Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

U2 Innocence & Experience Tour 2015 (Dublin and Belfast gigs confirmed, post #275)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭tritriagain

Bono has often said he would dine with the devil to achieve his goals for africa. I was and still sometimes sceptical of his allegiances ( as I believe he is) but when you look at what he has achieved through his fame I don't think any who criticised have done their fair share. I know I haven't . he could have sat back on a yacht and lived the life but no one can argue that he has put in a huge effort for his adopted cause. On the commercial end of it, that really doesn't bother me at all. U2 are a business. All professional musicians are. Doesn't mean you can't be true to your art. Enough of this Kurt Cobain nonsense I don't want to be famous, I want us to stay small,etc if you don't want to be famous and people to listen to your records become a fisherman.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Wooderson

I couldn't give a fiddlers about the commercial/media/political activity or otherwise. Just wish they could vary their setlists and show a little flexibility to match the emotional heft of current tour. That isn't really their strength I spose.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Great gig Music wise but the venue just wasn't up to the show.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,661 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Charlie19 wrote: »
    Great gig Music wise but the venue just wasn't up to the show.

Why do you say that ?
    I know a number of people who saw the show in Dublin and abroad and they thought it worked much better in Dublin as the e stage was much nearer the main stage and Bono wasn't isolated from the band as much as in other venues.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

I was standing and could have been stood in any arena to be honest. Once the band start playing all that stuff was forgotten about, I'm sure it was a different experience sat in the stands

• Advertisement

Anyone else agree with me when I say that there was no need for the main stage in Dublin and using the e stage for most of the show would have been a much better experience for the vast majority of the audience ?

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭weadick

Anyone else agree with me when I say that there was no need for the main stage in Dublin and using the e stage for most of the show would have been a much better experience for the vast majority of the audience ?

Yeah I'd agree to an extent. I liked the first four songs and the attempt to recreate the type of club show they did in their early days. But the e-stage section of the show seemed too short, I think they could have done an extra song or two from there.

Another thing I didn't like was them keeping Invisable for the entire tour when another song like Zoo Station for example would have been ideal for that particular part of the show.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Why do you say that ?
    I know a number of people who saw the show in Dublin and abroad and they thought it worked much better in Dublin as the e stage was much nearer the main stage and Bono wasn't isolated from the band as much as in other venues.

I didn't think arena was big enough for that big screen and the stage itself could of done with being raised a couple of feet higher, so people at the back of the standing area could actually see the guys perform.

I'll never go to the point again, if I cant obtain seated tickets.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Veloce

I'm having serious concert withdrawals. Those gigs were absolutely brilliant in my opinion. Dublin was special but I really enjoyed Belfast - the venue was tiny in comparison to the O2 and 3Arena! Probably the smallest venue I'll ever see U2 play at - a welcome change from the huge stadium performances.

Same here, on a bit of a downer now knowing I won't see them again for a few years probably. What a tour. So much better than 360 or Vertigo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,884 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Dunno how many times I cycled to Dundrum shopping centre (the old one) from Holylands to buy singles and 12" singles like Kraftwerk and Human league then cycle back up the hill wondering what the b side might be like. Also cycled to Tallaght town centre ( remember that place, had a market upstairs) to buy Magical mystery tour LP, Cycled into town for some Bob Marley (golden discs?) and UB40 (tower records) Present Arms with the bonus 12", still have it (the LP not the bike). Happy Days, 2 hours of pacman in Barney's then round to ( was it golden discs?) on marlborough street for the odd LP and a 10 pack of agfa cassettes oh yeah.

Dolphin discs

The height of the "i" stage was a problem in London and Glasgow aswell.

I said it to a few lads. I think they could do a whole show from the e stage in the point. Im not sure though they could do that show though, but a simple bring it back to basics accustic show, one for the fans, lots of stuff that might not be so well known, none of the bullets or sundays and more of the ultravilots and homecomings.

Not sure it would work so well in big areanas but could be a class performance in the point, and it would be even better if they could something with the floor to make it slope down to give those at the back a better view. Think it was brixton academy i was it that was like that, saw the waterboys there :)...... Now who mentioned fishermen :D

Seve OB wrote: »
    I said it to a few lads. I think they could do a whole show from the e stage in the point. Im not sure though they could do that show though, but a simple bring it back to basics accustic show, one for the fans, lots of stuff that might not be so well known, none of the bullets or sundays and more of the ultravilots and homecomings.

Not sure it would work so well in big areanas but could be a class performance in the point, and it would be even better if they could something with the floor to make it slope down to give those at the back a better view. Think it was brixton academy i was it that was like that, saw the waterboys there :)...... Now who mentioned fishermen :D

People have wanted this from U2 for decades. They claimed they would do something like this at the outset of the tour announcement themselves only to fall back to the Cirque du Soleil routine.

Well it looks like a live performance of people got the power is on the cards for Paris.

Also heard a rumour the band who were hit with the bombings are lined up as special guests,

Seve OB wrote: »

I definitely think a full gig on the e stage would be epic.
    You could feel the crowds energy rise when they performed on the e stage ,the songs they performed there were the highlight of the show for me both nights I attended.

Yes I noticed that it was hard to see the main stage from alot of places on the floor,poor design ,a slight slope would have been ideal.
    I never saw so many tall people there Tuesday night and it was hard to see stuff on the main stage ,and I am not small .
    Saturday night was much better view wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭innuendo141

Anyone watch Patti join them on stage last night? Was listening to U2brothrs milr for a while last night but turned it off at WTSHNN.

Ordinary Love sounded good.

• Registered Users Posts: 42,084 ✭✭✭✭Scorpion Sting

Anyone watch Patti join them on stage last night? Was listening to U2brothrs milr for a while last night but turned it off at WTSHNN.

Yeah saw her on a periscope, she really gave it socks.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,075 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

is this u2brothr a millionaire or something ??? he seems to be at every u2 show. I saw a online movie about him on youtube and he went to something like 20 360 tour shows.

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭RolandGoose

Streets of Surrender;

Every man has two cities he needs to be
    The one he can touch
    And the one he can't see
    The one where a stranger's a friend
    Every man has got one city of liberty
    For me it's Paris, I love it
    Every time I get lost down these ancient streets I find myself again

You're free, baby, baby
    Free now and forever
    It's Christmas time
    You can decide to forget or to remember
    You're free, baby, baby
    I didn't come down here to fight ya
    I came down these streets of love and pride to surrender
    The streets of surrender

I heard a farfetched story
    That nobody seems to know
    I think it was about that stranger
    It was youth, it was love and it was danger
    It was winter with that warm it gets before the snow
    It chilled my soul
    Everybody's crying about some kid
    That they found lying on a beach
    Born in a manger

You're free, baby, baby
    Free now and forever
    It's Christmas time
    You're free, baby, baby
    The streets of surrender

My word these lyrics are apailingly cringe worthy! From the reports that I have heard last night in Paris, Bono's speech play inbetween songs is diabolical! Even in Dublin the stuff he was saying was pathetic! A very good show, but my word is Bono losing his marbles?!?

• Advertisement

One of the highlights of this tour for me has been the fact that there is relatively little crap-talk from Bono through the show. If I had to hear one more thing about that woman under house arrest in Burma or space travel (ffs) during 360 I would have gone crazy. Same with the Vertigo tour and Africa (they even ruined the intro to Streets with it). On this tour Bono seems to let the music do the talking for the most part which is just as well as he does talk some ****e when he opens his mouth.

Lyrically I think he has been in severe decline as a writer for a long time. Most of his worst lyrics can be found on the last couple of albums.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭6am7f9zxrsjvnb

Streets of Surrender;

Every man has two cities he needs to be
    The one he can touch
    And the one he can't see
    The one where a stranger's a friend
    Every man has got one city of liberty
    For me it's Paris, I love it
    Every time I get lost down these ancient streets I find myself again

You're free, baby, baby
    Free now and forever
    It's Christmas time
    You're free, baby, baby
    The streets of surrender

I heard a farfetched story
    That nobody seems to know
    I think it was about that stranger
    It was youth, it was love and it was danger
    It was winter with that warm it gets before the snow
    It chilled my soul
    Everybody's crying about some kid
    That they found lying on a beach
    Born in a manger

You're free, baby, baby
    Free now and forever
    It's Christmas time
    You're free, baby, baby
    The streets of surrender

My word these lyrics are apailingly cringe worthy! From the reports that I have heard last night in Paris, Bono's speech play inbetween songs is diabolical! Even in Dublin the stuff he was saying was pathetic! A very good show, but my word is Bono losing his marbles?!?

Yeah..I think he lost them around 1978 or thereabouts.

Would love an 'E-Stage' gig with no video screens and comprising of songs from the first four albums only..They could keep the lightbulb though.

I see they've ditched the 'rotational' second song for the HBO special in Paris tonight.A crying shame as 'The Electric Co.' was the definite highlight of the last night in Dublin.

PTH2009 wrote: »
    is this u2brothr a millionaire or something ??? he seems to be at every u2 show. I saw a online movie about him on youtube and he went to something like 20 360 tour shows.

I have a genuine love for most of the band's music but why anyone would want to attend multiple gigs of this tour is beyond me.
    The other three must feel like they're Bill Murray when Bono's trotting out the identical wedding party spiel night after night.

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭miketv

Nice end to the tour in Paris giving the stage to eagles of death metal for the final song.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

I have a genuine love for most of the band's music but why anyone would want to attend multiple gigs of this tour is beyond me.
    The other three must feel like they're Bill Murray when Bono's trotting out the identical wedding party spiel night after night.

yep, it's almost like going seeing the same film repeatedly. Maybe even worse as you might forget parts of the film. They all knows these songs and the choreography and scripting off by heart. I regretted going to the Dublin shows as it was just a sub par version of the Amsterdam one. These people are insane god luv em, they go to every one of the shows and even stand in the same spot. Barmy army.

miketv wrote: »
    Nice end to the tour in Paris giving the stage to eagles of death metal for the final song.

A really nice touch from U2. Like when they played New York after 9/11 and brought members of the NY Fire Dept on stage. Say what you like about their music and Bonos bull****tery but they always seem to hit the right notes at times of tragedy.

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭loadwire

yep, it's almost like going seeing the same film repeatedly. Maybe even worse as you might forget parts of the film. They all knows these songs and the choreography and scripting off by heart. I regretted going to the Dublin shows as it was just a sub par version of the Amsterdam one. These people are insane god luv em, they go to every one of the shows and even stand in the same spot. Barmy army.

I met a few American girls in Dublin who had been at 13 concerts on this tour .
    Very nice girls but I just told them that twice would be enough for me as the show was very similar each night and it was too predictable .
    Then they started asking me how many times I'd seen U2 ,they said they had been at 26 gigs ,they were keeping track .:pac:
    I've been at every tour since Zoo tv ,usually twice each tour .

Its a very expensive hobby as well following the band around and going to all the gigs ,I thought U2 asking 200 euro for most of the seats in Dublin was extortion to be honest ,the boys are hardly short of a few pound at this stage.
    These bands are making fools of alot of their fans with the prices they are charging ,it leaves a sour taste in the mouth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,355 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Advertisement