Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seems like a good deal on coal....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,862 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

I see places advertising €8 a bag near me and people go in to be told that’s 20kg

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 7,329 ✭✭✭naughto

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭Indestructable

Well, I just bought a tonne from Easyglow for next Winter. Can see their prices going up very soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 photovoodoo100

Does anyone know if countryblend from CW is good in an open fire, mother in law is thinking about buying a ton she doesn't have a stove getting very worried about the comming price hikes here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,329 ✭✭✭naughto

fj2022 code for 5euro off with easyglow

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭mollymac57

With reports on RTÉ that coal is to go up by €7 a bag I’m not taking any chances and have bought a ton from Dairygold at 784 incl delivery. Stocked up with what I have in the shed and this ton coming.

Jesus Christ that’s some ball of cash for a ton of coal, you know this is bargain alerts right ?

i think a moderator should revoke your membership

• Registered Users Posts: 40 topofthewind

I used it the last 2 winters. A good fuel, comes on a covered (plastic hood) pallet in 20kg clean bags.

It had good heat output. It lights easily enough. The ash content is average to low.

Overall I’d recommend it. Handy to order online too.

Another stove fuel I bought is “golden glow” eco glow from Mcloughlins, Buncrana, Co. Donegal. Local supplier ceased trading so I switched fuel. It was the best I have used. High heat and very low ash.

I see they do deliveries now by the ton. I’d recommend it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭Shauna677

It sounds like panic buying. Mad money to pay for a tonne of coal. Money be better spend if it was redirected towards retrofitting his house.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭swardy1

Pricing has gone crazy. Just checked price from my last order of these back in Sept 2021 and a tonne of these ovoids was €344 (€388 including delivery).

• Registered Users Posts: 45,291 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

The very definition of panic buying.

You'd have saved hundreds by just shopping around. Yer man probably couldn't believe his luck when someone paid it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,610 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

Hate to hear of people worrying about basics like heat particularly the older generation. I would suggest a mix of coal and good seasoned fire wood for an open fire. Plenty of genuine sellers out there but a few sharks also.

Few quid more and you’d get two pallets from easy glow or coal wharehouse

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭2forjoy

Increase is price gouging. I heard there is a plentiful supply of Columbia coal.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,763 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

Surely you mean a pallet 40x40kg bags 25x40kg bags in a tonne.

yea it’s 40x40 kg bags of Arigna Cosyglo smokeless. Works out at €19.60 per 40kg bag, delivered. (Or €9.80 per 20kg)

Its not panic buying by me. If I see that a commodity is likely to increase in price I will buy in advance as I’m sure most BA people would. I have bought from NI for the past few years with mixed results. The quality of this product should be much higher and if not I will exercise my consumer rights with a local supplier. I have an oil boiler and with the price of kerosene rocketing I am holding off purchasing if/until prices stabilize. And in the meantime I will burn this coal I have purchased along with existing stocks to heat my home. It made sense to me to buy but others are free to exercise their own judgement. By waiting though the prices of all fuels are only likely to sky rocket (eg: petrol, diesel, kerosene, gas etc) at least in the short to mid term. I’m more than happy to know that I have a lot of my heating secured for next winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,174 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Fair enough, but you posted a ton, i think most would have taken that as 1000 kg, not the 1600 kg that you bought, i buy a tonne a year, i have gas heating also but use it very little, the amount of fuel many buy on here seems big to me, i suppose a tonne a year seems alot to others.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭macvin

I have done a fair bit of reading on the oil/diesel price jumps.

In the middle of it coal also was in many news articles.

It has gone crazy in the last 10 days with some market prices at $400/t.

That's before shipping, bagging, distribution costs, taxes and margins.

Up until early February it was trading $130-$140 per ton, then jumped to $180.

Then since 2nd march it went stratospheric to $400.

It will drop back when the war ends - but that could be a while away yet.

Basically, if you use coal, buy it immediately. Don't wait another day. It will be €600/ton from NI and €700 in the south when extra vat and carbon tax is added.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭podge3

Worst coal I ever bought - and I got a few bad batches from the North over the past year or 2.

Humongous amounts of ash and clinkers left in the grate. I couldn't burn more than a bucket of the stuff before the fire was smothered with the ash.

It was replaced by a different batch of the same product and that was even worse. Got a refund eventually.

• Advertisement

Just checked and 40 x 40kgs of the coal I bought has increased in price to €880 (from €759 on Sat night)

Anyone in the market for coal might be well advised to check and buy before prices go up more generally.

€3 a bag increase on a bulk order. You'd wonder how much of an increase on single bags. I believe Panda waste have put a €1 fuel surcharge on each residential bin lift.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭homer1982

Has anyone bought Polish coal from CB Fuels in Fermanagh? Is it any good?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭Indestructable

Easyglow went up €70 this morning, compared to the tonne I ordered Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭podge3

The Homefire Supertherm ovoids I mentioned previously are still the same price locally i.e. 5 bags for €99.

I bought 15 bags and have another 5 approx so that should see me through the early part of this year. Hopefully some sense of normality might have returned to fuel prices by next winter.

Post edited by podge3 on

have you ever seen coal go down in price ? it is only up it is going with the green party taxing it later this year

CW increasing by a further €40 a ton from tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Conchurl

I phoned them on Monday to order 6 ton of black diamond and was told they were sold out and to call back in a few days

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭enricoh

Got a ton of small ovoids off easyglow last week , e460 delivered. Was waiting 10 days from the order so they must be busy. Good heat, last well- happy with them. I use them in the stove.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,755 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

EG now 535 per ton for smokeless, plus delivery. No need for coal in this weather, just burning timber now, I won't be ordering coal until next oct, hopefully the lunacy is over by then.

Advertisement