now, although the odd time I would like one. Most days though I'm glad to have the extra money :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

No harm to at least have a provisional license, even if you may never need to use it. Passed mine first go at 19 and the independence of being able to wake up on a summer Sunday and just drive to Lahinch in the sun on a whim is something I'd be hard-pressed to give up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭obezyana

Its still there. Once you do the theory test you have to do some amount of lessons and display a L plate.

Once you do the needed number of lessons (dont know how many, I did my theory before that came in) you can sit the test and if you pass you have to use N plates for 2 years. Its probably to warn other more experienced drivers that you may indicate when turning.

Haha that is true :D or if you see some one actually take the correct lane on a roundabout.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

30, can't drive. Couldn't afford to learn for a long time while I was in college, then never really got around to it, then moved to London where car ownership is a pain in the arse! A bike and a travelcard do just fine here.

I do have a UK provisional license though, and will start lessons when my wedding is fully paid off.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

23, I know how to drive but I find the thought of saving up to head for Australia in the near future much more appealing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Oops69

Any Fianna Fáil ex government ministers/ parasites on here care to give their opinions ? ! is it really necessary to learn when you have a nice Garda to do it for you ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭obezyana

Oops69 wrote: »
    Any Fianna Fáil ex government ministers/ parasites on here care to give their opinions ? ! is it really necessary to learn when you have a nice Garda to do it for you ?

Why even make this thread political? This is about ordinary people and whether they drive or not.

Advertisement