Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cross on Carauntoohill had been cut down

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

Lash a big yellow M up there, sure its private land, why not?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

It represents all the Christian denominations not just the CC.
    LOL, so important you clarified that. Changes everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

If it's not public land then what are the public getting upset about? Are the landowners upset, I've only read theJuornal article and the RTE article and there's no mention of the landowners being upset.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭madcabbage

Saipanne wrote: »
    How/why did they cut so close to the stone?

How did they get a petrol generator up a 1000m mountain?

Probably to make sure it couldn't be an easy repair job.

Should the 30 white crosses on the N4 be forcibly removed too? Some of the posters on here must be disgusted that the families of those that died erected a religious symbol in their memories.

• Advertisement

What powers them to cut through steel?
    Batteries, like the ones in your laptop.
    Why so close to the ground?
    Makes it harder to reattach!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

I'm in the middle of the road here, while I wouldn't agree with religious monuments of any kind on top of mountains and such, there was no need to cut it down in this fashion. Providing it was cut.

I think it should be re-erected, possibly more structurally sound than the last time, and whoever cut it prosected for vandalism. But new religious structures should only be placed at places of pilgrimage or worship.

Everyone should calm down flinging sh1t St the other argument too

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Whosthis

What powers them to cut through steel?

Why so close to the ground?

I'm guessing you've probably heard of batteries?

How about petrol? (Moreso for a consaw than a grinder).

They were health and safety conscious and didn't want to leave a trip hazard protruding from the ground.

It's bring to light how people feel about the issue. If it's repaired, then the public opinion should be assessed to see how people feel about it being there. Cutting it down does nothing but cause friction between two sets of groups!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

and for those pesky concrete ones :

• Registered Users Posts: 12,968 ✭✭✭✭bnt

micar wrote: »
    it's terrible thing to happen but It can just be welded back.
    Sure: if they want to, it'll take longer to schlep the welding gear up there than to actually do the repair.

But why put it back up? You Christians are hoping Jesus will return some day; but right now I imagine he's looking at all those crosses in public places, and wondering whether he would get nailed up again as soon as he touched down. Some very unpleasant reminders of his torture down here.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

Whosthis wrote: »
    I'm guessing you've probably heard of batteries?

How about petrol? (Moreso for a consaw than a grinder).

They were health and safety conscious and didn't want to leave a trip hazard protruding from the ground.
    Looking at the image it appears to have been done with a small diameter cutting disc, there are several different cuts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Bad move imo, they could have left it there it did no harm to anyone.All that's going to happen now will be a stronger and bigger one put up with the healyray clan providing 24 hr protection...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

I know enough about structural engineering & windeage to know that that structure would have survived several more decades if it wasn't cut down.

But anyway, who cares!

Glad to hear that you've carried out a complete investigation and are confident to conclude that based on a single low res photo.

All I'm saying is that these things can snap pretty dramatically due to metal fatigue and it can look like a very clean slice through it.

It needs to be investigated properly before any conclusion one way or the other is drawn.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭DarkyHughes

Was probably angry loyalist flag protesters. I'm gonna go blow an Orange lodge up for revenge. Anyone know any that hasn't been burnt down in the 26 counties yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭rok

Could this be part of the 'ISIS situation' Noel Coonan warned us about!!

rok wrote: »
    Could this be part of the 'ISIS situation' Noel Coonan warned us about!!

Yes a bunch of angle grinder wielding maniacs running around Kerry. You couldn't write this stuff!

Was probably angry loyalist flag protesters. I'm gonna go blow an Orange lodge up for revenge.
    "Blowing" an Orange lodge doesn't sound like you hate them all that much TBH?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Satriale wrote: »
    It was vandalism to stick it in the top of the mountain in the first place.

And you got 75 thanks for that. Wow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭crockholm

madcabbage wrote: »
    Yes a bunch of angle grinder wielding maniacs running around Kerry. You couldn't write this stuff!

Soon to be seen in an on-line video using the angle grinders to behead Sam Maguire:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭DarkyHughes

Dan_Solo wrote: »
    "Blowing" an Orange lodge doesn't sound like you hate them all that much TBH?

I don't hate them, it's just all part of the revolution.

And I'm not blowing them in sexual manner your dirty mind is thinking of.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭monflat

I didn't get to read all this thread but why was the cross built there in the first place?
    Was there a plane crash?
    An honest question

SpaceTime wrote: »
    Glad to hear that you've carried out a complete investigation and are confident to conclude that based on a single low res photo.

All I'm saying is that these things can snap pretty dramatically due to metal fatigue and it can look like a very clean slice through it.

It needs to be investigated properly before any conclusion one way or the other is drawn.
    When you can clearly see cuts on the metal, what other conclusion can you come to?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Molester Stallone II

When you can clearly see cuts on the metal, what other conclusion can you come to?

Joseph the carpenter upskilled?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭Calibos

The Rusty oul decrepit decaying yoke should have been left in place as it perfectly represents the rusty oul decrepit decaying religion it's a symbol of.

Kinda like how I have no problem with the oul concrete cross on Bray Head. The graffiti that covers it symbolises the loss of respect the church has experienced.

:D

monflat wrote: »
    I didn't get to read all this thread but why was the cross built there in the first place?
    Was there a plane crash?
    An honest question
    Jesus was buried there.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

keano_afc wrote: »

76 now, cheers for bringing it to my attention :cool:

keano_afc wrote: »
    It can be surprising when you are so out of touch with the prevailing sentiment alright...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

If they put a cross back up there, they should put up a symbol from every religion in Ireland. And something for the atheists too.

A science book maybe

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement