Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

project 40/41

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

ta
    naas duathlon
    i would be very surprised if somebody will be on a bike that won more irish titles than the one i will be using ( sadly it were the legs not the bike -nicknamed chopper... -that contributed to this )

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

Second place but DQ?? What happened??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Leaving the DQ aside, were you happy with your race yesterday and how you performed?

pgibbo wrote: »
    Leaving the DQ aside, were you happy with your race yesterday and how you performed?

since its not the cry like a b.tch thread a clear no
    Only the second run was okish as it felt comfortable ( apart for last 300 m when i went really fast)
    iam certainly more pis.ed off about the first run than the dq.
    the bike was better than it looks.

a lot of bla bla but still for myself some good stuff to remember

I wrote this i think last thursday but never posted it
    thought aobut my training since december 21st I did not look at stats
    but overall reasonably happy how swim bike run are progressing.
    ( edit after the race i think i will start some leg strenght work as my max power is lacking )

Realize I will have to go one step backwards and get the right leg more flexible and get losen out some knots . i am working on it but the fast efforts dont allow me to improve and losen up a bit more i only mange to keep outside the red zone but not really moving closer to the green zone)
    i was moving closer to the green zone while in tenerife but the colder temperatures in ireland quickly brought me back

As it can happen while working on something ( right hammer glute area) i over did it a bit on tuesday or better said i think i hit a few spots using a tennis ball and of course aggrevited it a bit more and made the stupid mistake to try to run fast when i knew in the warm up there was a 70% chance it can go wrong...
    and it did go wrong ... this was after the morning swim where i also strained the shoulder a bit going to fast and ignoring a little

the only half good thing is i stopped immediatley running fast when i knew it wasnt working.but this is exactly the mistake I can not affort .
    very simply i seriously endagered a decent block of training getting too competetive with times on wedensday . and need to listen too my body more as a result i have to take a bit more rest than i would have liked
    fridays key swim cancelled and will be an easy swim pm and i think it might just be enough to get the right shoulder back on track .( edidt shoulder back on track this am )

so i think it was wed am swim
    pm 13 k run

thursday 1.30h bike 1o k bike

friday 30 min run 60 min turbo

sat 1 hour bike outside 90 min bike turbo easy 30 min run

sun 45 k cycle run warm up naas duathlon run cool down 40 k home .
    first run was bloody hard work and it felt awful ( not a big suprise after wedensday and the good thing...i was on the start line) .I guess after 600 m i was 5-7 seconds behind scedule.the minimal goal was to go sub 10.30 after 600m i was holding that pace an in a way this is quite ok ( as much as i hated the first run i am pretty sure on a normal day i would have run sub 10.20 )
    bike nothing much to write home , the good news is found my dream saddle. iam sure i left 60plus sec on the bike, due to bike being way too short reach and too high stack ( just to be sure if i go 60 sec faster greame would have gone 60 sec faster and there was never any doubt that he would beat me by 40 sec ) . was very interesting to test a few things apart from putting the saddle a bit up I changed nothing from joes set up. overall half pleased how that went and while the time is abysmal I worked well on the bike and was solid for the whole bike split . ( ok lets face it this is not what i was thinking on the bike but lets not get into this...)
    2nd run was solid and uneventful pushed the last uphill and then again the last 300m and beleived that was enough to achieve just about a sub 12 mim time ( result says 11.54 so the kerno 920 not so much out of tune)
    1.50 min off target overall ( prob more like 1.30 as like most people i took it handy in the corners due do the road conditions) . at the same time not bad either and iam glad last wedensday did not have an bigger impact and if i learn my lesson from it, it was overall a an ok test.

monday
    solid swim 3 k
    pm 1 hour turbo

tue 1 hour turbo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭MD1983

P - well done on the race

"( edit after the race i think i will start some leg strenght work as my max power is lacking ) "

are you talking about weights/squats or are you talking about doing max power intervals or hill repeats?

i am interested in what you are doing as my max power seems to be less than what it was, i recently started some short hard intervals to try to remedy it, like say 1-2 mins at +400 watts

Thanks!

what you need to do and I need to do is a bit diffferent so there is not much point to ask what iam doing .,.
    i would not worry to much aobut your issue now and focus on getting loser for the run first as this is where you lose the most time.

Wed
    am swim
    70 min swim easy fast mix shoulder good again

Pm 30 min bike 75min run including 6 x1200 down and up
    Hammer still a bit tight but overall very solid session last 2 reps no fun but fast . Too much rest between reps downhill 1.55 average uphill 2.11avg.
    30 min bike

Thursday 2x45.bike Feeling s..te
    Pm turbo 70 min Fartleg session. Watching. Hawaii 2005 .

10 k run easy and many breaks

Fri
    Am swim took me a long time to recover . Not feeling fresh again but its Friday and the train is running without much thinking.
    ( funnily enough I do count for the first 5 x 200 )
    2.45 avg off 3.05 while tango reads text messages on his watch
    Feels easy ...
    400 s lead 1 and 4. 5.18 and 5.10 ( seriously pushed that one and a crash after 300 did cost 2-3 secs), 2 and 3 5.22 5.29 all off 5.45
    2nd 200 set 2.45 average our best so far. Last one only felt tough but as soon as I finished I was totally done and exhausted took me a while to get back

Pm 2x 5 k run

Sat 4 hour bike few hill reps get slaughtered and also on rest of spin not going well I guess I made the best of it and did as good as I could and also good to see that marrying one guy temporally with a turbo trainer over x mas worked better than planned .

Pm run
    25 min wu 10 k @1%. 36.20 min played a bit around with pacing 3.40 too slow 3.30 a bit too fast . again very focused . Sauna and 15 min home.
    That session worked well feeling much better

Sunday am
    5 hour bike great day to be out enjoy solitude Sally gap and Wicklow gap nice and windy from blessington to bush park I pushed the pace and enjoyed racing cars. Defo felt better on bike than last few days while the run in the race did not effect me .
    The bike messed me up a bit more than I thought and I am starting to look for a bike

Not really quite in my hands what bike it will be and canyon Qr cervelo ( mainly old long and low generation) falco ceepo and diamond on the radar ( as an old soft ride user no seat post bikes always appeal to me) . The large speedmax would be best fit but it seems like nobody sells them yokes 2 nd hand .
    And there is no way Iam going to spend more than 2200 euro on a complete bike only the speedmax might get me over that threshold by a few 100s

Pm
    40 min run

overall, not a good week but did my best and getting closer to the flex I want for hammers which is the main goal.

Sub 80kg (just) for the first time .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭zico10

I meant to ask you this a few days ago. I know it's not incredibly far, but do you think the cycle from Dublin to Naas had any impact on your performance in the duathlon?

zico10 wrote: »
    I meant to ask you this a few days ago. I know it's not incredibly far, but do you think the cycle from Dublin to Naas had any impact on your performance in the duathlon?

no is the simple answer of course a warm up on a turbo in a hot room would be better for my hammer
    anyway it was the race bike i was riding that was much more different than i had it in memory ( and the one instruction i was give was not to .... around too much with the set up and i did not have a 170mm stem with me anyways)
    for the run it was the wed session i should not have done that had an impact as i was so tight i could not relax and roll down the hill as i had to protect the landing

at the same time a warm up on the race course and maybe i would not have been dqued

• Advertisement

mon
    am 70 min swim copying losely the morning workout ( especially the easy bits ...)

pm 1.55 run I start at 9 pm so given the fact i was up for 15 .5 hours at this stage when i started i was quite happy how that went. pace approx 4.45 ish

tue
    am 8 k run nice and easy and a few strides

pm highway to hell turbo session decided that it is time to start to push the bike... no watch no nothing but approx 75 min
    and if you get me to listen to ramstein ...trust me iam working.

wed am swim
    am 70 min swim long steady intervals ( i have to say even swiming on my own is starting to become a bit enjoyable )

pm hill reps
    30 min cycle 75min run 7 x 1200 reps hammer getting better and downhill runing better and there was a few times i heared myself saying to myself there is not many things nicer in this world than running a slight downhill twice i run to fast and paid a bit on the uphill)
    23 min bike ( tail wind home ;-)

so good news very slowly hammer is getting better ( just as well as i am really woking on it

thurdsay 1x 45 cycle 1 x38 min cycle
    pm 55 min turbo 2x 20 for 2nd one i used music and it made it so much easier.
    17 k easy run

friday swim
    no locomotive today for me to hide behind (but still with the toe cutter behind me, at least he did not hit me Achilles today ;-)

due to time restricions -ok lets face it i was reading a paper on optimal cycling time trial positions vs power output and arrived late, FAIL - the session was only 4 x20o in 2.47 average not bad as lane was v busy including a breast stroker... 4x 400s a bit slower as leading the 200s naturally took the sting out of me so 5.27 average and 4x200 200s 2.40 average (with paddles no pb ) was literally streched out on the pool deck after the last 2x 200 m reps gasping for air and to be fair there was no way i could have done another 200 m fast today despite the fact that the mind was willing. 400m cool down.

pm should be 2x 5 k run
    and i think a short fast turbo might be added as legs feel good.

before i lose count
    friday 2x5 ks happend , turbo did not happen

sat am 1 hour run appox 13.5 k
    2 hour turbo 25 min easy 1 hour fast 10min easy , 15 ss , cool down

pm run 2 k wu 10k 35.50 , 2 k cd
    i was not meant to go faster than 3.40 pace but it felt too easy and after 6 min being board ( and being so bored that i made the mistake to count my weekly runing mileage ... )
    i decided to get slowly faster and finished at 3.27 pace

600m swim

sunday 4.5 hour bike pretty nice day for a cycle started a bit later to make sure of no ice on the way out with wind in back almost to warm on the way back in the wind almost a bit cold but good day for a spin gatorskin tyres at 60 psi made for a tough first 2 hours keeping up, until my cycling parter had burned his matches ( the first time ever he got the pacing wrong ...)
    9 k run after the bike
    pm sauna and strech and 700ish m swim

so anyhow ended week with approx 116-118 run k
    first week with 3 turbos with intensity
    swim... at least i was 5 times in the water ....
    but the bike has moved up a bit in my priority list.
    the other truth
    restaurnat 0
    cinema 0
    cafe 0 last week so something to work on this week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

peter kern wrote: »
    the other truth
    restaurnat 0
    cinema 0
    cafe 0 last week so something to work on this week.

Perhaps look at a few brick sessions, some ideas would be a cafe stop followed by a short sharp trip to the cinema or perhaps restaurant and cinema brick session.....build up to these sessions though as you could be snoozing in the back half of the film.

Perhaps look at a few brick sessions, some ideas would be a cafe stop followed by a short sharp trip to the cinema or perhaps restaurant and cinema brick session.....build up to these sessions though as you could be snoozing in the back half of the film.

somebody reckommended me a place to eat egg sandwiches, he told me that he lost 3 k in 3 days after that . sounds like a good place to go.
    More seriously,I pushed the last 6 weeks and did fairly well ( approx 130-135hours) and i am a bit ahead where i want to be and showed myself that I am not kidding myself ( its one thing talking to train and another doing it ... )
    there is another 45 hour or so 9day block coming up soon. SO a bit of a mental distraction is on order.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

So you do keep track of your training hours! ;) Nice work going on here.

Dory Dory wrote: »
    So you do keep track of your training hours! ;) Nice work going on here.

to be fair the number could be 120 - 145hours. but most likley 130 -140 ( ps and more likely 130 than 140 ;-) .

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭shansey

sorry for the dumb question..

I saw from one of your posts that you did (and i may be wrong) a 14k run and a two hour turbo in the morning and then a 14k run at night.

Is that correct?

that is correct ( it might have been 13.5 and 14.5 k ) and there was a few reasons for it - at the same time its nothing special either .

mental recovery week
    mon
    70 min swim some pretty good efforts at the same time not quite pushing to the limit but a 300 m pb.

easy run no idea how long but short

tue
    am easy 40 min run

pm 90 min cycling turbo few solid 5 and 3 min efforts

wed am swim seriously no reoletion what i did but it was 70 min and nothing special

pm run 85 min 1200 1000 800 600 400 200 solid pace

thur
    am 2x45 min bike
    pm turbo session 16 x 1 on of
    super enjoyable run with fast and easy efforts all in all 1.40 run

friday
    am
    wrestling session in the pool . to be honest i have no idea about times as I was mentaly not present. was kind of fun i got dropped than did a few fast strokes to get back ( and this was very valuable for the guy swimming behind me ;-)
    i was a bit late ( went to cinema thursday) so had to catch up and switched on the brain after they left 2x 200 in 2.39 4x50 in 35 and 4x25 in 15-16

pm 2x 5 k run and today the 1 hour turob is not optional

all in all all good and while i feel I am having 5 days off I still got solid work done and i feel like to run the 10 k sub 35.30 on sat

cinema 1 cafe 1

friday pm turbo did not happen

sat
    4 hours the first real outdoor test on the test routes. not much to write home as its not hard to be better than last year and it underlined what i need to work on.
    At the same time i think i will do the duathlon nats as a good test.

8 k run of the bike

interesting is pm run 2 k wu 10 k at 34. 55 min . this was the session I wanted to hit this week goal was sub 35.30) legs till a bit tired form am sessions the whole wu I told myslef sub 35.30 and then started with 3.31... took me 2 min until I realiced I was on 35.10. anyway decided to go 3.29 after 8 min decided to incline to 2 but I found my master there and had to go back to 1 struggled a bit and went 3.31 pace and at some stage back to 3.30 and then pushed the pace for last 500. I was happy with that as this am ride was the toughest this year.

1 k swim ,stretch 2 k run home. good days work

Based on this iam sub 56 for a 10 miler right now and should improve 1 m and I would guess that can take a 1min off this in next 5 weeks.
    was an easier run week but I would guess its still 85 k

Sun
    5 hour bike felt pretty good again and for the first time felt the climbing is a bit back. roughly 2.5 hours climbing, playing with my nutrition , i had to share the little i had with dave who bonked ( luckly niamh had given me a bit of her homemade protein snack 3 hours in the session) I made it home fine just running out of energy for the last 2 min of climbing.

after lunch . treat at queen of tarts ;-)

pm
    7 k run with strides and approx 1000 m swim and stretching.

overall a week with good decicions after i overreached a bit last sunday.

• Advertisement

weeks like this more often then not have a positive impact in the long term. felt great tuesday mornig whent for an easy swim and then something hit me tuesday afternoon ( to be honest not really sure what and body is fighting something) anyway all good and stuff like that often has a more positive impact- in my case for the first time i did not feel the hammer swimmining at tt turn and cycling- and right now there is enough on the rainy day trainigs account ;-)

mon
    am 60 min swim

pm 2 hours run enjoyed that a lot .

tue
    short easy swim
    3o min turbo (stopped as not feeling well )

wed 55 min swim just to keep ticking over

thur
    90 min bike

90 min easy run feeling a bit better

friday
    averge swim with good spritns ( suffering like a dog ) at the end again feeling a bit better

2x5 k run

sat not feeling the love for first 45 min anyway 5 hour bike with quite a few efforts ( as soon as i go fast i feel it not being top , but defo much better )

pm 60 min easy run (legs smashed from bike) .

sunday 4 hour bike feeling close to good again but still not much at the high end happening getting dropped drafting at the intervals.

ps 60 min run with fast 200 intervals again feeling a bit better
    2 k swim ( really enjoyed that )
    pretty good bike weekend and 9 hours done at great weather

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭ray o

I spotted you in the park yesterday. Great to see you putting the hamer down on that battered old concorde you have. #PractisingWhatYouPreach

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Where are you swimming at the moment Peter - one particular place or all over?

ray o wrote: »
    I spotted you in the park yesterday. Great to see you putting the hamer down on that battered old concorde you have. #PractisingWhatYouPreach

I feel like coach Ted now ...

mojo usually swimin westwood and rathmines once a week.

did another step yesterday towards project 41 and now doing an ironman on the 3rd of october. After that I run my 10 k in 34.45 and did 10 x 35 sec @4% and 20 kmh , 25 rest . Its funny what 530 euro do to you in terms of short term HTFU i also felt quite light .... Gym was v busy and not much oxygen in the air , hr very high legs felt good, but it was torcher
    anyway the session is now stopped but i will use it as a test set from time to time .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Should that be Oct 4th?

Good to have a goal to focus towards! :cool:

pgibbo wrote: »
    Should that be Oct 4th?

to be fair i never looked at the date , so it might well be the 4th

Good to have a goal to focus towards! :cool:
    my goal race is still project 40.
    and while i still have and open ironman bill from 10 years ago but its unlikely to be settled in Barcelona.but i still want to go sub 9- 52-3, 4.48 -4,51 , 3 03-3,06 but the main goal is to get the ticket and this means i will be careful on the bike from 120 -150k to make sure nutriton is as bombproof as possible for the run, )
    anyway back to the reall world and the one thing thats not working ( half planned half not going the way i want it) right now is my 1-30 min power on the bike and i have work to do for st polten , with everything else iam more or less happyish, and while a bit back in the plan march and april where always going to be bike focus ( and the base is there ) and the swim and run being kind of in place.

neither long bike or run take much out of me and i guess its fair to say the last 8 weeks of training have been consistent( which was my main worry at the beginning of project 40) . the bad thing i am still not working well enough on the turbo, bear 2 good weeks.

overall iam usualy 1 quality session either swim or bike down a week ( running which is main focus iam hitting sessions quite well )
    from april i need to really push one more swim session a week until end of june .
    weight is also at an level where i will be happy to indulge in the spanish food next week (wine olives cheese ham fish and the fantastic canary island bananas here we come)

good 9 days of training will write it down later , did a mental training count while dosing on the plane ( got a bit scared when i hit 60 hours) ,as during the week i was more focused on getting enough intesity in.
    Body feels suprisingly good .

swimming was the best i have done in a long while 32 k and 4 good quality sessions and a 100 m pb for this year.

running 2 quality sesions (one prob the most enjoyable run in last 4 years) and 145-50 k overall was hoping for 1 more quality run on last day but decided against it as risk of injury was too high

bike good intervals either climbing or into headwind , intensity was good, overall bikes where a bit too broken due to equipment failures ( not my concorde ray, who held up better than any other bike) somewhere between 900 and 1000k .

fantastic cycling and i have to say my favorite canary island for tri training ( we based ourselfs in the centre of the island at the east coast and the choice of roads is fantstic plenty of off road running and a nice costal path and , sea temperature was fine the swiming pool was great too)

anyway the funniest thing was that one bordie at the airport in fuerteventura reminded me that tunny still owes me 50 euro and that it was not the fine english way to chage the parameters of the bet .

overall a good camp people pushed their limits and realiced that where they think they limits are is not really where they are. i am sure next year they will be confident to do more and be even more focused, ie body maintance, getting to bed early , relax a bit more etc , in one case we found out why somebody is always tired ... longest timed record of sitting down without moving was 3 min 25 .....

I guess you never learn more about people than on a camp, you see how motivated they are after the first 3 fun days , how they react when they are tired.
    weather they have an long course or short course mentality , do they have the mental stregnth to push to their limits or do the find excuses when the going gets tough. usually everybody has an tough day (mine was very early in the camp on day 3 and I gained a lot hanging on when i was totally in the hurt box for 2 climbs and Garfield seemed to not even really working, I finished the session strong, it was a great mental boast not having given in to the demons on the climbs blame the wind the bike etc )

its what one makes make out of those moments , that really counts.( one guy could not face a bike ride one day and went for a 2 hour run instead and then hammered the swim in the evening again , 10 out of 10 from my side for this )

you see peoples strenght and weaknesses.
    Its a great place to know how far an athlete is likely to go, and overall i was pleased with what i saw.

I belive its the most important thing of a camp to try to push athletes to and a bit over the Mental limit and see how far they can go some snap but usually its those that dont make it, or they try to learn from it.
    This year we had a few cracks but nobody snapped.
    there is no need no sport psycology, motivational BS talks and all the fluff usually entailed in camps , everybody had to deal with the dark side and can now think how they will deal with it the next time (learning by doing ) . they saw what otheres were doing and can now learn form that and take their own conclusions how far they want to go.
    nils fromhold said recently v nicely after he had a bit of a motivational whole after his 6th place in hawaii and consequently a dissapointing challenge bahrain dubai race, triathlon is a great sport as you reap the benefeits for hard work and pay the bill for not being on the ball.

in deed some might come to the conclusion less is more, and some will see they need more base.

Anyway I enjoyed it .

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭ray o

( not my concorde ray, who held up better than any other bike) somewhere between 900 and 1000k .

I'm not surprised. And even if it did give you problems it would be nothing you couldn't fix with a bit of twine and a pocket knife

did a 400 m swim tt and was very pleased that less than 32 hours comming home from camp i improved my pre 2014 kilkee tt time by 17 seconds and december time by 25 seconds, despite really hitting 2 turns very badly . i got myself in a good pre tt zone ( ie you are lucky if i say hi to you ) and while not willing to push 100% i was working ,less hard than on some of the climbs last week but nonetheless i was working.
    happy with that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭Bambaata

did a 400 m swim tt and was very pleased that less than 32 hours comming home from camp i improved my pre 2014 kilkee tt time by 17 seconds and december time by 25 seconds, despite really hitting 2 turns very badly . i got myself in a good pre tt zone ( ie you are lucky if i say hi to you ) and while not willing to push 100% i was working ,less hard than on some of the climbs last week but nonetheless i was working.
    happy with that
    Here you go - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057303403&page=4
    ;)

Advertisement