Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seems like a good deal on coal....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,513 ✭✭✭✭vectra

GaryCocs wrote: »
    Hi All,

Can you burn ovoids in an open fire or is there something about the chemicals in it?

Nice one,
    Gary

I burn them all the time, I am still alive. :D

Does anyone have any experience of the gold range? Doubles or otherwise. Thinking of getting this: http://www.kosyking.com/domestic-fuel-wholesale-coal-products/gold-doubles-full-ton

But I'd love to hear experiences before I jump!

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭2forjoy

Dónal wrote: »
    Does anyone have any experience of the gold range? Doubles or otherwise. Thinking of getting this: http://www.kosyking.com/domestic-fuel-wholesale-coal-products/gold-doubles-full-ton

But I'd love to hear experiences before I jump!

no experience , but its hard to know . they the cheaper doubles. you probably know doubles will be max 2 inch and cannot be burned in smokeless zone .
    probably cheaper than the emerald doubles because you will have less heat.

likely to be a mix of colombian and scottish

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭wait4me

After following this thread for so long, I finally bit the bullet and ordered from CW. Well pleased with the service - ordered at 1030AM on Monday and took delivery in Dublin today at 1230. Great service - now lets see how their ovoids burn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Bit of feedback. Bought the Premium Ovoids form KK(http://www.kosyking.com/domestic-fuel-wholesale-coal-products/high-quality-coal/premium-stove-coal-ovoids-ton)

One thing to note, the 20kg bags are great. I needed to move everything to sheds so a good bit of lifting etc involved but they where perfect. I had 40kg bags before and they are so awkward. Plus you can't store the bloody things anywhere, so really like to 20kg bags

In terms of burning. I had a few bags from CW before and found them great. I have moved house so different situation. I am using the KK in large stove which heats house. The heat from them is great but it does take a while to get them up and running.

My standard fire is 2 large logs on each side and then a full bucket( of coal in middle. I need at least an hour or more before it will get up to temp for the pump to start kicking in to heat house, but after a full bucket and the 2 logs it will have the rad's very hot and keep going for a few hours, I normally start topping it up after about 2 hours.

So far very happy with them. Really could do with getting a bag of CW and doing a comparison....might order next from CW and see how it compares

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Lads and lassies, where is the CW Coal coming from? Specifically the Black Diamond. Are they getting ship loads in direct from wherever?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Tinder Surprise

This is cut and paste from the Coal Warehouse Facbook Page.

Slack - €130 per tonne
    Singles - €155 per tonne
    Polish - €180 per tonne
    Black diamond €210 per tonne
    Doubles - €180 per tonne
    Columbian - €250 per tonne
    Union Nuggets - €250 per tonne
    smokeless ovoids - €280 per tonne
    Country blend - €280 per tonne
    Clearflame - €280 per tonne

..they really are v.good prices in fairness (ex delivery), but i haven't a Scooby Doo which of the bottom four on the list would be best for my stove.

Is there anywhere you can get a single bag to try before buying say a tonne?

Are you using any of the above and can recommend?

Ta

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Kosy King are doing a deal with 10/12 pounds off......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭u140acro3xs7dm

Slack - €130 per tonne
    Singles - €155 per tonne
    Polish - €180 per tonne
    Doubles - €180 per tonne

..they really are v.good prices in fairness (ex delivery), but i haven't a Scooby Doo which of the bottom four on the list would be best for my stove.

Ta

€250 isnt bad for a tonne of Colombian :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭reubenreuben

Slack - €130 per tonne
    Singles - €155 per tonne
    Polish - €180 per tonne
    Doubles - €180 per tonne

Ta

smokeless ovoids, best of the bunch for stoves

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭blindside88

I recently bought a mixture of Polish Coal and Ovoids. I'm finding both very good but next time Id probably go with all ovoids. I split the load with my dad and he's currently mixing polish coal and ovoids and putting them in the stove together. Is there any real disadvantage of doing this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

I recently bought a mixture of Polish Coal and Ovoids. I'm finding both very good but next time Id probably go with all ovoids. I split the load with my dad and he's currently mixing polish coal and ovoids and putting them in the stove together. Is there any real disadvantage of doing this

Only the sooty mess that polish makes of everything including the chimney.

smokeless ovoids, best of the bunch for stoves

are you using their brand of Ovoids in your stove? ... what is left afterwards?

cinders or just ash?

The reason i ask is because i have tried the Premium Ovoids (B&Q) and the Nuggets also from there.

The ovoids leave cinders, and the Nuggets leave just a yellow ash.
    The ovoids cinders next morning would be cold, but the nuggets left the ash with some red glow.
    Both burn really hot but the Ovoids a bit longer.
    I was really surprised at the cheaper nuggets performance and how easy to clean up after.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭reni10

Anywhere in the South East sell the Smokeless Ovoids at a decent price?

I see some Bord na Mona Ovoids I think in 10kg bags in Tesco so any comments on those burning in a room heating only stove?

cinders or just ash?

The reason i ask is because i have tried the Premium Ovoids (B&Q) and the Nuggets also from there.

The ovoids cinders next morning would be cold, but the nuggets left the ash with some red glow.
    I was really surprised at the cheaper nuggets performance and how easy to clean up after.

The (Union) Nuggets are good but as soon as people read that they produce a lot less heat than Smokeless Ovoids they normally start to give out the Nuggets are rubbish.

Union Nuggets do burn for a very long time and are normally clean as solid fuels go but being made from lignite a poor grade of coal only few grades up from turf they don't give out as much heat. I still think they are very good value at Coal Warehouses prices.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭MrDiyFan

Are smokeless ovoid available nationwide?
    I've never heard of them?

gonna order a tonne of smokless ovoids €280 + ~€50 delivery = €330

from Coal Warehouse.

will let you all know when arrive how they go.

MrDiyFan wrote: »
    Are smokeless ovoid available nationwide?
    I've never heard of them?

Thats because all the coal brands have their own fancy names to try and make them sound good or they blend them with cheaper coal to keep the price down.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭reubenreuben

cinders or just ash?

coal warehouse ovoids. Only powder ash left over. Try not to breathe the dust in though, desperate taste/smell

coal warehouse ovoids. Only powder ash left over. Try not to breathe the dust in though, desperate taste/smell

thanks mate

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

I found the coal left a tar residue on the stove. Ovoids alone are the best or mixed with timber.

What's the best way to use ovoids in a stove.
    I want to keep it going 24/7 for a while.Can it be closed off. Do you fill it to top. Stove is an Oisin. Thanks

MrDiyFan wrote: »
    What's the best way to use ovoids in a stove.
    I want to keep it going 24/7 for a while.Can it be closed off. Do you fill it to top. Stove is an Oisin. Thanks

The Oisin is only a little stove, smallest I think Waterford Stanley do, and while I think ovoids will be ideal if you are buying from coalwarehouse get a couple of bags of Union Nuggets to try.

The Union Nuggets won't get as hot but imo may last longer and give you a fire thats easier to control. I'd expect a good shovel full of nuggets put on a hot fire at midnight and closed down still to be glowing 8 hours later

Just fill it up let it go with a good lot of air until most of the dirty gases burn off and some of the fuel is glowing red then turn it down to your desired heat output. Fill up and repeat before the first lot burns out. I've seen those Oisins burnt out from over fueling (the castings warp so you can't control the air flow) so don't pack in as much fuel as you can trying to make it burn for longer. Once you have got the fire going well you can virtually close them right off a couple of days using it will give you a good idea.

OK thanks for that very informative reply

• Registered Users Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

my3cents wrote: »
    The Oisin is only a little stove, smallest I think Waterford Stanley do, and while I think ovoids will be ideal if you are buying from coalwarehouse get a couple of bags of Union Nuggets to try.

The Union Nuggets won't get as hot but imo may last longer and give you a fire thats easier to control. I'd expect a good shovel full of nuggets put on a hot fire at midnight and closed down still to be glowing 8 hours later

Just fill it up let it go with a good lot of air until most of the dirty gases burn off and some of the fuel is glowing red then turn it down to your desired heat output. Fill up and repeat before the first lot burns out. I've seen those Oisins burnt out from over fueling (the castings warp so you can't control the air flow) so don't pack in as much fuel as you can trying to make it burn for longer. Once you have got the fire going well you can virtually close them right off a couple of days using it will give you a good idea.

Spot on there's no need to pack the stove with fuel I also have an Oisin and burn the CW Ovoids and a small bit of timber. If I don't fully shut the dampner the fire will still be glowing red in the morning. I bought a ton Ovoids last October and used about half of them last winter and will have enough to last me this winter going on current usage.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭DubInTheWest

Hey guys, just an update.. not on how the ovoids from CW are burning unfortunately as I still haven't received them. I was surprised to see one of the posters ordered Monday and received today. I ordered on Friday before 4pm, was told by CW that it will be 3-4 working days - Fine.
    Still no sign as of today, rang Liam Connollys and the guy was more interested in getting me off the phone than giving me any info. Basically said they are 3 days+ behind on the orders and has no idea when I'll be getting my delivery as they are very busy, wow some customer service lol
    I'm in no way stuck for the ovoids as I have plenty of fuel here but it could have went the other way and I could be relying on that delivery. CW said the ton was picked up on Monday. The last time I used CW it was with Ace delivery and it was fine, even on Christmas week. Maybe I'm off their beaten track or something but if I stick with the ovoids I might try the Kosy King in future for lack of hassle.

Again, I will report back... when... I get the ovoids and give my opinion on the burn :)

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭2forjoy

Hey guys, just an update.. not on how the ovoids from CW are burning unfortunately as I still haven't received them. I was surprised to see one of the posters ordered Monday and received today. I ordered on Friday before 4pm, was told by CW that it will be 3-4 working days - Fine.
    Still no sign as of today, rang Liam Connollys and the guy was more interested in getting me off the phone than giving me any info. Basically said they are 3 days+ behind on the orders and has no idea when I'll be getting my delivery as they are very busy, wow some customer service lol

Neither CW or Liam Connolly will take responsibility for delay. your pallet was delivered to hub in Blanchardtown by LC and from there it moves overnight to your local courier . He is responsible .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,134 ✭✭✭screamer

Ok so not a bargain alert but today I bought some anthracite beans instead of my usual supertherm ovoids and the heat I've had had been unreal. I've had my stove going since 2.30 today on one bucket of anthracite and my rads and water are piping hot. I've now out on some ovoids for overnight burning. I'll keep testing the anthracite but so far it out performs any ovoids I've ever used and burns hot with a blue flame.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,854 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

2forjoy wrote: »
    Neither CW or Liam Connolly will take responsibility for delay. your pallet was delivered to hub in Blanchardtown by LC and from there it moves overnight to your local courier . He is responsible .

That would stop me using CW. If I have to take days off work it would soon outweigh any price saving. The responsibility is with whomever you made the contract with. Their internal problems aren't an excuse

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 597 ✭✭✭clfy39tzve8njq

screamer wrote:
    Ok so not a bargain alert but today I bought some anthracite beans instead of my usual supertherm ovoids and the heat I've had had been unreal. I've had my stove going since 2.30 today on one bucket of anthracite and my rads and water are piping hot. I've now out on some ovoids for overnight burning. I'll keep testing the anthracite but so far it out performs any ovoids I've ever used and burns hot with a blue flame.

What exact product did you buy and how much did they cost. Was the fire difficult to start. Thanks

Advertisement