Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cross on Carauntoohill had been cut down

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭The Adversary

I'm in favour of removing all religious monuments across the country, whether it be iron crosses or grottos.

But this is my personal belief, I don't expect everyone to think the way I do, so until the majority support my position the religious monuments stay. im not going to go vandalise. Waste of time, energy and will probably only alienate people.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

crockholm wrote: »
    That is indeed a possibility-my understanding of being agnostic is fence-sitting between theists and atheists-I have not the sufficient capacities to fully state that there is/is not a divinity (I would Think the likelyhood of there being one to be under 1%)

You called me a Christian earlier,I can say now that I Believe that the semi-historical Jesus of Nazereth was not (imo) a manifestation of god or the holy spirit-I Think that pretty much disqualifies me from being Christian.

Alas,we have gone off on a tangent.

In AH? How unusual. That almost never happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Eramen

I've climbed it twice, and I've climbed lots of other hills and mountains with people of all faiths and none. When you see the cross on the summit approaching, everyone's spirits lift, regardless of how they feel about crosses or religion or any of it. Whoever took that cross just stole a bit of that rare feeling you get when you get to the summit. That's all they've achieved, vandalism of a special place.

Awesome post, I feel exactly the same way (I'm also an avid climber). People on the AH have a massive chip on their shoulder and can't seem to see this act for what it is - pure unadulterated thuggery.

It's time we got out of the habit of making excuses for these kind of acts.

SpaceTime wrote: »
    Thickness is irrelevant in this situation. The material looks like it wouldn't flex at all under load.

A big lump of cast iron is very strong, but if you hit it with a hammer it will fracture, especially if you hit it in just the right place.

An aircraft's built out of metal that's not much thicker than a coke can, yet it can safely take you across the atlantic. If you built it out of thicker, hard, steel it would just fracture and fall apart.

There's more to this kind of thing than just strength, you need flexibility and you need an ability to be able to withstand constant, repeating movements.

Anyway, I just hope the conspiracy theorists out there don't go blaming someone random or thinking it's some kind of atheist vigilante. It's mostly likely just that parish committees aren't really known for their structural engineering abilities!

I'm not posting any more about it, you can go off and read a few books on materials science and structural engineering :)

Or a few hours of Aircrash Investigations!
    I know enough about structural engineering & windeage to know that that structure would have survived several more decades if it wasn't cut down.

But anyway, who cares!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Cantremember

Eramen wrote: »
    Awesome post, I feel exactly the same way (I'm also an avid climber). People on the AH have a massive chip on their shoulder and can't seem to see this act for what it is - pure unadulterated thuggery.

Awesome. Avid. Massive. Pure. Unadulterated. Thuggery.
    Would this be absolutely over exaggeration in an amazing basic sort of way. :D

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,618 ✭✭✭The Diabolical Monocle

A new one will be installed.
    Which will then be cut down some months later.
    Another will then be installed.

This cycle may repeat.
    But my money is on the religious winning this one in the end.
    They're more organized, focused and better funded, plus they can summon Jesus and have +10 plague and pestilence weapons.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

I think, in order to be thuggery, there would need to be some violence against another person.

If you look closely at the image https://img.rasset.ie/0009cda5-614.jpg you can see the cuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Out of curiosity how would people feel about a non-religious icon/monument being put in its place? Some sort of memorial to those who have lost their lives on the mountain

Eramen wrote: »

I agree. Without regarding beliefs, this is pure vandalism. Anywho would support it needs to take a long hard look at their morality.

• Advertisement

I agree. Without regarding beliefs, this is pure vandalism. Anywho would support it needs to take a long hard look at their morality.

I think it is hilarious. what is wrong with my morality exactly?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Cantremember

A huge statue of the McSavage priest pervert character? Maybe a statue of the spaghetti monster?

FunLover18 wrote: »
    Out of curiosity how would people feel about a non-religious icon/monument being put in its place? Some sort of memorial to those who have lost their lives on the mountain
    Maybe just a height marker at the summit but nothing more than that.

They should be made carry a new one on their back all the way up to the top...and whipped all the way.

Oh no wait.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

Anybody who supports the Catholic church should do likewise.
    A pompous eyesore ruining a scene that is beautiful precisely because we're not in it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,684 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

I think it is hilarious. what is wrong with my morality exactly?
    You see nothing wrong with wrecking someone else's private property?

Wrecking by putting a big ****ty cross on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 39 glenmac

I think that the cute hoors in Kerry will come up with a plan to bring people up on guided walks to view the vandalised cross and make a few bob.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Barely There

Religious symbols should be forcibly removed from public places such as this.

Well done whoever cut it down.

Mountain summits belong to people of all faiths and none - not just Christians.

no, I wouldn't be overly concerned. I have no idea why it would be ok to mess with that veiw based on religion, but the government will interfere with an individual putting up a conservatory. it makes no sense.

• Advertisement

Dan_Solo wrote: »
    Wrecking by putting a big ****ty cross on it?
    It's their land, they are the ones doing the community a favour by letting others enjoy it. The Irish walking community has enough problems with access and rights of way without other groups pissing off the landowners

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

If you look closely at the image https://img.rasset.ie/0009cda5-614.jpg you can see the cuts.

How/why did they cut so close to the stone?

How did they get a petrol generator up a 1000m mountain?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Whosthis

Saipanne wrote: »
    How/why did they cut so close to the stone?

How did they get a petrol generator up a 1000m mountain?

You can buy cordless angle grinders.

It's not public

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/dogs-banned-from-carrantuohill-238367.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭crockholm

This would also mean having to remove the pre-historic cairns from the top of the nearby paps Mountains as they are associated with the goddess danu.

Lots of our archaeology is religious in nature,pre-christian,early christian etc etc,so do you propose bulldozing all our history or as I suspect just one religion in particular.

Were you also happy to hear of the destruction of the Buddha statues of bamiyan?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

Whosthis wrote: »
    You can buy cordless angle grinders.

What powers them to cut through steel?

Why so close to the ground?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I've climbed it twice, and I've climbed lots of other hills and mountains with people of all faiths and none. When you see the cross on the summit approaching, everyone's spirits lift, regardless of how they feel about crosses or religion or any of it. Whoever took that cross just stole a bit of that rare feeling you get when you get to the summit. That's all they've achieved, vandalism of a special place.
    Surely that's to do with having the end in sight, rather than coming into view of a cross? Any kind of summit marker would do the same job.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Dan_Solo wrote: »
    Anybody who supports the Catholic church should do likewise.
    A pompous eyesore ruining a scene that is beautiful precisely because we're not in it.

It represents all the Christian denominations not just the CC.

• Advertisement

So have a democratic vote on it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement