Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seems like a good deal on coal....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭garion

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Thanks for feedback, just out of interest which ovoids did you buy? I got the Premium Kosy Glo Ovoids (Full Ton)

I got the Maxi Brite Smokeless Ovoids

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭lenscap

I have used Kosy King premium ovoids and never had a problem.

What size are the Maxi Brite ovoids?

lenscap wrote: »
    I have used Kosy King premium ovoids and never had a problem.

What size are the Maxi Brite ovoids?

I'll post a picture later. I'd say about the size of a golf ball.

Are the KK Premium ovoids smokeless?

The Kosy King premium ovoids are bigger than a golf ball.

45cc26a3b89d25d5cb896fb154c8eb99c973e951.jpg

The KK premium would look like the one on the left.

The KK premium were sold as smokeless, as I bought a pallet in August but I now see from their site that they are only for sale in UK and have been switched from the smokeless section.

I don't like the sound of those Maxi Brite ovoids if they are that small.

It's a pity as I found KK very easy to deal with and great for arranging delivery on a day that suited (my day off).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭reubenreuben

garion wrote: »
    I bought a tonne of smokeless ovoids from CoalWarehouse last year and this year I said I'd buy a tonne of the KosyKing smokeless ovoids, mainly for the same convenience reasons as you.

Here's my view having tried both:
    1. CW ovoids are twice as big as KK ovoids! I couldn't believe the difference in size when I opened the first bag from KK! I'll post pictures later to show the difference.
    2. KK ovoids do not generate 1/2 of the heat as CW ovoids. I have a Rayburn cooker heating 8 rads & the hot water. With KK ovoids the temperature of the cooker doesn't get much above Simmer (Simmer/Bake/Roast are the heat indicators). With CW ovoids it easily reaches Roast - and most importantly it stays there!
    3. The KK ovoids do burn alot longer, albeit at a much lower heat. 1 bucket lasted nearly 24 hours. However, when it did eventually go out I was left with 1/2 a fire full of unburnt cinders that I had to clear out before re-lighting the fire.
    4. With CW ovoids I get zero cinders and also very little ash. They also burn a decent length. 2 - 2.5 buckets a day will keep the house toasty & the kitchen will still be warm in the morning.

So, as you can tell from the above I'm very frustrated with the KK ovoids. The delivery may be more convenient (for me it actually wasn't - it took them 2 weeks to successfully do the drop after I got a call from a driver 10 mins from my house when no one was home to sign for it!) but in my view I paid about E50 more for an inferior product.

I've called KK once to complain and was told it was the first complaint they had about them and when I mentioned my comparison to CW they dismissed the quality of the CW coal. They said they'd call me back but no word yet.

Anyway, I still have 1/4 tonne of CW ovoids so have taken to manually mixing both batches and it's fine - but it's a mighty pain in the @rse.

So, I'll be going straight back to CW for my next order.

Hope this helps.

Do kk sell the large ovoids as well as i was under the impression that the difference was just in the size and burn rate. I would have expected the small ovoids to generate the same heat but get to temperature quicker and last a shorter time.
    I think that cw only sell the large ovoids as they never give an option for small ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭deisedav

I bought a tonne of smokeless ovoids from CoalWarehouse last year and this year I said I'd buy a tonne of the KosyKing smokeless ovoids, mainly for the same convenience reasons as you.

Here's my view having tried both:
    1. CW ovoids are twice as big as KK ovoids! I couldn't believe the difference in size when I opened the first bag from KK! I'll post pictures later to show the difference.
    2. KK ovoids do not generate 1/2 of the heat as CW ovoids. I have a Rayburn cooker heating 8 rads & the hot water. With KK ovoids the temperature of the cooker doesn't get much above Simmer (Simmer/Bake/Roast are the heat indicators). With CW ovoids it easily reaches Roast - and most importantly it stays there!
    3. The KK ovoids do burn alot longer, albeit at a much lower heat. 1 bucket lasted nearly 24 hours. However, when it did eventually go out I was left with 1/2 a fire full of unburnt cinders that I had to clear out before re-lighting the fire.
    4. With CW ovoids I get zero cinders and also very little ash. They also burn a decent length. 2 - 2.5 buckets a day will keep the house toasty & the kitchen will still be warm in the morning.

So, as you can tell from the above I'm very frustrated with the KK ovoids. The delivery may be more convenient (for me it actually wasn't - it took them 2 weeks to successfully do the drop after I got a call from a driver 10 mins from my house when no one was home to sign for it!) but in my view I paid about E50 more for an inferior product.

I've called KK once to complain and was told it was the first complaint they had about them and when I mentioned my comparison to CW they dismissed the quality of the CW coal. They said they'd call me back but no word yet.

Anyway, I still have 1/4 tonne of CW ovoids so have taken to manually mixing both batches and it's fine - but it's a mighty pain in the @rse.

So, I'll be going straight back to CW for my next order.

Hope this helps.

Do kk sell the large ovoids as well as i was under the impression that the difference was just in the size and burn rate. I would have expected the small ovoids to generate the same heat but get to temperature quicker and last a shorter time.
    I think that cw only sell the large ovoids as they never give an option for small ones.
    Yeah kk sell the large ones too. Just ring them and they will sort you out for some

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

I'll post a picture later. I'd say about the size of a golf ball.

Are the KK Premium ovoids smokeless?

No, I am not in smokeless area....

I actually talked to guy in KK and he said the Maxi Brite was better than the premium. I was at one stage going to buy 2 tonne and he was going to throw in a couple of bags of the Maxi Brite for free so I could try

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭rufio777

Incase it helps anyone. Picked up 18 bags from the coal warehouse Saturday. That had no doubles but recommended bags with Amberflame premium coal on them, took a chance and have to say I'm delighted with it. Burns well, great heat and very little left in the morning.

Using in an open fire with back boiler mixed with logs and turf

• Registered Users Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Bazzy

I got half a tonne of Smokeless Blend from KosyKing great service and delivery, delivery guy couldn't have done anymore for us

I am beyond impressed with the heat, open fire nothing attached.

As the boom is back I throw on one of them fancy dancy firelogs 10 for €10 in local hardware small bit of timber and topped u with a bucket of coal and it burns for the night always red cinders in the morning, We only light it in the evenings

Fire only needs to be cleaned out properly once a week.

The heat is immense so much so the coldest woman in ireland had to open the sitting room door to let some of the heat out !!

I will be getting a stove plumbed in next year have a small one in our other sitting room and heat off it is amazing we have two year old twins who get up to no end of mischief, we have it fenced off but I wouldnt trust them so it only gets used the odd time.

Just a bit of feedback for anyone whos thinking

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭cranefly

Will kosyking deliver the larger smokeless ovoids to the south, i noticed as well that they only deliver the larger ovoids in the uk, so we ordered a ton of maxi brite smokeless instead, was very surprized to see that they were the very small ones as i usually get the smokeless from coal warehouse and thought they would be the same size. They burn ok but they are to fiddly to use when you are use to the larger ones, also their is double the amount of ash compared to coal warehouse, but i think kk ones are better for the chimney, less stickiness with the smoke if you get my meaning. So i guess my question is, is kk kosylow large ovoids smokeless? and will they deliver to cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Tinder Surprise

Can I ask a favour/make a suggestion...

When posting about a certain coal would it be an idea to give the exact brand name (not just manufacturer), or even a description of the bag as there is a clatter of very similar products across a few suppliers and its a bit of minefield.

Thanks in advance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Can I ask a favour/make a suggestion...

When posting about a certain coal would it be an idea to give the exact brand name (not just manufacturer), or even a description of the bag as there is a clatter of very similar products across a few suppliers and its a bit of minefield.

Thanks in advance.

Obviously you have never dealt with coal warehouse. There bags of smokeless ovoids just say "Smokeless Ovoids".

lenscap wrote: »
    The Kosy King premium ovoids are bigger than a golf ball.

45cc26a3b89d25d5cb896fb154c8eb99c973e951.jpg

The KK premium would look like the one on the left.

For me the CW Smokeless Ovoids are on the left and the KK Smokeless Ovoids are on the right.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

For me the CW Smokeless Ovoids are on the left and the KK Smokeless Ovoids are on the right.

The KK ones I got were the large ones on the left. About 2 months ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,875 ✭✭✭enricoh

Bit the bullet on two ton of black diamond off coal warehouse in 40kg bags, half of it for the oul lad. Very happy with it - easy order/ delivery. Coal burns well, good heat n sod all cinders left. Under 11 quid a bag delivered works for me!

cranefly wrote: »
    Will kosyking deliver the larger smokeless ovoids to the south, i noticed as well that they only deliver the larger ovoids in the uk, so we ordered a ton of maxi brite smokeless instead, was very surprized to see that they were the very small ones as i usually get the smokeless from coal warehouse and thought they would be the same size. They burn ok but they are to fiddly to use when you are use to the larger ones, also their is double the amount of ash compared to coal warehouse, but i think kk ones are better for the chimney, less stickiness with the smoke if you get my meaning. So i guess my question is, is kk kosylow large ovoids smokeless? and will they deliver to cork.

Have larger ovoids supposed to be delivered tomorrow. Got call today. I ordered on Tuesday night I think so not too bad service....will see how they go in fire....

I bought a 10kg bag of coal today and with the big stove it was gone in a couple of hours. So hopefully KK coal will last longer with good heat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 597 ✭✭✭clfy39tzve8njq

Shefwedfan wrote:
    I bought a 10kg bag of coal today and with the big stove it was gone in a couple of hours. So hopefully KK coal will last longer with good heat

Geeney what stove do you have if you don't mind me asking

Geeney what stove do you have if you don't mind me asking

Glenmore 20b, heating the house as well.......I did have it opened up to heat up the rad's etc to max heat:P

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭DubInTheWest

Ordered a ton of the ovoids from the coal warehouse today. It will be 3 to 4 working days delivery time due to the cold weather and supply and demand. It seemed a bit of hassle at first with the new courier order form but once I had a proper look at it, and viewed the example on the coal warehouse facebook page it was fairly straightforward. I'll post back my review next week when I burn some :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭sword1

Ordered a ton of the ovoids from the coal warehouse today. It will be 3 to 4 working days delivery time due to the cold weather and supply and demand. It seemed a bit of hassle at first with the new courier order form but once I had a proper look at it, and viewed the example on the coal warehouse facebook page it was fairly straightforward. I'll post back my review next week when I burn some :D

Ordered yesterday,was told 3 or 4 working days so I was surprised coal arrived today,got the 25 kilo bags this time,much handier,12 months since I last got coal and the ovoids seem the same as the last batch

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Cionn

Just a quick question and apologies if this is considered off topic. Does anyone know of any deals on briquettes in Dublin at the moment.

I can only presume that the deals stop once the temperature drops.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Cionn wrote: »
    Just a quick question and apologies if this is considered off topic. Does anyone know of any deals on briquettes in Dublin at the moment.

I can only presume that the deals stop once the temperature drops.

There is a briquettes thread in BA might be best ask in there for better result.

Edit - Here's a link infact

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057661537

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Cionn

vicwatson wrote: »
    There is a briquettes thread in BA might be best ask in there for better result.

Edit - Here's a link infact

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057661537

Thanks much appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 5,089 ✭✭✭mikeecho

Has anyone a link for someone that seeks BnaM peat briquettes by the pallet up north ?

Will need to get a good deal Inc shipping

mikeecho wrote: »
    Has anyone a link for someone that seeks BnaM peat briquettes by the pallet up north ?

Will need to get a good deal Inc shipping

Try the briquettes thread ?? The link is in 3 posts up ^^^

• Registered Users Posts: 7,335 ✭✭✭naughto

I've being burning theses in the picture but there expensive what ones will I order so I get something similar

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭ROS123

Has anyone used the Polish Coal, is it the same as Polish Coal down South, say like Black Diamond that can be purchased in petrol stations by the 25kg bag ? Is the Black Diamond from Coal Warehouse the same as down here ?

It is for use in an open fireplace, not a stove..

ROS123 wrote: »
    Has anyone used the Polish Coal, is it the same as Polish Coal down South, say like Black Diamond that can be purchased in petrol stations by the 25kg bag ? Is the Black Diamond from Coal Warehouse the same as down here ?

It is for use in an open fireplace, not a stove..

Read back few pages, polish not as good at the BD from coal warehouse but yeh the BD from cw same as down at your local garage ime

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭randombar

Hi All,

Can you burn ovoids in an open fire or is there something about the chemicals in it?

Nice one,
    Gary

Advertisement