Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How medicated are you?

Options
  • 24-11-2014 4:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭

So it seems Northern Ireland is the most medicated country in the world (for depression and anxiety.) and we all know the stereotype that Americans seem to be medicated for everything under the sun, but how medicated are you?

What do you take regularly?

Me? currently on:

Buscopan - To get spasms in my urinary tract under control
    Antibiotics - Had a bladder stone removed a while ago, and constantly get UTI's for the last 3 months
    Painkillers - Ibruprofen for the above
    Antidepressants - Was having difficulty sleeping, getting less than an hours sleep at any one point, stress and drpression induced.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

I'm on Anxicalm for anxiety and also a sleeping tablet, of which I can't remember its name. As you can tell, the sleeping tablet is working amazingly as I sit here posting at 3:38am :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,710 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

nothing except caffeine.

who cares what medication you on if you need it and it's working? i swear both my parents would rather die than take medication. father especially sees it as some kind of weakness, load of BS

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭PucaMama

Prozac for anxiety/depression, eltroxin for the thyroid, metformin for PCOS, and also the microlite as a bonus for PCOS. I also use diphene cream for my bad knee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,050 ✭✭✭nokia69

a few pints now and then

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Lau2976

nothing except caffeine.

who cares what medication you on if you need it and it's working? i swear both my parents would rather die than take medication. father especially sees it as some kind of weakness, load of BS

I'm the same as your parents. Although I do think it has it's uses! I'd rather just wait it out and do excercises to reduce the pain. I get that from my hippy mother though. She'd rather saw her leg off then take pain killers for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

Effexor XL and Zispin for depression and Lamictal to control manic episodes. Vallium to help with anxiety problems but only when really needed. And Zimovane for sleep problems.......and just like WhiteRoses said, it's working really well :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

I'm pretty much against taking any sort of medication and will generally only do so as a last resort, I'm not anti medication and will certainly get all my vaccinations but I just don't like the idea of messing with the body's chemistry, especially on a prolonged basis. Thankfully I've no medical condition that requires me to do so.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭braddun

"Comfortably Numb"

Hello,
    Is there anybody in there?
    Just nod if you can hear me.
    Is there anyone at home?

Come on now
    I hear you're feeling down
    Well, I can ease your pain
    And get you on your feet again

Relax
    I'll need some information first
    Just the basic facts
    Can you show me where it hurts?

There is no pain, you are receding
    A distant ship smoke on the horizon
    You are only coming through in waves
    Your lips move but I can't hear what you're saying
    When I was a child I had a fever
    My hands felt just like two balloons
    Now I've got that feeling once again
    I can't explain, you would not understand
    This is not how I am
    I have become comfortably numb

I have become comfortably numb

O.K.
    Just a little pin prick
    There'll be no more aaaaaaaah!
    But you may feel a little sick

Can you stand up?
    I do believe it's working, good
    That'll keep you going through the show
    Come on, it's time to go.

There is no pain you are receding
    A distant ship smoke on the horizon
    You are only coming through in waves
    Your lips move but I can't hear what you're saying
    When I was a child
    I caught a fleeting glimpse
    Out of the corner of my eye
    I turned to look but it was gone
    I cannot put my finger on it now
    The child is grown
    The dream is gone
    I have become comfortably numb.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

Is whiskey a medication? cos I finsished work at 9 o'clock.. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭BetterThanThou

Don't take anything daily, I suffer from depression and anxiety but I keep that under control by keeping myself busy practically all the time. Once or twice a week I self medicate myself with my "special medicine" that helps me relax for a few hours and get a good nights sleep. Usually eat a lot as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭candy-gal1

Only The Pill, Vitamin C tabs and Revive for women - must be lucky :D

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Got terrible heartburn there on Saturday so relented and popped some Rennies.
    That's it fortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,315 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

The odd Panadol for a headache now and again.

We survived for thousands of years without tablets, nobody knows what damage too many of them could do to the body.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭porsche959

We survived for thousands of years without tablets, nobody knows what damage too many of them could do to the body.

Yeah, but:

life-expectancy-throughout-history-long-trend.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭7ofBrian

Copious quantities of Tetrahydrocannabinol to balance me out ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

porsche959 wrote: »
    Yeah, but:

life-expectancy-throughout-history-long-trend.gif

I waited FAR to long for that gif to do something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

Antidepressants.
    The Pill.

Occasionally a Panadol for a headache.

I'm also supposed to be on -
    Glucophage for pcos.
    Zimovane (sleeping pills)
    B12 injections.
    And some other stuff.

But fcuk that.

The pill and my head meds are enough :)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I am on nothing. I only get cold or soar throat now and then. If that happens I get something from local pharmacy.
    I have not visited hospital for the last 12 years. I tend not too look illnesses in me and I can't complain about anything so far.
    I do know a lot of people who are just regulars at hospitals and will go there for every little thing...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

No medication thankfully. Was last at a doctor about 9 years ago, to get my ears syringed.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Codeine for the constant pain that comes with M.E. eg Raynauds that is sheer agony at night and anti nausea OTC as that too comes with the M.E. Vary it wilh aspiring for daytime use.

Like many with M.E I was wrongly diagnosed for 30 years as being mentally ill and at one stage was taking over 24 tabs a day... benzos, anti depressants, pain killers and other stuff to deal with the side effects of the others.

Was frequently suicidal but when I got a computer and my correct diagnosis I started reading and learned how valium causes suicidal thoughts etc etc etc. Too me a year to get off all meds... the difference was awesome as I got my mind back and my life.

Shudder to remember those days.

I know codeine is addictive but it works and at over 70 am not worried. Have been stable on the same amount for years.
    Benzos are bad. Period. I have a small bottle of valium int he house as emergency meds for an old dog but would never take any no matter how desperate I felt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

I've had a few shots for when travelling, took a limsip about 2 years ago, still have a supply of them but haven't had to use them. That's about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Molester Stallone II

Methotrexate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Supposed to take eltroxin for an underactive thyroid and galfer for my iron but I couldn't be bothered with the 3 month blood tests that go with it.

I take zopiclone for sleeping and I can't get scripts for Valium or Xanax but would take those when I can get them, also to get me to sleep

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

None.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

I'm on

1 antibiotic to clear up an infection
    2 cymbalta (snri anti depressant)
    3. Mirtazapine (anti depressant)
    4. Seroquel (anti psychotic)
    The three last meds are a cocktail that helps my generalised anxiety disorder & depression.
    5. Balance for nerves its a blend of b vitamins and l-theanine which really helps anxiety and calm you down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

I take one pill to make me larger and one pill make me small and the one that my mother gives me don't do anything at all :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Macavity.

Have been on various anti depressants but am clean from them at the moment. Devil's semen is what I call it. Horrible stuff. Doctor wants me on cymbalta. Have been on zopiclone in the past for insomnia. Various inhalers when I was younger for asthma.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭MistyCheese

Nothing, not a damn thing, not even caffeine. I'm severely under medicated.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Irish Stones

i swear both my parents would rather die than take medication. father especially sees it as some kind of weakness, load of BS

Same here.
    I'd rather die than going to a doctor or taking a medicine or having a shot of vaccine.
    My opinion about doctors and medicine is very very low.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭Reiketsu

I have been on antidepressants (sertraline) in the past as well as zopiclone, but I don't need them any more. I've also used Mebeverine for cramps from IBS but I'm alright at the moment so currently off them. Apart from that I take pills for migraines and that's about it.

Advertisement