Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cross on Carauntoohill had been cut down

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,297 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Allyall wrote: »
    At the time it was erected, Ireland was a very Catholic Country, as time went on, it stood as reminder of our past.
    As per the part i bolded; by the same logic that it went up, it's come down because Ireland is no longer a very catholic country.
    Allyall wrote: »
    Are they going to go and cut down all the crosses in Glendalough because they don't agree with them?
    AFAIK, Glendalough is a monastery/holy place, whereas this was on top of a random mountain.

One of the commenters of the article had a good point;
    We do not know what terrors the perpetrators may have suffered at the hands of the Catholic Church. ‘Judge not lest ye be judged’ Matthew 7:1-3
    Climbing a mountain only to come across something you're trying to escape could lead someone to do this.
    hmmm wrote: »
    but when something has been up there long enough it becomes part of what the mountain is, and part of our heritage.
    Abuse by the RCC is part of heritage?
    FrStone wrote: »
    So you are suggesting we can destroy anything we don't agree with in a public area, if it is less than 2000 years old.
    Well, priest, since you mentioned it, yeah. There's a few churches that need knocking, as the RCC hasn't footed its share of the bill for the abuse.
    Saipanne wrote: »
    And don't start that "recognised religion" pseudo Nazi crap...
    Perhaps a swastika? Like the cross, it's a symbol of torture and death... :pac:
    Offending peoples' traditional values to show how right-on you are is just childish posturing.
    Not sure if you're on about the RCC or the atheists?

=-=

It's a f**king morbid reminder of our past. I am however surprised they just left it there. Or perhaps that was part of the message?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

SpaceTime wrote: »
    Emm.. no, I was just trying to say it was metal fatigue. We have this thing called 'science' nowadays that explain the reasons for such things.

Science requires knowledge, a curious mind and an ability to look at problems logically and objectively. That's hard. It's much easier to say "God did it". When you remove mystery from the world by using God as an explanation for everything, you can free up your mind to concentrate on the important things in life - mumbling to yourself while fiddling with beads, sitting, standing, sitting, standing, kneeling, standing, eating wafers, kneeling again, eating roast beef, watching Coronation St Omnibus and hating gays. Who wouldn't want that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

It's actually very poor journalism from RTE

http://www.rte.ie/news/2014/1122/661730-cross/

"Iconic cross on Carrauntoohil cut down"

There's absolutely no evidence as yet that it was cut. All we know is that it's 'down', how it got down is still unexplained.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

One last post (just did about 3 seconds worth of Google image searching)

There's a square lighting pole suffering from metal fatigue due to wind induced vibrations / harmonics etc.

http://polescentral.acuitybrands.com/Images/pdf%20images/wind_loading_harmonics___Wind_Induced_Vibrations_I_2.jpg

Look similar to you?!

That's not at a weld either, it's just the point on the pole where the load is highest.

I think your culprit is the wind!
    So, I guess you'll have to immediately charge Mother Nature with Blasphemy.

Also, there's actually a site called Poles Central entirely dedicated to the latest news on metal poles LOL ... totally Father Ted stuff!
    By gum, I hope they investigate and find out that that's what did it. I wonder then what all the outraged holy Joes would say if it turned out that their god had knocked it down.

kylith wrote: »
    By gum, I hope they investigate and find out that that's what did it. I wonder then what all the outraged holy Joes would say if it turned out that their god had knocked it down.

You rarely get more than a 35 year warranty on any cross kit these days. Unless you take out the special CrossInsure+ option.

I bet they didn't think of that.

It's all a big inbuilt obsolescence scam by the cross industry!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Cantremember

i wonder when our post catholic hangover will dissipate

If we were properly post Catholic we would be post religion and wouldn't describe that as a hangover.

crockholm wrote: »
    Silly post tbh.Going by your last sentence you would also be advocating the removal of the cairns on the top of the "Paps" Mountains as they are associated with the goddess Danu.

I'm comfortable enough in my agnosticism to have never been offended by the cross up there.

The cross should be restored,and if people wish to see it removed then write to Kerry County Council,the OPW,Heritage council whatever relevant authority and remove it via mandate.

Silly post tbh. You're a Christian fooling yourself and no one else that you're an agnostic.

Here's what happened to the last county that tried to take legal action against Mother Nature for the breaking of mobile phone masts and crosses:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Where the fcuk is Carauntoohill?

Right next to Carauntoohill.

It has alternative spellings and it's just hard to spell too :)

I actually saw it spelled as "Carontwohills" once.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

Get out.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,748 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

One last post (just did about 3 seconds worth of Google image searching)

There's a square lighting pole suffering from metal fatigue due to wind induced vibrations / harmonics etc.

http://polescentral.acuitybrands.com/Images/pdf%20images/wind_loading_harmonics___Wind_Induced_Vibrations_I_2.jpg

Look similar to you?!

That's not at a weld either, it's just the point on the pole where the load is highest.

I think your culprit is the wind!
    So, I guess you'll have to immediately charge Mother Nature with Blasphemy.

Also, there's actually a site called Poles Central entirely dedicated to the latest news on metal poles LOL ... totally Father Ted stuff!

If you look at the cut close up it is uneven, looks like an angle grinder to be fair, but interesting picture and definitely a possibility.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Probably the Kerry branch of ISIS. They are radicals like their Dublin brothers

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

I'm pretty sure it's private land, it's all owned by farmers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

I'm pretty sure it's private land, it's all owned by farmers.

I think so. I've hiked quite a bit around Ireland, its always private land.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,624 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

So, I guess that what you're trying to say is that God did it?
    This is the most likely explanation, imho.
    Emm.. no, I was just trying to say it was metal fatigue. We have this thing called 'science' nowadays that explain the reasons for such things.

Gave me quite a chuckle :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭crockholm

Silly post tbh. You're a Christian fooling yourself and no one else that you're an agnostic.

You either know me better than I know myself,or you don't know your arse from your elbow.

I know where I'd be placing my bets.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭jgorres

I'd just add if it was just a structural flaw, it's a very good thing it did fall down uneventfully as it could have come crashing down on tourists / pilgrims!

Here, a guy was not so lucky. Maybe it happened due to corroded nails.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭thegreatgonzo

I've climbed it twice, and I've climbed lots of other hills and mountains with people of all faiths and none. When you see the cross on the summit approaching, everyone's spirits lift, regardless of how they feel about crosses or religion or any of it. Whoever took that cross just stole a bit of that rare feeling you get when you get to the summit. That's all they've achieved, vandalism of a special place.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Probably the Kerry branch of ISIS. They are radicals like their Dublin brothers

And everyone laughed at that TD...

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭braddun

they need to put the spike that's in Dublin up there

much better looking

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭FrStone

Any planning permission sweetie?

Hahaha! That's very funny. Planning permission regulations have increased hugely in recent years. There was no requirement in 1976 to apply for that structure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Molester Stallone II

FrStone wrote: »
    Hahaha! That's very funny. Planning permission regulations have increased hugely in recent years. There was no requirement in 1976 to apply for that structure.

And ipso facto, it has no history and no reason or necessity for it to be there, bye bye

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

Should of kept it there. Scumbags.

crockholm wrote: »
    You either know me better than I know myself,or you don't know your arse from your elbow.

I know where I'd be placing my bets.

You are confused about what it means to be an agnostic. That's all.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

The world would be a much better place without the kind of people who shove their intolerant & militant Christianity/Islam/Atheism ect, down our throats. It would also appear that whoever removed the cross, must lack any sense of irony.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

I've climbed it twice, and I've climbed lots of other hills and mountains with people of all faiths and none. When you see the cross on the summit approaching, everyone's spirits lift, regardless of how they feel about crosses or religion or any of it. Whoever took that cross just stole a bit of that rare feeling you get when you get to the summit. That's all they've achieved, vandalism of a special place.

I've never climbed Carrauntoohil myself but those who have have spoken of similar sentiments to yours here.

Hopefully can be mended soon with little hassle,
    kerry4sam

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

putting the gaudy yoke there in the first place was vandalism of a special place

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

And ipso facto, it has no history and no reason or necessity for it to be there, bye bye
    Why not if it's private land?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭crockholm

You are confused about what it means to be an agnostic. That's all.

That is indeed a possibility-my understanding of being agnostic is fence-sitting between theists and atheists-I have not the sufficient capacities to fully state that there is/is not a divinity (I would Think the likelyhood of there being one to be under 1%)

You called me a Christian earlier,I can say now that I Believe that the semi-historical Jesus of Nazereth was not (imo) a manifestation of god or the holy spirit-I Think that pretty much disqualifies me from being Christian.

Alas,we have gone off on a tangent.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement