Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

project 40/41

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

I dont generally like swimming but of all my IM swims i enjoyed the Barcelona swim the most. First 200mtr is generally hectic and normally into big waves but once out there its a good swim course.

The bike is fast, very fast, the run is a bit boring and flat enough bar one short ramp you go up 4 times. It is certainly a pb type of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Apologies if you've already indicated elsewhere, but are you doing Dublin next weekend?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

yes i am doing my first relay ever (bike)
    ck on saturday

ticking along steadily in light of 2 high intensity training sessions this weekend only really tough session was my 60 min run.
    the rest all a bit steadier.
    another 20 sec faster for first 10k and last 10 min sub 3.30 pace ( bit of an mental issue after 40 min as i got seriously bored on the treadmil.
    I am about 6 sec per k off where i need to be , but at the same time iam getting approx 2 sec a k faster each week and that despite the fact that fatique is building up . I just gotta keep the faith ... and unlike in april I just focus on getting faster rather than were i should be.

registered our relay this morning, going to an IM registration is a bit like going to club la stanta etc ( it aint for me ) and it was my intention to be in and out as fast as posible. of course it did not work a the same time if i had to get stuck I could have done much worse than meeting mark ( brillant placing off the run hub car ) and craig ( winner off getting his ceepo bikes in the best spot of the expo and even i could not help looking at those reynolds wheels)
    still v glad when i was off on my concorde.

Did you have to come up with a team name for the relay? If so, do tell. :)

• Advertisement

Dory Dory wrote: »
    Did you have to come up with a team name for the relay? If so, do tell. :)

i think its 'the challenge family'
    or
    the 3 shadows of Mick
    ( mick got kicked out of the team for talking to much, after they won the 70.3 galway relay and deported to australia, but i think he still thinks he is the team ;-)

Seriously, I have no idea

Tri Zone 1, Insanity Fit Zone, or Race Like a Girl??

it was tri zone 1

anyway saturday showed that my swim is improving and i was were i wanted to be with much less effort than i thought i would need ( thanks to darren ) still first 100 i was not sharp enough.

i cut the legs of my wetsuit friday at 11 pm ( its something i mean to do since april ...) and in the process managed to leave number belt and shades at home when i took wetsuit out ( big thanks to the officials that helped me to sort out number in t1 and t2 )

the other thing that did not work out was to get the new saddle proper adjusted was a bit to low for CK and a tiny bit too far forward )
    adjusted it for sunday checked the bike in and then realised i had left my race suit at the race ( iam getting senile) .
    so the one i used on sunday was different and ergo iam none the wiser ( iam crazy fuzzy about saddle height and unfortunately the p4 is not that great to adjust the saddle to the 1mm . anyway the saddle is the one i like so thats a good step in the right direction as it puts less pressure on my shoulders. but it was only 98% right

run sat was solid apart from first 2 k were i was a bit worried ( or better said i still had the wed session in mind I my body said no way aere we going there again.

did a 5 k cool down run and appox 1k swim cd
    had to laugh the abuse tango good from his kids for not being on the podium on the way back .
    cycled 18 k to bike check in
    and run again sat pm for 8 k

and sunday was fun worked well till k 70 and then dropped down bellow a bit half IM Intensity
    I was a happy camper when i handed over my timing chip.
    some positive things to take away naturally the first 20 k did not feel that great then from 20 -70 i felt i cycled decent and then i did not push. was a bit worried that i would be over 2.20 but also didnt really care anymore after 70-5k high 2.18 is solid and i guess i lost aobut 90 sec in the last 20k
    at the same feeling good today and i think iam on target to do the long run tomorrow as planned.

I was surprised how great, the atmosphere was in the park for the run
    the ck race is much more my cup of tea , but the spectators on the run course were amazing in the park.
    did a bit of a run after the bike
    and an easy 20 k on the bike in the evening picking up the concorde from scotsman bay.
    a challenging but within the limits weekend ( as i was very focused on recovery ) which i feel worked great and again more positive aobut the swim and also happy how good i felt satuday and sunday. ( had a 2 hour sleep while my team mates picked up their trophy and that did me well)

Congrats then!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭Bambaata

Congrats Peter. Agree on atmosphere at the Park, seemed really good. i was only able to spectate for 30mins as had to go to work so I just about got to see first 8 finish. Crowd was really building at that stage and i have to say i was very envious of everyone racing!

• Advertisement

Well done on the win and good to put a face to the name.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Well done Peter, great weekend racing from you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Nice going Peter. Congrats

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭MD1983

good win peter - the tyre found a good home so ;-)

MD1983 wrote: »
    good win peter - the tyre found a good home so ;-)
    yes great tyre for old fashioned rims
    tell him to hurry up and get me the right inner tube for it.I need every second for a sub 4.40 bike split in barca.

Sometimes the stars align...
    and y day was one of those days
    the plan half marathon in 79 min
    wasnt looking forward to the run at all -finished turbo session late last night and 30 k run from Tuesday was my longest run of the year -and a 5 min per k warm up lap wasnt that promising either .

as it would happen i started exactly at the same time, as what iam sure will be a 2.34 marathon runner runner by the end of this year ( they just went the other way round ) so it was great to see them twice every lap ,and even nicer, that if anything i ever so slightly was faster.I missed them for the 2 last 2 laps as they did 60 min.

1.17 for 21,1k very well paced and less tired than the last time for 60 min, and another 1.5 sec faster per k for first 60 min is good
    and as important body feels good toady, and mind gets a rest today as i pushed enough in the last 6 days and iam v happy how it went.
    from know on excuse me if i talk my run up a bit ;-) i know its not qutie there but placebo can work and that felt almost like running yesterday, despite coach gordo giving out to me after the run- and rightly so - about my form in the last 20 min
    As usual, thanks to exceution coach Gordo who makes sure I finish those sessions.

1 stone lighter now than for tri an mhi and the first time in 6 years i hit the dark green area for racing weight.

I d love to do dublin city tri thats going to be nice race.
    I am looking very much forward to 70.3 zell am see but i guess had i known last year the nat champs woulld be 1 week before project 40 race i might have chosen dublin.
    but i guess i changed my mind when I had a quick look at the entrance field for the 70.3 worlds and it is brillinant , there is at least 15 names i recognize in the 40 -44 age group
    just skimming through.I d say there is a good chance that this will be the most competitive 70.3 amateur champs ever. ( The male pro field might have been a bit stronger last year)

http://www.triathlon.org/results/result/2006_canberra_itu__long_distance_triathlon_world_championships/2563
    the guy that came 10th in that race will be the guy i will want to start beside kind of a 50.45 ironman swimmer.

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭MD1983

the very best of luck P!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

bigger goal than most PK, so best of luck with it and hope it works out

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Best of luck Peter

• Advertisement

Have a great race Peter. Best of luck.

Safe travels, and have a great race!!!

Nice win again today.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

Nice win again today.

link please?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Nice one Peter and zico. Did ye car-pool? :)

MojoMaker wrote: »
    Nice one Peter and zico. Did ye car-pool? :)
    yes we did car pool ( thanks again Alan ) and iam at least not the only one that much rather would get some money for spare tubes than a trophy that goes into the bin.

almost 12 hours from door to door but at the same time I would not have done a solid training session without it.

great no frills race and you could go very fast there if you wanted on this course.
    looks like a great tri community up there.

Nice win Peter. When do you travel?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭woody1

well done peter, i was up there with the liquid motion crew, saw the start and end of your race..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

As a matter of interest why didn't you both go for DCT as a training session / marker race etc? I'm guessing this was a last minute entry kinda thing?

Advertisement