Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How medicated are you?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭Aeternum

I am on antidepressants, eltroxin for my non-existent thyroid, migraine tablets but I can't remember the name of them, depo provera and can't forget about the insulin injections because of my non functioning pancreas!

Had never been on medication bar painkillers until 5 years ago, simply because there was no need for it. But when it rains it pours :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

Aeternum wrote: »
    depo provera

Has been known to cause depression & migraines in some patients.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭Aeternum

I have had migraines for about three years and depression for around two but I only started depo a few months ago and it helped with other issues I was having, so it seems worth it for me so far anyway :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭ghogie91

Was on a sleeping tablet and Cytlophram (I think thats how you spell it) for depression earlier in the year. Those made me feel weird so I stopped taking them.

Now am on nothing, rekindled my love of sports I had just point blank stopped and I cant remember why and began waking up in the morning actually feeling ok.

Got out of my brief stint of depression by training 5 nights a week with a match on the weekends.

Alls gravy now, odd neurophen for an odd headache

• Registered Users Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭looking_around

FanadMan wrote: »
    Damn.....wonder would my psrink take me off meds for a month to get me a lamp? After all, she is the one that suggested it :D Only problem is that I'm bipolar not SAD

ah that could cause some issues for you s:
    Lamps aren't an official treatment for bp. Of course nothing stopping your psych writing it out and claiming it would be an important part of your treatment, and going to the welfare officer with that. (I wouldn't go through med.card directly..but good chance getting it paid for through the welfare officer, oh and if they say "no", you can appeal....bit of hassle but might be worth doing, it's up to yourself.)

Alternatively, maybe leave pictures of the one you want around at family/friends, as a #hint hint# christmas present :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭looking_around

Wibbs wrote: »
    Aye, but with anti depressants I am getting more than a sniff of how antibiotics were over used in the past. They're the go to drug for too many GP's. I've seen this with my own two eyes with friends and family over the years. Just as some GP's handed/hand out antibiotics like smarties and others are more reluctant to, so it seems to be with anti depressants. Like antibiotics it's not just down to the GP, as many patients will specifically ask for them.

Again like antibiotics I see them as very powerful drugs that do have a powerful effect on people's outcomes, but just as you shouldn't automatically chug penicillin for a sniffle, you shouldn't automatically chug SSRI's and the like for a mental sniffle. The science backs this up too. These drugs are incredibly effective, nay life savers for many of those with severe depression, but run the same as placebo with milder forms.

Tbh, I think people are to blame more than doctors, in the case of taking anti-d's if they don't need.

I know a few, who are quicker to take tablets, than see a counsellor, somehow if it's from the doctor, it's "more affective" and shure "what do the ole counsellor know, they learned it from a book!".
    You don't go to a doctor expecting them to suggest holistic treatment, personally, if I want that, I'll go straight to the source.

I must say, younger doctors, seem to be more informed, and although they'll start you on meds, you will often be placed on counselling waiting lists etc. In fact, this could be wrong, but, I don't think a GP is supposed to prescribe anti-d's long term, without having the patient reviewed by a psychiatrist (though a patient can refuse this, and the GP isn't to stop prescribing your meds..so it;s a difficult one,more so than the anti-biotics, I think.)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

I have to agree with the counselling point in the last post. Even though I'm on a combination of meds for my anxiety disorder, psychology sessions have been absolutely paramount to my recovery and staying well. I think combining meds with talk therapy is the winning formula. Important to get the right psychologist though. I was going to a lady for sessions but she wasn't right for me as lovely as she was. So I asked for a different psychologist and it made a world of difference. I'm not surprised there are so many on this thread taking antidepressants because the crowd waiting in our local mental health centre to see the psychiatrists/psychologists and attending the day centre is huge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

Sertraline 150mg for PTSD

• Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭The Strawman Argument

Currently on 75mg of Effexor for depression, no real issues so far but I feel much the same as before, probably gonna need an increased dosage.

Only previous routine prescriptions that I can recall were:
    Lexapro (20mg, 2009-10): a bit of a disaster in a few ways; expensive, seemed to have the opposite effect to what I desired, and another thing
    Oxytetracycline for acne (can't remember the dosage, 2006-08): immediately effective and ruined my evening hobby of popping spots in front of the mirror :(

Also had antibiotics/steroids for pneumonia, mono and a throat infection, usually take a multivitamin of some kind too. Not very against medication or anything but have had few times where I've actually needed them, fortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭nadey

Paroxetine for depression/anxiety, diazepam for alcohol hangovers and zimmos when I cant sleep. Weed also helps me sleep

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

wuzziwig wrote: »
    They don't do anything like that to me. No fair!!! :p

They DID do that for me, and tbh are fcuking scary. The addictive quality is scary. I ended up with a serious problem with them.

ANY drug that makes me feel 'high,' I'll never take again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭Overflow

Tramadol at the moment for a knee injury, good stuff :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

Seroquel and mylan for me sins.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭nadey

They DID do that for me, and tbh are fcuking scary. The addictive quality is scary. I ended up with a serious problem with them.

ANY drug that makes me feel 'high,' I'll never take again.

Thats the whole point of them ya mad thing,,,, who doesnt wanna be high?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

nadey wrote: »
    Thats the whole point of them ya mad thing,,,, who doesnt wanna be high?

Wow.

The point of anxiety medication is to ease anxiety. Not to get high.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

Wow.

The point of anxiety medication is to ease anxiety. Not to get high.

I took it that he was joking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭pharmaton

I just took an antihistamine cuz they help me sleep, followed by a hint of of ventolin spray and I'll be sleeping soundly any minute n

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Overflow wrote: »
    Tramadol at the moment for a knee injury, good stuff :D

Lovely little stone off those things :D

Me;

Allopurinol to prevent me getting gout.

For Judo injuries I regularly use Difene.

For fun I occasionally use Tramadol :D

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭rodge68

Stillnoct..only way I can get some sleep..

• Registered Users Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Lots of people on lots of interesting stuff.

My list includes olmesartan medoxomil and amlodipine besilate, both for hypertension, aspirin, paracetamol, ibuprofen.

Other stuff in the house: There's codant (the daughter's-basically codeine on its own in tablet form), tramadol (the wife's), and some iodine tablets. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭Letree

Just some omega 3 tabs 4 or 5 times a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭Overflow

Lovely little stone off those things :D

Me;

Allopurinol to prevent me getting gout.

For Judo injuries I regularly use Difene.

For fun I occasionally use Tramadol :D

Aye, tis quiet pleasant :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭Letree

Wibbs wrote: »
    There's a fourth possible group, hypochondriacs, the chronically well, who aren't happy unless they come back from the GP with a script.

Wibbs i think you misunderstand what true hypochondria is. I have suffered from health anxiety off and on for about 15 years. It comes and goes. I can go years without issue. But then i begin to experience symptoms and i misinterpret them as signs of serious illness. It then become a vicious cycle of worry making symptoms worse and the worsening symptoms being misinterpreted as getting sicker. For me its always symptom lead. I don't just decide out of the blue to go bothering doctors. There has also been times when i have avoided the doctor for months because i was so afraid of getting a particular diagnosis. I have suffered with depression and anxiety too. They are intertwined in my case.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭tempnam

Nothing at all for me.

A couple of years ago I was suffering badly with panic attacks and general anxiety. It was scary how quick my GP prescribed xanax.

I went back to him a few months later for a follow up and I actually had to refuse anorher prescription.

I went to counselling and practiced breathing exercises which seem to keep it at bay.

I'd always question a doctor's reasoning for jumping to write prescriptions.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Letree wrote: »
    Wibbs i think you misunderstand what true hypochondria is.
    With respect, I don't think I do. Indeed I would class it as a mental illness of varying degrees and impacts on a person's life. The objective reality would still stand, IE such a person wouldn't actually be "sick", outside of the condition of hypochondria itself.

Dont get me wrong L, in your personal circumstance it is something you suffer from, need help for and I truly hope you get it and come out the other side and hope you're getting better day by day. I'm talking more of the milder non serious cases of the same condition which IMH are the majority. If I was comparing it to an allergy, I'd equate you with someone with actual coeliac disease that is life and wellbeing threatening as opposed to the majority of those claiming "wheat insensitivity" and the like, that is based on self diagnosis, google and quackery/bullshít.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Having a bout of constipation the last few days so taking my strong stuff for that for the next couple of days. Also having my wisdom teeth out soon so will be taking an antibiotic and 2 pain medications

• Registered Users Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Witchie

2 Telfast and 2 neo-claritin a day. 1 of each in the morning and 1 of each at night to try keep my allergies under control. I also have another anti-histamine for when am not getting relief from my symptoms but it makes me like a zombie so I don't take it. I also carry an annapen in case of anaphalatic shock.

Also 2 inhalers that I dont really take.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Witchie wrote: »
    2 Telfast and 2 neo-claritin a day. 1 of each in the morning and 1 of each at night to try keep my allergies under control.

Were you told by your GP to do that? Thats a very high dose. I take one Telfast to relieve itching from a skin condition but never more then that and absolutely never another antihistamine at the same time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭Raminahobbin

I haven't taken any allopathic medication for anything for at least 11/12 years now, with the exception of getting a HEP-A vaccine before travelling to China. I have taken herbal remedies (etc) for various things and I like to treat minor issues with diet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,132 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

I take occasional ibuprofen for back pain or a headache. I'm also on a PPI for my stomach. It's a condition that I and everyone in my family have. I actually don't take it too much, it's more as needed. there have been months and months where I haven't touched the stuff.

Advertisement