Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cross on Carauntoohill had been cut down

Options
1171819202123»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Given the fact that the catholic church has brainwashed and indoctrinated millions of people in this country, not to mention the thousands of children it's member have raped and abused and which the institution tried to cover up, some might say that the catholic church deserves to be attacked.

Its a cross not a crucifix, so its a symbol of Christianity, not Catholicism.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

Not everything has cultural or artistic significance. I haven't seen a case made that would convince anyone that this had cultural or artistic significance. If there is an argument made somewhere that this was something more than a grimly utilitarian metal crucifix, I'm all ears, but otherwise I'm operating under the assumption that it has about as much cultural or artistic significance as a road sign.

100 local people got together to put it up there 40 odd years ago. That is of cultural signifance.

Rongbuk Monastery is a bit of a blight on the landscape near Everest, yet I don't think any non-buddhists are offended by it. In fact, most expeditions to Everest make a point of going to the monastery to get the blessing of the monks to have a safe expedition. This is mainly out of respect for the local sherpa staff on the expedition.

Having also trekked a bit in the Atlas Mountains, as a Christian I wasn't offended by the various mosques all over the place. In fact there was one large one in the middle of no where which used to issue the call to prayer and I didn't notice one non-muslim getting offended by it.

In the scheme of things, the cross on Caruntoohil was very inoffensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

Just wondering, of all the people on this thread condoning the cutting down of the cross and who are pronouncing christianity as a load of drivel, how many will give their children christmas presents? Or easter eggs?
    Surely none!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,252 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

red sean wrote: »
    Just wondering, of all the people on this thread condoning the cutting down of the cross and who are pronouncing christianity as a load of drivel, how many will give their children christmas presents? Or easter eggs?
    Surely none!

Surely you know giving presents predates christianity? And can you point out the bible verse that mentions a bunny rabbit giving out chocolate eggs?

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭pueblo

Should we then destroy every piece of religious art simply because we can't all agree on the veracity (or not) of the theology behind that religion?? That also sounds a little isis..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

Cienciano wrote: »
    Surely you know giving presents predates christianity? And can you point out the bible verse that mentions a bunny rabbit giving out chocolate eggs?
    Surely you know it's Christ(mas). Or that Easter is also a christian festival!

red sean wrote: »
    Surely you know it's Christ(mas). Or that Easter is also a christian festival!

So? Both are pagan traditions that predate christianity. Lets be honest here, all the pagan parts of christmas are the good bits. The feast, the tree, giving presents, santa etc are the best parts. The most boring part is going to mass.

The backlash of people towards the Catholic church has gone too far.

People think all Catholics are fair game for ridicule and harassment. Seems to be the acceptable group to hate these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

So? Both are pagan traditions that predate christianity. Lets be honest here, all the pagan parts of christmas are the good bits. The feast, the tree, giving presents, santa etc are the best parts. The most boring part is going to mass.

I could be wrong on this one, but I understanding is that Christmas is a religious festival to commemorate the birth of Christ and Easter the death and rising of Christ.

The big pagan festivals are on 21st of December & 21st June (celebrating the winter & summer soltice).

By the way, Christianity has been around for a long time now! Our calendar is based on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭Red Pepper

Atheists in present giving shocker!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭caustic 1

Bowing out of this now going round in circles. Can't understand why there is no respect for each other if someone goes to mass and believes in God, so what, must be good to have that faith. If someone doesn't, so what, that's their choice. Maybe if everyone tried to stop claiming that theirs is the right choice and just say good for you that's your decision the world might be a happier place.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

jm08 wrote: »
    I could be wrong on this one, but I understanding is that Christmas is a religious festival to commemorate the birth of Christ and Easter the death and rising of Christ.

nope, Easter was pilfered by the Christians - originally pagan etc about fertility ( hence the hare / bunny )

its "date" was only fixed about 300ad

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭robp

santa is explicitly Christian. giving presents is universal and origin of the tree ... well that is lost in the midst of time. It may be pagan but it could be christian too. The jury is out on that one.

I think that I prefer the old Anglo Saxon calendar after all they had a month for weed :pac:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/We%C5%8Ddm%C5%8Dna%C3%BE

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭robp

The big pagan festivals are on 21st of December & 21st June (celebrating the winter & summer soltice).

By the way, Christianity has been around for a long time now! Our calendar is based on it.

In this country the 21st of December was not a pagan festival. It prob had significance if you go back far enough (to the Neolithic period) but it is really Halloween that is the pagan festival not mid winter.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭eyescreamcone

No it hasn't
    The RCC has gotten away far too lightly in my opinion for it's misdeeds

People think all Catholics are fair game for ridicule and harassment. Seems to be the acceptable group to hate these days.

Any examples of the hate, ridicule and harassment a catholic gets in everyday life?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

I could be wrong on this one, but I understanding is that Christmas is a religious festival to ..........

Christmas was banned in Massachusetts ( 1600's loopyness) because of pagan stuff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Folks this thread has a lot of off topic posts, keep posts related to the OP and away from the religious debate on the merits of Catholicism vs Atheism

Closed

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement