Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How medicated are you?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,166 ✭✭✭Tasden

I'm not a doctor, but a bottle of Buckfast a day won't help anyone's physical or mental health. It contains both a depressant (alcohol) and a stimulant (caffeine). Not a good idea to mix both together in large quantities.

But you can't say that giving up the buckfast will definitely mean he wont need all the medication.
    It will have a positive impact on his health for sure. No denying that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Magico Gonzalez

Caffeine - daily
    cloraphenamime - 4 to 6 months a year of anti allergy pills

Alprazolam - about 4 times a year for long distance flights (not what it is prescribed for!...illicitly acquired. Use it for jet lag the day after if I need to quickly adjust my sleep pattern.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21 Karpackie

On a thing called Vimovo for back pain. Not good for my ability to drink beer, or to have complete confidence when I fart.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭looking_around

PucaMama wrote: »
    now ive taken things like xanax and diazepam plenty of times, along with the prozac but at one stage was on sleeping tablets trying to find one that worked. i was given zimovane or something similar and had the same kind of experience. was still wide awake (obviously didnt do their job) but i could hear music from the kitchen. no radio in the kitchen and i was home alone.

zimovane <3

Also took this. Didn't help with sleep, but I saw lots of colours floating around me.

Was really nice.

Current GP, only gives seroquel to people now, as a sleeper as it's non addictive.and no "high" side effect ):

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭corner of hells

zimovane <3

Also took this. Didn't help with sleep, but I saw lots of colours floating around me.

Was really nice.

Current GP, only gives seroquel to people now, as a sleeper as it's non addictive.and no "high" side effect ):

As an aid to sleep ? To help you sleep ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭PucaMama

zimovane <3

Was really nice.

i also got an awful metallic taste in the mouth from it. stayed for days after taking just one.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Don't take anything. One cup of coffee a day and the odd drink and that's it.

As an aid to sleep ? To help you sleep ?

yes.

<modsnip> I've removed some text/advice that I think is crossing the line into medical advice. Please try to stay within the boards rules of 'no medical advice' please

PucaMama wrote: »
    i also got an awful metallic taste in the mouth from it. stayed for days after taking just one.

OMG, yes! I remember that. :( That was a definite downside to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Albertofrog

Myself - nothing. I broke my shoulder and ripped my rotator cuff a few months ago.
    Was on morphine and OxyContin- but the OxyContin made me unconscious.
    Growing up in the north I can see why the amount of antidepressants is through the roof.
    My own mother was hooked on diazepam and the da liked his whiskey

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,080 ✭✭✭McChubbin

For me, I'm on:
    -Epilim (Anti-convulsant used to treat a variety of things. In my case, bipolar disorder)
    -Haloperidol (Anti-psychotic)
    -Akineton (Muscle relaxant, predominantly used to counter-act the side effects of the other medications)

I'm also on low-grade painkillers (Paracetamol) for my shoulder/collarbone problem and I have a Mirena IUD.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Popoutman

Migraine control - Zomig zolmitriptan. If I miss that window, I take Solpadol 30/500s and they work moderately.

As a side effect of an illness a few years back, I get a nice fortnightly injection of an unlicensed medication (all legal and above board, signed off by the director of the unit in the hospital I was in) which is literally a pain in the arse, but necessary for normal living.

What sucks is that even with my medical history and fortnightly GP visits to get my injection, I had my medical card taken away as I apparently earn too much money to warrant it..

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭Colinf1212

Stop the Buckfast and you won't need the rest of the meds.

The most recent thing I added was buckfast so I doubt that. The short lasting benzo is the most addictive/dangerous thing on there imo. I've been taking etizolam for months. I was at my worst in the summer, I even knocked myself out on the concrete on it, still got the scar. Large blank memories.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Macavity.

Colinf1212 wrote: »
    The most recent thing I added was buckfast so I doubt that. The short lasting benzo is the most addictive/dangerous thing on there imo. I've been taking etizolam for months. I was at my worst in the summer, I even knocked myself out on the concrete on it, still got the scar. Large blank memories.

Might be a good idea to wean yourself off Etiz, won't be as easily available in the future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

Cipramil 10mg which is an SSRI. I take it for anxiety. I've been on it a month and the doctor says I'll probably be on it for a good long while. It makes me clench my jaw like as if I was on e and makes me yawn constantly. That's about it.
    Before that I was on propranolol which is a beta blocker and hated it because it slowed my heartbeat down so slow which made me freak out.
    I also get the odd script for xanax now and then when I'm feeling particularly bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭tempnam

Flabangav wrote: »
    Just lexapro for anxiety. I had rivotril for a while for panic attacks, but I haven't taken one in three months so must be getting better!

Like another poster said, counselling depends on the counsellor. The first one I went to wasn't helpful for me, but the second one was brilliant from the first session.

Same here!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 489 ✭✭Sclosages

What are you taking buckfast for? Tried reading back, but couldn't find an explanation?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,438 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

I just took two Tylex and then took two paracetamol straight afterwards without thinking. ****e :(

Sclosages wrote: »
    What are you taking buckfast for? Tried reading back, but couldn't find an explanation?

Sociability for work. I'm trying to get myself off the etiz and alcohol and stick to taking a long lasting benzo and zoloft every day. So rather than drinking and popping pills all day I'll wake up, take two pills and deal with my day as normal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

Graces7 wrote: »
    What a bitter and condescending and intolerant post. Over prescribing is a fact. If you want to take meds, by all means but try to listen to what the long experience of others offers and keep your mind open

Many of us have been where you are and found a way through it without psycho active drugs. Saying so is not self righteous. It is actually caring.

By the way I could equal or exceed almost everyone here for psych drug consumption over decades. I learned a different way.

Sure i get down; this week a sudden death in the family, great physical pain .. other worries,, But I know that thee can be endured and can teach more than I ever learned when I relied on meds.

We all have great recuperative and healing powers in our bodies and minds that many do not tap. Diet, life style changes.. can do far more than any med

Wondering also why you seem to need that everyone agrees with you ....

Child, go your way but please do not attack those who know differently from you.

Do you really believe that people WANT to take antidepressants?

I think it's fantastic that you've learned to deal with your health without medication. Truly, that's brilliant.

But, a death and a stressful week? Awful examples that are nothing compared to actual depression.

As for 'if you want to take them" - I hate taking medication. I don't bother with b12 injections I'm supposed to get, medication for PCOS I'm supposed to take, pills for a ropey sstomach I'm supposed to take. I will only take medication if I absolutely have to.

My antidepressants - I have to. I hate it, and I would love to be off of them. However, I'd be dead without them.

You speak about not judging you for your choices, but you're judging people who, unlike you, actually need the medication they're on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭Irishpimpdude

All these people out of their faces on doctor meds, and people slate weeed... Cannabis could be used to treat most if not all of the metal/physical problems people have in this thread.

Cannabis is #1 in my book.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,594 ✭✭✭emeldc

All these people out of their faces on doctor meds, and people slate weeed... Cannabis could be used to treat most if not all of the metal/physical problems people have in this thread.

Nah, fcuk all use for kidney transplants.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

....and people slate weeed... Cannabis could be used to treat most if not all of the metal/physical problems people have in this thread.

Your colouring-book, I presume.

All weed does is make me puke and feel paranoid. I'll stick to real medication :)

Great correlation between your username and post content. Both cringeworthy.

LMAO Junkies, I have taken prescription meds and trust me I am a pimp in fairness... They are much worse then cannabis,

The only cannabis that can harm you is stuff that is sprayed or not grown to proper standards.

Cannabis is a wonder drug and about 30% of the world know this, the other 50% are just law abiding citizens haha that take legal drug and the other 20% would never touch a drug even if they are told they need it.

Drugs are drugs no matter where or who they come from, legal or not they still alter the body and mind.

And I made the username when I was 14, about the average age on boards.ie now it seems.

LMAO Junkies, I have taken prescription meds and trust me I am a pimp in fairness... They are much worse then cannabis,

The only cannabis that can harm you is stuff that is sprayed or not grown to proper standards.

Cannabis is a wonder drug and about 30% of the world know this, the other 50% are just law abiding citizens haha that take legal drug and the other 20% would never touch a drug even if they are told they need it.

Drugs are drugs no matter where or who they come from, legal or not they still alter the body and mind.

And I made the username when I was 14, about the average age on boards.ie now it seems.

I'd rather take something that I know the contents and effects of, rather than smoke a plant and hope for the best.

You even called it a plant and that is what is it a harmless non addictive plant, people smoke tobacco and hope for the best but turn out addicted ... I only have the odd one, then it turns to a 10 pack next your smoking 20 packs because the government says you can't have 10 cigs anymore because children can afford them.

And see you Colin you go shove your blues, yellows and zimos up your hole I hear they give you a better buzz that way bud ;)

Ya should be on abbey st with the rest of them ya fool

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,646 ✭✭✭✭Sauve

And see you Colin you go shove your blues, yellows and zimos up your hole I hear they give you a better buzz that way bud ;)

Ya should be on abbey st with the rest of them ya fool

mod

Calm it down with the wind-up posts and personal abuse lads. No need for it.

Advertisement