Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

26 yrs old and not driving.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,992 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

fergus1001 wrote: »
    24, driving since 17

Still on provisional own my own car

Can't get all my eggs in a row to go do a test as of yet

Ah man, Driving 7 years and still on your provisional?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,183 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

39 and I don't have a license.

I even own a car. Someone gave it to me. I just don't drive it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

IrishExpat wrote: »
    Any perspective from the wimmin? Guy 1) we can go the the cinema ... meet you there or we'll take the bus. Guy 2) sure I'll collect you at 8. Can see a slight head-start with option 2.

To quote from TLC...

'Hanging out the passenger side
    Of his best-friend's ride
    Trying to holler at me...'

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

I never really needed a license as I was always living in a city; in a place like London not driving is a perfectly normal state of affairs. However, I've recently applied for a job which demands a full license and I lied on the application and said I had one. I am now frantically arranging lessons etc as I need to pass the test before next April. I'm perfectly able to operate a vehicle but just never got around to sitting the test.

I'm kicking myself when I think of the years I spent putting it off and now I'm in a position where I need a license to progress my career. As someone said earlier, there is no onus to immediately get a car but having a license is an important life skill that everyone should aim to get as quick and as conveniently as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

I don't mind people not having cars/licences but I just wish some had a bit of a clue when it comes to getting a lift or picking them up.

They seem to be oblivious to traffic and the effort it takes to go the opposite direction of the destination in order to pick them up. Others don't seem to realise the cost of a car, eg. offers to split the cost of a trip to Derry if you drive instead of both taking the bus, then proceeds to hand over 5 euro...

Now I'm not tight but you could at least make an effort, afterall the initial plan was to take the bus because Galway to Derry is a **** drive.

I've had a few instances where I offered a lift home to people on Friday only for them to ask could I pick them up in the city centre at 5pm. Needless to say, they were told make your way to me or get the bus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Smartly Dressed

I learned to drive at 19 and passed the test. It made sense to learn while I was young and had the free time to practice and take lessons. Forward planning etc. Plus, it not only gave me more freedom but also my parents.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Jaggy

My full licence was issued in October 2008 when I was 20, not long after I passed my test. I've driven once since then and that was about a week after the test. Haven't had the money to fund it (or interest) since then. On the look out for a car at the moment though. Especially as Bus Eireann have increased fares by 4% in the last few days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

I started driving at 27

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

Any other late-bloomers with this whole driving scene?

Could be worse, OP. I wonder how many of these cowboys are still driving on Irish roads?
    In 1979 anywhere from 25,000 to 50,000 driving licences were given out to those who had never taken a test. There had been a lengthy postal strike and no applications could be received or posted. Not many had telephones back then (two years to get one installed), so tests could not even be arranged by phone. This led to a huge backlog. The then Environment Minister, Sylvester Barrett decided the best way to sort it out was to declare an amnesty. So a full driving licence was given to candidates who held a second provisional licence.

http://www.independent.ie/life/motoring/car-talk/why-roads-are-safer-after-50-years-of-the-driving-test-30062291.html

Only learn when you need to.

A car is a f*cking black hole when it comes to money.

But a necessary black hole for non city dwellers in a country with abysmal public transport.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

LaVail wrote: »
    I think all people should learn to drive while young and do the driving test. It does no harm to have knowledge and understanding of the rules of the road and how to drive properly even if you have no intention of buying/owning a car.

If you are going to learn OP I suggest putting time and care into it and do it right. Too many people are complacent behind the wheel.

We are not clones.. would also be bad to do this then not drive for years

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

Any perspective from the wimmin? Guy 1) we can go the the cinema ... meet you there or we'll take the bus. Guy 2) sure I'll collect you at 8. Can see a slight head-start with option 2.

Woman here... I'd prefer meeting up at the cinema, myself.
    I wouldn't feel too comfortable in a car with someone I barely know.

I only learned to drive in my late 30s, I had always lived in places with good public transport and/or short distances that can easily be walked before.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭monty_python

Thread title says it all. All 26 years of me and I haven't bothered to sort out this driving license yet.

In my defence I've been living in cities where the public transport usually runs well, so there's been no real pressure for work or social.

I probably should have just had it out of the way a few years back when it was cheaper/handier, and did have the provisional but then let it run out.

Now I'm seeing a lot of positions where they state a driving license is advantageous and can see the benefits if I want to head for a weekend away well away from trains, bus routes ... but I'm not 100% sold on it.

+ must have saved a small fortune over the years with no car to maintain ...

Have at it AH. Any other late-bloomers with this whole driving scene?
    im 29 and only started driving 6 months ago, its handy out, just go for it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

But a necessary black hole for non city dwellers in a country with abysmal public transport.

Just because there's public transport doesn't mean it's any good.

I live in Dublin city and still need to drive to get to work only 15km away. 1.5 hours by 1 bus & luas (or 2 buses). One way....

1 hour by car or ~3 hours by public transport....

Iwannahurl wrote: »
    Could be worse, OP. I wonder how many of these cowboys are still driving on Irish roads?

Why are they cowboys exactly for availing of something that was offered to them. I know a number of people who got their licence in this way including my mother and they are as well able to drive as anyone else, better than most actually.

I cant imagine how people got into their 20's or 30's without driving. The second I was 16 I was out on the roads going places in the tractor (I was able to drive from the age of about 10) and had my provisional as soon as I turned 17 and my full soon after. Not having a car or being able to drive (even living in a city) would be like missing an arm or a leg to me, its essential.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭ringadingding

I was telling my European friends how back in the 90's, it was perfectly normal to just be given the keys to a car and be let off driving, the passenger with a licence rule wasn't enforced.

To look back now, it scares me that a gang of us drove like loons on the roads without so much as a lesson between us.

Why are they cowboys exactly for availing of something that was offered to them. I know a number of people who got their licence in this way including my mother and they are as well able to drive as anyone else, better than most actually.

I cant imagine how people got into their 20's or 30's without driving. The second I was 16 I was out on the roads going places in the tractor (I was able to drive from the age of about 10) and had my provisional as soon as I turned 17 and my full soon after. Not having a car or being able to drive (even living in a city) would be like missing an arm or a leg to me, its essential.

A lot less cars on the roads back then.

It's perfectly fine not being able to drive, but when your car-free Bohemian existance comes to a shuddering stop through work or other changes in life then you'll find yourself fumbling around with application forms, licences, instructors and tests. Better to get it done and dusted early on.

Might never need to use my CPR skills ever either, but sure you never know.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭tinz18

For some reason almost all the guys I've dated haven't driven. Didn't bother me much at all as long as they were willing to hop on the bus every once and a while to come to me and didn't expect me to always drive! Option 2 would be grand but some male (and female) drivers are lunatics(big brothers included) and I wouldn't chance getting into their car if I didn't know them.

My OH is 28 and still doesn't drive but I'm hoping he'll at least learn just in case anything happens me that I can't drive (like my sis after her c-section).

We live in the city and he's from a well connected town so it was never an issue for him to hop on a bus or train but I'm from the middle of nowhere in Roscommon so not driving was never a runner and from 18 I was driving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭Baron Kurtz

I think I was about 18 or 19 when I passed my test. Didn't purchase a car for a number of years later. I'm pretty glad I did as it provides a good outlet for you when and where you decide to go, not when public transport does.

Jesus, getting a train down the country at Christmas or on a bank holiday for example is a nightmare. Thankfully that aspect of it is no more.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,113 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

40 and never needed to bother. Living in Dublin, you hop on a bus or I get on the bike.

The OH has been driving since the age of 2 or something, cos she was born in the middle of a field.

:pac:

If you're down in the country, a car is pretty much essential.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭batnolan

I think it is a good skill to have. It then depends on individual circumstance or not if they actually need a car or not. Expensive and continuous outlay for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Ilyana 2.0

I'm 23 and I have my provisional licence, but I got caught with all that 12 lessons crap so learning to drive became too expensive. The fact that learners can't drive by themselves is a PITA too. I have the lessons done but I'm nowhere near test-ready. As well as that, I don't have regular access to a car; I was insured on my mother's car but she could be at work for 12 hours a day, and I live away from home during the week anyway.

It's all well and good telling someone to just get out there and learn, but if you can't afford a car or there isn't one at home you can use regularly then it's pretty difficult to become competent enough to pass your test, as much as you might want to.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

driving is a life skill..so is good to learn at some stage but not essential. It should be introduced in schools I think..More useful that some of the other subjects

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭obezyana

wadacrack wrote: »
    driving is a life skill..so is good to learn at some stage but not essential. It should be introduced in schools I think..More useful that some of the other subjects

I agree 100%. The theory should be taught in schools instead of ......lets just say em .......religion..........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

I don't think teaching people do drive in schools would be all that beneficial, sure they are supposed to learn to read and write at school but that doesn't always work out too well. :P

Some things are probably better left until you are a bit older, life experience is as important as road experience in driving. I'm driving since I was 8 years old and only passed my test at the second time when I was 17 by chance (the instructor wasn't too bothered that day). If the 17 year old me had went for the test they have now I wouldn't have had a hope, too many bad habits already in the bag.

Too many people see learning to drive and having a car as the be all and end all, it's not. They are looking at it the wrong way. It's not impossible to live in a rural area without having the means to drive, it's impossible for public transport to service parts of the country where too many people live remotely and have access to a car anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭Ben D Bus

I'm mid-40s and never drove.

I took lessons in the 80s but then started college so couldn't afford a car (and no family car as widowed mother never drove)

Then I went to work for the nations much loved semi-state public transport organisation. Been buses & trains to get around ever since.

I keep saying I must learn to drive but never get around to it. Now that the novice plate has been introduced I can't imagine the shame of driving around with one of those at my age - although people would probably assume I had a kid who had just passed their test! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

I was 35 having my first driving lesson. OH has always driven, so either got a lift, or used the bus. It got to the point where it became a necessity, with a child with hospital appointments, so I eventually pulled out the finger. Passed my test within a year, and can't imagine not driving now. Having said that, I won't drive where I can easily walk, must be force of habit.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

37 and don't drive, never owned a car and haven't needed one. Always lived where there was good public transport. Decided 10 or so years ago to learn to drive. Joined the driving school, did the classes, exams, life saving course, motorway, city, nighttime driving etc. Got the license and my test was the last time I drove a car. Waste of money, but I have a license, just don't think I would be able to drive!

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭gutenberg

I'm 25 and don't have a licence, have never even had a provisional. Until I was 22 I lived in Dublin, with both a train & a bus route within 10 minutes' walk of my house, and I went to college in the city centre so there was never any question of driving in! I used to cycle to my weekend job at the local shopping centre, about 10-15 minutes' cycle away, and would cycle to friends' houses etc.

I then moved to a city in the UK where everyone cycles! So that is my primary mode of transport. Use it to go to work, to the gym/swimming pool, etc. My OH & I even joke that the bike is the 'family car' as we bring it grocery shopping with us, and fill up the basket & panniers with our stuff, and just carry anything else. There are buses here for getting around when a bike is impractical (such as going to the train station with luggage to catch a train to the airport), and there are good links to major cities such as London & Birmingham. The only time I might notice that a car would be handy (apart maybe from the grocery runs, and when it's chucking rain & the early cycle to swimming pool seems massively unappealing) would be to take some trips into the surrounding countryside; while the city itself is well serviced, it's actually very rural once you leave & so a car becomes a necessity.

So thus far I haven't had any need to drive. In fact, some friends are having to take refresher lessons once they move somewhere else, as it could have been 5+ years since they drove last!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,080 ✭✭✭McChubbin

26 here and can't even drive a radio controlled car! Sure, I rely on public transport or walking to get where I need to go. Can't afford the endless expenses that come with a car and even if I could, sure I'm too easily distracted and quick to anger to be a good motorist.

Advertisement