Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

project 40/41

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

nice easy week
    good amount of stretching
    3 bikes ( 1 turbo)
    1 brick session
    3 easy swims
    1 steady hard swim with tango
    2 runs

I asked coach gordo about 200 times this week if he thinks that i have lost weight and he confirmed it 200 times ;-) ( so i guess iam going well ...)
    not sure if the 2 bottles of wine he had to bring this week for 2 lost bets are helping. but I have deicded to open them only when iam half way and at goal race weight ( that could be 2016 ;-).

good solid week
    the first good runs since begining of may
    5 swims
    2 turbos
    and 2 long bikes ( enjoyed the tea break)
    behaved well on sugar intake.
    apart from swim all good.

good week so far.and even the swim looks like is comming back, slowly but it seems the tide has turned ;-0.
    run coming on a bit faster than i was hoping so this is a good thing
    and the weight loss is starting to manifestitslef in the run.

Overall back in the zone and enjoy the training again, and hit every key session better this week than i had planned.

Not much else to say apart from how nice it is to train in this weather.

good weekend
    friday pm swim and run

sat very tough 4 hour bike hill rep session. totally spend after and no point doing another session pm .

this is where we are in the sport a few drops of rain and people start to cry- few guys that went to roundwood reported a few showers but otherwise great conditons - . so had to do session indoors ( not bad at all to be fair as i saw tri perfection by jan frodeno while turboing ( watching him was a bit like watching federer at his best just a joy ) in my mind the best performance outside hawaii ever- . the 2014 and 2013 world champ destroyed ( at the same time I think for being the current world champ and all the media work that this entails i think kienle did very well and will have boecherer as an ally in hawaii)
    Ryf was also rocksolid too and in my mind we saw both the female and male hawaii winners y day ( i think frodeno is pure talend but kinele is pure drive and it will be interesting in kona - advantage frodeno.

pm 2 hour run

mon swim since i finished long run a 10pm i didn t feel that great in the pool but after 12 x 50 i asked my self do i want to be a wanabe or pb and i really pushed myself to the limit and was totally out of order after each of them struggling to breath. after 20 gordo told me 2 more ... i tried to argue for a few seconds, but since he is the boss during the session and swam over 20k last week to support me. i just did as i was told . glad i did as i still had another 33 and 34 sec interval in me ( times i have not hit since end of april)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Trucking along nicely Peter. What's up next?

• Advertisement

next up is the next training session... and another 500g of weight loss.
    step by step.

another good few days
    improving swims i really have to push as it dosnt come easy but times are defo getting faster
    very good tough brick session MS 10 16 4, 10 16 4, 15 12 3, 15 12 pace av approx3.35. 55x16-17 , bare the last set really loved it.
    and a solid 60 min run at various speeds covering 16.2 k , last 10 min not so much fun but overall enjoyable. left calf was a bit dogy before start but run on grass and took care at corners , no issues. tiredness from run just ok today and calf fine.
    the rest all easy stuff.
    hill rep bike session tomorrow is the one session iam looking least forward.
    diet still good.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Positive stuff, great to read.

MojoMaker wrote: »
    Positive stuff, great to read.

Facebook, where we can make our lives look so much better.
    wrote one of my australien mates who is in girona working with australien triathletes.

the truth is I have to be positive as we have have a "llorador" competiton between me and gordo and the person whinning most during the week has to pay the carrot cake that gordo keeps for my weekly sweet ration ( 1 slice every 2 days )
    complaining about the weather before the session 1 whining point , crying during the session another, and not finishing the session 1 point. ( gordo had to pay last 2 weeks)

anyway
    another 13 hours done last weekend
    sat hill reps session was shi.e but the 2 hour sat pm run , bike ride and 30 min fast run on sunday good

mon swim felt bad at the begining got into a rythem ended up lying on the pool deack after the set but afterwards felt v tired but happy to have this out of the way as it is the 2nd worst session of the week .

overall good week
    the thur key run session was 1 sec per k quicker than last week despite having done and extra turbo session on wed and going into session more fatiqued . middle part tough but after 10 k it got better again.

tue 10 4.4 k 15.57 15 2.2 7,33 last k 3.10 13 3.3 11.43 last k 3.16

only bad session so far friday swim fell asleep after alarm clock rang .( must not finish training at 10,20 pm again ) still 5 x 200 in 2.47 average of 3.05

rest all good

weight 3 kg down in 5.5 weeks
    plan approx 3 kg to go till end of august.
    bloods are fine and in the green ,but not brilliant and need to make sure to increase iron intake a bit..

more relaxing 5 days less intensity to let body absorb the training

tomorrow is d day 2 bets are on
    break 78.8 kg
    and swim sub 5 for 400 ( my choice of weapons)
    its going to be tough for both ones. but i did 5.08 for 400 on wed
    I guess i need to borrow the hello kitty scales which undereads by 2 kg to win the first bet ...

• Advertisement

Is that sub-5 with or without wetsuit?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Kurt_Godel

peter kern wrote: »
    and swim sub 5 for 400 ( my choice of weapons)

Interesting to know your choice!

Paddles
    Wetsuit
    Fins
    17m pool
    Drafting a 4:55 swimmer
    ...?

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭MD1983

wetsuit fins and paddles ;-)

rewarding swim session ;-0

78.5 kg
    4.43 for 400, negative split . 25 m pool no drafting no wetsuit , same weapons as used for the 5.08 this week ( ps this is not a swim blog so dont ask what weapons ;-) lets just say i swam 4.43 as this sounds decent. and there is quite a bit of work to do over the next weeks to go sub 25.30 for 1900 m and 51 in october . but at least my monday swims are working. ( and they better are as they are horrible)
    anyway thats one lunch and 2 carrot cakes won ;-0 ( 1 for sub 79 and a bonus one for 78.5 kg )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Hopefully the hello kitty scales were not used!

Hopefully the hello kitty scales were not used!
    no i realiced i had been de friended on bull****ebook when i tried to ask for them... mental note never speak the truth ;-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

I was searching results in Belfast OLY and seen a familiar name, well done in the win. Good performance.

I will have to be careful.
    my take is ,that with focusing too much on losing weight this week the revocery hasnt happend as much as i would have liked to see it ( i still think it was the right thing to do and was aware of that , but i need to take that into account next week in terms of nutriton and training) .
    I am usually sluggish ( and i wasnt out there to kill myslef today) after a few easier days but it did confirm what i felt on friday and saturday.

the hardest bit of the race today where the first 300 meter in the swim i really had to push, the rest of the day was steady, at the same time the few times i tried to push more i felt awful.

Respect to Belfast to have a race in the city with the run around the townhall , it was great looking at it while running.

Well done Peter, young Speers was well tipped to win that.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

saw a pic on twitter. you're supposed to look happy on the top step of the podium peter.

well done though, great result

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Kurt_Godel

Well done Peter!
    the hardest bit of the race today where the first 300 meter in the swim i really had to push, the rest of the day was steady, at the same time the few times i tried to push more i felt awful.

How do you think your race would have gone if you didn't push so hard at the swim start? If you had gone steady for this 300m would you have got the same result by pushing harder later (if able to)?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

Well done today! Race was awful conditions but great course and organisation.

Kurt_Godel wrote: »
    Well done Peter!

How do you think your race would have gone if you didn't push so hard at the swim start? If you had gone steady for this 300m would you have got the same result by pushing harder later (if able to)?

I would not have been in the pack and get to cruise 1200 m behind darren so much more work overall . and also i new before the start that the first few min wont be easy i did 20 k last week and quite a bit of swim intensity.

re smiling on the podium trophys (in the bin already ) and beer really dosnt do it for me when cold , if could almost be home by the time the prize giving was on.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭gilleek2

I would not have been in the pack and get to cruise 1200 m behind darren so much more work overall . and also i new before the start that the first few min wont be easy i did 20 k last week and quite a bit of swim intensity.

re smiling on the podium trophys (in the bin already ) and beer really dosnt do it for me when cold , if could almost be home by the time the prize giving was on.

After the soaking right throughout the day a lack of smile could be allowed. It was a manky day. You hardly had a garmin on the run distance did you? Mine refused to work all day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭zico10

gilleek2 wrote: »
    After the soaking right throughout the day a lack of smile could be allowed. It was a manky day. You hardly had a garmin on the run distance did you? Mine refused to work all day.

He usually only wears a Casio he bought in a pound shop, so I doubt it.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭gilleek2

zico10 wrote: »

Thought so. Google maps reckons the lap is 2.57k but i was a tad surprised at that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

gilleek2 wrote: »
    Thought so. Google maps reckons the lap is 2.57k but i was a tad surprised at that.

My Garmin clocked it at 10.43km total

zico10 wrote: »

but i know it was roughly 10,40 k as i was runing exactly the same pace as in my 60 min efforts i really dont need to use a garmin at this pace and i can guess my pace within plus minus 1 sec per k

( if i go easy than i am not as good anymore as i used to be to guess the pace )

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭zico10

but i know it was roughly 10,40 k as i was runing exactly the same pace as in my 60 min efforts i really dont need to use a garmin at this pace and i can guess my pace within plus minus 1 sec per k

( if i go easy than i am not as good anymore as i used to be to guess the pace )

If you can do that, fair play.

Just curious about swimming 52 minutes for 3.8k. I've no doubt you'll be able to do it, but how much effort do you think it will take? Or how much energy are you willing to expend to hit the time?

• Advertisement

52 min in sea water i hope not to much if i find the right legs ( but for tactical reason i might actually wait a few minutes before i enter the water as i might be better off comming out of the water close to an hour from the start ( iam a bit sick that the 1 hour guys get to race in a pack, so if you cant beat them join them might be the conclusion ).
    while not as fast as swim in mallorca its faster than lets say frankfurt or roth. of course there could be a current but that would affect everybody in the same way and i would expect to lose 5..5 min on the leader in an Im swim on the first pack ( at the same time last year fastest swimmer in barcelona was matt malloy in 49 something who i was ahead of in kilkee that year and i asked him had he increased his swim training after killkee which he negated)
    oveall iam much more worried aobut my 70.3 swim goal than the full Im goal but its only numbers anyway which dodnt mean that much
    its much more important to be in the right place after the swim.and ima going to struggle with that one for the worlds ( iam improving but belfast was a good 30 sec off pace but better than tri an mhi which was closer to 1.30 off pace for 1500 )

fair week so far
    thursday session i wasnt looking forward to much and was planning to build into it.while psyching myself up. than it all came the other way round and i went for it
    hit 10 k one min faster than the last time and had to tie shoe laces in 2nd lap ( one duathlon lap in 9 min flat ( the third) which was a but crazy another in 9.11(the first) in that process) and then lost a bit time still a good bit further than last time and a good lesson for pacing.
    and until 40 min i really enjoyed it ...ok iam totally lying i never enjoyed if but i had a nice rythem, last 20 min where character building.

Another half kg down in weight (bit positively surprised about that)

Advertisement