Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

U2 Innocence & Experience Tour 2015 (Dublin and Belfast gigs confirmed, post #275)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Maggiemay12

Was at the concerts standing on Monday and last night .the word I describe them both is uplifting have no favourite night ..appreciated I got to go there and at face value prices..himself was happy to have a few words with Dave Fanning last night who was standing next to us and who seemed a good sport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭6am7f9zxrsjvnb

I got there at 6.30 and was able to secure a place at the front on Adam's side.I was ecstatic at the prospect of watching them within spitting distance - even got a few drops of Bono's holy water during 'Until the end of the World'.

I jumped,danced,whooped and hollered through the whole thing and had a great time,but....something wasn't right.

Was up the front in Croker at Vertigo '05 and was physically and emotionally drained after it.I'm always blown away by the 'Red Rocks' and 'Zoo TV from Sydney' live shows.

Last night was the sight of a band going through the meticulously choreographed motions.Adam and Larry seemed utterly bored throughout.
    Bono is a peerless showman,but the fevered energy and the need to prove himself were absent last night. It was all so...relaxed.

Of course,I have no right to expect a bunch of guys in their mid-fifties to play with the energy and fire of their 80s/90s pomp.

The songs won the day.I shouldn't have expected more..maybe I don't like to admit we're not getting any younger!

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭starWave

Last night was the sight of a band going through the meticulously choreographed motions.Adam and Larry seemed utterly bored throughout.
    Bono is a peerless showman,but the fevered energy and the need to prove himself were absent last night. It was all so...relaxed.

I was up close on Friday night and it can be a bit dry for the choreographed songs at that range. When Edge and Adam walk around for the unchoreographed songs they seem to enjoy it more, and feed of the energy of the crowd. Hope the next tour is outdoors, as there was better atmosphere at the 360 shows.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,661 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

I jumped,danced,whooped and hollered through the whole thing and had a great time,but....something wasn't right.

Was up the front in Croker at Vertigo '05 and was physically and emotionally drained after it.I'm always blown away by the 'Red Rocks' and 'Zoo TV from Sydney' live shows.

Yeah ,its a highly rehearsed and safe show ,its too predictable.
    The same speech each night ,the same jokes,even asking for the Irish flag on the same song ,its all too rehearsed for my liking,a bit of spontaneity would be nice.
    It wouldnt kill Larry to break out a smile once in a while or maybe do a drum solo ,he is like a robot ,no personality .
    Only one change in last nights setlist from Tuesday too .

I went last night too and was right beside the b stage on Adams side .
    Walked in around 7.45 and got a really good spot, so handy,outdoors turning up you'd be miles back if you turned up so late.

The show started with ferocious energy ,the crowd were really up for it and the first 4 songs were brilliant.
    Then the trio of new songs Iris,Cedarwood Road and A Song for Someone totally killed the atmosphere,they are crowd killers ,like a lead balloon .

The new version of Sunday Bloody Sunday,one of my favourite songs, is poor ,its far too slow and Raised by Wolves is decent but no classic .
    Until the End of the World raised the tempo again to end the first act.

For the second act the band stepped it up a few gears ,just like Tuesday night ,and the action on the E stage is by far the highlight of the show .
    I honestly dont know why they cant perform the whole show from there and ditch the main stage.
    A full concert from the E stage would be epic .

The second act was going along nicely but hit a bit of a speedbump .
    Every Breaking Wave and October together dont really work ,they are too mournful ,I'm not a fan of the acoustic version of every Breaking Wave ,the original version from the 360 tour is far superior
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wap_eBUJO4
    Bullet the Blue Sky,never liked that song to be honest .

The last 7 songs though,cant argue with them ,crowd loved them all .
    Really nice crowd there last night,no messers or piss heads.

I think the staging and the visuals of this tour is superb and allows people to see the band up really close,better than any tour I've seen but its let down by the setlist, there are too many weak songs ,especially the new ones and it all seems a bit too safe.

Bonos voice wasnt the best last night either and he was struggling to keep up with some of the faster songs.

3arena is a great venue though

• Registered Users Posts: 20,823 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Nice post MisterAnarchy

But, not sure at that age they can go full out like they do in The Electric Co for 2 hours +

I like the new songs and the slow songs - But I'm a bit soft :D

But from talking to other fans and looking at people at crowd - they love some of the slower emotional songs.

I mean Every breaking wave in its current format - is considered a classic before it has even got started.

By the way - I love accoustic anything - and love when Bono and Edge, do something like that.

So - I guess, different for everyone .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,661 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Nice post MisterAnarchy

But, not sure at that age they can go full out like they do in The Electric Co for 2 hours +

I like the new songs and the slow songs - But I'm a bit soft :D

But from talking to other fans and looking at people at crowd - they love some of the slower emotional songs.

I mean Every breaking wave in its current format - is considered a classic before it has even got started.

By the way - I love accoustic anything - and love when Bono and Edge, do something like that.

So - I guess, different for everyone .

Thanks

Don't get me wrong I like the slower songs too ,Ultraviolet ,Kite,Stuck in a Moment,Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own ,Yahweh are all superb songs I loved on the recent tours and I'd rank them all miles ahead of any of the slower stuff on the new album.

I've no issue with slowing it down if the songs are decent.
    I just felt the new songs like Iris,Cedarwood Road ,A Song for Someone and Every Breaking Wave didn't connect with the crowd .
    I'd love to have heard The Troubles though,best song on the new album by far.

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭musicmania

A few photos from last night.

Someone flagged this interview to me last night....

Was very sound of Bono to do this for Tony at that time.

Sort of linking to other thread - Jaysus , Bono has some mind, just realising how good a speaker he is. Funny etc.

I'd say Bono - dose a lot of sound stuff , we don't know about.

Don't want this week to end - sadly is.

Just listened to it - class interview.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭lyoness

I was onto innuendo yesterday - absolute legend of a bloke, I got myself sorted for tickets in end - but he went above and beyond.

Real U2 fans are sound blokes :D:p

I got a face value GA from another member last week!! Good deed of the year
    It seems Friday night was the night to go to hear my fave Gloria... But tues was 99% perfect

• Registered Users Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Pepp1989

I must say that hearing every breaking wave on Friday night made the gig for me. Love the song and to hear it live was a huge treat. I never got it when people said "you've got to hear it live" but now I do. I loved the gig. A great experience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,074 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Someone flagged this interview to me last night....

Was very sound of Bono to do this for Tony at that time.

Sort of linking to other thread - Jaysus , Bono has some mind, just realising how good a speaker he is. Funny etc.

I'd say Bono - dose a lot of sound stuff , we don't know about.

Don't want this week to end - sadly is.

Just listened to it - class interview.

How much time does Bono spend In Ireland when he's not fronting U2. It would be usunsual to imagine him walking into tesco in Dublin and Just doing normal things. Joe Elliot singer in def leppard lives in Dublin too

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

I'd disagree with those who are suggesting that the fact that I&E is "relaxed" is a sign of something going wrong or the band getting old and un-enegretic - they've been saying throughout the preparations for this tour that they were intentionally stripping down the show, going indoors and to smaller venues, and playing with a different style, more acoustic songs etc because they'd done the massive, hurricane in a stadium kind of show for decades and wanted a change. So I highly doubt that this was anything other than intentional.

As I've said, I just wonder what it means for the future of U2 touring. They're on record as saying that this feels right to them and that they're enjoying this tour and the format of it more than any of their other recent tours, but if they're going to permanently slim-down the size of their shows, it does mean that in future they'll have to play more gigs in each city, or disappoint large numbers of fans. I'm interested to see what, if any, kind of middle ground they can figure out in this regard.

I'd disagree with those who are suggesting that the fact that I&E is "relaxed" is a sign of something going wrong or the band getting old and un-enegretic - they've been saying throughout the preparations for this tour that they were intentionally stripping down the show, going indoors and to smaller venues, and playing with a different style, more acoustic songs etc because they'd done the massive, hurricane in a stadium kind of show for decades and wanted a change. So I highly doubt that this was anything other than intentional.

As I've said, I just wonder what it means for the future of U2 touring. They're on record as saying that this feels right to them and that they're enjoying this tour and the format of it more than any of their other recent tours, but if they're going to permanently slim-down the size of their shows, it does mean that in future they'll have to play more gigs in each city, or disappoint large numbers of fans. I'm interested to see what, if any, kind of middle ground they can figure out in this regard.

Whilst I agree with your post - The one downer of the last few weeks - which have been a permanent high......

Is that the logical conclusion to above is more $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

U2 have sort of given away their own control, going with live nation ?

The **** that went on this week / Irish Tour and the 500 euro ticket laugh reminded me of like some promotion dude that does vegas getting the U2 gig.

That stuff is not on in Dublin , their so called home town.

Bono always claimed he loved that the Irish keep him grounded - but the ticketing and pricing for this was bollix.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,074 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Imagine if they called it a day next year and they all moved on with other things. Then in 2020 they get back together for a massive world tour

If Bono left U2 then U2 would die because no one could replace him.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Whilst I agree with your post - The one downer of the last few weeks - which have been a permanent high......

Is that the logical conclusion to above is more $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

U2 have sort of given away their own control, going with live nation ?

The **** that went on this week / Irish Tour and the 500 euro ticket laugh reminded me of like some promotion dude that does vegas getting the U2 gig.

That stuff is not on in Dublin , their so called home town.

Bono always claimed he loved that the Irish keep him grounded - but the ticketing and pricing for this was bollix.

Was it any worse than previous tours though? Tickets for Croker etc were pretty pricey as well. And with such a vastly reduced audience compared with sold out stadium gigs, the band are surely earning less from this tour than from bigger ones (assuming of course that the cost to the band of playing a venue like the 3 aren't astronomically less than playing a stadium, which would offset the smaller audience)

• Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭lambayire

This one has been churning around in my head since the gig on Tuesday.

What is the fu*king point in the constant use of phones/tablets at gigs?
    Do folk actually watch the videos back with the crap sound quality?

We had one chap in front of who must have taken video of 12 songs from the fairly restricted view Block D.
    He never even took his coat off and it was hot up there.
    His missus disappeared for about an hour. Just odd.

I'd let you away with videoing 1 song - perhaps.
    But this constant use of the phone is just depressing.

Put the phone down. Enjoy the gig. Savour the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

lambayire wrote: »
    This one has been churning around in my head since the gig on Tuesday.

What is the fu*king point in the constant use of phones/tablets at gigs?
    Do folk actually watch the videos back with the crap sound quality?

We had one chap in front of who must have taken video of 12 songs from the fairly restricted view Block D.
    He never even took his coat off and it was hot up there.
    His missus disappeared for about an hour. Just odd.

I'd let you away with videoing 1 song - perhaps.
    But this constant use of the phone is just depressing.

Put the phone down. Enjoy the gig. Savour the moment.

I like watching them on youtube, often much more realistic and personal from the crowd view than any touched up official live recording, so leave them at it I say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

Still recovering :D

Firstly, me and my mates got way too drunk, so that somewhat spoilt our enjoyment of the gig (and probably the poor people around us!).

But I was kinda disappointed. It was never gonna live up to the hype in my head. I'd never been to the 3Arena and I wasn't that impressed. It's too...............wide?! The wide open bits under the stands seem to suck the atmosphere out.

The crowd was very laid back and somewhat boring too where we were.

I enjoyed Amsterdam much more. Felt the show worked a lot better. In fairness it doesn't really stand up to repeat viewing either as it is so scripted.

I also thought the band seemed a bit tired. Perhaps Friday night took it out of them. I'd rather have had One AND Bad/40 instead of Panti bloomin bliss and Imelda too!

No doubt they put on a fantastic show. Just felt Amsterdam was better in almost every way. If I hadn't seen that I guess I would have been naturally way more pleased, so can understand first timers gushing over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭newdigi

as a U2 fan for years and years I've been to a fair few of their gigs both home and abroad.

one thing they have always done well is a Live performance. The Irish audience is always, always a much livelier audience than anywhere I have seen the abroad and this year was no exception.

There was so much I liked about this tour, especially the sound in the 3 Arena, which was second to none. The guys on the sound desks did an incredible job. I know that Joe'OHerlihy is the main man when it comes to their sound, but I believe there were a few local contractors working on the sound last week too. So fair play to them, it was the best I have heard at any gig I've been to.

Now for the negative......
    It's hard for me to speak negatively about a U2 performance. One of the things down through the years I have loved about U2 live is the relative spontaneity. After a song on previous tours, Bono may waffle for a bit but then they would break into a song that wasn't necessarily on the setlist. For example in Dublin years past it was The Auld Triangle, Dirty Old Town etc. Bad at Live Aid went on for a long time due to Bono's headline grabbing antics etc, etc.

There was little or none of this on this tour. It was so heavily choreagraphed.
    Now I do realise and do presume that probably the majority of concerts these days are like that. For example I heard that during this tour, timing 'bips' come into the band members earpieces to let them know when to come in. So I guess that doesn't allow for a whole lot of ad-libbing.

It's a shame as I think it's those moments of spontaneity that can make a show.

Maybe i'm just getting old and naive!

Nah I think you are right. It's great to see once. But if you are aware of it, and how scripted it is, it does take away from the "uniqueness" of the show. It's more a broadway show than a gig in truth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Nah I think you are right. It's great to see once. But if you are aware of it, and how scripted it is, it does take away from the "uniqueness" of the show. It's more a broadway show than a gig in truth.

They need to beef up the show because the new songs are so weak. A big screen is a welcome distraction from that terrible, terrible Joey Ramone tune as an opener.

The Nal wrote: »
    They need to beef up the show because the new songs are so weak. A big screen is a welcome distraction from that terrible, terrible Joey Ramone tune as an opener.

at the start of the tour I was a bit dubious about Joey Ramone being the opener but it actually worked very well at the gigs I went to.

was actually one of the few moments in the gigs where the crowd were encouraged to sing solo, and that for me always helps the atmosphere.

The Miracle is bog average for sure. Song For Someone is very meh. Every Breaking Wave is far better with the full band. But I love Iris and Raised By Wolves! Cedarwood Road works better live too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭secondrowgal

Ciaran_B wrote: »
    Just fans. There were about 10 people near me scoping it last night.

At the start of the show I was so pissed off and upset by the number of phones up in the air in front of me - I actually couldn't see anything because of all the fecking phones and I was close enough to the stage. But fair play, they took them down after a couple of mins and they were only up again intermittently.

But I suppose it's just the nature of gigs now, but I agree with the poster who says just enjoy the moment and leave the fecking phone in your pocket!

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭loadwire

newdigi wrote: »
    For example I heard that during this tour, timing 'bips' come into the band members earpieces to let them know when to come in. So I guess that doesn't allow for a whole lot of ad-libbing.

Interesting. On Friday they ended with Bad/One. At the end of Bad the atmosphere was just amazing. There was a real 'moment' with the crowd singing back at Bono but in the middle of it, Edge kicked straight into One which jarred a bit. I thought it was weird at the time but something like timing bips or cues would explain it (they finished bang on the curfew...). Bono actually made it work by letting the crowd take the vocals for the first half of One, kept the atmosphere going.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Was at the concerts standing on Monday and last night .the word I describe them both is uplifting have no favourite night ..appreciated I got to go there and at face value prices..himself was happy to have a few words with Dave Fanning last night who was standing next to us and who seemed a good sport.

I have a Dave Fanning story from Saturday but it was more me being a drunken eejit and him doing me in. He walked by and I say to my friends "ah, what's his name again", they took the piss out of me pretending not to know, or maybe they actually didn't, followed him to the lift, got in and say, "ah I couldn't remember your name" or something to that effect. Sounded perfectly alright in my head but probably came across quite rude.

His response was to just say "Marty Whelan" and run out of the lift, which I got back up in shame :o

loadwire wrote: »
    Bono actually made it work by letting the crowd take the vocals for the first half of One, kept the atmosphere going.

:pac: Unfortunately the "let the crowd sing One" is also scripted and they do it at all the shows:P

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭mrk75

No doubt the dancing girl is selected before the show, it's always an overly confident American / Canadian who performs exactly as the band wish.

I reckon the selection is done before the show and agreed upon with the participant. Most of them are pretty damn poor at recording the band during the following song tho! (With the exception of Monday night)

The show is heavily coreographed, Bono goes off on tangents which smash into dead ends, going for the soft applause is pretty cringe worthy!

However this is a show which showcases how solid of a band U2 are, I can't think of a band that put on a show of that strength! Musically speaking, the bells an whistles of the stage set up are so so for me!

Nah, I think they're genuinely just picked on the night but the girls are generally queuing early to get a spot by the barrier and have probably been watching all the other videos of girls dancing with Bono over the years during the same song so are kinda prepped in that way.

I think it was Belfast where the girls had nearly a full belly-dancer costume and all with her.

Kinda strange....but that made it all the better to see Panti up on Saturday. One - a local. Two - she absolutely killed it and hopefully disappointed some of the weird wanabe dancers making eyes at Bono from the front row all night....

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭mrk75

Seve OB wrote: »

Invisible really really really growing on me. The more i hear it the better it gets and it is a brilliant part of the show.

There is no them

Edit.........oh yea and 40........ Like a pig in **** :D

I hear ya. Invisible a great tune. Proof they've still got it.

• Advertisement

loadwire wrote: »
    Interesting. On Friday they ended with Bad/One. At the end of Bad the atmosphere was just amazing. There was a real 'moment' with the crowd singing back at Bono but in the middle of it, Edge kicked straight into One which jarred a bit. I thought it was weird at the time but something like timing bips or cues would explain it (they finished bang on the curfew...). Bono actually made it work by letting the crowd take the vocals for the first half of One, kept the atmosphere going.

yep. noticed this at the gigs i went to/watched online.
    they began the next song right on cue, so not letting the crowd sing on.

As someone mentioned, the crowd singing One also appeares to be scripted as it was the same at all the gigs where they played One.

Advertisement