Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How medicated are you?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,175 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Sclosages wrote: »
    I actually think your bowel habits tells a lot about your health lol

Hell yeah. Eat well, and blow health out yer ass. :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 489 ✭✭Sclosages

A daily morning bowel movement is not to be sneezed at lol

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

kowloon wrote: »
    I was like that for years, wouldn't take things for anything but then my pancreas decided it didn't like its job and resigned. Now that I have to take insulin to survive I take an 'in for a penny, in for a pound' approach.

Same thing with me. I was never one to take medicines. It took a lot to convince me to take a painkiller let alone go to the doctor! Then lucky me developed Epilepsy so I'm now on 4 pills in the morning and 6 at night. Still takes a lot to make me take a painkiller or any other type of meds though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,166 ✭✭✭Tasden

Migraleave is available over the counter and is very good.

Wiki says these have codeine in them? I was told to avoid codeine (which works wonders) cause it can cause more headaches.
    Its a never ending saga :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭HiGlo

Very seldom take medication. Wouldn’t take anything for headache or back ache unless it’s really bad.
    I’ve been on antibiotics twice – once about 12 years ago for tonsillitis and about 4 years ago for a really bad kidney infection.
    I was in a car accident earlier this year and the hospital gave me a script for Difene, Tylex and Valium – none of which I took so they’re all still sitting at home.
    I went through a bout of about a year or 2 of depression but I never took medication for that.

I use Panadol drinks when I get a cold, but other than that, I don’t really take anything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭wuzziwig

blacklilly wrote: »
    I was prescribed Lyrica once for back issues and had crazy hallucinations with them, also felt very "high" for want of a better word, Seemingly they're quite addictive. I was back with my Doctor within 2 weeks of starting them as I couldn't keep taking them.

Not on and have never been on an medication apart from some relating to back pain a few years ago.

They don't do anything like that to me. No fair!!! :p

HiGlo wrote: »
    Very seldom take medication. Wouldn’t take anything for headache or back ache unless it’s really bad.
    I’ve been on antibiotics twice – once about 12 years ago for tonsillitis and about 4 years ago for a really bad kidney infection.
    I was in a car accident earlier this year and the hospital gave me a script for Difene, Tylex and Valium – none of which I took so they’re all still sitting at home.
    I went through a bout of about a year or 2 of depression but I never took medication for that.

I use Panadol drinks when I get a cold, but other than that, I don’t really take anything.

A martyr!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

Three groups have formed in this thread.

Those of us who take meds because we know they help us.

Those who have no need to take meds so far and count themselves lucky.

And the last group who have super powers to be able to 'tough it out' and just 'know' that too many meds are being handed out, even thet they've not taken them. They are also really condescending and self-righteous when the truth is that theyve not got a clue because they aren't medical people just keyboard doctors ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

I just knew this thread would move to the subject of Bowels!
    I agree with you though.

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭HiGlo

I’m sorry, does the fact that I don’t need medication upset you? Sorry about that.
    I’ll ensure to start taking drugs in order that I don’t come across as self righteous…… :rolleyes:

I’m not a “martyr”. I don’t “tough it out” – I just haven’t needed to take stuff. I wasn't in any pain/discomfort after the car accident so didn't need it.
    If I get a headache, I drink water. If I get back ache, I go to bed early (I know what the cause of the pain is). If I really needed it, I’d be first in line – don’t you worry. I just have been lucky that I haven’t had much requirement for medication in my life so far.
    I’ve been having trouble sleeping for the last while so I’m planning to go to the doctor to get a prescription for something. I’ve also had my fair share of a few class A’s and B’s….. Hardly sitting here on my high horse now am I??

I don’t look down on people that need or choose medication – it is their life. It has nothing to do with me. I completely respect that it works for some, it doesn't for others.

Perhaps my post came across in a way I didn't intend so apologies for that.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

lukesmom wrote: »

And the last group who have super powers to be able to 'tough it out' and just 'know' that too many meds are being handed out, even thet they've not taken them. They are also really condescending and self-righteous when the truth is that theyve not got a clue because they aren't medical people just keyboard doctors ;)
    There's a fourth possible group, hypochondriacs, the chronically well, who aren't happy unless they come back from the GP with a script. Others would be those who opt for the pills and unctions rather than make lifestyle changes that would have the same or better effect.

As for not having a clue, if someone had come on a thread like this 10 or 20 years ago and suggested that there was a real risk coming from overuse of antibiotics they'd have equally been accused of not having a clue and how did that work out?

As I said these drugs and other more recent treatments are fantastic innovations. I am no treat it with crystals and positive thinking hippie type, however I do think that a balance needs to be set and current medical fashions need to be constantly questioned and updated when required.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭Candy_Girl

I've no medical issues and rarely sick thankfully. I very rarely take pain killers, I'd have to be really bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

Have been on anti-depressants in the past (including Lexepro, which was the first one I was ever put on and which made me very resistant to going on medication for a long time, even when I badly needed to), and I use codeine and weed to manage period pain. Apart from that nothing, I think I've been on antibiotics maybe ten times. I'm not anti-medication at all, it's just that I'm lucky enough to not have any long term conditions that require me to be on any, I'm rarely sick, and if I am it's nothing that bed-rest and Lemsips won't take care of.

Have been on anti-depressants in the past (including Lexepro, which was the first one I was ever put on and which made me very resistant to going on medication for a long time, even when I badly needed to), and I use codeine and weed to manage period pain. Apart from that nothing, I think I've been on antibiotics maybe ten times. I'm not anti-medication at all, it's just that I'm lucky enough to not have any long term conditions that require me to be on any, I'm rarely sick, and if I am it's nothing that bed-rest and Lemsips won't take care of.

You didn't go 2 years with untreated depression.

You didn't go 2 years with untreated depression.

What?

What?

Was my sentence incoherent?

Was my sentence incoherent?

Could do with some context, seeing as I never said I went two years with untreated depression.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,166 ✭✭✭Tasden

Could do with some context, seeing as I never said I went two years with untreated depression.

It was a (bizarre) dig at another poster I think.

I was posting with reference to a poster who stated they struggled for 2 years with depression (their diagnosis, not mine).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,094 ✭✭✭wretcheddomain

lukesmom wrote: »

Irony alert.

• Advertisement

Nobody should be taking pills. Pharma companies profit from illness. Ignore your prescriptions! BURN THEM!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭Phoebas

I waited FAR to long for that gif to do something.

There's a pill you could take to help with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

It was always there, you have to apply directly for it. This is where going directly to the welfare officer would make it easier.

From I know, you need to have your psychiatrist diagnose with S.A.D, and say that with this you should be off meds etc.(essentially that the lamp would be your treatment.)

Damn.....wonder would my psrink take me off meds for a month to get me a lamp? After all, she is the one that suggested it :D Only problem is that I'm bipolar not SAD

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

HiGlo wrote: »
    I’m sorry, does the fact that I don’t need medication upset you? Sorry about that.
    I’ll ensure to start taking drugs in order that I don’t come across as self righteous…… :rolleyes:

I’m not a “martyr”. I don’t “tough it out” – I just haven’t needed to take stuff. I wasn't in any pain/discomfort after the car accident so didn't need it.
    If I get a headache, I drink water. If I get back ache, I go to bed early (I know what the cause of the pain is). If I really needed it, I’d be first in line – don’t you worry. I just have been lucky that I haven’t had much requirement for medication in my life so far.
    I’ve been having trouble sleeping for the last while so I’m planning to go to the doctor to get a prescription for something. I’ve also had my fair share of a few class A’s and B’s….. Hardly sitting here on my high horse now am I??

I don’t look down on people that need or choose medication – it is their life. It has nothing to do with me. I completely respect that it works for some, it doesn't for others.

Perhaps my post came across in a way I didn't intend so apologies for that.

No I wasn't talking about you. If you read my post you are in the second group, you don't take meds but don't bash others for taking them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Went from no need to visit the GP nor meds in ten years to needing a smorgasbord of daily medication. Counted what I was talking one day and it was 38 tablets. From targin and oxy to benzos and a horrid mix of stemetil/valoid/dexamethasone.

Your health is truly your wealth, enjoy whilst you can!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,845 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

I take tablets for cholesterol and blood pressure as well as aspirin due to having some stents put in in my late 20's. Recently discovered i could buy 6 months in 1 go, that and the move to generics brings my 6 month bill down to e85 where it was e65/ month at it's cheapest in my local pharmacy....never did a full like with like comparison but was definitely getting shafted by shopping local

I take tablets for cholesterol and blood pressure as well as aspirin due to having some stents put in in my late 20's. Recently discovered i could buy 6 months in 1 go, that and the move to generics brings my 6 month bill down to e85 where it was e65/ month at it's cheapest in my local pharmacy....

Perhaps you should go back to your local pharmacy?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Contraceptive pill, caffeine and vitamins when I remember to take them.

i hope you're not a catholic, its a sin you know

• Registered Users Posts: 13,845 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

Perhaps you should go back to your local pharmacy?

that's e85 for 6 months v e65 per month in the local

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,175 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Sneezing during a particularly hefty one isn't a great job either, I can tell you. :D

Advertisement