Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How medicated are you?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Nicotine, Valium, Vicodin, Marijuana, Ecstasy and Alcohol...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Shrap

Um, caffeine (4 or 5 times a day), nicotine (hourly), alcohol (some evenings only). The worst powerfully addictive drugs I ever took and haven't managed to give up yet :(

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Nada. The only pills I've taken in my life are aspirin/paracetamol. Never had an antibiotic either.
    porsche959 wrote: »
    Yeah, but:

life-expectancy-throughout-history-long-trend.gif
    Well... Not quite. By far the largest shift in life expectancy has been at the start of life. The vast majority of people make it to 18 these days, go back even 100 years and this wasn't the case. A family of four or five kids could statistically expect to lose at least one of them before their teens. However if you made it to 20, your chances of seeing 70 weren't much lower than today, though far fewer made it to 80 compared to today. In any event this notion that we were all dropping off the twig at 25 is pretty much bunk, though in that period of the middle ages up to 1700 with the various plagues that ravaged Europe few enough saw old age.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

cough syrup a couple of weeks ago, that's about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Nothing. I'm hardly ever sick. Maybe a mild head/chest cold once a year, but that's about it.

In recent years, I was wrongly diagnosed with arthritis and took NSAIDs for a few weeks. I took antihistamines for a few summers but my hayfever has died down recently. I took fish oil while I was doing a lot of running, but just stopped.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭Hoop66

Two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, and a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers . . . and also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of Budweiser, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls . . .

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Sh*t loads as a result of being diabetic

Insulin: Levemir and Novorapid

Cholesterol: Lipitor and Lipantil

Damaged kidneys: Coversyl Argenine

Hiatus Hernia: Zoton

Anti diabetic Meds: Januvia

Glaucoma: some eye drops, Name escapes me at present

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

Hoop66 wrote: »
    Two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, and a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers . . . and also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of Budweiser, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls . . .

:eek:

Choose Life, Hoop, all that stuff might give you an upset tummy! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭Hoop66

I've got some Bisodol, be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Coffee, nicotine, and occasionally other recreational type medication.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,716 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Nothing at all except for the occasional Nurofen or whatever for a headache (talking 2/3 times a year here) or Gaviscon for heartburn

Haven't set foot in a GP's office in years and in general will even only take the above if it gets bad enough. It's kinda surprising I'm so "healthy" really and not even 14 stone given my bad diet, office job/sitting on my ass all day and fondness for driving everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Usually pop a couple of Lemsip if I get a bad cold. It makes short work of the symptoms, for a few hours anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Nothing, thankfully. Trying to keep it that way with some better eating habits and exercise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,086 ✭✭✭TheBeardedLady

Iron tablets and Vitamin C as I'm a bit anemic at the moment. For all you non meat eaters out there (I eat fish so can't call myself a veggie), make sure you have Vitamin C with your green veg to aid absorption. That's what I was doing wrong.

Nothing besides from that, luckily.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Andrews liver salts

• Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭Bassfish

Used to always be fighting some cold or infection until I started religiously taking cod liver oil and a multivitamin with Iron everyday. Haven't had a cold in two years, haven't needed antibiotics in three. My mother needs a fist full of prescription meds everyday so trying to stave that off as long as possible!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Take all the drugs if I have a cold otherwise just the occasional berocca and caffeine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭Summer wind

Eltroxin for underactive thyroid. I'm on it 10 years now and my blood tests are always fine but I don't feel any different to when I wasn't on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,953 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

porsche959 wrote: »
    Yeah, but:

life-expectancy-throughout-history-long-trend.gif
    Wibbs wrote: »
    Well... Not quite. By far the largest shift in life expectancy has been at the start of life. The vast majority of people make it to 18 these days, go back even 100 years and this wasn't the case. A family of four or five kids could statistically expect to lose at least one of them before their teens. However if you made it to 20, your chances of seeing 70 weren't much lower than today, though far fewer made it to 80 compared to today. In any event this notion that we were all dropping off the twig at 25 is pretty much bunk, though in that period of the middle ages up to 1700 with the various plagues that ravaged Europe few enough saw old age.

On top of that, human life expectancy is less down to the fact that we have a pill for most "ills" and more due to the lifestyles we've been living since 1400 or so.

In other words, we aren't living daily in our own piss and shit and toiling away for 7 days a week in some dangerous form of labour, while subsisting on a bare level of calories from totally inadequate foods.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭Iranoutofideas

Used to have an inhaler for asthma but stopped using it about three years ago.

Use Flixonase for allergies every so often.

That's it. Haven't been in a hospital since I was a baby thankfully. I'm 32 .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

I use 3 different creams for a skin condition, different ones for different areas.
    Alos take a mild laxative to keep things moving and sometimes a stronger one if needed. That's all my regular stuff at the moment but it changes every few months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

4 anticonvulsants a day for Epilepsy
    1 HRT pill
    Methotrexate
    Infliximab infusions
    Folic acid
    Copius amounts of painkillers
    Antihistamines

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Tony EH wrote: »
    On top of that, human life expectancy is less down to the fact that we have a pill for most "ills" and more due to the lifestyles we've been living since 1400 or so.

In other words, we aren't living daily in our own piss and shit and toiling away for 7 days a week in some dangerous form of labour, while subsisting on a bare level of calories from totally inadequate foods.
    Yep, though lifestyles varied over culture and time. EG an average Roman citizen, even slave had a far better and more varied diet than your average medieval peasant. Indeed they had a better and more varied diet than most medieval gentry. Rome was an oddball in this though. There was little difference between the average folks diet and the rich folks diet, except in quantity. With the result that 60 and 70 year old Romans weren't exactly rare. For a period in its history Roman soldiers retired in their 40's and were expected to then get hitched and start a family(though many had secret families). Then again for an average centurion their day to day life was not far off a crossfit exercise regime so they would have been in very good physical condition.

Two things really changed the maps, vaccination and clean drinking water, with antibiotics coming in third(though falling all too rapidly because people were chugging them like smarties). Major improvements in birthing medicine was another one, as a large proportion of women died in childbirth.

Allergy meds and the like are mostly a modern urban western requirement. Few enough people back in the day needed them as they had a much more diverse gut biota and more measured immune response. Antibiotics and antiseptics were and are a double edged sword. It seems that if you are exposed to an antibiotic in the first 3 years of your life it's almost a given you'll have allergies.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,802 ✭✭✭beks101

I'm pretty much permanently over-caffeinated. Though have cut down to two cups a day the last few weeks, which I'm calling a victory.
    Besides that I'm not aRsed with medication. Don't even like painkillers. I find I tend to heal from minor ailments a lot quicker if I leave my body to its own devices and don't get half the amount of colds and flus etc since I stopped using antibiotics.
    Each to their own I guess.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 489 ✭✭Sclosages

Minus one critical drug thanks to having moved country.

Wibbs wrote: »
    Yep, though lifestyles varied over culture and time. EG an average Roman citizen, even slave had a far better and more varied diet than your average medieval peasant. Indeed they had a better and more varied diet than most medieval gentry. Rome was an oddball in this though. There was little difference between the average folks diet and the rich folks diet, except in quantity. With the result that 60 and 70 year old Romans weren't exactly rare. For a period in its history Roman soldiers retired in their 40's and were expected to then get hitched and start a family(though many had secret families). Then again for an average centurion their day to day life was not far off a crossfit exercise regime so they would have been in very good physical condition.

Two things really changed the maps, vaccination and clean drinking water, with antibiotics coming in third(though falling all too rapidly because people were chugging them like smarties). Major improvements in birthing medicine was another one, as a large proportion of women died in childbirth.

Allergy meds and the like are mostly a modern urban western requirement. Few enough people back in the day needed them as they had a much more diverse gut biota and more measured immune response. Antibiotics and antiseptics were and are a double edged sword. It seems that if you are exposed to an antibiotic in the first 3 years of your life it's almost a given you'll have allergies.

Re: Roman slaves

They were property and as such were extremely valuable to their owner and therefore generally well cared for.

But, yeh, you're correct about general health in Rome, among certain quarters anyway. For soldiers, there was a hefty monetary/land gain after 25 years of service and considering that most soldiers (in AD times anyway) started their career around 20 or so, that would easily see them in service til their 40's. Pre Marian reforms, most older soldiers were used to fill out the ranks of Triarii and they could be well into their 30's and 40's. But, yes, they were generally very well cared for in terms of food and health.

Tony EH wrote: »
    Re: Roman slaves

They were property and as such were extremely valuable to their owner and therefore generally well cared for.

But, yeh, you're correct about general health in Rome, among certain quarters anyway. For soldiers, there was a hefty monetary/land gain after 25 years of service and considering that most soldiers (in AD times anyway) started their career around 20 or so, that would easily see them in service til their 40's. Pre Marian reforms, most older soldiers were used to fill out the ranks of Triarii and they could be well into their 30's and 40's. But, yes, they were generally very well cared for in terms of food and health.

Please tell me that you have posted this in the wrong forum? If not, I need more meds. Give me the meds!

Look again.

Ninja'd...

:cool:

Do I look Roman to you?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 382 ✭✭Cyber Ghost

Just a daily dose of Effexor XL 37.5 mg.
    (Used be on 150 mg) so getting there!

Advertisement