Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seems like a good deal on coal....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭lenscap

The Hayes smokeless ovoids doesn't have pebbles, they are a large size ovoid.

When I burned the small ovoids from EG, they got stuck in the grate of my Charmwood and I couldn't riddle the fire. The only way to overcome this was to close the grate (like for burning wood) but then the ovoids didn't burn correctly.

I see you bought Hayes Hi Heat, which is a mix of Lignite nuggets and Calco, which are the pebbles.

I remember reading about my Charnwood not recommending the use of Calco (Pet coke) in the stove as it can burn through the grate.

Maybe a way to over come the pebbles fall through the grate would be to use the Lignite nuggets as a bottom layer in the fire and then add a mix of nugget and calco pebbles on top.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,287 ✭✭✭jmreire

If you have a look at post 3551 back a page or so, thats what i have. i have a Charnwood 16B stove,( great stove BTW) and its ( by this stage anyway) permanently in the closed position, yet some of the "pebbles" manage to fall through it into the twin pans, so their is enough air passing thtrough it anyway, and I burn lots of wood. Maybe I'll go for the Hayes smokeless for next winter? They worked out fine for you?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Galw1

Normally use Easyglow (triple heat in solid fuel Stanley Oisin) but not getting a response in last week or so when contacting them - what are the next best option(s) cost/heat wise?

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭Dec4

Just ordered a tonne of Ovoids from CW, still €340.

However they can now arrange delivery through Wardes directly for an additional €80. So a little less hassle.

@ €420 delivered - you can probably get a tonne cheaper but I have yet to find coal south of the border which is better quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

€485 for a ton of stove glow from Patrick Murphy's in Cork. It's quite similar to CW's ovoids based on 2 bags I got a few years back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Bif

Has anybody got a delivery of CW ovoid's recently...how were they quality wise? Thanks.

Got some in September and have been using them since then. Some were a bit wet at the top of the bags but they dried in the bunker and as good as anything I got from them previously. Hopefully they lower the price over the Summer and I will get another ton. Was looking at MDO'Shea's coal recently purely out of interest . They charge a deposit of €20 or so on the pallet. I guess that's the Kerry crew out and out they'd charge for rain water if they could get away with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭mikehn

Advice please, I discovered the shed that I keep my ovoids in has a small leak. Luckily nothing serious but one bag has been affected by water for about 12 months. I only discovered it when I was tidying things up prior to placing an order for this year. I woder if they are ok to use as is or would it be better to hold off and gradually mix them in with new ones. They dont seem to have absorbed water. If it was coal I would have no issue but not sure with the ovoids. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭El Nino09

I got a ton pallet of ovoids in late December , Really disappointed with them . Each bag used so far is about 10% slack like substance plus there is a lack of heat from them and loads of ash the next morning . I have been using CW for last 6 or 7 years but this is my first bad batch . I have been on to them and they are looking into it . Anyone else had same problems ?

Had wet Ovoids previously put them into a metal bucket in the boiler house for a week or two until they dried out they were fine after that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,504 ✭✭✭✭vectra

I bought a few times from the EG, but gave up. I couldn,t keep the glass or chimney clean.

I now get my ovoids from Smyths fuels Rathcormac.

I also get a few bags of smokeless singles, the ovoids burn to pure ash, the singles can leas a small amount of cinders but nothing worth moaning about.

Glass stays almost clear, very happy with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,047 ✭✭✭mikeecho

Looking at buying from Coal Warehouse again .

What's better for an open fire in a rural area (smokey coal allowed)

Polish (270) or Columbian (340)

Not too worried about the price, just need a good coal for an open fire

• Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭reubenreuben

Been ordering from CW for years. Haven't noticed any difference in quality recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭dollylama

If I'm not mistaken, they introduced a slightly cheaper ovoid option when they announced their last price increase. Is it possible you inadvertently ordered the cheaper stuff.. "Union ovoids" I think they were called

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

I got ovoids and Colombian coal from them before and the ovoids turned to pure muck with no heat and loads of ash and the coal was like painted stones, total waste of money and they wanted €2 a bag to deliver even if I ordered 25 bags when I made enquiries, I was glad I got a couple of test bags

I’d never go there again, if I was buying local it would be the co op because they are consistent in quality

The internet isn’t for everyone

Just tried a bag of CW ovoids (delivered this week) as a check...

They are absolutely fine- usual good quality - certainly more heat that some of the alternatives available locally. At €10.50 a bag (25kg) delivered they are hard to beat.

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Bif

Thanks Dec4. Good to hear. They are on the way! I’ll post feedback ASAP.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭podge3

After 5 different types of ovoid over the last few years, I finally found an ovoid that actually burns and leaves little ash i.e. Homefire Supertherm. I got 2 bags last weekend and was delighted to see that they actually burned OK. I'll probably get about half a tonne or so locally now, I can't be arsed with getting from the North anymore. After 4 deliveries of dodgy product from up there, I don't think I'll be buying from there again.

I'm still waiting for a resolution on the 800KG I purchased from the Co-op Superstore, hoping for refund shortly. Paypal were useless, apparently buying coal that does not burn is not covered under their "item not as described" policy. I was informed its "buyers remorse", go figure🙄.

We have been using a couple of bags of that Homefire Supertherm lately and the Boss is convinced that there is much more heat from the CW ovoids. Both last approximately same length of time and produce much the same amount of ash.

I have to agree with her on this one...😉

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭podge3

After 2 bad batches of ovoids from CW, I can't see myself dealing there again. The quality of their product is too inconsistent.

A ton of the Supertherm should be about €480, so €60 more than CW.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,504 ✭✭✭✭vectra

I recall you saying that some time back alright.

But if you are ever passing their door it would be worth your while to pick up a 20gk of ovoids to try. Much better than the blend they had back then.

I have a pallet and a half of easy glow ovoids so I’m good for 2 seasons

Post edited by OmegaGene on

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Kachukas

Anyone have a current pricelist for Coalwarehouse Ovoids please? Delivery to Wexford also.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 987 ✭✭✭ekevosu

Can anyone recommend delivery companies they use for their tonne of coal from the North...delivery would be to Kildare. And what cost should we be looking at €60?

Coal Warehouse price increase on the way.

Price Alert

Due to unprecedented events all coal products will rise by €40 per tonne.

We will be reviewing prices and stock daily until Monday.

We had hoped to hold price to Monday 14th but unfortunately this may not be possible.

Get your orders in while old stock lasts.

As you know we always try to give you as much notice as possible but this time this hasn’t been possible but please note our prices will still be the cheapest in Ireland and we hope that you understand that we had no option in rising prices earlier than first thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭reubenreuben

• Registered Users Posts: 8,287 ✭✭✭jmreire

Same here, ordered 1 ton of Ovids Tuesday €340 + €80 transport, so €420. 1st time buying these Ovids from CW, so hope that they will work out OK. There's one or two negative comments about them on here, but lots of positive posts too. We will see.

the way i look at it is if all the coal was pure muck they would go bust very quickly, they have the odd person complaining the same as easyglow so i am sure they will be fine

• Advertisement

I'm on the fence about ordering tbh. I've enough to do this year and most of next winter. Another ton would keep me going until 2025. I could well bite....

Advertisement