Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seems like a good deal on coal....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,336 ✭✭✭jmreire

Thanks Omega,I'm pretty sure that you are right, but in the past I bought a ton from a local supplier ( it was the 2nd Ton, with the 1st one being fine) But it turned out to be rubbish coal, and he sad that I was the only one complaining , and refused to do anything about it. A few months ago, I bought a Ton of Hayes Hi heat, and to be honest, its working fine heat wise, but a lot of it is a bit "pebble" like, so I mix it with a larger coal. But one bag of larger coal costs €22, so this of course makes the Hayes coal expensive. But anyway, the way things are going, lucky to have any coal available. And this is why I bought the CW Ovoids,,,I'm not even halfway through ton of Hayes from the Dandys, but I will not have much left I think by the time the winter is finished....i was still lighting fires end of may last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭gabbo is coming

What's CW?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,862 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭gabbo is coming

Do they deliver to Dublin?

They are on Facebook, as far as I know you need to arrange your own courier

easy glow and dandy have couriers they use and you get a price at checkout for anywhere in Ireland

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭reubenreuben

They can include delivery of 80 euros in the price. Even with delivery price is much cheaper than here. Shows you how much we are being ripped off. Prices going up soon so call them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭Redriddick

I ordered a ton too. First time from CW will let all know what it's like. It was a toss up between oil and coal but the oil is mental at the minute.

They ( CW) gave me the option, either use my own courier ( they even gave me the name of a local courier) or they would organize for me @ €80 / ton. So I went with them.

80 seems pricey for a courier i paid 55 with easy glow to cork and dandy are 65

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭amber2

Easyglow have increased delivery cost to €60 yesterday to cork, but maybe increase isn’t on all routes…. Still slightly cheaper than CW.

Post edited by amber2 on

• Advertisement

Thats what I paid to Dandys too for my first Ton, so I thought it was standard. Will know better next time, for sure!!! Thanks again. NB: the way fuel / transport prices are going, looks like if I was to delay ordering, might not be much difference between the price of the coal, and the cost of the transport.......😕

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭The Student

Would never buy from easyglow again. Bought small ovoids and they were rubbish. They fall apart into dust. Contacted them on three seperate occasions about the issue and they never once replied.

Easy glow gave me a free ton of coal when I complained and I couldn’t be happier with the service, each to their own I guess

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭enricoh

Gonna order a ton of ovoids off easyglow n will report back. I got a ton a year or so ago when a good few on here were complaining but I found them grand.

I bought a ton of polish coal the year before of coal warehouse n it was pure dirt, I wouldn't deal with them again as they were fit to send that crap out.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭macvin

There's no "rip off" in the south. You have 13.5% vat on coal, we have 5%.

You have carbon tax of about €70 on a tonne of coal. We have none.

Seems a tonne of decent smokeless coal is about €480 in the south. (I found a site called coop superstores with that price)

If vat was 5% and there was no carbon tax, that 480 would be €370

But it's swings and roundabouts. We're paying about the equivalent of €2.30 for diesel and €2.15 for petrol in the north at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭The Student

Good for you. Ironically I had a number of neighbours who have asked me for recommendations and I directed them to coal warehouse.

The fact that Easyglow ignored me was the issue. Every company can get a bad batch etc but the lack of customer service was the issue for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭dollylama

I've went through a few different products from Hayes to see what works.

Grade A anthracite: poor heat for anthracite and only available in 40kg bags. Wouldn't recommend.

Burnglo anthracite: relatively easy lit, good heat and good burn time but an extreme amount of clinker left in the grate after burning. Yet strangely, I found if I throw 2 or 3 shovels of ovoids on top of the Burnglo just as it's burnt out, there's literally nothing left in the grate in the morning! Not sure the science here but it seems if the anthracite is covered, it burns out perfectly.

Surelite ovoids: easy lit, good heat and good burn time. I'd nearly say these are the same ovoids Coal Warehouse are selling. Next to nothing left in the grate after burning.

Glovoids: I think these used be called Supacite ovoids. Easy lit, great heat... higher than Surelite / CW but they don't burn quite as long. Literally nothing left in the grate after burning.

Calco Magiglo: this is pet coke mixed down with some other fuel as I was tempted to try pet coke but worried about excessive burn temperatures. It's difficult to light, needs 30 to 40 minutes open damper but it burns out well and gives good heat... nothing excessive. I'm going to try pure Calco next time as, despite the hard lighting, the low price is hard to pass on... approx €6.50 per bag at tonne rates

Columbian Hi-flame coal: easy lit, good high heat, burns quick like any other coal with very little left in the grate.

The Dandys sell Hayes products but Hayes themselves will sell ex. Belfast if you're buying in quantity and will do mixed pallets. Will definitely be trying them again soon... good range of products and keen prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,725 ✭✭✭bigron2109

I’ve bought from Easyglow for a few years. Just a bit of advice don’t buy the SMALL OVOIDS… I’ve always bought the large ones, and bought the small ones last year and they were rubbish for a large stove. They might be alright for a small stove but not great for the large stoves . Their large ovoids I’d have no problem with what so ever.

When I got onto Pat in Easyglow they gave me a free tone so I can’t complain about their customer service .

I had a couple of bags of the small ones left and used a bag last week and you can see the massive difference compared to the large ovoids. Doesn’t give off as much heat and burns a lot quicker .

I think you have answered your own question there.

Republic is a rip off on coal, this thread is not about petrol/diesel. Another part of boards for that discussion.

That's why majority on here buy or are thinking of buying coal from the north.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭macvin

My example is coal. The difference is tax. No rip off by a retailer.

Different countries apply taxes differently. Same as different countries spend taxes differently.

Up here, god help you if you are unemployed. You get about £80 a week. Down south you get more than double that.

It's swings and roundabouts.

If you can take advantage, great. But don't say rip off. I'll be taking advantage of cheaper diesel in the south, but I'm not saying the north is a rip off even if it's 40c a litre more expensive now. That's tax difference for you.

• Advertisement

Never said retailer was the ripoff.

This is about coal prices, nothing else.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭amber2

Agreed bought the small ovoids few years back, they were terrible and like you just used up the last of the bags recently mixed them in with triple heat and they burned fine. Won’t be buying them again though.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭lenscap

The price of coal in Northern Ireland appears to be changing very quickly, week from week.

I have attached a simple chart to compare prices both North and South. Please remember that no sooner than I post this but some of the prices will change, so it is only a snapshot. (The delivery was to my own address in the west of Ireland.)

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Bif

Who will you go with? What are the Homeland smokeless stove ovoids like?

• Registered Users Posts: 40 TaSeThat

A couple of sneaky things you can try with EasiGlow (I've bought off them for the last couple of years and they seem grand):

1. Log into your account and go to buy coal....but leave it for a day or so. I did this on my last order and I got an email saying something along the lines "You left items in your cart"...."We can give you €4 off to finish your order"
    2. Also, I contacted EG to see if I can pay in sterling (I'm sure their conversion is not the best - I have Revolut". They said you can but you have to phone in your order.

The above may save you a few sheckles but not sure if point 1 was a once-off for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭Phil.x

Looks like I'll be burning rubbish and furniture soon.

RTE news : Bag of coal to increase by €7, says fuel supplier

http://www.rte.ie/news/2022/0312/1286038-coal-price-rise/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,763 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

Smokeless is like burning stones, hard to light and very little heat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭Indestructable

That's an astonishing increase.

I hope everyone has their pallets stored securely. They'll be a target for thieves as well as oil.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,763 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

Smokey coal for €8 49 kg bag? Where’s that for sale? Only saw it was 2014, oops.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,291 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Stock up quick!

Advertisement