Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seems like a good deal on coal....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭pa990

I've previously ordered a tonne of premium for 210.

But now I'm looking for some smokeless for a family member.

It'll be used in an open fire.
    What do you recommend.

(The pallet will be half premium for me, and half smokeless for them)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

where is tge best deal at the moment for supertherm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Tinder Surprise

1 tonne of smokless Ovoids delivered today lads from CW - delivery took a bit of an age but that's another story.

Will let you know how they compare later

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

screamer wrote: »
    Ok so not a bargain alert but today I bought some anthracite beans instead of my usual supertherm ovoids and the heat I've had had been unreal. I've had my stove going since 2.30 today on one bucket of anthracite and my rads and water are piping hot. I've now out on some ovoids for overnight burning. I'll keep testing the anthracite but so far it out performs any ovoids I've ever used and burns hot with a blue flame.

Haven't seen those anthracite beans around - where did you get them?

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Dools2007

Anyone buy the Black Diamond coal for 210 lately.

Just wondering if this is big chunks of coal or smaller pieces?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭lolliedog

Dools2007 wrote: »
    Anyone buy the Black Diamond coal for 210 lately.

Just wondering if this is big chunks of coal or smaller pieces?

The 20kg bags are definitely smaller pieces.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Dools2007

lolliedog wrote: »
    The 20kg bags are definitely smaller pieces.

Great, thanks.

Was looking to get the larger pieces of coal. Anyone got any recommendations for an open fire?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Tinder Surprise

1 tonne of smokless Ovoids delivered today lads from CW - delivery took a bit of an age but that's another story.

**UPDATE**

Bargain Alerts Wins Again!!!

The Coal Warehouse smokeless Ovoids are the dogs b*llox.

Thanks to my3cents and taytobreath for the heads up and advice, and also anyone i may have missed out.

I've certainly made the right decision in choosing this product for my stove, and that is a relief as I have made a few terrible decisions over the past 6 months (long story)
    The ovoids burn very hot and for very long with a small fume flame. They leave only ash (similar to the union nuggets) and the stove was still very hot to the touch this morning - some 8hrs after a refill (never had this residual heat with any other coal used)

I know the previous coal I was buying was not at the most competitive prices,and buying by the bag is far from smart, but its good to get a superior product at near half the price.

Comparisons:
    Premium Stove coal (Bord na mona/B&Q) @ €585 a tonne
    Coal Warehouse smokeless Ovoids @ €280 a tonne
    € 305
    - € 50 delivery
    €255 savings

Premium Stove coal (Bord na mona/B&Q) @ €20.50 (35kg bag)
    Coal Warehouse smokeless Ovoids @ €11.55 (35kg)

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭DavyC2

I ordered a pallet in the 23rd of November, I only received it yesterday. I got 50/50 Black Diamond and ovoids, only tried the ovoids last night but I'm impressed with them so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭pissed

Another +1 for CW Ovoids. Got a delivery about two weeks ago. Best heat I have ever had from the stove. Was previously using a mixture of Premium Stove coal and Polish coal.
    No cinders, glass on stove stays spotless. Pity it took me so long to bite the bullet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭reubenreuben

Oh yes, smokeless ovoids are the best for stoves.

Word of warning though, don't breathe any of the burnt dust in when you are cleaning out the stove. It doesnt half taste and smell bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭wait4me

Everything Tinder Surprise said. Happy (very) with the ovoids

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭reni10

Do CW deliver the Smokeless Ovoids in Bags so they can be stored in a shed or something like that instead of a coal bunker?

If they come in bags how many bags is in the tonne?

I will save you looking back in the posts here:rolleyes::rolleyes:. Its been mentioned numerous times:

25 x 40Kg bags or 40 x 25Kg bags; delivered on a pallet so YOU have to bring it into your property

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭lolliedog

Dools2007 wrote: »
    Great, thanks.

Was looking to get the larger pieces of coal. Anyone got any recommendations for an open fire?

Apparently, the 40kg bags have larger pieces.

wait4me wrote: »
    I will save you looking back in the posts here:rolleyes::rolleyes:. Its been mentioned numerous times:

25 x 40Kg bags or 40 x 25Kg bags; delivered on a pallet so YOU have to bring it into your property

Mine came in 20kg bags (50x20kg black diamond )

lolliedog wrote: »
    Apparently, the 40kg bags have larger pieces.

Plenty of large pieces in my 20kg bags.

Size might just depend on the batch.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭GY A1

Let us know how it burns.
    How much that work out altogether
    pa990 wrote: »
    Mine came in 20kg bags (50x20kg black diamond )

Plenty of large pieces in my 20kg bags.

Size might just depend on the batch.

pa990 wrote: »
    Mine came in 20kg bags (50x20kg black diamond ).
    Great - so easier for lifting!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

wait4me wrote: »
    Great - so easier for lifting!

If they don't say when you order then you'll probably get 40kg bags. If they don't give you the option (20KG or 40KG) then ask.

GY A1 wrote: »
    Let us know how it burns.
    How much that work out altogether

Burns well in an open fire.. no complaints.

Was €210 + £52 for shipping

So.. all in, about €270

I specially asked for the smaller bags, easier to move about, store etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭eiei0

How would the CW Smokless Ovoids compare to Arigna Ecobright or Staffords Premium Polish coal for heat in a boiler stove??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

eiei0 wrote: »
    How would the CW Smokless Ovoids compare to Arigna Ecobright or Staffords Premium Polish coal for heat in a boiler stove??

What brings you here? ;) I would suspect that the Ovoids are similar to the Arigna Ecobright (if not the same) and superior in a stove to Staffords Premium Polish Coal. There are a couple of Ovoid detractors here but many will say Ovoids are the best you can get (from CW) for a stove. I like Union Nuggets but they aren't for you where you want a high heat output. Union Nuggets are only a step up from peat blocks about 5.5Kw per kilo as opposed to about 8.3 Kw per kilo for Ovoids (iirc).

Any of the unprocessed coals are really too dirty for a stove but some people put up with that because of cost, heat output per kilo is also a bit less than ovoids. You may not notice it straight away but the build up of soot in the chimney will be much greater with Polish Coal. If you notice the stove needs cleaning more with Polish coal then the chimney will be just as bad or worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭2forjoy

To compare ovoids with polish coal,you are talking chalk and cheese .

I have a suspicion that the CW ovoids are manufactured in Arigna .

For last post above , i always thought that build up of soot was caused more by timber than coal . Am I wrong ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Walter2016

**UPDATE**

Bargain Alerts Wins Again!!!

The Coal Warehouse smokeless Ovoids are the dogs b*llox.

Thanks to my3cents and taytobreath for the heads up and advice, and also anyone i may have missed out.

I've certainly made the right decision in choosing this product for my stove, and that is a relief as I have made a few terrible decisions over the past 6 months (long story)
    The ovoids burn very hot and for very long with a small fume flame. They leave only ash (similar to the union nuggets) and the stove was still very hot to the touch this morning - some 8hrs after a refill (never had this residual heat with any other coal used)

I know the previous coal I was buying was not at the most competitive prices,and buying by the bag is far from smart, but its good to get a superior product at near half the price.

Comparisons:
    Premium Stove coal (Bord na mona/B&Q) @ €585 a tonne
    Coal Warehouse smokeless Ovoids @ €280 a tonne
    € 305
    - € 50 delivery
    €255 savings

Premium Stove coal (Bord na mona/B&Q) @ €20.50 (35kg bag)
    Coal Warehouse smokeless Ovoids @ €11.55 (35kg)

You can't really compare single bag price versus bulk one tonne price and claim xx savings.

That's rose tinted glasses way of doing it.

Easy to get one tonne stoveheat delivered for €420 by Quinns and probably others. (kildare, wicklow and carlow €20 for one 40kg bag, €54 for 3 bags, €100 for 6 bags).

To see real savings, always compare like with like. Otherwise you could buy a 2l bottle of coke and claim €3 saving from 4x500ml on the next shelf.

I prefer to buy 3 bags house coal at a time (open fire) + 2 briquettes + kindling for €50. Fills the coal bunker and easily collected in the car.

Interesting to see how this works.

You call them and order.

You then call a transport company to collect on your behalf effectively CW are not exporting the goods - its you that are taking all risk of delivery.

That means people are avoiding carbon tax €2.40/40kg bag (0 in NI) and higher vat rate 13.5% v 5%.

Nothing terribly wrong in that, but when you add in the extra taxes, the price is not that different to local suppliers.

At the end of the day its a tax avoidance system. And quite clever.

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭deisedav

You like paying 20 quid plus for a bag of coal Walter, which is what it costs where I live

deisedav wrote: »
    You like paying 20 quid plus for a bag of coal Walter, which is what it costs where I live

A tiny bit of shopping around will it far cheaper.

Want convenience, you pay a premium no matter what the item and no matter where you are.

A little checking sees 40kg black Diamond for €14.50 in ABS diy on the Killeen road.

Also remember that in NI they charge less taxes because they give feck all to the unemployed, the retired and those with disabilities.

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭deisedav

You can get house/bargain coal for 15/16 quid here but it's terrible stuff with lots of clinkers left in the morning. I'm ok with getting it cheaper up north as I feel I pay more than enough tax already.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

Walter2016 wrote: »

Also remember that in NI they charge less taxes because they give feck all to the unemployed, the retired and those with disabilities.

On the list of things I care about when buying coal, they all score pretty low to be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭eiei0

You never know where I will end up :D

Thanks again for the help,
    my3cents wrote: »
    What brings you here

Advertisement